Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Has anyone else noticed how hilariously Dzilla is back? And at low level at that. Hit points from Wild Shape are now ablative - which means a second level Druid of the Moon turning into a bear gets more than 30 temporary hit points while hitting like a raging two weapon barbarian. Sure you've no AC to speak of - but neither has the Barbarian...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumpster17
Mar 16, 2013
I'm surprised no one is tackling the big issues with next:
These jump rules aren't really grounded in reality. Anyone with average strength taller than 4'8" should be able to dunk (or at least touch the rim). My verisimilitude!

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

neonchameleon posted:

Has anyone else noticed how hilariously Dzilla is back? And at low level at that. Hit points from Wild Shape are now ablative - which means a second level Druid of the Moon turning into a bear gets more than 30 temporary hit points while hitting like a raging two weapon barbarian. Sure you've no AC to speak of - but neither has the Barbarian...

At level 3 you can combo Barkskin with turning into a Brown Bear to have 16 AC, 34 form HP (24 regular HP underneath) and 2 attacks at +5 for 2d6+4 and 1d8+4.

You can only do it a couple of times a day, though.

In non-bear encounters your best move is to use Shillelagh to wield a d8 quarterstaff in one hand and a shield in the other.

Your spell list is really weak compared to e.g. Wizard, though.

dumpster17 posted:

I'm surprised no one is tackling the big issues with next:
These jump rules aren't really grounded in reality. Anyone with average strength taller than 4'8" should be able to dunk (or at least touch the rim). My verisimilitude!

Jump height is how high off the ground you can get; you can reach a distance equal to the height of your jump + 1.5x your height.

So a 4'8 person with 10 Strength can just barely dunk in a 10 foot hoop.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 24, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Druids get wild shape uses back after any rest, even short.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

slydingdoor posted:

Druids get wild shape uses back after any rest, even short.

My bad. I was actually thinking that at first but somehow when I checked while posting couldn't see it.

At level 9 you can start turning into a Giant Scorpion which is pretty sick. There's nothing good at CR2 so far for level 6-9 though. I guess Polar Bear, but that's a pretty marginal upgrade.

That said I don't think Druid is in the same tier as Wizard even though it basically is as good a Fighter as the Fighter.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 24, 2014

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Jack the Lad posted:

Unfortunately Persistent Rage means your rage ends early only if you choose for it to do so (i.e. not if you can't hit something for a round). It still only lasts 1 minute per use.

Ah drat. Too good to be true, I guess. Ok yeah so frenzy just sucks then.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
QUESTION

Biff the level 3 Warlock casts Armor of Agathys, gaining 5 temp HP and dealing 5 cold damage to anyone that hits him until 5 points are gone. A goblin smacks him for 3 damage. Biff's Fighter buddy, Gronald, uses Rally on Biff, giving him 8 temp HP (which doesn't stack with the three he already has). What happens now? Will getting hit again trigger the Armor? If he gets hit for 5, leaving him with 3, would it trigger again if he gets hit for a third time? Does the Armor's temp HP burn off first or last?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Well, since the trigger is "If a creature hits you with a melee attack while you have these hit points" I'd be inclined to emphasize the "these."

Under Temporary Hitpoints on page 198 of the PHB it says, "If you have temporary hit points and receive more of them, you decide whether to keep the ones you have or to gain the new ones."

Only the "ones you have" from Armor of Agathys cause the cold damage, I'd say.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Sage Genesis posted:

Ah drat. Too good to be true, I guess. Ok yeah so frenzy just sucks then.
Fortunately you don't have to Frenzy every time you rage. Still, the benefit seems small compared to the penalty.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

Fortunately you don't have to Frenzy every time you rage. Still, the benefit seems small compared to the penalty.
Yeah, unless you play in a game where you take a long rest between every battle it seems impractical.

