Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

omnibobb posted:

Yeah that makes me super stoked. I just don't know if I'll have the money or 3 sets between this and Doomtown.

And I'm sure no one in the store will play it :(

Go go db0!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SuperKlaus posted:

Mmmmhmmm. I'm not into the nids or crons but I do wish FFG would clarify their plans for those factions some more. For all that I've been posting and theorydeckbuilding I too might not actually buy this game until a few months post-release have given it time to be studied. Have some real gripes from listening to Netrunner hype that I don't wanna repeat.

They've said they're getting their own expansion(s) later on. I don't know why that's not enough when they don't announce future stuff more than a few months out, and the first cycle of packs hasn't even shipped yet.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

omnibobb posted:

Yeah that makes me super stoked. I just don't know if I'll have the money or 3 sets between this and Doomtown.

And I'm sure no one in the store will play it :(

Do you have any 40k players? Because they're the most obvious ones to get into the game.

Also I'm probably just going to buy 2 core sets and trade with my buddies for the cards we actually want for the factions we plan on actually playing, since it looks like there will be a decent amount of us who want to get into the game.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
No 40K player really. We barely have any non-Magic card games at all besides Pokemon.

I'm slowly dragging people into Netrunner and it seems we will have a small Doomtown group though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I really kinda wish Conquest allowed for 2-4 players, like Blood Bowl Team Manager. I realize it'll get incredibly clusterfucky, but FFG really needs a solid MP LCG.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

GrandpaPants posted:

I really kinda wish Conquest allowed for 2-4 players, like Blood Bowl Team Manager. I realize it'll get incredibly clusterfucky, but FFG really needs a solid MP LCG.

There's not a lot of reason that Conquest couldn't work as a mutliplayer game later on it's possible they do like they did for Star Wars and later release a deluxe expansion that gives 10 or so card be faction that work in a multiplayer game along with rules for multiplayers. I don't think you'll ever see them print a game with the intent of having 4+ players in a single game though. A tournament for that type of thing could be difficult to manage.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Karnegal posted:

What didn't you like about Netrunner because it feels like a way stronger game to me. Not that Conquest might not be solid, but I wouldn't consider it on the same tier.

Dozens and dozens of breathless posts about how important player skill was - and of course it is still a listmaking game and bringing a poor deck (Hay guyz my dekc uses Hard at Work to power Leviathin + Disrupter rig!!1) or a rock to your opponent's paper sinks you before you begin. I don't actually really knock Netrunner for this because All Listmaking Games Do It and WH40K can't be different. But it's a reminder to take your salt when reading information before a game has shaken itself out.

Similar breathless posts about how it was interactive, usually based on nothing more than Richard Garfield saying "I made it more interactive." And the meta quickly moved to the likes of Noiseshop and Fast Advance, decks that I find deeply uninteractive and boring. I actually find the basic run structure unsatisfying too, really, given how it's the Corp setting up a wall and then sitting and watching the Runner smash into it. That's my bigger beef with Netrunner, and why this...

PaintVagrant posted:

Ok, so I got a chance to get on a device with an actual keyboard. Conquest thoughts:

...units are 95% of the economy in this game, as well as the path to your win conditions.

Thats a lot of :words: hope someone finds it useful.

...thing here in accord with my initial impressions is so encouraging (grain of salt permitting)! In 40k it looks like you are GOING to put your plans in the way of the enemy and you are GOING to engage in back and forth striving for supremacy. I don't want to be bagging on Netrunner though I still get joy from playing it and this isn't even its thread :)

PaintVagrant I'd hit a like button for your post if the forum had one.

GrandpaPants posted:

100% agreed. That's actually the other thing that might keep me from actually buying the game I'm spending so much thought on. Frankly I have a few strictly 2p games already and that niche has precious little space to grow.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

GrandpaPants posted:

LOTR is a solid MP LCG :colbert:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Someone define what "listmaking game" means because I feel like this is just a really snarky condescending way to talk about games where the deck is preconstructed and boy howdy that's a great way to lead off your argument, condescension.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

Someone define what "listmaking game" means because I feel like this is just a really snarky condescending way to talk about games where the deck is preconstructed and boy howdy that's a great way to lead off your argument, condescension.

