Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~
You shouldn't really be letting real-life concerns interrupt you, to be honest. Like, gently caress off, you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I agree.

Interrupted by a doorbell, a likely story....

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Leal posted:

You can make a game all about dying without mandating that you absolutely cannot pause when real life takes over.

All I'm saying is that if you're the kind of well-adjusted person who prioritizes real life intrusions over game progress, it really shouldn't bother you that much if you lose minimal progress from death, let alone in a game where the penalty for dying isn't particularly harsh, and can even be circumvented entirely in a nontraditional way.

Apparently a lot of goons game out of a bathroom in Grand Central Station though because they're being constantly interrupted to the point of not being able to play a game without it being chopped up into dozens of pause-screen-separated sequences.

Is it dumb that Dark Souls doesn't allow a proper pause? In some ways yes, but it's also a decision to support particular gameplay. Is this a reason to skip the game over entirely? No you dumb spergs just take a death on the chin every once in a while good lord.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Heavy Lobster posted:

Is it dumb that Dark Souls doesn't allow a proper pause? In some ways yes, but it's also a decision to support particular gameplay. Is this a reason to skip the game over entirely? No you dumb spergs just take a death on the chin every once in a while good lord.

It's a complaint in the video game complaint thread, you don't need to defend Dark Soul's honor, it's not going to cease existing from criticism of a single feature.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
If you stress out letting someone or a package sit outside your front door for a minute, I'm not sure what to tell you. But I expect to see similar posts in the "post your favorite thing dragging showers down."

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

WickedHate posted:

It's a complaint in the video game complaint thread, you don't need to defend Dark Soul's honor, it's not going to cease existing from criticism of a single feature.

I'm not defending Dark Souls' honor (the game has enough flaws as it is), I just think it's absolutely bizarre that of all reasons this is a make-or-break feature for anyone, for any game.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Professor Wayne posted:

If you stress out letting someone or a package sit outside your front door for a minute, I'm not sure what to tell you. But I expect to see similar posts in the "post your favorite thing dragging showers down."

sorry I had you standing out in the rain for two minutes I really had to beat the lord of skeletons but bad video game designers wouldn't let me pause the game

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

ArtIsResistance posted:

sorry I had you standing out in the rain for two minutes I really had to beat the lord of skeletons but bad video game designers wouldn't let me pause the game

I think he's advocating more for "who gives a gently caress about the video game" here.

e: Slice of Life: I was in a bad place when I got into LoL and Dota 2, and would frequently put off social obligations until a match was over, as I thought it was rude to up and disconnect from a game. As I started reassessing my lifestyle habits and how I related to games, I realized that progress in a video game is less important than making sure your friends don't hate you, and that any frustration you may feel from losing some MMR is probably not as great as the frustration of your friends seeing their friend cloister themselves away into video game hell. Moral of the story: don't be a nerd shut-in and let a greater emphasis on real life things free you from the bonds of a few experience points or what the gently caress ever.

Heavy Lobster has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Aug 24, 2014

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Heavy Lobster posted:

I think he's advocating more for "who gives a gently caress about the video game" here.

e: Slice of Life: I was in a bad place when I got into LoL and Dota 2, and would frequently put off social obligations until a match was over, as I thought it was rude to up and disconnect from a game. As I started reassessing my lifestyle habits and how I related to games, I realized that progress in a video game is less important than making sure your friends don't hate you, and that any frustration you may feel from losing some MMR is probably not as great as the frustration of your friends seeing their friend cloister themselves away into video game hell. Moral of the story: don't be a nerd shut-in and let a greater emphasis on real life things free you from the bonds of a few experience points or what the gently caress ever.

Agreed. One thing that drags most games down for me is that they allow you to pause them. Useless feature IMO.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't know, someone actually did come to my door while I was playing Dark Souls earlier and it took me less than five seconds to quit to the menu. I didn't think anything of it at all. I was in the middle of a fight and everything. The only other game I've ever played that also didn't pause was Phantasy Star Online.

