Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

so even though Zuko's daughter might be an awesome ruler (she totally is)
What are you basing this off of - Iroh Jr.? Did she show up in a comic somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jackard posted:

What are you basing this off of - Iroh Jr.? Did she show up in a comic somewhere?
Zuko trusted her enough to retire from being Fire Lord and give her the position. How could she not be great?

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Zuko trusted her enough to retire from being Fire Lord and give her the position. How could she not be great?
Plus her son (and heir?) seems to be on the level

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Torquemadras posted:

- I liked how Bolin did lavabending! Ghazan actually created lava, but Bolin never did - he only diverted and hardened whatever magma was sent his way, and in an actual battle, Ghazan still overwhelmed him. Felt quite appropriate actually, that Bolin still wouldn't have everything figured out at that point. Who knows if he even CAN create lava the way Ghazan could. (Also, too bad the fire rock shuriken didn't appear again!)

There is a scene where Bolin creates lava during the fight with Ghazan, although you blink and you miss it. I agree that his fighting style isn't anywhere close to the level of Ghazan, but it seems like the lavabending is more intuitive than most other forms of advanced bending (metal, blood, lightning, flight, etc).

Although I wonder what the rules are for flight; does it really require letting go of all earthly attachments and achieving some kind of "enlightened" state, or is it just something a small percentage of Airbenders can achieve with enough skill and practice? In A:TLA, there were only a few lightining benders (Azula, Iroh, and Ozin), all of whom were very skilled and very strong benders, and even Zuko couldn't lightning bend despite being on a equal level with them due to being unable to be at peace with himself. In LOK, it seems like lightning bending is far more common and doesn't require any kind of philosophical thought or introspection, since they have fire benders using it to generate electricity. So I wonder if Zaheer is just full of poo poo and eventually we might be able to see more airbenders fly, without having to forego connections to other people or things they care about.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

In A:TLA, there were only a few lightining benders (Azula, Iroh, and Ozin), all of whom were very skilled and very strong benders, and even Zuko couldn't lightning bend despite being on a equal level with them due to being unable to be at peace with himself.

This is only mentioned in the art book and not the show, but apparently the idea before was that lightningbending is restricted to the royal family and some of their guards. Which is why Azuala, Iroh, and Ozai are basically the only examples that you see. I would suspect that restriction was lifted under Zuko, but even if it wasn't, they'd have no say over who gets to use it in the Republic.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

There is a scene where Bolin creates lava during the fight with Ghazan, although you blink and you miss it. I agree that his fighting style isn't anywhere close to the level of Ghazan, but it seems like the lavabending is more intuitive than most other forms of advanced bending (metal, blood, lightning, flight, etc).

Although I wonder what the rules are for flight; does it really require letting go of all earthly attachments and achieving some kind of "enlightened" state, or is it just something a small percentage of Airbenders can achieve with enough skill and practice? In A:TLA, there were only a few lightining benders (Azula, Iroh, and Ozin), all of whom were very skilled and very strong benders, and even Zuko couldn't lightning bend despite being on a equal level with them due to being unable to be at peace with himself. In LOK, it seems like lightning bending is far more common and doesn't require any kind of philosophical thought or introspection, since they have fire benders using it to generate electricity. So I wonder if Zaheer is just full of poo poo and eventually we might be able to see more airbenders fly, without having to forego connections to other people or things they care about.
Mako's personality is that sort of calm, cool, and collected (most of the time) that makes him ideal for using lightning. I see no reason not to assume that all the power plant workers have that same sort of temperament.
Also there's the spread of information that comes with the end of the Fire Nation Royal Family's isolation from the rest of the world, as well as the invention of the printing press.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Wait. Now that I think about it, could Book 4 see the end of the Fire Lord? The Red Lotus is still out there, and whatever happens to Ba Sing Se I'm guessing that part of the message is going to be "monarchy in principle is lovely" so even though Zuko's daughter might be an awesome ruler (she totally is), shouldn't there be elections in the Fire Nation if the Earth Kingdom is going to transition to some form of democracy?
That was pretty much my point before, Korra stopped Zaheer after he killed the Earth Queen and the city descended in to chaos. It's a pretty obvious parallel to the 99% vs 1% which as we've seen is an easy idea to get behind, there's no way it doesn't spread around the world. In that sense Zaheer won and Korra lost.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Fire Nation went to a British style democracy with a Prime Minister and Fire Lord instead of a President.

LoK still feels like it's suffering from having short seasons though, nothing feels earned and there hasn't been a good through line. The way the season ended with the sadness and poison hallucinations really makes me think the through line is that Korra feels like a failure as a mediator and Avatar. She has to fix one more problem in season 4 before the world loves her and builds giant-rear end statues in her honor.

