Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Link to the reddit air thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!

SRM posted:

Pretty sure that was supposed to be vodka, comrade :ussr:

He wasn't holding the glass in true soviet vodka drinking style. :colbert:

(Yeah I think you're right)

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Whats stupid is everyone forgot the keep indar locked constantly rule, its just loving tower battles, literally thats all indar is. You fight at major facilities and 3 point bases only everything else is baiting the other faction towards a 3 point or major facility.

I love how the warpgate rotation works when theres to much pop, kill infantry so factions dont start off at an advantage but leave the loving vehicle spergs alive! It should kill everyone.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Ringo Star Get posted:

Link to the reddit air thread?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/2edtof/how_to_fix_esfs_to_be_beginnerfriendly_without/

quote:

This isn't really a complex or difficult solution. In fact, it's as easy as modifying an already-existing item in the game.

Add a 'lead' indicator to the engagement radar.

That's it. That's all you have to do. Expert pilots don't use ER because they get better usage out of the other utilities. Beginners have the most trouble with two things: tracking their target, and leading them properly. The Engagement radar would solve both of these problems in one fell swoop if you just added a lead indicator. Historically speaking, there's plenty of evidence that this works. Games like Descent: Freespace, Wing Commander, Freelancer, all the user-friendly but really solid flight games all had a lead indicator. It's silly to not have one, then ask 'I wonder why newbie pilots have so much trouble?'. At that point you can just remove coyotes altogether, we don't need them. We'll know where to aim.

I don't think that's asking much.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
You know, no bullet drop is actually vaguely useful on the CME, if only because the Advanced Grip + Compensator combo makes it viable to aim at people's heads up to 100m or so out, and the lack of drop makes it fairly easy to peek people on ridgelines in field fights (just keep your crosshair level with the ridge and pop anyone whose head appears).

So naturally I then went over to my TR character and tried using the T1S like I was using the CME and it's better that the CME is in most respects, also better than the Pulsar. Because of course it is.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Polygon posted:

A tweet since taken down also contained an image appearing to show an e-Ticket for Smedley's flight, with a confirmation number, asking Smedley and Sony if this was indeed his flight.

this is a whole new level of mad about videogames

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
That's definitely going to get a visit from men in sunglasses.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Being a public figure in the video game industry seems like the worst thing ever.

Nookovian-Red
Sep 13, 2002
I WILL NOT CLOSE THREAD IN Serious Hardware / Software Crap
DDOS attacks, ISIS trolls, now Bomb threats via twitter? Lizard Squad soon to be Gitmo squad.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
:lol: man there are some people (kids?) that are in for a world of hurt that will follow them around for their entire lives by calling in a bomb threat on an aircraft. Hope it was worth it because jesus christ

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

It'd probably make ER actually useful cause the people you actually want to know where they are at have stealth on.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Wait, did someone actually call in a bomb threat on a plane a dev was on because they were mad about PS2?

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Cool, all my non ribbon tied directives got wiped. :\

Trouvaille
Dec 24, 2010

Bad job, but it pays well.
What I don't understand is the guy's reasoning. All the veterans will leave if you give new pilots an incentive to fly and get shot down by us! This mechanic which every single good flight game has is stupid for this flight game because reasons!

Hell, freelancer had a much easier flight system than this game and it still had a lead indicator.

It's a bit silly to argue 'this game with terrible unfun flying gameplay would be made worse if you add a mechanic present in every fun flying game ever!'

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011

Pand posted:

Motive!

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Pand posted:

Why dont you redirect smedleys flight about it?

Wonder if the DDOS was making hit detection bad?

Trouvaille
Dec 24, 2010

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

this is a whole new level of mad about videogames

C'mon Smedley just pull another Galaxy they're like 5 minutes worth of nanites now.

But, seriously, holy crap what is wrong with people. I saw the twitter post by the person who called in the threat, why are Internet people so terrible

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Trouvaille posted:

What I don't understand is the guy's reasoning.

