Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

CatsPajamas posted:

Wait, really? I had always assumed that was just a joke, and I've never met anyone in person who actually thought that. Is awareness that much of an issue? I remember seeing a study that said the only positive correlation to sales of a game was advertising, and it's a drat shame if that's true for either games or systems.

From my experience it's definitely not a joke. Every person I've brought up the Wii U with (not an exaggeration, literally every person) didn't understand that it wasn't some sort of add-on tablet device and was actually a brand new console. This ranges from older people to tech savvy people who own several consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I don't think I've even seen a nintendo video ad. Might help to take some of those billions and buy some youtube and cable ad time.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I was talking to a co-worker awhile ago about how I had playing the new Mario on my new Wii U and he had no idea Nintendo even had a new console out. Nintendo did not do a very good job promoting this thing to the public. I guess they couldn't have really recreated what they had with the Wii (where it was pretty much a media sensation) but they pretty much had nothing. Ironically I think part of the problem is the name Wii U, which I think they went with because of how well known the Wii became so they figured it would be a good idea to build on that brand rather than start a new one, but this lead to no one knowing it was a new console.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Just call it the Wii 2 like normal people.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Slur posted:

I just beat Pikmin 3 with every fruit and every secret file. After watching Olimar's logs, I was wondering: the narrator in the finale states that the S.S. Drake crash may not have been an accident. Is there anything in the game telling me what caused it? If so, where can I find in-game where this is at?

Nothing explicit in the game itself, but the end boss is apparently at least partially based on a Japanese folk tale called Umibozu, which is an ocean demon that would capsize ships. So the game is implying that the plasm wraith is crashing spaceships.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The Wii U confusion is absolutely not a joke. :(

My friend who was most confused by it being a new console is tech savvy, into gaming, and a smart guy. The confusion surrounding the Wii U is ridiculous.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Basically, if people know it even exists they assume the gamepad is a stupid SegaCD style add-on.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

CatsPajamas posted:

Wait, really? I had always assumed that was just a joke, and I've never met anyone in person who actually thought that. Is awareness that much of an issue? I remember seeing a study that said the only positive correlation to sales of a game was advertising, and it's a drat shame if that's true for either games or systems.

I was under the impression the Wii appealed to a much broader audience, however the new segments of that audience weren't the kind of people who were going to buy a new console every generation. Nintendo's never had any planned obsolescence so if people are happy with a Wii it's not going to spontaneously combust anytime soon. I was still playing my NES when I got my N64.

I've been a lifelong Nintendo fan, camped out to buy a Wii on launch day, and while my interest waned as the Wii reached the end of its cycle, I still did a lot of PC gaming and considered myself more well-informed about gaming than most casual Wii owners. I had no idea the Wii U was an entirely new console for its first year and only found out because of the SA forums. I thought it was another peripheral or possibly a deluxe Wii, like a partial upgrade to a new console or something. Granted I didn't do much research into it at all but if that's the awareness I had I'm sure a more casual crowd is even less aware of it.

Keeping the Wii name was smart; my girlfriend still refers to it as "playing Wii". But just adding U to the end was a bad call; it doesn't really seem distinct enough, like it could be the name of a peripheral, and what does the U mean? I still have no idea. It also sounds bad phonetically, it's a muddy set of "words". Even Wii 2 or something would've been better.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

I've been a lifelong Nintendo fan, camped out to buy a Wii on launch day, and while my interest waned as the Wii reached the end of its cycle, I still did a lot of PC gaming and considered myself more well-informed about gaming than most casual Wii owners. I had no idea the Wii U was an entirely new console for its first year and only found out because of the SA forums. I thought it was another peripheral or possibly a deluxe Wii, like a partial upgrade to a new console or something. Granted I didn't do much research into it at all but if that's the awareness I had I'm sure a more casual crowd is even less aware of it.