I also had a though about Korra losing her connection to the past avatars... I don't think it'll be anything sad like she is the last avatar, but I think it'll be the start of a new cycle. She went back to the beginning and saw the first Avatar before she lost it all (it's like poetry), and the world is changing fast as gently caress. Korra could see the internet in her lifetime, what good is [practically] prehistoric knowledge gonna help?

Basically season 4 is either going to make LoK a work of art of the biggest waste of a good cartoon series, but I have high hopes.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

"You look beautiful, sweetie." :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The good news is that Korra should now have Wan's memories, meaning that all future Avatar's will still have those too.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

"I also feel dead inside. Wanna hang out?" :geno:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sephyr posted:

-Anyone else feeling that Legend of Korra may be dipping a bit too much into the Joss Whedon school of female protagonists? Namely, dragging them through hell until they are broken husks held together by their friends and mission? I understand there's going to be conflict and dire straits and being taken hostage, but I'd like to see Korra's more aggressive, in-your-face personality refined instead of erased.

Maybe, though I wouldn't say that's specific to Whedon in the slightest. It's pretty hard to say, being specific to Korra, because honestly we really don't yet know exactly why she's fallen into this depression. It's obviously more than just an aftereffect of being poisoned. Season 4 will be the only real way to tell what the last 5 minutes of Season 3 actually mean for Korra and hopefully it turns out to be something more significant than "Oh, well she's just sad she couldn't have stopped everything Zaheer did and had to sit in a wheelchair for a month."

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Rand Brittain posted:

Should the Air Nation return to that level of spirituality? It seems like both series have acknowledged that spirituality has its benefits, but have been not-too-subtly critical of people who are willing to set aside their earthly bonds, not just in the character of Zaheer but also in Uncle Iroh's advice to Aang in the finale of Earth.

I think even among the Air Nomads, there were few who were at that level of true dedication to achieving enlightenment. Mostly, they seemed to go about the business of everyday life -- training the kids, playing pai sho, making fruit pies. It'd be a rare few who spent their whole life completely dedicated to severing their earthly bonds.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

DrSunshine posted:

"I also feel dead inside. Wanna hang out?" :geno:

Speaking of Mai, I wonder if we are ever going to find out if Zuko married her or not. They kind of dodged that question with Toph by making the parentage of both her children a mystery.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I just want to know if Sokka has any living descendents. Three seasons and we know basically nothing about post-ATLA Sokka except that he was on the Republic City Council and still loved his boomerang! You've got one more season to fix this, Korra.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Barlow posted:

Speaking of Mai, I wonder if we are ever going to find out if Zuko married her or not. They kind of dodged that question with Toph by making the parentage of both her children a mystery.

Momma was a rolling stone :v:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This made me realize that in 30 years Korra's gonna have to deal with Sozin's Comet. I don't mean we'd get to see that, that's obviously not going to be a part of Book 4, but it is fun to imagine.

It would actually be pretty sweet if after two comets of Firebenders trying to take over or flat out burn the world, the comet arrives and all firebenders do is jetpack around and shoot fire patterns into the sky and such.

Since I'm curious, can anyone refresh my memory on if earth and airbenders were ever assigned a time period or set of conditions that drastically increase (or decrease)their bending abilities, similar to how sozin's comet boosts firebenders and a full moon boosts waterbenders?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Darth Nat posted:

I just want to know if Sokka has any living descendents. Three seasons and we know basically nothing about post-ATLA Sokka except that he was on the Republic City Council and still loved his boomerang! You've got one more season to fix this, Korra.

I'm hoping we'll hear some more about Sokka in chapter four.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

NowonSA posted:

It would actually be pretty sweet if after two comets of Firebenders trying to take over or flat out burn the world, the comet arrives and all firebenders do is jetpack around and shoot fire patterns into the sky and such.

Since I'm curious, can anyone refresh my memory on if earth and airbenders were ever assigned a time period or set of conditions that drastically increase (or decrease)their bending abilities, similar to how sozin's comet boosts firebenders and a full moon boosts waterbenders?

