Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

You get to melt his loving face off what more do you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Now that Retro's done with Donkey Kong, maybe they'll finally make Metroid Prime 4: Dread.

My brain processed this sentence too fast and all I got was "Retro should do Donkey Kong Prime."

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also this

oddium posted:

In Super Metroid the bosses look like this and are not fun to fight:

In Metroid Fusion the bosses look like this and are fun to fight:

Thanks for listening
crocomire is ok but he's not as good as fusion's

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

oddium posted:

In Super Metroid the bosses look like this and are not fun to fight:

No way. Both Super Metroid and Fusion were hard, but Super was cleverly hard, as in "Oooh, so that's how you kill Draygon. Awesome." Fusion was stupidly hard, as in "Haha you mistimed this one jump have fun getting murdered by Nightmare bitch!"

Super made you think. Fusion made you replay sections over and over until you had the muscle memory to pass through the bullshit.

Some parts of Fusion did own though. SA-X and the final boss fight, for one.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Does the new Smash still have directional air dodging or is that gone? I forgot.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Part of the reason why Zero Mission is great is that it has a Hard mode and extra endings. Low percent Hard was loving difficult but beating it was awesome.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Reiley posted:

Does the new Smash still have directional air dodging or is that gone? I forgot.

Air dodging is still Brawl-style.

I think there was some word that the restrictions on it are a little different, but I can't remember where I heard that.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ammat The Ankh posted:

No way. Both Super Metroid and Fusion were hard, but Super was cleverly hard, as in "Oooh, so that's how you kill Draygon. Awesome." Fusion was stupidly hard, as in "Haha you mistimed this one jump have fun getting murdered by Nightmare bitch!"

Super made you think. Fusion made you replay sections over and over until you had the muscle memory to pass through the bullshit.

Some parts of Fusion did own though. SA-X and the final boss fight, for one.
The Final boss fight in Fusion blows though, you just run forward and back and shoot diagonally. The one before it with SAX is pretty good, minus the exploitable AI.
Draygon sucks, crocomire is a cool concept that takes too long, spore spawn's boring, kraid sucks because of the controls and is far better in ZM, the ghost's reveal is cool but other than that it's just "ok", and uuuuh I guess Ridley's pretty solid? other than him I don't know if I really liked any Super Metroid bosses. There's not really any 'gotcha' moments in fusion bosses so I'm not sure what you're talking about, if you're surprised at getting hosed up because you didn't get out of the way of the giant fuckoff spider you deserved what you got. Fusion's bosses rule and they're maybe the most demanding in a movement/action sense in the 2d metroids, and that's a very good thing, but they are in no way just muscle-memory memorization-gotcha bullshit(there's literally no way nightmare can kill you in one hit because you mistimed a jump, iirc he doesn't have any attacks which do more than one e-tank and you should have like 6-8 or something at least by that point, get gud).

Draygon is a poo poo boss.

Dabir posted:

The physics are sluggish, space jumping is pretty broken, the beam sounds are kind of muffled, the regular beam looks pretty bad.
Yeah the running/jumping in super never really felt right to me.

Also there's no forgiving the quicksand physics. The bits you can sink down into new rooms are neat but just trying to jump out of it is awful tedium.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Excels posted:

i wonder if there are wario "purists" who refuse to acknowledge warioware because it's too different.

Sadly, yes.

I used to have a friend who was legit pissed when he saw that Wario was using his Warioware costume in Brawl. Even when he was revealed to have his classic costume as an option, the guy was still mad because it wasn't default, and because his moveset was based too much on Warioware and not the platformers.

Dude loving hated Warioware, basically.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Color Printer posted:

My brain processed this sentence too fast and all I got was "Retro should do Donkey Kong Prime."

We have to scan the bananas for Kremling lore.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
King K. Ridley, fat ridley with a blunderbuss that shoots cannonballs

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dexie posted:

Sadly, yes.

I used to have a friend who was legit pissed when he saw that Wario was using his Warioware costume in Brawl. Even when he was revealed to have his classic costume as an option, the guy was still mad because it wasn't default, and because his moveset was based too much on Warioware and not the platformers.

This is how I feel and I won't apologize. :colbert:

I do like the Warioware games though, I just prefer the platformers and think his Warioware costume looks dumb.

I was mostly just disappointed that I ended up not enjoying playing as Wario in Brawl when he was the character I was most excited about being added.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Waffleman_ posted:

We have to scan the bananas for Kremling lore.

"Early attempts to imitate the Kong's "rolling" have ended in catastrophic failure."

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Dexie posted:

Sadly, yes.

Dude loving hated Warioware, basically.
I don't even play WarioWare that much and I prefer the WarioWare costume. It has more personality and it feels like a distinctly separate franchise from Mario.

And of course Project M made boring Wario default.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Echo Chamber posted:

I don't even play WarioWare that much and I prefer the WarioWare costume. It has more personality and it feels like a distinctly separate franchise from Mario.

And of course Project M made boring Wario default.