Is there any way to be immune or resistant to exhaustion?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Did I miss something in the PHB, or has poison as a tool for players been nerfed to the point of uselessness? 100 gp for a single vial that can make either 3 ranged attacks, or a minute's worth of melee attacks deal an extra 1d4 damage (while allowing a DC 10 Con save for half damage) seems like an incredibly ineffective use of wealth, even against a unique target that would otherwise justify spending a bit extra on preparation. From what I'm reading, it doesn't even inflict the poisoned condition on the target.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Jack the Lad posted:

My bad. I was actually thinking that at first but somehow when I checked while posting couldn't see it.

At level 9 you can start turning into a Giant Scorpion which is pretty sick. There's nothing good at CR2 so far for level 6-9 though. I guess Polar Bear, but that's a pretty marginal upgrade.

That said I don't think Druid is in the same tier as Wizard even though it basically is as good a Fighter as the Fighter.

They seem straight broken at level 20, though.

A CotM Druid can Wildshape into anything CR6 or below as a bonus action every round as many times per day as they like while casting spells in animal form.

Still not better than a Wizard in terms of pure power, but RAW they are unkillable barring an attack that deals hundreds of damage in one hit.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

They seem straight broken at level 20, though.

A CotM Druid can Wildshape into anything CR6 or below as a bonus action every round as many times per day as they like while casting spells in animal form.

Still not better than a Wizard in terms of pure power, but RAW they are unkillable barring an attack that deals hundreds of damage in one hit.

The only CR6 beast we've seen so far is the Mammoth, which has 126 HP. That plus your basic 143 HP is extremely tough to get through and it's potentially a ton of healing every round, but you can still easily lose to spells, or any status effect that keeps you from shifting. The lich, for instance, is a CR21 monster who casts like a level 18 Wizard.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Jack the Lad posted:

The only CR6 beast we've seen so far is the Mammoth, which has 126 HP. That plus your basic 143 HP is extremely tough to get through and it's potentially a ton of healing every round, but you can still easily lose to spells, or any status effect that keeps you from shifting. The lich, for instance, is a CR21 monster who casts like a level 18 Wizard.

the lich sounds crazy. I hadn't actually really seen any monsters except for the ones listed in the Hoard of the Dragon Queen supplement. seems like anything that casts like a wizard is going to be better than everything but a wizard.

FoliatedFold
Apr 9, 2008

order out of ordered chaos

Agent Boogeyman posted:

The SAforums are the only place I've found that talk about tabletop games like normal, not-broken people.

I concur. Don't under-estimate the power of ruthless moderation to weed out the broken ones.

P.S. I stopped roleplaying (and hanging around here) when I took up a part-time PhD. I am back for a while, especially with 5e coming out.

Serdain
Aug 13, 2007
dicksdicksdicks

So I have been looking at the Berserkian rules and trying to figure out if Frenzy is powerful in some way I can't tell.

It allows you to use a bonus action once per turn to make a melee attack, however, it is only one melee attack per round and it uses your bonus action (which many things seem to give.. polearm master..crossbow expert..etc). In addition, it gives you one level of exhaustion (hard to cure with anything except a long rest).

Does anyone see any issues with houseruling that the frenzied zerk removes one level of exhaustion with a short rest to bring this into line?

*edit*
Further, does anyone else notice any weirdness with the Enlarge/Reduce spell and density?

If you make a halfling human-sized, they weigh 160 kg (50kg more than the outer bound for a heavy human). If you make a Human halfling size, they weigh 10kg (half of your average halfling).

If you cast reduce on a halfling they weigh 2.5 kilos... enough to be picked up by a stiff breeze...

Serdain fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 25, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I think the exhaustion debuffs pretty much just negate the very strong rage buffs one by one, so as long as the barb is raging when they fight while exhausted, they're still treading water. Also their bonus action attack has the biggest die possible, and it's hard to get unless you're fighting popcorn with Great Weapon Master or you get Haste.