Yeah, I was going to say that it'd be awesome if this time around, the Comet was an excuse to have a massive, awesome celebration, like a huge "fire festival" worldwide. :krad:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Fifty Three posted:

"You look beautiful, sweetie." :(

:lol:
Korra with her yarmulke and dead-eyed stare never fail to make me laugh.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong
I'm hoping season four is nothing but Korra trying to standardize the rules of Pai Sho
Book 4: Regulators :black101:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

NowonSA posted:

No, but I'd imagine fighting an airbender during any kind of windstorm would not be fun, since they would probably be mostly unaffected by the wind.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

NowonSA posted:

If we ever were to get Avatar in Space, I wonder what effect being on other planets with higher or lower gravity would have for Earthbenders.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Bah, they already removed episodes on Hulu, only 5-9 of season three are left. Not impressed

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I wonder if they'd ban fire benders from probending during the comet? Or just have exclusive matches for them?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Jorenko posted:

I don't think Korra's going to be in a wheelchair for /any/ episodes next season. She didn't shatter her legbones or sever her spinal cord. She's just weak while recovering from the poison. After a few weeks of rest she'll be mostly back to normal.

Yeah, though it might've been pretty cool to see her fight from a wheelchair.

And all that lavabending got me thinking: wouldn't it be neat if airbenders were to figure out the phase-change thing? Cryo-bending, anyone?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

VaultAggie posted:

I wonder if they'd ban fire benders from probending during the comet? Or just have exclusive matches for them?
I think they just won't have probending that one night that happens once every 100 years.

Edit: Check it out! Awesome background art from Book 3!

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 25, 2014

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I think they just won't have probending that one night that happens once every 100 years.

Edit: Check it out! Awesome background art from Book 3!

Oh Northern Air Temple. You were too beautiful for this world. :(

Read
Dec 21, 2010

NowonSA posted:

Earthbenders have something, fault lines I believe. I forget if Airbenders have anything.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Read posted:

Earthbenders have something, fault lines I believe. I forget if Airbenders have anything.
There is nothing beyond fan speculation that I am aware of that says this.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Irish Joe posted:

:lol:
Korra with her yarmulke and dead-eyed stare never fail to make me laugh.

I couldn't stop thinking "man she really hates going to Jinora's bat mitzvah".

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Did her rabbi forget to mention that only men have to wear kippahs?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

There is nothing beyond fan speculation that I am aware of that says this.

It's sourced from the original "I.P. Bible" for ATLA, a document used to lay out rules/facts about an IP and to function as a reference material for preserving continuity / consistency. A bunch of the things in the bible ended up not being in the final version of the show though, so I think people consider it "non-canon".

Neat idea, anyhow.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cockmaster posted:

Yeah, though it might've been pretty cool to see her fight from a wheelchair.

The wheelchair, as annoying as it is to people who use wheelchairs every day, is a fairly easy shorthand to illustrate the loss of something important, especially when someone has to help the person in the wheelchair around or through obstacles. When they have more than 5 minutes to explore whatever her condition is I would imagine that one of the first scenes we will have next season is Korra getting out of the wheelchair and looking healthy but still be noticeably depressed.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Hauldren Collider posted:

Did her rabbi forget to mention that only men have to wear kippahs?

She's going to a Conservative shul with a strong feminist wing on the ritual committee.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

dj_clawson posted:

She's going to a Conservative shul with a strong feminist wing on the ritual committee.

or a reform synagogue where they just dgaf

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Her hat is cute. I hope she keeps it for another episode.

SmellOfPetroleum
Jan 6, 2013
Just watched the finale. Read some of the posts around the air-date, but skipped ahead.

Best Bolin moment by far, that actually fit the grim tone of the series while still being funny, was not the 'you can metalbend' reveal or the hug-steal or the sock.

It was the loving wink.

Also wheelchair Korra was a mixed bag of emotions for me. I think the thread has covered the depression and mercury poisoning and her outfit, but really what got me is her posture. She looks so old. That's the exact pose I'd imagine her in as a grandma.

SmellOfPetroleum fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 25, 2014

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

Also wheelchair Korra was a mixed bag of emotions for me. I think the thread has covered the depression and mercury poisoning and her outfit, but really what got me is her posture. She looks so old. That's the exact pose I'd imagine her in as a grandma.

I was thinking the same thing. The past year has completely taken its toll on her, and it shows in a ton of ways. Like other people, I really hope that season 4 has dealt with her depression, and doesn't completely resolve it instantly (I'm using past tense because anything concerning the story for season 4 has been done for a long time by now).

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

Best Bolin moment by far, that actually fit the grim tone of the series while still being funny, was not the 'you can metalbend' reveal or the hug-steal or the sock.

It was the loving wink.
What was the wink again? Also I like Bolin's jokes but the sock was really out of place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
The wink was during Bolin's fight with Ghazan, after Bolin reveals that he can lavabend. I actually liked the wink too -- I wish the writers would try being more subtle with Bolin's personality like that more often, instead of stuff like the loving bird calls or, yeah, the sock.

• Locked thread