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 01:39 on Aug 24, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Heavy Lobster posted:

All I'm saying is that if you're the kind of well-adjusted person who prioritizes real life intrusions over game progress, it really shouldn't bother you that much if you lose minimal progress from death, let alone in a game where the penalty for dying isn't particularly harsh, and can even be circumvented entirely in a nontraditional way.

Apparently a lot of goons game out of a bathroom in Grand Central Station though because they're being constantly interrupted to the point of not being able to play a game without it being chopped up into dozens of pause-screen-separated sequences.

Actually, I own a dog, and she likes to be let out from time to time.

Heavy Lobster posted:

Slice of Life: I was in a bad place when I got into LoL and Dota 2, and would frequently put off social obligations until a match was over, as I thought it was rude to up and disconnect from a game. As I started reassessing my lifestyle habits and how I related to games, I realized that progress in a video game is less important than making sure your friends don't hate you, and that any frustration you may feel from losing some MMR is probably not as great as the frustration of your friends seeing their friend cloister themselves away into video game hell. Moral of the story: don't be a nerd shut-in and let a greater emphasis on real life things free you from the bonds of a few experience points or what the gently caress ever.

Can we be clear here? I'm not talking about sitting down for 45 minutes to play LOL or some equally entirely-multiplayer experience, I'm talking about a pause button in a sorta-singleplayer-sorta-not game. And this is the thread where we bitch about aspects of games. I like games, that's why I play them, but I like real life too and you can like both at the same time! There doesn't need to be a false dichotomy where you either ignore the door (or whatever) because you're too wrapped up in games to give a poo poo about reality, or I ignore the death (or whatever) because I'm too cool to actually care about games.

Yeah, most of the time you can safely just walk away from the game, but not all the time, and honestly, the argument that "well you can stop playing by quitting to title" is not a justification for not having a pause. Pausing is a convenience that has been around in video games for 30 years, it's reasonable to expect every game to have some sort of pause option and when a game like Dark Souls does it in a bizarre and pointlessly circuitous way like that, that's definitely a Thing Dragging This Game Down. Which is why it's being brought up in this thread.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah, most of the time you can safely just walk away from the game, but not all the time, and honestly, the argument that "well you can stop playing by quitting to title" is not a justification for not having a pause. Pausing is a convenience that has been around in video games for 30 years, it's reasonable to expect every game to have some sort of pause option and when a game like Dark Souls does it in a bizarre and pointlessly circuitous way like that, that's definitely a Thing Dragging This Game Down. Which is why it's being brought up in this thread.

Yeah, I realized after making my posts that this was kind of the wrong place to fight that battle, but didn't really want to edit it out because I kinda deserve to have the Public Shame Record because of that. :shobon:

I still stand by not picking the game up at all because of no pause being the dumbest poo poo ever, but yeah, there are a few suggestions in-thread that would be nice to see come Bloodborne.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I don't think anyone in this thread is advocating not buying Dark Souls, pause or not.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
The thing dragging Dark Souls down is this thread.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I don't know why "shut up about Dark Souls" was removed from the thread title but it's very tempting to put it back.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

I don't know why "shut up about Dark Souls" was removed from the thread title but it's very tempting to put it back.

Can't we just do a catch all and put in the title "Stop defending your favorite game"? Its kinda dumb to restrict a topic cause some nerds REALLY have to come out the woodwork defend their favorite game.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Leal posted:

Can't we just do a catch all and put in the title "Stop defending your favorite game"? Its kinda dumb to restrict a topic cause some nerds REALLY have to come out the woodwork defend their favorite game.

My favorite game is Tomba, thank you very much. :colbert:

RyokoTK posted:

I don't think anyone in this thread is advocating not buying Dark Souls, pause or not.

2house2fly posted:

The pausing thing is the exact reason I haven't played it and probably won't.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I stand by it :colbert:

tsaofen
May 20, 2009
Oh, for gently caress's sake.

I sank something like 70 hours of my life into Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, mostly because of these types of arguments I saw in this thread and the "pyf little things in games" thread. I needed to see what the fuss was about.

