Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

angryhampster posted:

Happy birthday man! Are you big on birthdays, or just like to chill? My wife makes a HUGE deal of out her birthday, and tries to do so with mine. I just want to relax and have some beers....maybe some karaoke if I'm feeling crazy.

Thanks! :shobon:

I don't really go huge for them. Last night we had a combined birthday thing at my friends place and just had a bunch of people sitting by the pool drinking all night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Guy wearing socks with Birkenstocks and a wide-brimmed REI adventure hat approaches the Miata in my local hippie grocery store parking lot while I'm buckling up to leave:

"Hey, what kind of mileage do you get in that little car? I bet it's not very good."

"85 miles per gallon - the best part is it runs on liquid runoff from compost. I tend to do better with kale and carrots."

"Woah, really man? I think I read about those things in Mother Jones!"

"Yeah I wanted to get the compost/battery hybrid but it would mean I'd have to drive everywhere at half the speed limit and merge onto the freeway at 45."

*face sours* "Hey...do you think..."

"Namaste, have a blessed day."

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

blk posted:

"Hey, what kind of mileage do you get"
I used to go with "Eh, I can usually keep it to 10mpg. Fuel economy is for poor people to worry about." :munch:

Now I drive an electric car and people keep saying "Wow, you must save a fortune!" or "Oh, I could never use one of those for my driving". Neither of which is true.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 24, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Now I drive an electric car and people keep saying "Wow, you must save a fortune!" or "Oh, I could never use one of those for my driving". Neither of which is true.

I'd ask you if you can pop a burnout for me because zero rpm torque yessss.

I really should have figured out what Italian is for "do a burnout" because the Twizy owners in Rome didn't figure it out from my (presumably ISO-standard) hand gesture.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'd ask you if you can pop a burnout for me because zero rpm torque yessss.

I really should have figured out what Italian is for "do a burnout" because the Twizy owners in Rome didn't figure it out from my (presumably ISO-standard) hand gesture.
Well, my EV is a Zoe, and if the Twizy has similar control architecture, they may have difficulty. They've very obviously included a controlled ramp-up of output if you floor the throttle from rest, to avoid such shenanigans, in addition to the (seemingly non-disableable) traction control. You can light up the tyres a little under the right conditions, but you most definitely get a :nyd: once it realises what's up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ended up with a 2014 Corolla, fully loaded as our rental for the weekend. Total cost for Friday-Sunday with fuel was only $122. In comparison it cost me roughly $120 to take the MS6 up two years ago. I do believe I will always be renting cars for road trips from now on. My only complaint about the Corolla was the tires. The car felt odd at higher speeds, somewhat floaty. Otherwise I loved it and am pushing the lady towards one as she loved driving it as well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Well, my EV is a Zoe, and if the Twizy has similar control architecture, they may have difficulty. They've very obviously included a controlled ramp-up of output if you floor the throttle from rest, to avoid such shenanigans, in addition to the (seemingly non-disableable) traction control. You can light up the tyres a little under the right conditions, but you most definitely get a :nyd: once it realises what's up.

The cool thing about electric cars is that now turning a boring commuter car into a tire-boiling machine of death is as simple as replacing the motor controller. I give it maybe two years of electric cars being in wide use before the governments of the world clamp down hard on it.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Spent a bit of time on the Audi V8q today. I hooked up a timing light and went around the different plug wires, some would get the light to consistently flash, others not at all, and most were something inbetween. I tried swapping out the coils, dist caps and rotors, but no change. I can't make her run right or get any change out of it at all going that direction. I think it must be a sensor issue. Perhaps a cam or crank position sensor? Oh, and it's 100 degrees out so I've lost a small child's worth of weight in water, ugh.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
If its a distributor driven ignition... When's the last time the cap and rotor as done? If they are new I would suspect either an ignition module or the actual distributor itself.

I think the cam/crank sensor is more related the fuel injection system or timing - giving it the ability to advance and retard - if the system is able to do so.

If your not getting consistent spark that would lead me to believe that there's an actual issue in the distributor or ignition module - if Audi has one that is. I know most cars of that era do, but you know... Quattro :v:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
It has two distributors, one on each side. Two of the leads from each side crosses over to run plugs on the opposite side of the engine. I replaced caps and rotors today, plus one of the coils. It's not changed behavior at all.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

trouser chili posted:

It has two distributors, one on each side. Two of the leads from each side crosses over to run plugs on the opposite side of the engine. I replaced caps and rotors today, plus one of the coils. It's not changed behavior at all.