It sounds like the bog standard "Deck X is too strong and everyone runs it" complaint in disguise. You know basically the thing that happens in literally every CCG/TCG ever made. In fairness to him, he did make the latter point, but if you know that's the case then I don't know how you'd be surprised when it in fact happened.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

vulturesrow posted:

It sounds like the bog standard "Deck X is too strong and everyone runs it" complaint in disguise. You know basically the thing that happens in literally every CCG/TCG ever made. In fairness to him, he did make the latter point, but if you know that's the case then I don't know how you'd be surprised when it in fact happened.

Star Wars is the worst for this. Because your deckbuilding is really only ten choices you have people looking at a list and going "Oh he was running Sleuth Scouts" even though those objectives were only 2/10 objectives in his deck and the other 8 could be anything else but because that single thing is so popular that everything that runs it gets pigeon-holed into "X deck archetype".

I agree with him that Netrunner is actually fairly uninteractive in a lot of ways, or rather the interaction is asynchronous and only a few cards break that. I wish there was more choice given in individual encounters with ICE and maybe someday we'll see that happen but right now I find the game to be really boring once the Runner has all their breakers up which I think they made a mistake of making entirely too easy to do, but there's a lot of things I'd change in that core set; oh well.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Literally The Worst posted:

Hey easy there. Nothing was meant by that. I said I still find joy in Netrunner. "Boy howdy [sarcasm]" could be taken as condescension too ya know. Let's agree to assume we are mutually speaking with good intentions.

A list-making game is one where you get to put together the assets you'll use in the game ahead of time, customizing your deck or whatever and choosing a limited number of a wide number of options. As opposed to a game like Eclipse, where you do get to pick a faction but it's all prepackaged and not open to tinkering. You make lists, like what minis games players call their armies. X-Wing does it, Netrunner does it, Conquest is doing it. I have played and enjoyed the first two. Complaints about them exist but don't really have a lot to do with the fact that you make lists.

My only statement was that I read hype posts about ANR that claimed list-making a.k.a. deck-building didn't significantly affect who won the game, and that's pretty well an impossibility for any game that lets you make those pre-game decisions, and therefore I take that experience with ANR's release as a reminder to give game reviewers some time to settle down and think before I really trust their reviews. We cool here?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

SuperKlaus posted:

Hey easy there. Nothing was meant by that. I said I still find joy in Netrunner. "Boy howdy [sarcasm]" could be taken as condescension too ya know. Let's agree to assume we are mutually speaking with good intentions.

A list-making game is one where you get to put together the assets you'll use in the game ahead of time, customizing your deck or whatever and choosing a limited number of a wide number of options. As opposed to a game like Eclipse, where you do get to pick a faction but it's all prepackaged and not open to tinkering. You make lists, like what minis games players call their armies. X-Wing does it, Netrunner does it, Conquest is doing it. I have played and enjoyed the first two. Complaints about them exist but don't really have a lot to do with the fact that you make lists.

My only statement was that I read hype posts about ANR that claimed list-making a.k.a. deck-building didn't significantly affect who won the game, and that's pretty well an impossibility for any game that lets you make those pre-game decisions, and therefore I take that experience with ANR's release as a reminder to give game reviewers some time to settle down and think before I really trust their reviews. We cool here?

Obviously awful lists exist, but the argument about Netrunner has often been that it allows for a high diversity of potentially successful lists. Tournament results seem to bear this out and even decks that are billed as wildly over represented are usually a minority of the field, and even then, deck-to-deck there is a lot of variance. Compared to Magic, Netrunner seems to offer tournaments with much more variability. When I played Magic competitively (the past 6 years to this April), Standard usually had 2-3 really viable decks and the lists were nearly identical with sideboards being the main source of variation. Even eternal formats like Legacy had pretty stock lists - like if I played against a BUG deck or a Devler deck, I could probably write out their maindeck from memory and get somewhere in neighborhood of 56-60 cards out of 60 correct.