DA on ability checks: canceled out at least for strength checks while raging.
Speed halved: somewhat canceled out by fast movement, doesn't matter if mounted.
DA on attack rolls and saves: canceled out for strength based melee attacks by reckless attacking, somewhat negated by immunities while raging.
Hit point maximum halved: somewhat negated by resistance to BPS while raging.
Speed reduced to 0: poo poo, better be mounted.
Death: Reincarnate probably will undo all the exhaustion, reckless attacking cancels out heavy weapon DA for small races.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

slydingdoor posted:

Death: Reincarnate probably will undo all the exhaustion, reckless attacking cancels out heavy weapon DA for small races.
Barbarians can reincarnate themselves?

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Jack the Lad posted:

Especially as it takes a Long Rest to recover from the effects of each and every individual level of Exhaustion.
Does this mean that a long rest will let you recover from death?

Now we need to recalculate max skeletons because they will self-resurrect if the necromancer takes a long rest to recover spell slots.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

Barbarians can reincarnate themselves?

Have you ever gotten so mad you died and then reincarnated as a... :rolldice: stout halfling?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Nah, friendly Druid could Reincarnate the barb though.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Undead are immune to exhaustion. Clearly we just need to figure out a way to play a skeletal barbarian.

Serdain
Aug 13, 2007
dicksdicksdicks

Serdain posted:

If you cast reduce on a halfling they weigh 2.5 kilos... enough to be picked up by a stiff breeze...

Thinking further on this... are magic items similar to 3.5 where it was Belt/Ring/Hat of Magical Effect?

Could you have a Belt of Enlarge and a Belt of Reduce and wear both at once.. then rip off your belt of reduce to become huge (and dense) as hell, or the other way around?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

slydingdoor posted:

Nah, friendly Druid could Reincarnate the barb though.
The fact that you have to die and be reincarnated in order to solve the problem of exhaustion in a timely manner greatly amuses me. If I were playing a barb in a game with a druid I would ask my DM to houserule it so that Frenzy kills me after every battle, so I can cycle through several different bodies per day.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 25, 2014

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

So in the interest of "fixing" or at least "spicing up" fighters, I'd like to compile a list of abilities available to fighters. These could be available at certain levels (like a fighter version of spells?) or just available like feats for a fighter to pick and choose. For example:

Battle Sense: You are an expert at analyzing the weaknesses of your enemies. Starting at third level, you may select one target during an encounter. Any attacks you make against that target have a +3 to hit and deal an extra 1d8 damage.
3rd level: 3/day
10th level: 5/day
20th level 10/day

Dismember: You were told to disarm the enemy. Make an attack against one creature of Medium or smaller size and declare a location that you will be targeting. Arm/leg: -2 to hit. Head: -5 to hit. On a successful hit, deal weapon damage and sever target limb.
7th level: Targeting the head is only a -3 to hit

Hamstring: An immobilized creature is a dead one. Starting at 5th level, you may use an attack to hamstring a creature of Large or greater size. Target creature must pass a CON save with a DC equal to 8 + Half your total fighter levels or be immobilized for ten minutes.
11th level: Target is immobilized for twenty minutes on a failed save
20th level: Target is immobilized for twenty minutes and suffers an extra 1d10 damage

This is still in the realm of "houserules" but I figure it'd be a fun thing to offer a player of mine who chose fighter for our upcoming 5e campaign. Any other goons feel like spitballing some ideas with me?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

ritorix posted:

Undead are immune to exhaustion. Clearly we just need to figure out a way to play a skeletal barbarian.

Wouldn't a Vampire Barbarian be easier to arrange? :v:

(No idea if they get that immunity, but they *are* undead :colbert:)

e: That Dismember skill, does that mean you can decapitate a Lich in one hit? That would probably not kill it but... well, I could see it ending a whole lot of boss battles against normal sized enemies pretty quickly.