The lack of pausing is an issue. The fact that achieving the same effect as pausing requires one to quit only come back to the exact same point when re-loading is just asinine. The basic point is that I'm essentially pausing the game, but I have to go through something like 8 inputs on a controller, then wait through loading screens, then go ahead and reload my game (another four controller inputs or so) to do the something Super Mario Brothers did in an instant with one button.

That being said, it's probably an issue to do with the multiplayer aspects as a lot of people here have said. I get that. But, it also smacks of laziness on the part of the From Software that they couldn't just make it so people who are paused can't be invaded.

Is it such an issue that you should quit the game? Maybe. There's nothing to say that some people don't want the ability to play in short bursts or have other things they need to take care of from time to time and don't appreciate the complications inherent to the Dark Souls system. It's a video game. Coming back to the game to see your little avatar dead may not be an issue for some, but it may detract from the relative fun value for others. Think about a Frisbee with razor blades on it - some people would have more fun because it adds to the challenge, some people just want to toss a plastic disc around in their backyard without fear of grievous bodily harm.

Anyway content: Metro: Last Light is a fantastically atmospheric game. But, I spent too much time in the early game surface levels and now I am out of filters in the last level of the game. Basically, the game world was so cool that I got screwed over by exploring it. Why design a thing when I'm supposed to just sprint through it and never look at it?

e: whups

tsaofen has a new favorite as of 05:50 on Aug 24, 2014

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

tsaofen posted:

Anyway content: Metro: Last Light is a fantastically atmospheric game. But, I spent too much time in the early game surface levels and now I am out of filters in the last level of the game. Basically, the game world was so cool that I got screwed over by exploring it. Why design a thing when I'm supposed to just sprint through it and never look at it?

Loot the bodies. I'm legitimately surprised you ran out of filters because I took my time and by the end of the game I had like 20 in backstock.

Last Light was a great game but it really fell apart in the final act. When the final battle happens and the game ends I was like "Wait that was the ending?" The first game built up to a fantastic climax but the second one just ramps things up, and ramps up more, then all of a sudden you realize it was the endgame and there isn't any more.

tsaofen
May 20, 2009

Febreeze posted:

Loot the bodies. I'm legitimately surprised you ran out of filters because I took my time and by the end of the game I had like 20 in backstock.

Last Light was a great game but it really fell apart in the final act. When the final battle happens and the game ends I was like "Wait that was the ending?" The first game built up to a fantastic climax but the second one just ramps things up, and ramps up more, then all of a sudden you realize it was the endgame and there isn't any more.

Oh, I know it's my fault in the end. I kind of only realized the game wasn't Fallout 3 during the last level. The rest of the time I spent exploring every nook and cranny expecting some unique tidbit to pop up.

Still kind of drags it down to put me in a Sierra Games situation where I have to basically restart the game on account of not saving a rat at some point.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah I don't know how you run out of filters other than the very few times where you have a very minimal supply to begin with. It can be harder to track in Ranger Hardcore because it has no like inventory checking or anything at all and absolutely no UI so that's somewhat understandable.

But every dead dude has filters, ditto dead dudes you kill. Likewise you can always find fresh/less broken gas masks this way. You can also buy some from merchants, and there are merchants in those later levels.

Also: Pausing the game: no seriously, being able to pause games isn't a loving feature or a luxury or some poo poo, it's like pausable, skipable cutscenes. Like how did it take Konami like three metal gear games to figure out that maybe being able to pause your long winded expositions was a good thing?

E:

tsaofen posted:

Oh, I know it's my fault in the end. I kind of only realized the game wasn't Fallout 3 during the last level. The rest of the time I spent exploring every nook and cranny expecting some unique tidbit to pop up.

Still kind of drags it down to put me in a Sierra Games situation where I have to basically restart the game on account of not saving a rat at some point.

The game may be set in metro tunnels in a post apoclyptic wasteland, but that's about it for commonality with FO3. What with the tunnels actually being interesting, the game well written, and being a story driven, linear, make-you-feel-like-such-a-oval office, wonderland.

I dont' have strong feelings on this game, no sir.