When I played Netrunner at GenCon I only ran into one Andy (who I feel like people say is really overplayed) in 7 rounds, and while I played against 3 different HB core identities, all three were fairly different from each other, and all 3 were different from my own HB core identity deck. Games with deck/army building are probably more skill-intensive on average than a standard board game because you have to essentially start playing the game before you get to the table and give at least some consideration to the meta. But, deckbuilding/tweaking IS a player skill. If it's not one you like, that's totally fine, but it doesn't make people who say these games have a high skill cap wrong.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Basically any time someone goes "Well it's all the same and it's just about who brings the Best List" it means they don't know what they're actually talking about. This goes for any game, not just ANR or MtG.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

vulturesrow posted:

This is a great review. Anything you didn't like? Which factions/decks do you think we're hurry most by lack m of multiples?

My gut feeling is Eldar really want 3 cores. Their whole schtick seems to revolve around recursion and using clutch combat interupts to change the flow of a battle...so if they cant draw those easily then they are in trouble.

So far there isnt a game mechanic that I dislike, but there are a few cards that I am a little concerned with as far as power level. But its way to early to be really worried about that stuff.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

PaintVagrant posted:

My gut feeling is Eldar really want 3 cores. Their whole schtick seems to revolve around recursion and using clutch combat interupts to change the flow of a battle...so if they cant draw those easily then they are in trouble.

So far there isnt a game mechanic that I dislike, but there are a few cards that I am a little concerned with as far as power level. But its way to early to be really worried about that stuff.

Eldar's ability to move around between planets is pretty cool too but I think you're right that that they'll really benefit as a primary faction from having a 2nd or 3rd core. I thought they were a fun faction to play with a single core though and I won the one game I played as them (against Orks). I also think they'll make a really interesting ally faction, even with a single core.

I will say that, right now and from my limited experience, the Ranged keyword seems pretty uber and with something like the Ork unit that can take damage to refresh + Rokkit Launcha you can gently caress poo poo up without your opponent getting any chances to withdraw. That IG card that gives multiple units Ranged is nutso too.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I feel like all the factions are hamstrung without 3 cores. I was having a ball running DE + chaos, but the deck is just missing so many core cards. It felt like a lot of our games came down to who didn't draw a bunch of stuff clogging up our decks because we couldn't construct streamlined decks.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:

PaintVagrant posted:

Ok, so I got a chance to get on a device with an actual keyboard. Conquest thoughts:

This. I got the chance to play 8 or 9 games on Saturday and had a blast. Everything positive you had to say about the game I completely agree with, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how the meta plays out and how good some of these cards I've been overlooking are.

I played against every warlord except the Tau and Ork generals. Eldar seem like they will definitely take some skill to play but could be really good once solid 3x decks start popping up. I am fairly cheesed off with FFG for that approach, but it is what it is.

Chaos + Orks seem very good right now to me. The Chaos sorcerer ability may be the best warlord ability, and it combos with lots of ork 1 dmg abilities (Ork Kannon, Snotling Attack, Burna Boyz, etc). Then just use the rest to power those nasty AOE demons to get em out fast. That deck seems pretty gross this early in the game.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
There's a version of Conquest out for OCTGN. Played one game with it, everything seemed to work perfectly. This is just for the game, no card images :filez:

https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B8geCsIJfzWAZklDemNoU3FCNHM

Got rocked pretty well by a Chaos/Ork deck, I was running DE/Eldar. Orks are so much stronger stat wise, you really feel it at least with the deck I was running. I definitely made a few misplays deploying people at bad spots and wasting a shield or two, but I'm definitely really loving this game. There's a lot of decisions to make every turn. Do not fail winning command phases, you will starve to death with no money or cards, haha.