Does 5E still have the Mook-Squadron rules from 4e? Swarm of effectively 1HP dudes? Could have a class power that makes any "surplus" damage a fighter does (could go for monk & the barbarian too) spill over against other nearby mook-level enemies (goblins and the like) and at higher level any "wasted" spill-over damage can be assigned to any nearby enemy regardless of stature. At really high level the spill-over is doubled from its base, or lets you do a free "dismember" against another nearby foe :black101:

Basically give the martial classes some ways to 1) Kill lots of lower level threats, like a AoE fireball would except more choppy' involved and 2) Let them get a conga line of murderin' going (as long as their good rolls hold out). Preferably by involving the basic attacks in some way so those powers are automatically balanced versus just standing there and doing basics.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 25, 2014

Serdain
Aug 13, 2007
dicksdicksdicks

I would have thought it would make sense to give Barbs a class feature to ignore fatigue effects until death..and then after death they're so angry their skeleton leaps out and keeps going.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.
I'm still of the opinion that Battle Master maneuvers should be something available to all martial classes without needing a Feat dip. Problem is I don't know how I would spice up Battle Masters themselves, besides making Superiority Dice less crap.

And am I the only one who thinks the Champion Fighter features should be core for Fighters?

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Glukeose posted:

Dismember: You were told to disarm the enemy. Make an attack against one creature of Medium or smaller size and declare a location that you will be targeting. Arm/leg: -2 to hit. Head: -5 to hit. On a successful hit, deal weapon damage and sever target limb.
I take his weapons away from him. Both of them.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Pimpmust posted:

Wouldn't a Vampire Barbarian be easier to arrange? :v:

(No idea if they get that immunity, but they *are* undead :colbert:)

e: That Dismember skill, does that mean you can decapitate a Lich in one hit? That would probably not kill it but... well, I could see it ending a whole lot of boss battles against normal sized enemies pretty quickly.

Does 5E still have the Mook-Squadron rules from 4e? Swarm of effectively 1HP dudes? Could have a class power that makes any "surplus" damage a fighter does (could go for monk & the barbarian too) spill over against other nearby mook-level enemies (goblins and the like) and at higher level any "wasted" spill-over damage can be assigned to any nearby enemy regardless of stature. At really high level the spill-over is doubled from its base, or lets you do a free "dismember" against another nearby foe :black101:

5e has done away with minion rules, but that doesn't mean I won't have creatures fight the party that have 1hp as a tarpit for actual dangerous enemies. In the interest of preventing 1HKOs on end-boss level enemies, perhaps have Dismember only work on creatures with a CR equal to or less than your level? Or gently caress it, the fighter can Decapitate the Lich just like the Wizard can Sleep it.

Your suggestion also gave me a bit of inspiration:

Demoralizing strike: When you reduce a creature to 0hp, any excess damage you deal can instead be inflicted on a creature of your choosing within 20ft.
5th: If you overkill a creature by at least 5 damage, up to two creatures within 20 feet must pass a CHA save equal to 8+half your fighter levels or suffer disadvantage on their next attack roll.

You've Got My Attention: Reaction. When an enemy deals damage to you, you turn your attention to them. The creature must pass a WIS save equal to 8+STR mod+Half your fighter levels or suffer disadvantage on their next attack roll. You gain +2 to hit target creature.

Heroic Boast: When combat begins, you may declare a boast. Should you succeed at the terms of your boast, you reap the benefits.
Warrior's Boast: Should you deal at least 12 damage in a single attack, deal an additional 1d4 damage on all attacks for the remainder of your current encounter
Headtaker's Boast: If you land the killing blow on at least 4 creatures of Medium size or smaller in a single encounter, choose one creature of medium or smaller size within 10ft of equal or lesser CR to your total number of fighter levels. That creature is reduced to 0hp.
Giantslayer's Boast: Should you land the killing blow on a creature of Large size or greater, gain a free healing surge and an additional 1d6 damage on future attack rolls for 1 hour
Duelist's Boast: Should you survive an encounter without taking damage, gain +2 AC for the next 10 hours.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Glukeose posted:

So in the interest of "fixing" or at least "spicing up" fighters, I'd like to compile a list of abilities available to fighters. These could be available at certain levels (like a fighter version of spells?) or just available like feats for a fighter to pick and choose. For example:

Battle Sense: You are an expert at analyzing the weaknesses of your enemies. Starting at third level, you may select one target during an encounter. Any attacks you make against that target have a +3 to hit and deal an extra 1d8 damage.
3rd level: 3/day
10th level: 5/day
20th level 10/day

Hamstring: An immobilized creature is a dead one. Starting at 5th level, you may use an attack to hamstring a creature of Large or greater size. Target creature must pass a CON save with a DC equal to 8 + Half your total fighter levels or be immobilized for ten minutes.
11th level: Target is immobilized for twenty minutes on a failed save
20th level: Target is immobilized for twenty minutes and suffers an extra 1d10 damage

This is still in the realm of "houserules" but I figure it'd be a fun thing to offer a player of mine who chose fighter for our upcoming 5e campaign. Any other goons feel like spitballing some ideas with me?

How about some things like:

Parry - When dual wielding, enemies reduce their attack bonuses against you by you dexterity modifier.

Bash - If you are wielding a shield and an enemy attacks you and misses you, make an attack roll against them. If you succeed, they are pushed back one square and gain disadvantage on their next action or until the start of your next turn, whichever comes first.

Warlord - Roll initiative twice. You act at each initiative step. This does not let you make additional attacks actions per round. (the intent is to get two movements and two bonus actions per round. they should be able to get a bonus attack IF that attack takes place as a bonus action)

Prepared - In the first round of combat, all party members including yourself act in a surprise round with advantage.

Follow My Lead - All party members excluding yourself gain advantage against an enemy you deal damage to until the start of your next turn.

Hack and Slash - All successive attacks against a single enemy on a single turn deal a cumulative +2 damage.

Regroup! - On a turn in which you use this power, you lose all attack and bonus actions. All party members including yourself gain freedom of movement until the start of your next tun.

I don't know, just some ideas. I like the idea of the fighter being a specialist and commander that gets unique abilities based on what he wields and also buffs allies is a useful way.

opulent fountain fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 25, 2014

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
You know what would give you a lot of space for giving fighters interesting things to do? Increasing turn length. Since turns are six seconds long, any standard action power you give to a martial character has to be something you can easily imagine someone doing in six seconds.

But what if combat turns were, as in old school D&D, something like a minute of time? Well, maybe a fireball takes that long to cast, but in that same time a fighter could storm around slaying everyone in a twenty foot radius, or whatever.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ferrinus posted:

You know what would give you a lot of space for giving fighters interesting things to do? Increasing turn length. Since turns are six seconds long, any standard action power you give to a martial character has to be something you can easily imagine someone doing in six seconds.

But what if combat turns were, as in old school D&D, something like a minute of time? Well, maybe a fireball takes that long to cast, but in that same time a fighter could storm around slaying everyone in a twenty foot radius, or whatever.

The designers could maybe do 15 pushups in a minute, I'm not sure this would really change much

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So we tried the 5th ed starter set today. Kept things vanilla, despite some people wanting to make there own characters, so we could see how WoTc thought the game shoul be.
We all had a really great time. We did the adventure with only 4 of the 5 characters being used, and we had one player drop due to early work shift and someone else step it, it all still went incredibly smoothly. Everyone had a really fun time and we plan to run with 5 people and start playing weekly to get through the starter while I make a set of follow up adventures for new characters.
I was nervous as hell as I haven't GM'd in something like 10+ years but hot drat, glad everyone had a great time.

Stars from today were the Cleric, healing and inflict wound + hammer smashing, and the Rogue. Stabby stabby good times

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

That worked just fine in AD&D. Only problem was that lots of people couldn't accept "making one sword swing per minute" as realistic despite the book being unsurprisingly wordy about why it's set up like that. Actually, that section also touches on abstract hitpoints. It's kinda cool how the weird rambling parts of the AD&D DMG are sometimes insights in to why things were originally done like that.

Page 61 of the AD&D DMG, if you're interested in looking at it. My favorite line is "So while a round of combat is not a continuous series of attacks, it is neither just a single blow and counter-blow affair".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 25, 2014

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Tried out the 5e basic rules yesterday - we had about six encounters and levelled up twice, so we got to see what the game was like at levels 1, 2 and 3. I'll review what we got to see.

