Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Chrpno posted:

My god, 80's keyboards(in particular the DX7) have ruined and dated many a good performance. Check out some mid 80's Bonnie Raitt or Stevie Ray to see what I mean...

This and Simmon's drums. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbW2BVhTMkM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.
tone mold???

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
80's synth chat:

I have one of these and it's the most gloriously 80's thing ever.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Jedrick posted:

80's synth chat:

Slow as poo poo envelopes, even with the mexx (or someshit) multitimbral/performance boost board. Really lame pcm sample mangling, the ringmod is just on/off. Terrible ui without the programmer or a computer.2/10 would maybe drunkenly fondle at a party.

Edit. Slightly nostalgic atm, play a beautiful song on yours.

W424 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 23, 2014

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Actuary X posted:

Changing my name to Synthesizer X, buying that shirt and also this sofa.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2011/11/29/awesome-synthesizer-sofa/

I'm moving soon, guess what you just convinced me that I need to buy for furniture?

Also I will hear no ill against the DX-7 dammit.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

White Dog Eggs posted:

Shout out to Oscar Romeo Romeo for sending me some truely awful knobs/tips and a cool little lego guy by special delivery. You are an officer and a gentleman.

Its a trap. You now have to build three awful guitars.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Jedrick posted:

80's synth chat:

It's also responsible for one of the most commonly heard sounds in the world, the "aaaah" at the start of the Simpsons theme.

Chrpno fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 24, 2014

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

I don't know why I find the neat presentation of the power cord so funny.

Maybe its because I work for a department store that's desperately trying to push add on sales and this reminded me of the images from a recent training manual for how to sell a camera bag (yes, that happened) instructed staff to mention key selling points as, "It has a strap!" and my favourite, "You can close the lid for extra protection!". Gotta show off every minute detail of the item or you aren't doing your job! :thumbsup:

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 24, 2014

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

You should see the cord that came with my Juno 106, piggyback plug, right angle at both ends, thin & flexible, it's a work of art.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The power cord that came with my Mininova is ridiculously short :smith: Like, if I ever play shows with it, I'm gonna have to either get a new one or set up right next to an outlet because that thing won't reach for poo poo.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Maybe its because I work for a department store that's desperately trying to push add on sales and this reminded me of the images from a recent training manual for how to sell a camera bag (yes, that happened) instructed staff to mention key selling points as, "It has a strap!" and my favourite, "You can close the lid for extra protection!". Gotta show off every minute detail of the item or you aren't doing your job! :thumbsup:

I swear I read the exact same thing when I worked at Maplin about 7 years ago. Nice to see that retail never changes.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The power cord that came with my Mininova is ridiculously short :smith: Like, if I ever play shows with it, I'm gonna have to either get a new one or set up right next to an outlet because that thing won't reach for poo poo.

The power cord that came with my Ultranova is only 3 feet long. The first thing I did when I loaded it up in the gig bag was add a 10 foot extension cord so I could play shows without having to be against the back wall of the stage where the outlets are.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
the best 80s synth is the millioniser 2000 was that posted here already? may have seen it from here but still

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRPI_fD0iKQ

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

This is nine and a half minutes and worth a view or two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtUrpzkfeuI

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
I seriously don't understand synths unless there's knobs to twiddle, but on the other hand I'm dumb as hell.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

tacodaemon posted:

This is nine and a half minutes and worth a view or two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtUrpzkfeuI

Instant disappointment when i realized I misread "Dick Denney" as "Dick Cheney"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

shiksa posted:

I seriously don't understand synths unless there's knobs to twiddle, but on the other hand I'm dumb as hell.
What synth doesn't have knobs to twiddle, though?

If there's no knobs, it's automatically a piece of poo poo that you don't want to be playing.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

If there's no knobs, it's automatically a piece of poo poo that you don't want to be playing.

those 80s rear end ones posted look like its just buttons and stuff. full disclosure i've never owned a real synth cause i can't play keyboard well. it might be a chicken/egg thing on that front though.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IMpElp0a_Q

This guy has a whole series of synth demos that are really weird/neat. I always coveted an Ensoniq ESQ-1, and this series makes me want one even more.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncIoh2CP3Lc
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osll7E0f0IY

[/synthtalk]

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Wrong

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Synthesizer chat :whoptc:

I am imagining that you all look like this dude:

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

All those synths that have buttons instead of knobs look like they'd be about as tedious to program as an '80s VCR

W424
Oct 21, 2010

tacodaemon posted:

All those synths that have buttons instead of knobs look like they'd be about as tedious to program as an '80s VCR

Typically with a computer editor, sysex/cc box, ipad etc. Editing from the frontpanel is total bullshit.