I guess you did check the wires to right? Last guess would be the ignition module or a sensor. Are the distributors vacuum advance?

Edit: have you ran a compression check?

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 25, 2014

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Ended up with a 2014 Corolla, fully loaded as our rental for the weekend.

My Fusion turned into a closest available model Impala LTZ or whatever. The dash/controls are all terrible but I have managed a couple of good burnouts on both pavement and grassy medians.

No Hawaii trip is compete without getting yelled at by native locals in a lifted brotruck Tacoma, as you drift angrily thru your third grassy shoulder UTurn in as many minutes. Never make the mistake of letting your girlfriend navigate.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

My Fusion turned into a closest available model Impala LTZ or whatever. The dash/controls are all terrible but I have managed a couple of good burnouts on both pavement and grassy medians.

No Hawaii trip is compete without getting yelled at by native locals in a lifted brotruck Tacoma, as you drift angrily thru your third grassy shoulder UTurn in as many minutes. Never make the mistake of letting your girlfriend navigate.

I'd have strangled the dude at the counter if I'd had to take a Versa. I loved the Corolla.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I guess you did check the wires to right? Last guess would be the ignition module or a sensor. Are the distributors vacuum advance?

Edit: have you ran a compression check?

There were two wires I wasn't sure I got on the dist correctly or not on the driver's dist, but changing them didn't change anything. Still got no and/or erratic spark on certain cylinders based on timing light test. The issue seems more centered on the driver's side coil, as disconnecting it doesn't change the way the engine runs. Disconnecting the passenger coil means it won't start or run at all.

Whatever the problem is, it's something that can suddenly reverse itself transiently. The engine started running like poo with a hard right turn in RallyX. Then it seemed to clear up until the next run during the same hard right turn. Then it never came back the second time.

I've not run a compression test, it's an ignition problem I'm sure of that. I just don't know what's behind it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The cool thing about electric cars is that now turning a boring commuter car into a tire-boiling machine of death is as simple as replacing the motor controller. I give it maybe two years of electric cars being in wide use before the governments of the world clamp down hard on it.

Why the gently caress would you think that? It's been illegal to modify cars in the EU since 1996 without registering them as modified cars, which in some EU states is next to impossible (luckily Sweden has one of the better rule books on this), but they still sell fart cans and performance chips all over Europe without intervention from anyone.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

It's been illegal to modify cars in the EU since 1996 without registering them as modified cars

Is that for the children, or to prevent terrorism?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

It protects the gay baby whales for Jesus.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Why the gently caress would you think that? It's been illegal to modify cars in the EU since 1996 without registering them as modified cars, which in some EU states is next to impossible (luckily Sweden has one of the better rule books on this), but they still sell fart cans and performance chips all over Europe without intervention from anyone.

Are you familiar with the modifying laws in Asian countries? I think I saw a Jackie Chan film once where police impounded cars just for having locking hood pins and it's always made me wonder what the actual laws are there.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

When I was in Japan it was pretty much a free for all with street drag races and doriftu contests on weekends with cars modded out the rear end. That was in the early 90's though not sure if it has changed

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

When I was in Japan it was pretty much a free for all with street drag races and doriftu contests on weekends with cars modded out the rear end. That was in the early 90's though not sure if it has changed

Tokyo Drift taught me that do not care in modern times either.

Edit: Also it is taking some serious self control to not be an rear end in the AI Marketplace thread.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 25, 2014

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

kastein posted:

Is that for the children, or to prevent terrorism?

It's because modifications invalidate the type approval, and that makes the car illegal to use on public roads until the changes are approved as safe, and your vehicle is re-registered as modified. I should note that the only times I know of people getting into trouble (at least here in Sweden) for not re-reging a modified car, it's because they where modified in such a way that it was hard to miss even for someone with little model specific knowledge.

At the yearly inspection no one will ever notice if my car is up 50hp from a chip, but if there's suddenly a supercharger on a car that never came boosted, I'll probably be failed and required to either restore the car to original and get a new CoC (almost impossible) or get it re-regd as a modified.

Of course technically a cop could take a look under the hood at a traffic stop and order you to get the car inspected if there's a CAI there. It just never happens.

