Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

After gestating on the song for a while, he's decided he really doesn't like it as a song on HM, and he doesn't really see where it would fit in a live set. It was originally just supposed to be a bonus track on a Greatest Hits CD anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I like Everything. I'm that guy. It kind of sounds like NIN doing Flaming Lips.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

echronorian posted:

I like Everything. I'm that guy.

I think its a good song too! I think it is however out of place on the album it's a part of, it probably should have been a B-side to Came Back Haunted or it's own promo or something.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah I don't mind the song, but it's definitely out of place, and if Trent acknowledges that himself, why even put it on HM?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
How do you figure its out of place? The songs it's nestled between aren't exactly dark. Everything is darker than Satellite I'd say, though maybe not as menacing?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Everything is awesome. I would miss it if it weren't on HM.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I thought it fit in really well on HM really.

Also, what is the source on Trent saying he doesn't really like the song anymore? edit: nevermind. found it I think.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 22, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Just saw this again and couldn't help but laugh my rear end off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaWe_4AaH8Y

I'll probably add it to the OP.

Are they just trying to disown that song? It's been a year since Hesitation Marks came out, they've played tons of shows since then and they've played pretty much every song from Hesitation Marks live except that one. I can't imagine it's because it's hard to play because it seems like it'd be easier to do live than some of the songs they've been doing live for the past year.

It'd probably be jarring as gently caress to hear that in one of their live sets, though.

Honestly the first time I heard it was when I was listening to the album at work, I was like "Wait, this is Nine Inch Nails? This isn't Nine Inch Nails, something is wrong." Then I got to 0:33 and the guitar kicks in and holy poo poo that was the loudest thing ever. It was like an auditory punch in the dick. "Oh, there's the Nine Inch Nails."

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Just saw this again and couldn't help but laugh my rear end off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaWe_4AaH8Y

I'll probably add it to the OP.

Are they just trying to disown that song? It's been a year since Hesitation Marks came out, they've played tons of shows since then and they've played pretty much every song from Hesitation Marks live except that one. I can't imagine it's because it's hard to play because it seems like it'd be easier to do live than some of the songs they've been doing live for the past year.

It'd probably be jarring as gently caress to hear that in one of their live sets, though.

quote:

"There were a few moments of this album where I expected eyebrows to raise," Reznor says. "But that actually was not one of them. To me, 'Everything' is a descendant of Fear and Joy Division and New Order. Somehow, that song has become representative of this as my 'happy album,' although I don't hear it as such. It's certainly not meant to make you feel like, 'Look at how great everything is!' But it seems to be the shocking moment of the record. We've not played it onstage, only in rehearsals. It's become an irritant to me."[4]

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I legit feel that "Everything" is the best song on the album. (Well, either that or "In Two".) It feels fresh, energetic, and challenging, whereas the rest of the album is good but very much in line with my expectations for what NIN sounds like. I don't always think "different" is good by default, but in this case it is.

It's one of the only songs from the album that I almost never skip when it comes up.

EDIT: Well, "Copy of a" is really good too.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 22, 2014

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
If you asked me what the worst song NIN ever released was, I'd have to think long and hard about whether the answer is 'Everything', or that 14 minute thing that's supposed to be 'Me, I'm Not' on Year Zero Remixed.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
It's like ya'll forget half of Pretty Hate Machine. (You should)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

echronorian posted:

Trent Reznor posted:

How could you turn me into this?
After you just taught me how to kiss.................you.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

echronorian posted:

i find it funny that his 4 best songs he wrote on that thing were all just cobbled together last minute.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

GuavaMoment posted:

If you asked me what the worst song NIN ever released was, I'd have to think long and hard about whether the answer is 'Everything', or that 14 minute thing that's supposed to be 'Me, I'm Not' on Year Zero Remixed.

It seems everyone has their own opinion. I happen to love that Olof Dreijer remix (I am a big fan of The Knife, so go figure).

The absolute worst for me is from the same remix album, the Epworth Phones remix of Capigal G. It's so loving dumb.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

On the topics of Everything and remixes, the Autolux remix of Everything is still hilarious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1GWEUEU-pQ

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Well, I love that remix, and I find myself humming it from time to time. I don't understand why people dislike it so much.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fors Yard posted:

Well, I love that remix, and I find myself humming it from time to time. I don't understand why people dislike it so much.
The vocals in that remix nearly bring a tear to my eye from laughing so hard every single time I think about them, which happens every so often.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Hesitation Marks would have been a million times better if he just cut all the songs before Everything and included Copy Of A/All Time Low as b-sides.

Everything is such an amazing song and it sucks how he'll probably avoid that style in the future.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

imo Came Back Haunted is by far the worst song on Hesitation Marks, I really don't get why Everything is the one people freak out about

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Call Me Charlie posted:

Everything is such an amazing song and it sucks how he'll probably avoid that style in the future.

While I don't think it's a "bad" song, it just doesn't sound dark or unique. You could easily replace it with any Top-40 pop-rocker singing it and who would know it was even an nin song. Also:

http://youtu.be/xaWe_4AaH8Y

When you have fan videos of the song with Pikachu, Kermit The Frog, and puppy dogs, and it works...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Cleaner posted:

While I don't think it's a "bad" song, it just doesn't sound dark or unique. You could easily replace it with any Top-40 pop-rocker singing it and who would know it was even an nin song. Also:

When you have fan videos of the song with Pikachu, Kermit The Frog, and puppy dogs, and it works...

Maybe if you don't actually listen to the lyrics at all.