Keeping the Wii name was smart; my girlfriend still refers to it as "playing Wii". But just adding U to the end was a bad call; it doesn't really seem distinct enough, like it could be the name of a peripheral, and what does the U mean? I still have no idea. It also sounds bad phonetically, it's a muddy set of "words". Even Wii 2 or something would've been better.

"Wii would like to play" was just excellent marketing. Why they didn't further extend it to "Wii would like to play with U" a mystery to me. Even calling it Wii 2 could have kept it as "Wii want to play 2".

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
It's painful to see how many people don't know that the Wii U is a new console and not just an add-on for the Wii. It seems like a large part of the Wii U's sales issues compared to other consoles is solely due to bad marketing and choice in a name.

People like numbers. I assume the next console will be called the Wii 3 or something. I'm not sure if the "Wii 3 is obviously less than PS5 :downs:" effect due to numbers will matter though. I am told that is why Microsoft named their second console the XBox 360 instead of XBox 2.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I'm debating posting my Star Fox 64 Wii Shop Channel code on here for somebody else to enjoy because I don't want to ever launch Wii mode on my Wii U. PM me if you want it.

Unless I can ask for a Club Nintendo Coin refund. Can I?

e: Okay, it has been claimed. Thanks for playing!(?)

zfleeman fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 24, 2014

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The 3rd Wii will be called Wiii. 4th, Wiiii and so on. They planned on that with the second Wii but ya know, Wii.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Morby posted:

"Wii would like to play" was just excellent marketing. Why they didn't further extend it to "Wii would like to play with U" a mystery to me. Even calling it Wii 2 could have kept it as "Wii want to play 2".

They actually did this when they announced it. Unfortunately, adding U to something doesn't mean anything to anyone, so people don't hear WiiU and think it's a new thing. It's a terrible name, and I know they wanted to capitalize on the Wii brand, but they did it in almost the worst possible way. I really think more people would buy it (or at least be aware of it) if it wasn't so stupidly named.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Gutcruncher posted:

The 3rd Wii will be called Wiii. 4th, Wiiii and so on. They planned on that with the second Wii but ya know, Wii.

No the 4th Wii will be called the Wiv.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

The Taint Reaper posted:

No the 4th Wii will be called the Wiv.

Sounds way too much like a racial slur, sorry you dont have a future in marketing.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

They should just call the next one "The Nintendo". That's what everyone calls them all anyway, and then when they release a new one they can just do the whole "Nintendo 2" or "Ultra Nintendo".

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

elf help book posted:

Please quote some numbers you don't know are true and don't understand. Maybe we can turn this ship around. Maybe we can come up with a new name for the console?

lol

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I've been considering getting a Wii U for a long time, which I eventually will because the ps4 is going to be a slow burn, and every time I mention that to my family I have to re-explain that the Wii is outmoded and that it would be super nice for Netflix because the gamepad is basically a tablet. Every single time.

They get excited but promptly forget it exists.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Natron posted:

They actually did this when they announced it. Unfortunately, adding U to something doesn't mean anything to anyone, so people don't hear WiiU and think it's a new thing. It's a terrible name, and I know they wanted to capitalize on the Wii brand, but they did it in almost the worst possible way. I really think more people would buy it (or at least be aware of it) if it wasn't so stupidly named.
What I don't understand is how it made it all the way through development and release. You'd think somewhere along the way someone would have said "Wait this name is stupid, it doesn't convey *new console* at all."

Even Reggie couldn't sell it during the 2011 E3 announcement.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Chaltab posted:

What I don't understand is how it made it all the way through development and release. You'd think somewhere along the way someone would have said "Wait this name is stupid, it doesn't convey *new console* at all."

Even Reggie couldn't sell it during the 2011 E3 announcement.

