Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
It's hilarious how the news will point to Mortal Kombat or Doom as a video game that causes violence when they don't even bat an eye at any given multiplayer Mario game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Moriatti posted:

I have always admired that somehow, Wario Ware causes less strife amongst friends then Mario Parties.

Well, WarioWare is for the most part single-player. Only a couple of them have had notable multiplayer.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Suspicious Cook posted:

It's hilarious how the news will point to Mortal Kombat or Doom as a video game that causes violence when they don't even bat an eye at any given multiplayer Mario game.

It's probably because, like Navi's annoyance and Super Metroid's greatness, nerds looooooooooooooove to exaggerate Mario Party "violence"

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

oddium posted:

It's probably because, like Navi's annoyance and Super Metroid's greatness, nerds looooooooooooooove to exaggerate Mario Party "violence"

Super Metroid is my favorite game of all time so I think we're going to have to fight
Nerds do that, right

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oddium posted:

No man I totally killed a man over mario party. We definitely didn't just awkwardly laugh when a dude got three bonus stars, I got legitimately angry.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Endorph posted:

No man I totally killed a man over mario party. We definitely didn't just awkwardly laugh when a dude got three bonus stars, I got legitimately angry.

All I'm getting from this post is that neither of you read the Wii U doomsaying thread and it's repeated unironic arguments over the blue shell

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Oddium I'm sorry to hear you're wrong about Super Metroid.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Zero Mission is a better Metroid and Fusion is a more fun game than either of those two. Educate yourself to this reality

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
we're gonna have to settle this argument with a 1v1 game of Mario Party 2.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

oddium posted:

Zero Mission is a better Metroid and Fusion is a more fun game than either of those two. Educate yourself to this reality

Wow.

I'm so sorry.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

oddium posted:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oddium is currently the best poster in this thread.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I only accept these statements about Mario Party if you're referring to the friend destroying effects of Dokapon Kingdom, and a lesser extent, Fortune Street.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Zero Mission controls way, way better than Super Metroid does. It can be pretty frustrating to go from the GBA Metroids to Super where you need to tab twelve times to Power Bomb or press three buttons to aim diagonally in different directions.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

pichupal posted:

I only accept these statements about Mario Party if you're referring to the friend destroying effects of Dokapon Kingdom, and a lesser extent, Fortune Street.

From literally every account I've heard of Dokapon Kingdom, it's actually incredibly slow and boring as balls.

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

oddium posted:

Having played the gently caress out of those two and never touched super metroid I believe I am more than qualified to quantify this statement as true

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Waffleman_ posted:

From literally every account I've heard of Dokapon Kingdom, it's actually incredibly slow and boring as balls.

It is, I really need to sell my copy because it's incredibly uninteresting and the charm of getting to draw on your friend's avatar after beating them at rock paper scissors wears off incredibly quickly.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Super, Fusion and Zero Mission are all great games that everyone should play but Prime is still king.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

fusion is a very fun and great game but a terrible metroid game

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

MinibarMatchman posted:

fusion is a very fun and great game but a terrible metroid game

Agreedo

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, basically. Zero Mission is the most metroid game of them all, and everyone should play it.

Fusion was good but felt super restricting, like it was betraying its roots.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

FPzero posted:

Super, Fusion and Zero Mission are all great games that everyone should play but Prime is still king.

... I think Zero Mission is better than Prime. :shobon:

Honestly though all the Metroid's are pretty great outside of the 8-bit ones, which have aged kinda poorly and are more frustrating than fun nowadays.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

FPzero posted:

Yes. Prime is so fuckin good.

