Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Quest For Glory II posted:

Started Binary Domain, immediately wished I could remap the controls (aim was Back button, shoot was start, L/R looked up and down?? right stick didn't even work). Not that I can't play it with M+KB but I've been leanback gaming a lot, it's a little disappointing. I'll come back to it later. Obviously that's a glitch or something.

You can configure it in the launcher can't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Am I SOL if Playfire puts rewards on achievements I already have? Removed them, then "achieved" them again through SAM, and I'm getting no cash. It's been three days.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

You can configure it in the launcher can't you?
Nope, but you can configure the keyboard+mouse controls.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Azran posted:

Am I SOL if Playfire puts rewards on achievements I already have? Removed them, then "achieved" them again through SAM, and I'm getting no cash. It's been three days.

I would think that Playfire scrapes your account when you first join and knows what you have achieved. After that it updates every now and again to see what new ones you have. There's no reason for them to get rid of achievements you've magically unachieved, and I'd avoid doing it just in case they look for that as a cheat and ban for it.
But I don't work there so that's all a guess.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Azran posted:

I would say 90% of all the money I have made from Playfire is from achievements I already have. I just fire up the game in SAM to push it along in the sync, but I have no confirmation if that actually works.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm thinking of getting back into Space Rangers 2, which I kind of dropped after DS2 came out, though I can't decide if I should start a new campaign or not. How many pirate missions are there? I think I just finished the one where you blow up a research station with space bombs.

Nope, but you can configure the keyboard+mouse controls.

Oh, well that's pretty dumb then. I thought I played it on a 360 controller myself, though.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Started Binary Domain, immediately wished I could remap the controls (aim was Back button, shoot was start, L/R looked up and down?? right stick didn't even work). Not that I can't play it with M+KB but I've been leanback gaming a lot, it's a little disappointing. I'll come back to it later. Obviously that's a glitch or something.

Are you using an official 360 controller or is it third-party? I'm not sure if that would make a difference but it's the only thing I can think of that might be the cause of those problems.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Ragequit posted:

I would say 90% of all the money I have made from Playfire is from achievements I already have. I just fire up the game in SAM to push it along in the sync, but I have no confirmation if that actually works.

I've never had a single previously-attained achievement give me a Playfire reward.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Gromit posted:

I've never had a single previously-attained achievement give me a Playfire reward.

There apparently isn't a single consistent thing with that service.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've never had playfire ever actually give me any GMG credit. I just gave up after a while.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Well, to come in right in the middle of things, I've definitely gotten credit for previously completed achievements. On the other hand, it's been a while since that's happened. I think they must have refined their system to some degree.

I also have $3 or so in playfire credit that refuses to transfer over. Getting high enough that I want to cash out before I get the SAMhammer, but drat it, I want my full amount.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Have you tried going to Microsoft and updating the Xinput driver? I hear that works for some people.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The first thing I thought when I played Binary Domain was that it would've been so great if they had developed it with a co-op campaign in mind. It gives you a fun, cartoonish team with specialized weapon loadouts and even has them gently caress off and do stuff on the side but oftentimes still on screen. A missed opportunity, but I guess it would've been hell to actually implement over the arena poo poo we did get.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Shindragon posted:

Five Nights at Freedy's is more like an anxiety simulator. The jump scares are mostly when you are going to be killed. Only one jumps out of the door to kill you but after a few times, you can tell when it's gonna happen if you aren't careful. Most of the time, you are checking on them to make sure they don't move in close enough to kill you.

Nothing more horrifying then hearing a Da Dum DUM or the sounds of a bunny hopping closer to kill you. :v:

On Night 2 they introduce the Pirate Cove character. All the camera shows is a closed curtain. At 4am I check on it again. The curtain is wide open. In a panic I click through the cameras, and I check the ones just outside my room last. It's loving running down the hall and I only have enough time to drop my monitor and the thing is in my face! :cry:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Ryuga Death posted:

Five Nights at Freddies looks like an early 90s FMV game, something one would see on the Sega CD. Somehow, the weird look makes the game seem more unsettling. Funny how a silly idea like murderous animatronics manages to be a more successful horror game enemy than the million jump scare games out there.