I remember watching that event, chatting with a bunch of people over a forum's chatbox, and having a small debate as we tried to figure out whether it the tablet somehow 'upgraded' existing consoles, was just a new peripheral, or indeed was a new console. We had it mostly figured out by the end, but good lord it was not clear from the get go.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

g0lbez posted:

From my experience it's definitely not a joke. Every person I've brought up the Wii U with (not an exaggeration, literally every person) didn't understand that it wasn't some sort of add-on tablet device and was actually a brand new console. This ranges from older people to tech savvy people who own several consoles.

That has happened to me a few times. The name and ad campaigns did a bad job making people aware.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

BFC posted:

I've been considering getting a Wii U for a long time, which I eventually will because the ps4 is going to be a slow burn, and every time I mention that to my family I have to re-explain that the Wii is outmoded and that it would be super nice for Netflix because the gamepad is basically a tablet. Every single time.

PS4 is likely better for Netflix. When using Netflix on the Wii U it's not possible to turn off the gamepad screen. So if you're watching it on TV the gamepad will display a static image of what your watching and as far as I can tell there is no way to make the screen stay black. I don't use it for Netflix ever because I'm worried about burn in on the gamepad, so I keep my PS3 hooked up for Netflix.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Okay like seriously, for real - I knew the Wii U was a new console when they announced it, understood that right out the gate, easy-peasy.

You know what really confused me, until I finally realized that Kid Icarus Uprising wasn't a Wii game with massive amounts of aliasing? The 3DS.

Gutcruncher posted:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

BFC posted:

Don't buy a game console for Netflix when things like Chromecast exist for 30 bucks.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

CatsPajamas posted:

I was under the impression the Wii appealed to a much broader audience, however the new segments of that audience weren't the kind of people who were going to buy a new console every generation. Nintendo's never had any planned obsolescence so if people are happy with a Wii it's not going to spontaneously combust anytime soon. I was still playing my NES when I got my N64.

I have heard many times that large segments of the population didn't know Wii U was a new system. It seems that the tablet controller was unappealing enough on its own, that people didn't even look into it.

Personally I knew Nintendo released a new system. I loved the unholy Christ out of my Wii and have pretty much been on board with Nintendo since my very early childhood. But Wii U was the first system from them I didn't buy within a year.

I went to the store to look at it. I was unimpressed with the shape of the system, since the Wii's form factor was awesome. The price tag was really high, it was like Nintendo's most expensive system I think. There weren't any games that I was interested in. It didn't seem to use Wiimotes anymore, which were beloved by me. It used some kind of regular controller with a giant awkward screen on it.

So I didn't buy. Until Mario Kart 8 came out and they offered a free game, then I noticed the price was at least 100€ less than last time I checked. Wasn't bad marketing for me, it just didn't look like an appealing system. Looking back on it, I still wouldn't have bought one until now.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Nolgthorn posted:

The price tag was really high, it was like Nintendo's most expensive system I think.

The crazy thing is, that's not actually the case when you adjust for inflation. But without it, its a very visible markup from the usual 200~ dollar price range, so I can understand that putting people off.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Natron posted:

They should just call the next one "The Nintendo". That's what everyone calls them all anyway, and then when they release a new one they can just do the whole "Nintendo 2" or "Ultra Nintendo".

Long live the Ultra 64.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I never thought Ultra 64 was a bad name

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Astro Nut posted:

The crazy thing is, that's not actually the case when you adjust for inflation. But without it, its a very visible markup from the usual 200~ dollar price range, so I can understand that putting people off.
Even adjusted for inflation, only the NES and SNES are more expensive than the BASIC Wii U was at launch. If you only count the Deluxe Wii U, then only the NES was more expensive.

homeless snail posted:

Don't buy a game console for Netflix when things like Chromecast exist for 30 bucks.
I'm not sure that was his reason for wanting to buy the system.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

homeless snail posted:

I just want Wonderful 101. I could watch Netflix on my PC; the tablet is more trying to get them to understand that convincing me to get a PS4 is not gonna happen.

