Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Baron Bifford posted:

I wonder just what life in the Earth Kingdom was like that the people would revolt the moment their queen died and that wall was knocked down. Usually the death of a monarch does not cause this; the heir to the throne takes over and life goes on. As with the Equalist movement, there's a lot of important backstory that the show leaves unexplained.

Even though the rest of the world had gone through a big industrial revolution, Ba Sing Se looked almost exactly like it did in the first show. I think you're meant to assume not a whole lot had changed and it had gotten even more corrupt at the top. In the first show, the Earth King was a patsy, but in this one the Earth Queen was a willing participant in the whole secret police business. I'm sure Mako and Bolin's grandma wasn't the only person kissing the portrait of the queen goodnight, so I just assume it was like any fascist dictatorship and the civil unrest was always there, waiting for an opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Pau posted:

I hope Toph shows up in season 4 and teaches Korra how to use bending to cope with disabilities.

Now I kind of want to see her fighting from a wheelchair. If there's any show that could pull it off, it's this one. Besides, you know Korra would do it if she had to. She'll fight you chained up, she'll fight you poisoned and dying, she'll fight you from a wheelchair. Korra don't give a gently caress. :black101:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Spergatory posted:

Now I kind of want to see her fighting from a wheelchair. If there's any show that could pull it off, it's this one. Besides, you know Korra would do it if she had to. She'll fight you chained up, she'll fight you poisoned and dying, she'll fight you from a wheelchair. Korra don't give a gently caress. :black101:

And it's not like it's unprecedented in this show, the machinist's son helped out in his wheelchair glider a couple of times in AtLA.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I'm pretty sure she's not permanently disabled. The show itself said she'll be okay already. This is more of a mental obstacle than a physical one.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DrSunshine posted:

Korra should get metal limbs or some kind of exoskeleton just like Combustion Man and become an awesome bending cyborg. :awesomelon:
Especially since mercury poisoning causes muscle atrophy anyway :stonk:

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
I don't think the wheelchair is for her actually losing the ability to walk, but rather just her being too weak and exhausted to do any extended physical exertion. I doubt cyborg prosthetics will be necessary.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

achillesforever6 posted:

Especially since mercury poisoning causes muscle atrophy anyway :stonk:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_poisoning#Mercuric_cyanide personality changes.. Interesting

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I hope Season 4 is basically a kid-friendly version of Steel Ball Run with Korra and Asami. Korra gets the use of her legs back by obtaining parts of Avatar Wan's corpse, or a lighter substitute, if dead bodies are too gruesome.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Every day I find another reason I'm glad no one in this thread is allowed anywhere near the storyboard team.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Not even... me?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AshB posted:

Every day I find another reason I'm glad no one in this thread is allowed anywhere near the storyboard team.

Everyone laugh at this fool who doesn't want President Raiko to do whatever it takes for the benefit of his country with his stand spirit guide, Dirty De Joo Dee Four Cee.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
To the point of whether Zaheer was right or wrong:

Ignoring the fact that the natural state of humans in Avatar is living on the backs of lion turtles with varying degrees of social hierarchy, the natural state of all social mammals is one in which there is a social structure and a hierarchy.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
But Zaheer was right that monarchy is bullshit, and an Avatar that reinforces the status quo is ultimately an agent of reaction and inequality.

There is almost no way the state of the Earth Kingdom isn't improved after the immediate chaos of the Earth Queen's death descent into darkness stops because how can it get worse then an unaccountable police state serving the whims of an entrenched and vicious nobility.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Scrree posted:

But Zaheer was right that monarchy is bullshit, and an Avatar that reinforces the status quo is ultimately an agent of reaction and inequality.

There is almost no way the state of the Earth Kingdom isn't improved after the immediate chaos of the Earth Queen's death descent into darkness stops because how can it get worse then an unaccountable police state serving the whims of an entrenched and vicious nobility.

Zaheer's belief wasn't that monarchies are bullshit. It was that all forms of government leadership and nations in and of themselves were.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Spergatory posted:

Korra don't give a gently caress. :black101:

Next season, on Korra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1hTnL8XBKk (probably :nws:)

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Whelp, watched the finale. I'm SO glad this turned out as well as it did! I liked how the final battle mirrored Aang's fight against Ozai, only instead of being loving boring (YES I SAID IT), it looked visceral as hell. Korra in Avatar state is fearsome. This season had so many incredibly fun and elaborate action scenes, it's hard to pick a favorite (my favorite is still Bolin saving the president in S2, though!). While there are still some strange spots (Bolin's and Bumi's humor sometimes falls flat, the dialogue feels overly generic and stilted at times, some cameos felt unnecessary...), this is pretty much peak Avatar. Awesome.