E: Which, this being NIN, isn't the worst idea, actually.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Earwicker posted:

imo Came Back Haunted is by far the worst song on Hesitation Marks, I really don't get why Everything is the one people freak out about
Came Back Haunted sounds like a NIN song, though, and since it came out (even before the album did), it's become my loving jam.

HAW HAW HAWNTED

It's infectious. It's great live too, and the video for it is awesome. Really, it has a lot more going for it than Everything. I like Everything but not nearly as much as Came Back Haunted, and it's not even close to being one of my favorite NIN songs.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I feel really weird because I love almost every single thing NIN has ever done without reservation (I've even come around a lot on With Teeth and The Slip), but I loving hate most of Hesitation Marks. Everything is pretty much the only song I'm not bored to tears by; it feels like a cargo-cult imitation of NIN rather than an actual NIN album.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The Cleaner posted:

The idea that it's a "top-40 pop rock" song is dumb, but even then, is that not what Head Like A Hole and Closer were? It's the brightest song on the album, but that doesn't make it poppy, especially with the guitar mess that is the chorus. It's supposed to sound light until you actually pay attention to it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I never got what people were hearing when they say everything just sounds like a generic pop song. I mean, yeah the verse sounds like that, but then it explodes into a bunch of industrial noise and chaos in the chorus that fights against the poppiness of the song. It's a song where he manages the mix the topic of the song with the song itself. It's a song where he tries to pretend that everything is great and amazing but can't hide the chaos and pain within. If that's what pop radio is like, I probably should start paying attention to that.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

The Cleaner posted:

I don't know, if I heard that wall of sound dissonant guitars thing in a top 40 pop rocker song, I'd be pretty surprised. That and the ending are trademark NIN.

The first part of the album dragged the whole album down for me. Eater Of Dreams is whatever. Copy Of A is a great live song. Came Back Haunted is embarrassing. I felt embarrassed for him every time I saw it as the lead song on every live TV appearance he made. Find My Way, boring. All Time Low, Manson demo track. Disappointed, boring.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I disagree and find at least All Time Low and Disappointed to be pretty great. Came Back Haunted is a silly song but, I dunno, it scratches that dumb NIN song itch for me pretty well.

Find My Way is my least favorite song on the album though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Trent's falsetto crooning in Find My Way loving owns. That "Ahhhhhhhh ohhhhhhhh OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO".

...unless that's a synth doing that last part :stare:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

axleblaze posted:

I disagree and find at least All Time Low and Disappointed to be pretty great.

Don't get me wrong. I like All Time Low but the whole time I'm listening to it, I'm can't stop thinking 'this is a song written for Manson. why isn't Manson singing'. It's kinda like when you hear the Prince demo of Manic Monday. It's good but, even though he's the guy who created the song, you can't help feeling like the vocals are off.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

All Time Low is really great and one of the biggest cases for why Pino Palladino should play bass for NIN all the time. That and the new live version of Sanctified.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

I don't know, if I heard that wall of sound dissonant guitars thing in a top 40 pop rocker song, I'd be pretty surprised. That and the ending are trademark NIN.

The first part of the album dragged the whole album down for me. Eater Of Dreams is whatever. Copy Of A is a great live song. Came Back Haunted is embarrassing. I felt embarrassed for him every time I saw it as the lead song on every live TV appearance he made. Find My Way, boring. All Time Low, Manson demo track. Disappointed, boring.

You and me have complete opposite opinions on this album. I think the first half is pretty good way to kick off the album. The weakest song for me is probably like In Two but only because it's a bit different from the rest of the songs (still great I think). I love copy of a, find my way and all time low.

E: also I never really listened to Manson at all save for like some songs off antichrist superstar, so I can't see the Manson comparison at all on all time low. It just a good funk jam dude.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
All Time Low is an odd one. I loved it when I first heard it, but on subsequent listens I've felt that it lacks something, possibly in the production. I feel like it doesn't sound as "meaty" as it should. Sort of like the last Muse album.

Also he disses "Everything" in the second chorus!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Saw the show last night in Mountain View from the 11th row. My second time seeing NIN and they killed it again.

It was my first time seeing Soundgarden, even though I've wanted to for years. They knocked it out of the park too. I loved how they only played 1 song off their new album and the rest was old material.

It was well worth getting home at 3am and having to get up at 6am for work this morning.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

All Time Low is an odd one. I loved it when I first heard it, but on subsequent listens I've felt that it lacks something, possibly in the production. I feel like it doesn't sound as "meaty" as it should. Sort of like the last Muse album.

I never liked it. The chorus and that repetitive kick slow the song down badly. It loses all momentum and sounds lazy.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Half the Everything supporters claim it sounds nothing like a pop-rock song. The other half state it is purposely a pop-rock song which ties into the lyrical gimmick.

You freaks can't even get your story straight.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

The Cleaner posted:

Half the Everything supporters claim it sounds nothing like a pop-rock song. The other half state it is purposely a pop-rock song which ties into the lyrical gimmick.

It sounds like both, actually. Also, All of NIN music is pop music.

EDIT: The real debate to have is whether NIN is pop music or not, I guess.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 25, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The Cleaner posted:

That's because it's both. It's a pop/rock song that when the chorus comes around gets overwhelmed by NIN style noise that overtakes the poppiness. It's both a song that sounds like a pop-rock song but also does tings that no pop-rock song really would do.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
just click it ok http://youtu.be/RbnN6QmdrH4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I like what All Time Low is trying to be but it sounds like the timing of some of the parts just doesn't work, particularly Adrian Belew's part it feels like it is played too slowly or something