There's your problem. You're expecting reason from an airsperg. That's not possible. Their entire world view is "I AM A JESUSVISHNUALLAHCHRIST-LIKE SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE AND ANYTHING THAT EVEN SLIGHTLY CHANGES MY PERFECT WORLDVIEW IS WRONG AND BAD AND TERRIBLE AND I WILL SCREAM AND KICK AND CRY IF IT'S EVEN SUGGESTED." You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not reason themselves into. They consider their bushido barge to be the epitome of e-honor, and anything that might give the lowly peasants a chance at destroying their honorubu gankball is literally Hitler.

Basically, talk to them like you would talk to your average Tea Party idiot: smile, nod, and ignore them.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Alternatively, fire Tomcats and Coyotes at them. Make sure to send them a good fight tell afterwards. :smug: Or, ram them on your first pass and then send them a tell saying they're awful at flying and should learn to not ram.

I think a subtle goal of mine is to get people who I know are better to slam into me when they try to gank.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Leal posted:

It'd probably make ER actually useful cause the people you actually want to know where they are at have stealth on.

Engagement Radar, Stealth and Air to Air Missiles. :getin:

I've been using it all day today and the tears are priceless.

We need to get a Missile squad going in mumble and poo poo all over the air spergs. I want to crush the Hover Meta.

Bonus points of we role play milspergs while doing it.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

That lead indicator thing is a fake post, right ?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Xae posted:

We need to get a Missile squad going in mumble and poo poo all over the air spergs. I want to crush the Hover Meta.

The Honeybadgers are doing it right now at our warpgate and it's hilarious. They have 3 (maybe it was 4) people all with lockons, and if anyone gets engaged the other 3 gets a lockon and insta-kills people. I want to get in on this!

Trouvaille
Dec 24, 2010

Xae posted:

I'm a terrible goku because I have never sent a good fight tell ironically.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
:dance: :toot:

e: it looks like poo poo :(

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 25, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Niiiiiiiice

Trouvaille posted:

I'm a terrible goku because I have never sent a good fight tell ironically.

you've sent good fight tells unironically? you mean you engaged in combat without a gross advantage in some way? you are playing planetside wrong

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

God drat I'm really liking the Vandal. It's much better with the 4x scope, which is actually accurate compared to the red dots. It's easily one of the most versatile weapons in the game in terms of being able to kill at any range. There's something very satisfying about popping around a corner and BLAMBLAMBLAM, dead heavy before he realized what was even happening. Certing up recon darts and motion sensors goes a long way to actually being useful to the team as well. For the first time I don't feel bad playing infiltrator :toot:

Once you get used to the relatively slow MV, hitting guys on the move gets pretty easy too.

A+ gun would recommend.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Trouvaille posted:

What I don't understand is the guy's reasoning. All the veterans will leave if you give new pilots an incentive to fly and get shot down by us! This mechanic which every single good flight game has is stupid for this flight game because reasons!

Hell, freelancer had a much easier flight system than this game and it still had a lead indicator.

It's a bit silly to argue 'this game with terrible unfun flying gameplay would be made worse if you add a mechanic present in every fun flying game ever!'
Is a lead indicator really necessary in PS2? As someone who's played flight sims and the BF franchise, I think hitting aircraft (from ground or Lib/Gal turrets) is easier in this than any other game I've ever played because the planes are so slow; often they make it even easier by hovering in place too.

I guess I haven't done much dogfighting, but that's because I hate the feel of flying in this game (absurdly tight turns, slow, feels more like flying a helicopter than plane [dogfighting helicopters is awkward and bad], etc.). The bit I have done, it was far more difficult getting/keeping my guns on them due to the (IMO terrible) handling mechanics (maybe it's just a default mouse thing... but why in the world can't I aileron roll/pull elevator at the same time!?) than needing any sort of lead assistance.