I found the game pretty simple to write for and DM - I just came up with a basic plotline (merchant the players are guarding stages his own kidnapping and ransom with the help of his necromancer brother) then picked a monster or NPC type and threw in as many as were required to get the challenge rating of the party. I threw in a magic item per level as well.

The game runs pretty fast. The fighter and rogue in particular - though at level 1 they have little to do but pick a target and attack it, they were having fun anyway. The fighter leapt off a cart to attack a bandit so he got advantage on that attack, and later tried to intimidate a bandit into surrendering, but rolled so poorly the guy didn't believe he'd survive if he did surrender, so fought to the death instead.

The cleric and wizard players were a bit uncertain about the DM rolling their attack dice when they took certain actions (EG: Cantrips that make an enemy roll a save or take damage) and were a bit bored by just spamming the same cantrips over and over.

Players pretty much hated the "hit dice" mechanic. They didn't like having the potential to roll poorly on hitdice while resting and then having to choose between "going into the next encounter gimped" or resting for a full six hours. Short rests also seemed too long - when pursuing somebody (like a fleeing merchant) you don't want to wait an entire hour to catch him up. Five minutes (as in 4e) might be reasonable, but a whole hour doesn't.

Here are the things I got to see while DMing the game:

-----

I found the bandit NPC to be a reasonable CR 1/8 monster. They're numerous and have the potential to do a lot of damage if the rolls go their way as a result, but AC 11 and low hitpoints should mean they go down fast.

Orcs were OK as well at CR 1/2 - lots of HP and one managed to whack the fighter for most of his HP in one go. However, since the party outnumbered them two to one they weren't much trouble.

Skeletons pretty much evaporated when the fighter hit them with his maul (they're vulnerable to bludgeoning damage). Bludgeoning supremacy? In earlier games bludgeoning weapons generally had lower damage to make up for their occasional superiority against certain monsters. In this, I'm not sure why you'd pick the great axe when you could have the maul, especially at low levels where skeletons are likely to be fairly common.

The party were able to put down an Allosaurus at level 2 without much trouble at all.

The party had a very tough encounter against four Flying Swords and an Animated Armour when they were at level 2. The Flying Swords were the problem - they have AC 17 which is very high for such low-CR monsters (they're CR 1/4) and 17 HP, which isn't bad either. Couple that with an extremely high dexterity save and 10 squares of movement and you've got a potential party-killer.

The last encounter was against the necromancer himself - who revealed his true form, a flaming zombie breathing fire (a reskinned hell hound). This monster seems the epitome of "swingy". Basically he has a fairly uninteresting "bite" attack which he never managed to hit with in the encounter. He also has a fire-breath attack which is a 15-foot cone doing an average of 21 damage on a failed save, half that on a passed one, which is tons at level 3. The encounter started with him breathing fire on the entire party, bringing half of them to zero HP. Luckily the cleric was able to bring them back up to 5 HP on her turn with a class feature, and the party then wisely spread out so the necromancer was only able to breathe on two of them the other time he got to do it, but I could easily imagine a game where the hell hound gets lucky on recharge rolls, gets to do fire breath every round, and wipes the party. Or rolls well on the damage for it and incapacitates the party healer on turn 1, effectively wiping the party.

The magic items I gave out were the Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Ring of Fire Resistance, a +1 sword and some +1 leather armour. None of them really affected the game a great deal - the Gauntlets went to the fighter, setting his strength to 19. It was already 16, though, so it was just a +1 to hit and damage upgrade really. +1 stuff was nice but uninteresting. I could see the Ring of Fire Resistance being very useful in general, however - fire damage tends to be commonplace. The necromancer dropped it, so it didn't help in the encounter against him.