That's exactly what attracted me to the game in the first place. The technology is exactly like an old FMV game, down to the panoramic stills (and occasionally FMV videos like when Foxy's on the move) on the cameras and security room, and how all the assets have a very specific "simplistic" style. And it all works, it doesn't look lovely or cheap.

The creator definitely has a style, you can even see it in his previous game The Desolate Hope.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Is it worth it to get Metro Last Light Complete Edition for $5 off of Humble Store or should I wait for the Redux? I was reading some reviews and it seems that LL Redux doesn't really add anything significant, aside from some modes that I would never play.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

unpurposed posted:

Is it worth it to get Metro Last Light Complete Edition for $5 off of Humble Store or should I wait for the Redux? I was reading some reviews and it seems that LL Redux doesn't really add anything significant, aside from some modes that I would never play.

For Last Light the changes are minimal, and to my mind not really worth it. They've added a few new animations and another gun or something and that's about it.

Buy the $5 dollar one, and be happy.

If you were talking about 2033, that'd be another thing entirely. They've My Fair Lady'd 2033, but essentially just put some sparkle lip gloss on Last Light.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 25, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Drifter posted:

For Last Light the changes are minimal, and to my mind not really worth it. They've added a few new animations and another gun or something and that's about it.

Buy the $5 dollar one, and be happy.

If you were talking about 2033, that'd be another thing entirely. They've My Fair Lady'd 2033, but essentially just put some sparkle lip gloss on Last Light.

They also added a mode to make it more like 2033, for what it's worth. It's not really as impressive as 2033's changes seem to be.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Sivek posted:

Paper Sorcerer is pretty fun if you haven't already tried it. It also works well as a diversion game since it's turn-based and there's more of an emphasis on the quality of encounters than quantity. Random fights can take a while, but each floor only has so many so it doesn't really come off as a grind. Very pick-up and play friendly too since you can save anywhere outside of fights, so it's easy to jump back into.

I would have liked paper sorcerer a lot more if the battles were a bit more snappy. As it was I found myself waiting a lot for interstitial and UI animations when I just wanted to fight quickly.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

RBA Starblade posted:

They also added a mode to make it more like 2033, for what it's worth.

What crappier AI and level design?

Last Light is an improvement in every gameplay way. :colbert:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Drifter posted:

Yes, also more limited resources, slower reloading, harder enemies, and in general more of a "survival horror" feel. Also they made Ranger Mode not obnoxious now in LL. I only got it because I could get both for 25 bucks if I bought 2033 for $4. :v:

At the least I'll be playing both as the other. I've played Metro 2033 on 360 enough to be interested in mixing it up.

e: Oh hey you can pre-load both now. It comes out Tuesday!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 25, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Drifter posted:

Last Light is an improvement in every gameplay way. :colbert:
I think both Reduxes have survival/spartan mode, where Metro is survival and LL is spartan and they let you play one as the other.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Apparently I'm only about 30% of the way through Armageddon. I really don't know if I'll ever be able to beat it. It's just so dark and repetitive (oh another wave of bugs what a surprise) that I just get worn out after an hour or so.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I had the same problem. Alien bugs just arent interesting enemies and dropping a building on them just isnt the same.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

SynthOrange posted:

I had the same problem. Alien bugs just arent interesting enemies and dropping a building on them just isnt the same.