Also thanks for the suggestion. Didn't even know Chromecast existed.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Just FYI for everyone, there are starting to be Hyrule Warriors streams on Twitch.tv if you want to check out more than just the couple trailers that have been out there. They are all Japanese, though, so I can't tell what the story is (if there is one)

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
http://www.twitch.tv/gamexplain is streaming it right now... Game looks visually impressive compared to the other Dynasty Warrior games I've played. :stare:

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

katkillad2 posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/gamexplain is streaming it right now... Game looks visually impressive compared to the other Dynasty Warrior games I've played. :stare:

Never played a Dynasty Warriors game. Always heard they were butt, but this looks pretty great. A neat enough distraction/stopgap.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Astro Nut posted:

I remember watching that event, chatting with a bunch of people over a forum's chatbox, and having a small debate as we tried to figure out whether it the tablet somehow 'upgraded' existing consoles, was just a new peripheral, or indeed was a new console. We had it mostly figured out by the end, but good lord it was not clear from the get go.
See, that just strikes me as weird. I mean, if you're not really a tech savvy person and you're just watching the presentation to report on it or because it was on, perhaps, but the tech demos they showed off in 2011 were clearly far and above anything the Wii could be expected to produce, even if the tablet could somehow upgrade it. I wasn't surprised when people who didn't watch the presentation were confused, but I don't know how people who did got confused.

Also holy poo poo Wonderful 101, what do I have to do to satisfy your Platinum medal requirements? I take as little as 350 damage and it still drops me to a gold medal.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

zfleeman posted:

Never played a Dynasty Warriors game. Always heard they were butt, but this looks pretty great. A neat enough distraction/stopgap.
Dynasty Warriors games are very good if you want a Dynasty Warriors games. Combat isn't super deep and objectives are all fairly similar but if you want a game where you kill tons of dudes, Dynasty Warriors is the game for you.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Chaltab posted:

I take as little as 350 damage and it still drops me to a gold medal.

Taking no damage at all is the rule of thumb for getting platinum rankings in W101.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Chaltab posted:

Also holy poo poo Wonderful 101, what do I have to do to satisfy your Platinum medal requirements? I take as little as 350 damage and it still drops me to a gold medal.

It gives you separate medals based on time, damage and combo and then averages those to give you the actual medal for the mission. Taking any damage at all will drop your damage medal to a gold (or lower if you keep getting hit obviously). If you get a platinum for time and combo but get a gold for damage you'll still get a platinum overall.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Someone at work a couple of years ago saw me playing my Vita on break and asked me if that was the new Wii U. Which really isn't that bad of a guess, it's like Nintendo tried their hardest to keep anyone from finding out it comes with a TV box you plug in.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Endorph posted:

Dynasty Warriors games are very good if you want a Dynasty Warriors games. Combat isn't super deep and objectives are all fairly similar but if you want a game where you kill tons of dudes, Dynasty Warriors is the game for you.

I say Diablo 3 is better for the tons of dudes killing because they explode in a spectacular fashion. Dynasty Warriors enemies are like pounding sections of sand that you cut off.

Chaltab posted:

Buy all the upgrades and switch them out for every mission because stuff can be pretty specific. I know for the first big boss the upgrades can make it trivial because health regen and combos can break the game with the wonderliner.

Also always save the space veggies and only use them to make credit cards.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Chaltab posted:

The people who said "take no damage" are right. The most important moves in the game are Guts and Spring. Pretty much every attack is signaled by an animation and audio queue, and non-boss enemies typically have a handful of moves, so you just need to learn the right reaction for each and then have the timing to pull it off. Once you can beat a battle with no damage you can work on improving your speed if you need to, but I found it was typically always damage that would trip me up except for a few specific instances.

zfleeman posted:

I am really looking forward to Hyrule Warriors because it looks like not just a Dynasty Warriors game but a pretty drat good Dynasty Warriors game. I only played I think 2 games in the series and I thought they were both decent. From the looks of things though it seems like Hyrule Warriors takes the same gameplay concepts but looks more polished. Also you can drop the moon on enemies.

• Locked thread