Some observations:
- I liked how Bolin did lavabending! Ghazan actually created lava, but Bolin never did - he only diverted and hardened whatever magma was sent his way, and in an actual battle, Ghazan still overwhelmed him. Felt quite appropriate actually, that Bolin still wouldn't have everything figured out at that point. Who knows if he even CAN create lava the way Ghazan could. (Also, too bad the fire rock shuriken didn't appear again!)
- I believed until the very end that Suyin would turn out to be a villain, right until she actually removed the mercury. Hell, I'm still not convinced.
- Asami's and Korra's bromance was surprisingly pleasant, actually. Asami didn't have a lot to do this season, but she was really well-written, in my opinion! Maybe she'll be relevant to the story too next season.
- I would've LOVED seeing Tenzin go up against flying Zaheer. Oh well, this was fine too.
- He was really great in S2 already, but seeing Tonraq in action again was entertaining. Some people said it before: he's got such a brutal in-your-face style of waterbending! I'm constantly reminded of that one scene in S2 where he's charging Unalaq, smashing ice everywhere, and there's this sheer look of TERROR on Unalaq's face - we had something just like that with Zaheer, it's great. My headcanon says it was Tonraq who gave Zaheer his scars. :colbert:
- This might just be me, but this finale was REALLY nasty in parts. The poison torture, the point-blank head explosion, the way Korra got constantly smacked against the rocks... Hell, I could totally relate to PTSD-ridden Korra after that. Really an incredible ending. That single loving tear, man. :stare:

Now I'm curious how they're planning to top this in S4; but if this season is any indication, they seemed to have learned their lesson from S1/2. Looking forward to it!

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Adder Moray posted:

To the point of whether Zaheer was right or wrong:

Ignoring the fact that the natural state of humans in Avatar is living on the backs of lion turtles with varying degrees of social hierarchy, the natural state of all social mammals is one in which there is a social structure and a hierarchy.
Like most terrorists, Zaheer has a warped vision of how the world works. He wants to revert the world back to an idyllic state that never existed.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Torquemadras posted:

Whelp, watched the finale. I'm SO glad this turned out as well as it did! I liked how the final battle mirrored Aang's fight against Ozai, only instead of being loving boring (YES I SAID IT), it looked visceral as hell. Korra in Avatar state is fearsome. This season had so many incredibly fun and elaborate action scenes, it's hard to pick a favorite (my favorite is still Bolin saving the president in S2, though!). While there are still some strange spots (Bolin's and Bumi's humor sometimes falls flat, the dialogue feels overly generic and stilted at times, some cameos felt unnecessary...), this is pretty much peak Avatar. Awesome.

Wait how in the world was the finale battle for Aang's fight against Ozai boring? We got a frickin' avatar (Bohr model) atom of doom! It was the biggest display of how immensely powerful the Avatar State can be in the series.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks to whoever posted the puma man video for giving me this idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRURSbACPog

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I didn't see this mentioned in the last few pages, but anyone think that metal-bending soldier that saved Korra's dad has to be a main character next season?

It was just a bit odd to introduce a new named person right at the end of the season unless it was some contest-winning fan who got to create a character.

Edit: looked up the name: Kuvira. Apparently she was seen in a couple other scenes earlier in the season and in a newspaper, too.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 24, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

I didn't see this mentioned in the last few pages, but anyone think that metal-bending soldier that saved Korra's dad has to be a main character next season?

It was just a bit odd to introduce a new named person right at the end of the season unless it was some contest-winning fan who got to create a character.

She was voiced by Zelda Williams, so she got extra screentime.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Genocyber posted:

It already got copyrighted.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Baron Bifford posted:

Like most terrorists, Zaheer has a warped vision of how the world works. He wants to revert the world back to an idyllic state that never existed.
That's most people, really.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Zaheer can fly because Viacom somehow managed to copyright gravity and subsequently blocked it?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Genocyber posted:

This is incredible.

i hate meatloaf
May 23, 2010

Genocyber posted:

She was voiced by Zelda Williams, so she got extra screentime.

She was also in previous episodes but just wasn't focused on.

Holy poo poo, this finale was loving awesome and completely brutal! I'm sad to see P'Li, Ming Hua, and Ghazan go, but at least they went out totally hardcore. I'd imagine they all feel the way Ghazan did about dying rather than going back to prison, so Zaheer really got the worst out of them all. I wonder what warlord P'Li was saved from. I'd assumed she was from the Firenation, so if there's warlords there maybe it isn't that stable. But she could just as easily be from the United Republic or elsewhere; the Earth Kingdom was unstable enough to have warlords running around (and even more now).