SpookyLizard has a new favorite as of 06:10 on Aug 24, 2014

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

tsaofen posted:

No you were right, Metro games should be explored. It's just kinda weird how you didn't have filters. I must have had over an hour worth of filters by the end, and I explored quite a bit.

You were taking the gas mask off underground, right?

tsaofen
May 20, 2009

kazil posted:

No you were right, Metro games should be explored. It's just kinda weird how you didn't have filters. I must have had over an hour worth of filters by the end, and I explored quite a bit.

You were taking the gas mask off underground, right?

I resent the implication, sir!

I think the issue was that in Metro 2033 you never actually had to worry about filters (from what I remembered - at least a year has passed since I played the first game) so I spent all my money on ammo because of that damned bullet-sink swamp boss and should have purchased filters?

Also, I might be dumb.

quote:

The game may be set in metro tunnels in a post apoclyptic wasteland, but that's about it for commonality with FO3. What with the tunnels actually being interesting, the game well written, and being a story driven, linear, make-you-feel-like-such-a-oval office, wonderland.

I thought FO3 was an interesting world to explore every corner of, and wanted to do the same with the Metro world. Especially because it was a better version thereof.

Also, I might be dumb.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Think of how lovely augs would make sports, though.

Would they allow augs in sports? That would just make them a pay-to-win game where the most well-funded teams have a massive advantage, and the players will start to look more like specialized race cars than people.

Or would they just ban augs from sports? That would make it so any rear end in a top hat with a newish leg model could outrun an olympic gold medalist and outjump an NBA superstar. Sports get a lot less impressive when your next door neighbor is stronger than the players.

Make separate sports for aug-people
Also make separate sports where all drugs are legal so I can watch a man run 100m in 6 seconds before dying from organ failure

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Honestly I'm not sure you could buy filters in Metro: Last Light, and there was only one place you could actually buy them in 2033. One thing that helps is that when you swap your gas mask, it gives you a five minute reset.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

One thing dragging Disgaea 3 down for me is that I have absolutely zero drive to continue with the ridiculously awful story. I love the game, but every time I play it's like I'll do a single main story fight and then just dick around in Item World for the next two hours.

Another thing dragging it down is just the complete lack of any useful tutorial stuff. When should I reincarnate a unit? What is the benefit to some of the clubs? It's not a huge deal or anything because I'm so vastly overleveled for the main story but I'd like to at least have some idea how to really take advantage of that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I'd recommend just skipping to 4. The story and characters are some of the best of the series and it explains its systems somewhat better.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
I'm playing Darksiders II and I'm enjoying the brawling, the puzzles and the platforming. Those are why I started playing the game. Now, for some reason, the designers decided that the game needed a lovely corridor horde shooter level (the Earth level) that is overly long and either very annoying or completely trivial, depending on whether you picked up the grenade launcher or not. Three enemy types throughout the level and the same boss repeated three times, with no plot or platforming included.
The inclusion of the level is just completely baffling. It doesn't help that the rest of the game has a wonderful, colorful over-the-top design, whereas this level is just gray and dull.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Make separate sports for aug-people
Also make separate sports where all drugs are legal so I can watch a man run 100m in 6 seconds before dying from organ failure

There's a newsticker on a TV in DE:HR that mentions an "Aug Olympics" so they do have that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Diablo 3 it always seems kind of goofy how your damage is linked to weapons being equipped when pretty much half the classes don't actually use them in combat.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

In Diablo 3 it always seems kind of goofy how your damage is linked to weapons being equipped when pretty much half the classes don't actually use them in combat.
I assume the Monk straps swords to their feet to increase their damage.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

I assume the Monk straps swords to their feet to increase their damage.

The Monk uses the same school of martial arts as Raiden.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Suleman posted:

I'm playing Darksiders II and I'm enjoying the brawling, the puzzles and the platforming. Those are why I started playing the game. Now, for some reason, the designers decided that the game needed a lovely corridor horde shooter level (the Earth level) that is overly long and either very annoying or completely trivial, depending on whether you picked up the grenade launcher or not. Three enemy types throughout the level and the same boss repeated three times, with no plot or platforming included.
The inclusion of the level is just completely baffling. It doesn't help that the rest of the game has a wonderful, colorful over-the-top design, whereas this level is just gray and dull.