W424 fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 24, 2014

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

unlawfulsoup posted:

Synthesizer chat :whoptc:

I am imagining that you all look like this dude:

What about this dude? :coal:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Clitch posted:

What about this dude? :coal:

Pete does not look happy to be there.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
The chances are >0 that the photo in question was taken by a stark naked Keith Moon.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

W424 posted:

Typically with a computer editor, sysex/cc box, ipad etc. Editing from the frontpanel is total bullshit.

Here are some people who agree: it's an EQ with no panel controls, software/plugin only.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

strangemusic posted:

Here are some people who agree: it's an EQ with no panel controls, software/plugin only.

Two versions of Microwave 2/xt

edit. stick around till 1:08 to hear the sound dudes been looking for over 23 years, people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud5cia_s2ZA

W424 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 24, 2014

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

W424 posted:

edit. stick around till 1:08 to hear the sound dudes been looking for over 23 years, people.

Certainly worth waiting for. Should be good for playing the first second of Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, I suppose.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

If I squint it kind of looks like four-eyed satan

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Code Jockey posted:

If I squint it kind of looks like four-eyed satan

Woah weird coincidence

that's what the nurse said about me when i was born

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

W424 posted:

Two versions of Microwave 2/xt

SERIOUSLY a synth that fits in an optical bay??

Well poo poo. Now I need like ten of them and a Thermaltake case.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 25, 2014

W424
Oct 21, 2010

strangemusic posted:

SERIOUSLY a synth that fits in an optical bay??

Well poo poo. Now I need like ten of them and a Thermaltake case.

It also needs the included ISA soundcard, good luck with that.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Reverb got rid of the weird section. :( Nope still there. :D

White Dog Eggs posted:

I swear I read the exact same thing when I worked at Maplin about 7 years ago. Nice to see that retail never changes.

This worries me, Maplins are supposed to be the clever ones. Our latest training manual for audio had this little gem, "Hi-Fi system power is often measured in watts, the higher the watts, the louder the volume"

I spent two years stamping out that myth on the department and that loving manual just got handed to everybody, who will fail their annual appraisal should they forget to parrot the word of god head office.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 25, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Reverb got rid of the weird section. :( Nope still there. :D

This worries me, Maplins are supposed to be the clever ones. Our latest training manual for audio had this little gem, "Hi-Fi system power is often measured in watts, the higher the watts, the louder the volume"

I spent two years stamping out that myth on the department and that loving manual just got handed to everybody, who will fail their annual appraisal should they forget to parrot the word of god head office.

But.... More Watts = more good! At least shops aren't listing pmpo output now I guess, not that rms is much better. My 5w Valve amp is louder than my 30w speakers (sorry about the spergin', but I always end up getting asked about amps and trying to talk people out of buying a 30 watt valve amp).

Maplin is a weird place to work, I was supposed to be one of the 'techie' guys but 85% of my job was being shouted at by the boss for not selling Monster Cables, 10% was getting shouted at by customers for not having whatever esoteric electrical component in stock and the other 5% was actually advising customers. Kind of poo poo tbh.

Anyway, apologies for the lack of pictures! I'd like to tell you I was busy, but I've actually been getting drunk all weekend. Pretty fun, but I messed up the pickguard a little because I thought it would be a good idea to bore the holes to the pots at 2pm with a headfull of homebrewed banana wine. I'll take some when I get a free minute.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

White Dog Eggs posted:

But.... More Watts = more good! At least shops aren't listing pmpo output now I guess, not that rms is much better. My 5w Valve amp is louder than my 30w speakers (sorry about the spergin', but I always end up getting asked about amps and trying to talk people out of buying a 30 watt valve amp).

I do 90% of my playing through a (modded) 5 watt Fender Champion 600.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Actuary X posted:

Would

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Actuary X posted:

Is that a proper Tone T-shirt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:

Pondex posted:

Is that a proper Tone T-shirt?

what do you think the T stands for?

• Locked thread