-----

How the players felt:

I think the player that enjoyed themselves most was the rogue. The player liked coming up with ways to hide (running round a corner to break line of sight, rolling stealth, running back and backstabbing someone, or hiding out in some mushrooms, rolling stealth and sniping people with advantage - I think I read the stealth rules right and this is how it's meant to work) and the "cunning action" class feature gives the rogue some nice extra mobility and a bit of extra stuff to do each round.

The fighter had a decent time - he enjoyed how quick the game went and rolling big numbers occasionally, and the devil-may-care attitude his high HP and AC allowed him to have. Action Surge was good, but he could only do it once per rest, which was a shame. Something similar to "cunning action" for the rogue might have been nice, so the fighter had a little more to do each turn.

The wizard player had a lot of book-keeping to do and the game often slowed when it came to her turn, especially when it came to second-level spells which I hadn't printed off cards for, meaning she had to look them up in the PDF on a tablet. Several times we had to look over the wording of a spell as a group. Sometimes her spells were a bit of a letdown, like when she cast Sleep, affecting half an encounter of monsters, and then the other half had their turn and immediately woke the other half up, or when she cast Sleep and rolled so low that nobody was affected by it.

The cleric probably had the least fun and was certainly the most critical of the game. Early on she disliked the hit dice mechanic for healing - she rolled a 1 on her D8 to heal and was very disgruntled about having to go into the second fight with most of her HP missing. Later on she basically hated being a healbot - saying that she had a lot of interesting ways she could spend her spell slots but couldn't do so since they were needed for healing the party. I countered by saying that if she was to use her spells to take out an enemy quicker, she wouldn't have to do as much healing afterwards, but she replied that if she was to blow one of her few slots attacking an enemy and it then made its save or she missed the attack, she was basically screwing over the party, which is a fair point.

-----

So, overall we did have fun with the game - it was easy to DM, it ran fast most of the time - one of the faster systems I've played except when spellcasting came up, and it will presumably have the usual D&D advantage of having tons of "stuff" - lots of monsters, classes, spells and so on to pick from.

Where I felt the game fell down was in the healing mechanics and the monster design. Some monsters were cakewalks. Some monsters seemed very tough - eight Flying Swords could easily have murdered the party at level 2, and a Hell Hound rolling well on recharges could do the same at level 3. The healing mechanics basically require you to have a "healer character" in the party who devotes many of their spells and actions to healing, which means they do little but heal people and make basic attacks or cast cantrips.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to DM it again, some of the players might rebel.

Gort fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Aug 25, 2014

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
Also there was some question earlier about group stealth rolls and how they affect surprise rounds. Rules suggest (and how our group ran it) that if players have the surprise advantage on unaware enemies, players whose stealth rolls beat the enemy passive perception get to act during the surprise round.

That way if your rogue scouts ahead, spots enemies, comes back and they decide to rush in and ambush them, the fact that your whole party rolled terribly (minus the rogue) doesn't mean your rogue is screwed.

Also for making stealth checks, how often do people tend to require it? Like the rogue enters the cave and rolls a 24 stealth check. Awesome they're invisible to most everything. So how long before they need to make another? I'm still pretty new to DM'ing and i've been winging it a little bit, usually having players make new stealth checks whenever they 'pause' to converse about how to proceed.

Edit: obviously if the rogue walks into an open pool of bright light or something similar in the cave their concealment is gone, but generally let's assume that it's dark most everywhere in the cave

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I usually just have them roll for each group of NPCs they're sneaking up on. No need for a stealth roll if there's nobody there to hear them, after all.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Here's how not to do it: my character was trying to sneak through the outskirts of a crowd unseen. Not necessarily totally hidden, but without drawing any unnecessary attention to herself. The DM decided that every single member of the crowd gets a perception check.

The crowd had a couple hundred people in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Rosalind posted:

Here's how not to do it: my character was trying to sneak through the outskirts of a crowd unseen. Not necessarily totally hidden, but without drawing any unnecessary attention to herself. The DM decided that every single member of the crowd gets a perception check.

The crowd had a couple hundred people in it.

:wtc:
Please tell me they learned their lesson and gave up after about 10 rolls or so?