You should play WarioWare. They're all great, barring the Wii U one, which is only OK but isn't really a WarioWare game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Warioware is cool but the platformers are too. They don't really feel anything like Mario games.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Wario Land 2 was outstanding. The others were really good too.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The game where Mario collects a ton of coins should have been a Wario game, that was a big-time Brand Whoopsie.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah both Wario franchises are great and distinct, I dunno how you could really call either boring.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That said, it'd be cool if the 3DS had a Wario stage based on that Virtual Boy game.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Echo Chamber posted:

That said, it'd be cool if the 3DS had a Wario stage based on that Virtual Boy game.

Virtual Boy and 3DS combined might well blow children's retinas out of their heads.

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

Wario Land 2 was outstanding. The others were really good too.

Just recently played and completed Wario Land 2 and can confirm this as truth. Only downside was all of the endings were kinda meh and there really wasn't a definitive "final" boss, the last area you unlock after getting all the doodads seems promising but then nope just another big spear soldier.

Wario land 3 though, that was where it was at. Game of my childhood, and I haven't yet seen a final boss design as completely bumfuck crazy and random as Rudy's.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

I enjoyed all the Warioland games, however the first one I played was Warioland 4, and as such that is objectively the greatest game ever conceived.

Seriously though, Warioland 4 is really drat good.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I enjoyed all the Warioland games, however the first one I played was Warioland 4, and as such that is objectively the greatest game ever conceived.

This guy knows what's up

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Wario Land 4 was the first one I played and one of my favorite games as a kid, I am super happy I randomly decided to buy it in a Wal-Mart. Same with Yoshi's Island only I actually bought it on a cruise ship of all places. gently caress if I know where I got the Mega Man Zero and Battle Network games but I had a rad time with those too. And of course I was hype as hell when I first saw the commercial for Ruby and Sapphire.

What I am saying is that the Game Boy Advance was like 80% of my childhood and it was excellent.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010
Fusion is a mediocre game, and Super is the best 2D Metroid by a land slide.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Fusion, Zero Mission, and Super Metroid are all great. WarioWare is great. Wario Land is great.

Everything is great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Wario Land 2 was my first Wario game, but Wario Land 4 is the best one. Wario World is a good game that just needed to not have an unfinished final boss in the US release. Metroid: Zero Mission is a solid remake that is a better Metroid game than the original game it is a remake of, and Metroid Fusion is still a better Metroid game than Other M.

Basically what I'm saying is that EarthBound is the only good RPG ever made and if Ness is gone in Smash Bros 4 there will be hell to pay.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Been playing through Wario Land 4 on WiiU VC and it's great, yup.
I don't mind Wario's Brawl moveset, I guess it's a bit weird how little he draws from his platforming games but I'm no Wario purist

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

.TakaM posted:

Been playing through Wario Land 4 on WiiU VC and it's great, yup.
I don't mind Wario's Brawl moveset, I guess it's a bit weird how little he draws from his platforming games but I'm no Wario purist

I want his standard special to be throwing the professor guy that appeared in 4's little puzzle rooms.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

The reason we haven't seen Wario yet is because they're going to introduce him in the Captain Syrup reveal trailer.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

The Colonel posted:

Wario Land 2 was my first Wario game, but Wario Land 4 is the best one. Wario World is a good game that just needed to not have an unfinished final boss in the US release. Metroid: Zero Mission is a solid remake that is a better Metroid game than the original game it is a remake of, and Metroid Fusion is still a better Metroid game than Other M.

Basically what I'm saying is that EarthBound is the only good RPG ever made and if Ness is gone in Smash Bros 4 there will be hell to pay.

Ness is 100%, no question going to be in. I would put Wario at about 95% but I'm not particularly worried about him either.

It would have been nice if Wario had gotten some more Warioland moves but I like his moveset so much as it is now that I wouldn't want them to really change anything. Maybe with alt moves?

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 25, 2014

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Ammat The Ankh posted:

The reason we haven't seen Wario yet is because they're going to introduce him in the Captain Syrup reveal trailer.

This guy knows the score

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I feel like backing a longshot so I think the last newcomer will be Captain Rainbow.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ammat The Ankh posted:

The reason we haven't seen Wario yet is because they're going to introduce him in the Captain Syrup Jimmy T. reveal trailer.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Captain Syrup would be a fantastic addition.

I think it's more likely we get a Warioware rep though. I really think 9-Volt could be a neat character, or maybe a 9-Volt/18-Volt duo. They could have attacks based off of all the obscure Nintendo titles that otherwise wouldn't get much attention in Smash!

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

I'd be so down for this you don't even know

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yo the best Wario Land is the first one (Mario Land 2) cause of a bunch of reasons but also because at the end of the game Wario is all excited for the giant golden Peach statue until Mario swoops in flying a loving helicopter and takes it away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

KamikazePotato posted:

Fusion, Zero Mission, and Super Metroid are all great. WarioWare is great. Wario Land is great.
It's kind of inexcusable how bad items switching in Super Metroid is when the GBA games handle it better with fewer buttons. Otherwise you are correct.

• Locked thread