I like how much the big airbending techniques contrasted. Zaheer's interpretation of Airbending philosophy got all his friends imprisoned and later killed, and he achieved his ultimate technique by letting go of his girlfriend after he got her killed. Jinora rallied together all the airbenders to combine their power, saved her friend, and beat Zaheer. Zaheer also works as a kind of dark mirror to Tenzin; his spiritual mastery of Airbending is what Tenzin always felt he should have but could never achieve because of his duty to his family and rebuilding his culture. Jinora succeeding where her father couldn't isn't a failure on Tenzin's part at all; it's his greatest success. He's sacrificed his own spiritual enlightenment so that his daughter and future airbenders can achieve theirs. Tenzin really is the best. :unsmith:

I'm so pumped to see where they take Korra next. She's in a dark place, and it's going to be great to see her rise from the ashes. At the risk of sounding all tumblr, I'm totally on board with Korra/Asami now. Also Zaheer standing on tiptoes to kiss P'Li was :3: as all hell.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Oh god, amazing.

If someone will take the animation of Zaheer flying like a moron and add a rotating "green screen" of mountains behind him, set to that music, I will change my review of the finale to an A+

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Wildeyes posted:

Oh god, amazing.

If someone will take the animation of Zaheer flying like a moron and add a rotating "green screen" of mountains behind him, set to that music, I will change my review of the finale to an A+
Zaheer's flight was mostly done awesome, what are you talking about?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Zaheer's flight was mostly done awesome, what are you talking about?
That was a line from the puma man video, goddamn

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jackard posted:

That was a line from the puma man video, goddamn
Oh no, my short term memory!

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Torquemadras posted:

Some observations:
- I liked how Bolin did lavabending! Ghazan actually created lava, but Bolin never did - he only diverted and hardened whatever magma was sent his way, and in an actual battle, Ghazan still overwhelmed him. Felt quite appropriate actually, that Bolin still wouldn't have everything figured out at that point. Who knows if he even CAN create lava the way Ghazan could. (Also, too bad the fire rock shuriken didn't appear again!)
- I believed until the very end that Suyin would turn out to be a villain, right until she actually removed the mercury. Hell, I'm still not convinced.
- Asami's and Korra's bromance was surprisingly pleasant, actually. Asami didn't have a lot to do this season, but she was really well-written, in my opinion! Maybe she'll be relevant to the story too next season.
- I would've LOVED seeing Tenzin go up against flying Zaheer. Oh well, this was fine too.
- He was really great in S2 already, but seeing Tonraq in action again was entertaining. Some people said it before: he's got such a brutal in-your-face style of waterbending! I'm constantly reminded of that one scene in S2 where he's charging Unalaq, smashing ice everywhere, and there's this sheer look of TERROR on Unalaq's face - we had something just like that with Zaheer, it's great. My headcanon says it was Tonraq who gave Zaheer his scars. :colbert:
- This might just be me, but this finale was REALLY nasty in parts. The poison torture, the point-blank head explosion, the way Korra got constantly smacked against the rocks... Hell, I could totally relate to PTSD-ridden Korra after that. Really an incredible ending. That single loving tear, man. :stare:

Now I'm curious how they're planning to top this in S4; but if this season is any indication, they seemed to have learned their lesson from S1/2. Looking forward to it!

I wonder if Tonraq had a hand with Korra's water bending training. Her hulk smash style of bending definitely fits in with his. Based on that last fight, I can see how Tonraq was a part of the crew that stopped Zaheer initially.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Really liked this season, and suitably curious about the next one. A few considerations, though:

-Anyone else feeling that Legend of Korra may be dipping a bit too much into the Joss Whedon school of female protagonists? Namely, dragging them through hell until they are broken husks held together by their friends and mission? I understand there's going to be conflict and dire straits and being taken hostage, but I'd like to see Korra's more aggressive, in-your-face personality refined instead of erased.

-I really liked the Equalists arc, and wish it hadn't just...vanished. It was a big change for a kid's show; a very political nemesis running a textbook subversion/terror campaign. Book 2 had a more familiar, power-hungry villain, and now it's flipped back with anarchist being the main threat (and the last episode implied that there are still more red lotus undercover, so hopefully it'll pick up again).

-Touching on the topic above, I sort of miss having a single villain/quest that span all seasons. In Legend of Aang, we got to get to know the antagonists, what they were doing to the world, and how it all got started, which made the narrative build nicely toward the conclusion. Having just 13 episodes for the whole "Here's the new guy, here's what he's doing, here's what he -really- wants, and now he's done!" steals a bit of the fun. and it causes time constraints that mean that secondary characters will be left out almost entirely. Hell, LoA had an entire episode devoted to the team's mount going through all sorts of hell.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Sephyr posted:

-Touching on the topic above, I sort of miss having a single villain/quest that span all seasons. In Legend of Aang, we got to get to know the antagonists, what they were doing to the world, and how it all got started, which made the narrative build nicely toward the conclusion. Having just 13 episodes for the whole "Here's the new guy, here's what he's doing, here's what he -really- wants, and now he's done!" steals a bit of the fun. and it causes time constraints that mean that secondary characters will be left out almost entirely. Hell, LoA had an entire episode devoted to the team's mount going through all sorts of hell.
Ghazan and Ming Hua should have escaped to next season, that was disappointing.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

i hate meatloaf posted:

I like how much the big airbending techniques contrasted. Zaheer's interpretation of Airbending philosophy got all his friends imprisoned and later killed, and he achieved his ultimate technique by letting go of his girlfriend after he got her killed. Jinora rallied together all the airbenders to combine their power, saved her friend, and beat Zaheer. Zaheer also works as a kind of dark mirror to Tenzin; his spiritual mastery of Airbending is what Tenzin always felt he should have but could never achieve because of his duty to his family and rebuilding his culture. Jinora succeeding where her father couldn't isn't a failure on Tenzin's part at all; it's his greatest success. He's sacrificed his own spiritual enlightenment so that his daughter and future airbenders can achieve theirs. Tenzin really is the best. :unsmith:

Right, and I love this because it's exactly the kind of thing Yangchen was telling Aang during the ATLA finale. That because of his responsibility as Avatar, he could never set aside his attachment to the world and achieve enlightenment as others had done. Tenzin inherited the responsibility from his father, albeit for the reborn Air Nation rather than the whole world, and the same limitation on how far he could take his spirituality. Jinora represents the first generation that can rededicate themselves to that spiritual quest if they choose to, though their new self-imposed responsibilities to the world and the hodge-podge heritage of the new airbenders means it will probably be a long time before the Air Nation will return to a pre-Sozin's Comet level of spirituality, if they ever do.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Serella posted:

Right, and I love this because it's exactly the kind of thing Yangchen was telling Aang during the ATLA finale. That because of his responsibility as Avatar, he could never set aside his attachment to the world and achieve enlightenment as others had done. Tenzin inherited the responsibility from his father, albeit for the reborn Air Nation rather than the whole world, and the same limitation on how far he could take his spirituality. Jinora represents the first generation that can rededicate themselves to that spiritual quest if they choose to, though their new self-imposed responsibilities to the world and the hodge-podge heritage of the new airbenders means it will probably be a long time before the Air Nation will return to a pre-Sozin's Comet level of spirituality, if they ever do.
This made me realize that in 30 years Korra's gonna have to deal with Sozin's Comet. I don't mean we'd get to see that, that's obviously not going to be a part of Book 4, but it is fun to imagine.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Should the Air Nation return to that level of spirituality? It seems like both series have acknowledged that spirituality has its benefits, but have been not-too-subtly critical of people who are willing to set aside their earthly bonds, not just in the character of Zaheer but also in Uncle Iroh's advice to Aang in the finale of Earth.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This made me realize that in 30 years Korra's gonna have to deal with Sozin's Comet. I don't mean we'd get to see that, that's obviously not going to be a part of Book 4, but it is fun to imagine.
She'll be fine. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sephyr posted:

-Anyone else feeling that Legend of Korra may be dipping a bit too much into the Joss Whedon school of female protagonists? Namely, dragging them through hell until they are broken husks held together by their friends and mission? I understand there's going to be conflict and dire straits and being taken hostage, but I'd like to see Korra's more aggressive, in-your-face personality refined instead of erased.

It's basically the same thing Aang went through in this regards. A bit more extreme but considering Aang began with "everyone he ever knew and loved is dead except Bumi and Appa", it's a bit hard to go more extreme for him. Even then he had his "Appa is gone" fugue state and his repeated traumas.

Heroes absolutely have to go through serious trauma in a long-running series and treating them with kid gloves because of their gender isn't a good thing. You really have to balance it so you don't end up with Joss Whedon's Broken Waif Fetish but going through hell to emerge triumphant is pretty common for both male and female protagonists.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Am I the only one who got to the end and thought, "Alright guys, who put Tomino in charge of this season? :colbert:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Zedd posted:

She'll be fine. :v:
Meant more along the lines of the political strife that will be caused by the return of the comet used in two consecutive centuries for genocide. The inevitable small group of Fire Nationalists attempting to use the comet to bring down the current Fire Lord and reinstate the Sozin Doctrine can be handled just fine without her help by the oh gently caress I just wrote fanfiction.

Wait. Now that I think about it, could Book 4 see the end of the Fire Lord? The Red Lotus is still out there, and whatever happens to Ba Sing Se I'm guessing that part of the message is going to be "monarchy in principle is lovely" so even though Zuko's daughter might be an awesome ruler (she totally is), shouldn't there be elections in the Fire Nation if the Earth Kingdom is going to transition to some form of democracy?

From a storytelling standpoint, these are all things that Korra could deal with while still in a wheelchair, with gives time to set up the inevitable physical threat that Korra will of course face in her own kick-rear end way after recovering.

• Locked thread