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 21, 2014

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Dre2Dee2 posted:

There's a version of Conquest out for OCTGN. Played one game with it, everything seemed to work perfectly. This is just for the game, no card images :filez:

https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B8geCsIJfzWAZklDemNoU3FCNHM

Got rocked pretty well by a Chaos/Ork deck, I was running DE/Eldar. Orks are so much stronger stat wise, you really feel it at least with the deck I was running. I definitely made a few misplays deploying people at bad spots and wasting a shield or two, but I'm definitely really loving this game. There's a lot of decisions to make every turn. Do not fail winning command phases, you will starve to death with no money or cards, haha.

Carteret and I played a game last night on OCTGN. We just went with the core Ork and Marine Decks since the primary purpose was to learn the mechanics. We had to knock it off because it was getting late. If we had played it out I have a feeling he would've won. I'd managed to draw a bunch of cards but was lacking in resources. Orks seem pretty strong in their base form. Marines seemed a little more all over the place to me. My favorite card in the Marine deck after one game is the location card that you can exhaust to bring a unit that you just got destroyed in combat back into your hand. Eager recruit is nice too although he managed to negate what I thought was going to be a nice play on my part using shields. The shield mechanic is pretty nifty, if annoying when you are on the wrong end of it. Not really sure what the focus of a Marine deck should be but Orks seemed pretty straightforward. Really a lot of factors to juggle when playing and considering what you are going to do. Really fun game.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
When is the street date for Conquest anyways?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
It hasnt been announced. Best guess based off the "on the boat" date and FFGs usual timeline from that to store is third week of September.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Carteret and I tilted again last night, this time we were able to play out the game. We picked random core decks, he got Chaos, I rolled Orks first but we played those the first night so the reroll gave me Eldar. Chaos is hella strong out of the box, they can poo poo out some serious damage. Eldar have some nifty abilities and definitely requires some good play to get the most out of those abilities. Carteret ended up winning but his victory has an asterisk next to it because my warlord got bloodied at the very first combat round of the game due our misunderstanding of a rule. I'll get you next time Carteret! :argh:

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

Carteret and I tilted again last night, this time we were able to play out the game. We picked random core decks, he got Chaos, I rolled Orks first but we played those the first night so the reroll gave me Eldar. Chaos is hella strong out of the box, they can poo poo out some serious damage. Eldar have some nifty abilities and definitely requires some good play to get the most out of those abilities. Carteret ended up winning but his victory has an asterisk next to it because my warlord got bloodied at the very first combat round of the game due our misunderstanding of a rule. I'll get you next time Carteret! :argh:

Where did you get deck files to use with OCTGN?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

:smugdog: 2-0, asterisk or not, still sounds good to me. :smugdog: How this game handles actions at instant speed leads to silly stuff, like Zarathur’s Flamers attacking, then sacrificing for extra damage. The burst potential is something to be aware of.

Edit:

ReadingZucchini posted:

Where did you get deck files to use with OCTGN?

All answers lead here.

Carteret fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 24, 2014

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Carteret posted:

:smugdog: 2-0, asterisk or not, still sounds good to me. :smugdog: How this game handles actions at instant speed leads to silly stuff, like Zarathur’s Flamers attacking, then sacrificing for extra damage. The burst potential is something to be aware of.

Being able to use an exhausted unit's ability seems counterintuitive to me and has some potential to be broken. But it seems to be an intentional design decision, so we'll see. Perhaps it was done to keep the game length down.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Carteret posted:

Wait, your able to use actions like that? :stare: I thought you could only use them during specific action 'windows', but hell if I know if I've been doing it right

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Wait, your able to use actions like that? :stare: I thought you could only use them during specific action 'windows', but hell if I know if I've been doing it right

I know, right?! I would never have even thought about it, until I read about that exact scenario on FFGs promo: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4919

The action window during combat happens after each unit swings to attack, before the other player has a chance to swing. An Action: can be used on any card, even if exhausted, unless that Action requires the unit to be exhausted as a cost.

Carteret fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 24, 2014

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Carteret posted:

All answers lead here.