Bystanders: Red Faction's best enemy type.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So this used to be a Steam game before Microsoft killed GFWL Marketplace so I'll ask here: Does anyone have weapons they would be willing to trade for Fable 3? It seems like the game got a lot of hate and I personally love it. Anyways, I need to trade with someone to get The Swinging Sword and/or Scythe's Warhammer. The community is kind of dead/non-existant so I'm hoping there's a goon somewhere with one or both of these weapons in an old save. Thanks!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Anyone here play Oniken? I can't figure out how to hurt the boss at the end of stage 4.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Whoa, nelly.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

treat posted:

Whoa, nelly.

69 dude

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Half of that is just wikipedia tho.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Justin_Brett posted:

Anyone here play Oniken? I can't figure out how to hurt the boss at the end of stage 4.

That's the big skeleton right? You have to jump on his fists and hit his head, just keep in mind you can't stand on the fists while they're punching. It's tricky, stage 4 is by far the hardest part of the game.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

That's the big skeleton right? You have to jump on his fists and hit his head, just keep in mind you can't stand on the fists while they're punching. It's tricky, stage 4 is by far the hardest part of the game.

Ah, I thought it might be something like that. Glad to hear it, that tree section is dicks if you're going for the no death achievement.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Yes, also more limited resources, slower reloading, harder enemies, and in general more of a "survival horror" feel. Also they made Ranger Mode not obnoxious now in LL. I only got it because I could get both for 25 bucks if I bought 2033 for $4. :v:

At the least I'll be playing both as the other. I've played Metro 2033 on 360 enough to be interested in mixing it up.

e: Oh hey you can pre-load both now. It comes out Tuesday!

I've been meaning to go back to Last Light in Ranger mode but what was considered obnoxious about it before the Redux version?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kibayasu posted:

I've been meaning to go back to Last Light in Ranger mode but what was considered obnoxious about it before the Redux version?

I didn't finish it because unlike in 2033 there was no way to really know what it was you actually had. 2033 gave a bunch of context clues and animations and stuff that LL lacked; Redux adds stuff back in instead of just "no hud, good luck". Obnoxious was probably too strong a word but it felt like it missed the point.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't finish it because unlike in 2033 there was no way to really know what it was you actually had. 2033 gave a bunch of context clues and animations and stuff that LL lacked; Redux adds stuff back in instead of just "no hud, good luck". Obnoxious was probably too strong a word but it felt like it missed the point.

So there's a button or something to show you your inventory during Ranger mode in Redux Last Light but not in the original release?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kibayasu posted:

So there's a button or something to show you your inventory in Redux Last Light but not in the original release?

I think they're just adding those animations and actions back in. Like how in 2033 you could look at your journal and see the drugs and knives you had. Though, 2033 also let you see exactly what it was you had when you were in safe areas so they may have put that back too. Or at least that's what I recall reading about it from a few months ago.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

I thought binary domain took itself too seriously mechanics-wise even though it has a silly story. It has a bunch of teammates that you have to be nice to them and not friendly fire by accident or you'll get the bad ending. It only has bland COD guns, which you give tiny boring upgrades like +2 clip size. It also has a really poorly implemented speech recognition system that everyone turns off immediately.

It really pales in comparison to Hard Reset which is similar in a lot of ways, but Hard Reset has an awesome upgrade system that drastically changes how the weapons work, and the enemy variety greatly rewards using the right weapon for the job. Compare to BD which, if I recall correctly, makes you carry the boring-rear end assault rifle and pistol at all times with just one space for a weapon taken off enemies (still just more assault rifles, LMGs HMGs and shotguns though, nothing futuristic).

Basically gently caress Binary Domain, play Hard Reset.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Magic Underwear posted:

As a counterargument: Giant loving robots:

I really need to go back and finish Binary Domain one of these days.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Magic Underwear posted:

:getout:
gently caress Hard Reset, play Binary Domain.

They're two completely different games. Binary Domain has the added bonus of being entertaining alongside the decent shoot-robots-to-pieces-while-they-still-crawl-towards-you gunplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I just finished Bioshock Infinite and jesus christ, it's the first game that has been able to make me angry due to the stupidity of its story.

• Locked thread