If they wanted to fix flying in my book, gimme space War Thunder (or BF1942 or [insert other arcade flying game with semi-proper flying mechanics]) and I'd love flying.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Fart Car '97 posted:

For the first time I don't feel bad playing infiltrator :toot:

You're on the right track with the radar dong- the darts are still okay for hunting someone in the field, but dongs are super better in most fights. Now that EMP grenades are cheap enough to throw with wild abandon, cert into those and grenade belt and get used to opening most fights with them. It is absolutely disgusting what you can do when you remember to do that and have a scout rifle onhand.

bUm posted:

If they wanted to fix flying in my book, gimme space War Thunder (or BF1942 or [insert other arcade flying game with semi-proper flying mechanics]) and I'd love flying.

Since you play War Thunder, I advise just not flying at all in this unless you really enjoy feeling disoriented, confused, and crashing every time you switch between games. Thankfully the A2A group strategy works with a "helicopter!" mindset so it's not so jarring to do that, but gently caress trying to dogfight properly after playing WT.

Sard fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 25, 2014

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Nookovian-Red posted:

Lizard Squad soon to be Gitmo squad.
Well according to SOE the FBI is now investigating it as a matter of national security so yep

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

They should add a TR attachment called underbarrel magazine where you push 1 and get an extra magazine in your gun without reloading, but only once per life without resupplying. Make underbarrel shotguns exclusive to NC and then soup up the UBGL a bit and give it to VS as a plasma mortar.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Westy543 posted:

They should add a TR attachment called underbarrel magazine where you push 1 and get an extra magazine in your gun without reloading, but only once per life without resupplying.
Only if the reload animation for TR pistols is throwing away the gun and just pulling out another. Except the Inquisitor, which just has two magazines taped end-to-end and you flip the two-foot-long amalgam to use it.

EDIT: No wait, even better, two Inquisitors taped together at the magazine and you just flip it with a wrist flick and start firing the second one.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Nakar posted:

Only if the reload animation for TR pistols is throwing away the gun and just pulling out another. Except the Inquisitor, which just has two magazines taped end-to-end and you flip the two-foot-long amalgam to use it.

EDIT: No wait, even better, two Inquisitors taped together at the magazine and you just flip it with a wrist flick and start firing the second one.

The CARV could shoot out another CARV.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Let's just simplify things by giving every TR gun an Underbarrel CARV. Except the TORQ, which gets a second TORQ.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Careful, Higby reads this thread and he will actually take us seriously. Especially if Arghy posts that poo poo.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Nakar posted:

Let's just simplify things by giving every TR gun an Underbarrel CARV. Except the TORQ, which gets a second TORQ.

Incidentally, you know what engies need? A briefcase gun a la PD that replaces your turret and works as a deployable. Set it up somewhere, make it fire at like a quarter of the rate of the MANA turret, and certs would increase the tracking rate. Would be fun, and kinda handy for point defense.

On a similar note, a proximity emp mine would be fun and useful if it was AoE. Drop em at the bottom of the stairs on a 3-story when defending.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Basically what I'm saying is more fun NS tools and deployables, less vehicle stuff. Vehicles are for farming or being farmed.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Nakar posted:

The TORQ will get an underbarrel Lynx.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Nakar posted:

You know, no bullet drop is actually vaguely useful on the CME, if only because the Advanced Grip + Compensator combo makes it viable to aim at people's heads up to 100m or so out, and the lack of drop makes it fairly easy to peek people on ridgelines in field fights (just keep your crosshair level with the ridge and pop anyone whose head appears).

The only time I miss no bullet drop on my TR is when I'm using a battle rifle. On my VS today I was using one with my Engineer hanging out with two snipers and my guy was doing so many kill-callouts that one of them asked me what gun I was using.

Of course on my TR I just use a Cycler and murder VS snipers from the other side of the map in between their shots.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

sitchelin posted:

The TORQ will get an underbarrel Lynx.
Oh sure give the TR poo poo as usual, it's not even a GD-7F. :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Angry Joe dunking megapost.

Joe's archived stream: http://www.twitch.tv/angryjoeshow/b/561612217 (Fun stuff involving Goon/Goku at around 1:50:00+ in.)

Unedited 15 minutes from Goku's POV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfdZTiC3b-w

Highlighted moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmzy-UkiIFI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p75GeHgRPQ4

And in conclusion... :godwin:

Hail Satan.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 25, 2014

• Locked thread