By the way the thread on BGG turned into a big slapfight over using the images. Not sure if it was warranted or not.

e: If anyone wants to play on OCTGN look me up on steam, same username as here.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Carteret posted:

I know, right?! I would never have even thought about it, until I read about that exact scenario on FFGs promo: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4919

The action window during combat happens after each unit swings to attack, before the other player has a chance to swing. An Action: can be used on any card, even if exhausted, unless that Action requires the unit to be exhausted as a cost.

The last part of the Rules Reference doc has a Action window chart that demonstrates this as well.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

Being able to use an exhausted unit's ability seems counterintuitive to me and has some potential to be broken. But it seems to be an intentional design decision, so we'll see. Perhaps it was done to keep the game length down.

It's no different than being able to use an ability that doesn't require tapping in Magic, this isn't exactly some new thing in games. The only problem here is the wording and that you have the spill over from Board Games people, who are used to the "once I use a card it's useless until I refresh it" crowd. Star Wars uses the same style of system, Lord of the Rings uses something similar.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 24, 2014

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004

Carteret posted:

All answers lead here.

For anyone else curious, you can open the .nupkg after renaming it to .zip. The decklists are found in \def\Decks.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

ReadingZucchini posted:

For anyone else curious, you can open the .nupkg after renaming it to .zip. The decklists are found in \def\Decks.

Also, as of last night or so, its on the OCTGN game channel, so you dont have to do anything and it will update automatically when you run it. Just find it and install it from the list.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Yo Jedit, my Shadowfist cards came in today. These wooden tokens are nice but it seems like the ink is rubbing off already, any workarounds for that? Also are there any third parties that do playmats or custom tokens?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PaybackJack posted:

Yo Jedit, my Shadowfist cards came in today. These wooden tokens are nice but it seems like the ink is rubbing off already, any workarounds for that? Also are there any third parties that do playmats or custom tokens?

I don't know about the wooden tokens - the KS ones were stamped. You don't really need custom ones, though, anything to mark damage and track power will do.

You can get a playmat with the CiK box art from Shadowfist.com.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jedit posted:

I don't know about the wooden tokens - the KS ones were stamped. You don't really need custom ones, though, anything to mark damage and track power will do.

You can get a playmat with the CiK box art from Shadowfist.com.

These are wooden and stamped but it seems like they dusted them with charcoal or something that is now rubbing off the tokens. Are there any third party resouces for playmats with the zones located on the cards ala the posters that came in CiK? Obviously this wouldn't be an issue for experienced players but this seems like a game that won't come out very often and there will almost always be a new person at the table.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

These are wooden and stamped but it seems like they dusted them with charcoal or something that is now rubbing off the tokens. Are there any third party resouces for playmats with the zones located on the cards ala the posters that came in CiK? Obviously this wouldn't be an issue for experienced players but this seems like a game that won't come out very often and there will almost always be a new person at the table.

Oh, that kind of playmat. No, I don't think there is. However, apart from having two Sites per location and there being two graveyards per player the layout is very similar to Netrunner Corp.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Jedit posted:

Oh, that kind of playmat. No, I don't think there is. However, apart from having two Sites per location and there being two graveyards per player the layout is very similar to Netrunner Corp.

Hows the Doomtown Reloaded LP coming out did I just completely missed you putting it up? The link someone posted to the article about the winner's deck at Gen Con has seriously piqued my interest in this game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

vulturesrow posted:

Hows the Doomtown Reloaded LP coming out did I just completely missed you putting it up? The link someone posted to the article about the winner's deck at Gen Con has seriously piqued my interest in this game.

I haven't done it yet. I'm being lazy, I guess, but I need to do it all in one day as I don't have anywhere to keep a trestle set up for longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Jedit posted:

I haven't done it yet. I'm being lazy, I guess, but I need to do it all in one day as I don't have anywhere to keep a trestle set up for longer.

Just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed it somehow. I'll be happy whenever it gets done and if you don't have the time or inclination, such is life. I'll just look at some gameplay videos on Youtube. I know Team Covenant has a full gameplay demo posted there from Gen Con that I've been meaning to watch.