There's a guy working on the Dolphin emulator for getting games to run on the Oculus Rift. It's lovely right now, but if it gets working well I'm going to die from cumming (this one is using a different program so you get the idea)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctRn9FG0D1c

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Lemming posted:

Zero Mission controls way, way better than Super Metroid does. It can be pretty frustrating to go from the GBA Metroids to Super where you need to tab twelve times to Power Bomb or press three buttons to aim diagonally in different directions.
This is exactly the crux of why oddium is actually right. The switching weapons and aiming and everything in Super Metroid is really loving bad, Zero may lose some complexity but most of what it lost was chaff and it's a better game for it. Ideal dream 2d metroid would be somewhere in between with more or less Zero's controls but some more item variety

Ignite Memories posted:

Fusion was good but felt super restricting, like it was betraying its roots.
It is a bit, but it has maybe the best bosses in the series.(No, I don't mean the final one, I mean the spider and nightmare and B.O.X and Fusion's Ridley minus the loudness)

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

It's really good as long as you're playing with a group of people who are all trying to win the game and are aggressive out of the gate. It's dull as hell if everyone spends the first twenty eight of fifty turns or whatever passively slinking around the map trying to do as much as they can without stepping on somebody else's toes first.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

FPzero posted:

Prime 1 is so good! So loving good!

E;f,b

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I freakin' love Metroid games. Why hasn't there been one since Prime 3? This series is fantastic.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

I freakin' love Metroid games. Why hasn't there been one since Prime 3? This series is fantastic.

I don't know. I really wish they'd make a new one.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

IronicDongz posted:

This is exactly the crux of why oddium is actually right. The switching weapons and aiming and everything in Super Metroid is really loving bad, Zero may lose some complexity but most of what it lost was chaff and it's a better game for it. Ideal dream 2d metroid would be somewhere in between with more or less Zero's controls but some more item variety

Literally the only fault with Super Metroid is the item switching, though. And honestly, I've gotten used to it. I bet a Super Metroid 3DS remake would be great, they would just need to bind items to the D-Pad and add missiles to RB.

I dare you to say something else wrong with the game. You can't. It's Super "Goddamn" Metroid.

Also mods please rename this thread to "Metroid Megathread also there's a new smash bros maybe"

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Lemming posted:

I love Super Metroid but this is incredibly true and must be said.

Didn't care for Fusion that much, though.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Spore Spawn and Botwoon are boring as poo poo.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Botwoon owns, I love whack-a-mole.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Didn't care for Fusion that much, though.

Fusion felt like a slog at times, like certain enemies took way too many shots to kill just to get past them. It was still really fun, though. The SA-X sections were the best.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Suspicious Cook posted:

Japan tried to take it, and it died before the game was finished.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Fusion felt like a slog at times, like certain enemies took way too many shots to kill just to get past them. It was still really fun, though. The SA-X sections were the best.
Yeah. The first sighting scared the hell out of me.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Suspicious Cook posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUAqsdDRrS0

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

I dare you to say something else wrong with the game. You can't.

In Super Metroid the bosses look like this and are not fun to fight:

In Metroid Fusion the bosses look like this and are fun to fight:

Thanks for listening

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Now that Retro's done with Donkey Kong, maybe they'll finally make Metroid Prime 4: Dread.

But only after they rerelease Prime Trilogy HD, 1080p 60fps with updated textures, lighting and shadows, options for using Wiimotes or gamepad. :circlefap:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

Literally the only fault with Super Metroid is the item switching, though. And honestly, I've gotten used to it. I bet a Super Metroid 3DS remake would be great, they would just need to bind items to the D-Pad and add missiles to RB.

I dare you to say something else wrong with the game. You can't. It's Super "Goddamn" Metroid.

Also mods please rename this thread to "Metroid Megathread also there's a new smash bros maybe"

The physics are sluggish, space jumping is pretty broken, the beam sounds are kind of muffled, the regular beam looks pretty bad.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

Super Metroid with controls as good as Zero Mission would be better than Zero Mission(not by a huge margin, but better), but, it doesn't have those. It has awkward as gently caress item switching, a run button which noone missed once it was gone, the most awkward walljumps in any metroid, and the diagonal aiming which is totally inferior to ZM's. Not really small flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

I never enjoyed the Spider boss in Fusion. It's still a great game, a few minor problems aside.

Also it's your problem if you don't enjoy shooting a lizard so many times he falls into lava and gets turned into a skeleton.

• Locked thread