As someone that really enjoyed DS2 overall, this section was terrible. The biggest thing dragging an otherwise decent game down was this lovely, corridor-shooter level. It's so terrible and I hate it so much that it almost ruins the entire the game.

HairyManling has a new favorite as of 06:30 on Aug 25, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
One thing that both Darksiders games do is crib from popular games, and you can tell they do it because they're popular, and they don't have any real understanding of why they're done. Both games have a portal gun, for example, and you can really tell that they included it because Portal is a game that is popular. It's not really implemented in a thoughtful way, because you can only put portals in very specific spots. Also the game has a combo meter, even though it doesn't matter, the game doesn't grade you on your combos or anything, but they do it because Devil May Cry or whatever other brawlers they ripped the combat off of have combo meters.

Anyway, the Earth section of Darksiders 2 is clearly cribbed from Left 4 Dead, because that is a game that is popular, even though they have no idea what made that game good, and as a result that section of the game is really loving irritating and bad.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've been playing Shadowrun Returns, and it seems to do a pretty good job of making it possible to progress no matter what skills you choose, but I wish it was a bit easier to tell what would be actually useful. I've done two missions so far where you have to hire a crew to help you out, and both times I've hired a decker and he's just been dead weight just hanging around doing nothing. I have no decking skill, so I feel like I should bring someone with that skill in case it turns out to be useful, but it hasn't so far and I have no way of knowing whether it actually will be useful later or not. It's not like I'm short on cash since the rewards seem to be more than I'm likely to spend anyway, and it's not so difficult that having that dead weight is a real problem, but I'd like to have a fourth party member who actually does something.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

RyokoTK posted:

One thing that both Darksiders games do is crib from popular games, and you can tell they do it because they're popular, and they don't have any real understanding of why they're done. Both games have a portal gun, for example, and you can really tell that they included it because Portal is a game that is popular. It's not really implemented in a thoughtful way, because you can only put portals in very specific spots. Also the game has a combo meter, even though it doesn't matter, the game doesn't grade you on your combos or anything, but they do it because Devil May Cry or whatever other brawlers they ripped the combat off of have combo meters.

Anyway, the Earth section of Darksiders 2 is clearly cribbed from Left 4 Dead, because that is a game that is popular, even though they have no idea what made that game good, and as a result that section of the game is really loving irritating and bad.

I assume part of that was meant as a small callback to the first game that takes place on Earth. But yeah Darksiders does have a weird habit of turning into a completely different game at some point (like the first one that forced you to play some flying shooter level).

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I've been playing Shadowrun Returns, and it seems to do a pretty good job of making it possible to progress no matter what skills you choose, but I wish it was a bit easier to tell what would be actually useful. I've done two missions so far where you have to hire a crew to help you out, and both times I've hired a decker and he's just been dead weight just hanging around doing nothing. I have no decking skill, so I feel like I should bring someone with that skill in case it turns out to be useful, but it hasn't so far and I have no way of knowing whether it actually will be useful later or not. It's not like I'm short on cash since the rewards seem to be more than I'm likely to spend anyway, and it's not so difficult that having that dead weight is a real problem, but I'd like to have a fourth party member who actually does something.

Deadman's Switch or Dragonfall?

Because DMS is pretty decent but it's really poo poo in parts. Dragonfall ddi a bunch of better poo poo, like giving you a regular crew to work with, and letting you use your team's abilities for poo poo. So you can hack poo poo if you're a decker, but if you're not you can have a decker in your party do it for you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SpookyLizard posted:

Deadman's Switch or Dragonfall?
Dead Man's Switch. So does this mean that there's no point in having a decker with me at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Tiggum posted:

Dead Man's Switch. So does this mean that there's no point in having a decker with me at all?

You're gonna have to do some decking yourself at some point in the game. That's really not the worst part about Dead Man's Switch.