Rhyno posted:

Are you familiar with the modifying laws in Asian countries? I think I saw a Jackie Chan film once where police impounded cars just for having locking hood pins and it's always made me wonder what the actual laws are there.

Sorry, no. South Korea seems to have a system very similar to the EU, that is to say that in theory every change has to be registered, but as long as you do it on the down low and don't piss off the wrong cop, it's probably going to work just fine.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Having driven in Seoul, I would say automotive modifications are the least of the enforcement issues. If a car can fit (or come close enough), there's a better than average chance there will be a car there soon, if not already.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I love trying to fit inappropriate amounts of things into my hatchback so much

gently caress your truck check out my Audi it has turbo

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

8ender posted:

I thought I wouldn't be able to shove two toilets into my Impreza, but I was. I probably could've done three if I didn't mind being decapitated when hitting the brakes.

Didn't even ride that badly from two 90lb shitters in the back. More understeer, certainly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I fit the rear axle from an explorer, a set of coil springs, two manual transmissions, a spare tire, my welder, a few driveshafts, and a gas tank in the back of my toilet-jeep at one point.

Oh and all my tools.

Yeah it rode like a freight car.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I loved the Corolla.

What is going on here?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

blk posted:

What is going on here?

I'm getting old.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

kastein posted:

I fit the rear axle from an explorer, a set of coil springs, two manual transmissions, a spare tire, my welder, a few driveshafts, and a gas tank in the back of my toilet-jeep at one point.

Oh and all my tools.

Yeah it rode like a freight car.

Not a problem, my buddy and I filled his 200k+ Grand Cherokee full of ~3000 lbs of bricks, like rear seats folded down, floor-ceiling full, rear suspension was on the bump-stops, 4.0 wouldn't take us over 50, overheated the transmission and prolapsed pretty much every seal on the motherfucker.

Fill that poo poo full of like 3 quarts of Lucas Transmission stop-leak? Went another 20K miles.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

trouser chili posted:

. The issue seems more centered on the driver's side coil, as disconnecting it doesn't change the way the engine runs. Disconnecting the passenger coil means it won't start or run at all.

I've not run a compression test, it's an ignition problem I'm sure of that. I just don't know what's behind it.

OK with the above in mind yeah its definitely not compression related. The only other thought running through my head is wiring up to the coil or the distributor itself.

I'n just thinking out loud but my next place I would start checking is the pick up in the distributor or if the distributor has excess play in the shaft. Stranger poo poo has happened.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Rhyno posted:

I'd have strangled the dude at the counter if I'd had to take a Versa. I loved the Corolla.

Thats cos the US got the poo poo version of the Versa- The AU version had a 1.8L MR18DE Twincam and a 6 speed manual. Girlfriend has one and we jammed a set of Tokico blues onto it and its a hoot to throw at twisty roads now

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

What? I have to tell my insurers but the only change I know you have to register in the UK is engine size/fuel, transmission type, number of axles. You have to tell your insurers if you modify otherwise, but that's it. It's almost as if different parts of the EU have different rules.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

What? I have to tell my insurers but the only change I know you have to register in the UK is engine size/fuel, transmission type, number of axles. You have to tell your insurers if you modify otherwise, but that's it. It's almost as if different parts of the EU have different rules.
A lot of Europe has a distinct amount of :cop: about modifying cars, the severity varies country to country.

We actually get a pretty sweet deal in the UK, even if it's not as open as it used to be.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Rhyno posted:

If if remember right, most of her list of cars was corolla chassis stuff, so that works out pretty nice.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

drat you guys post a lot...

The only thing I can think of when I see a car on donuts - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPh90yNX-mY
Also the reason I keep a set of donuts on hand with E30 bolt pattern.

8ender posted:

My golf is essentially a pickup truck at this point. I pull trailers loaded with stuff, haul engines/transmissions in the back and occasionally toss a tarp in the back to haul mulch/gravel/bricks.

So glad this isn't closer to TN...I'm still considering flying to NY - http://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/4627549686.html

Is it possible for brake pads that are overheated to the point of visibly smoking to expand? We ran into some issues on Dad's VW...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's so nice to have my car back, with the broken engine mount replaced. Now the engine doesn't bang against the body on hard gear changes anymore, and it feels so much better to drive.

This also steeled me to finally tackle the peeling plastichrome strips on one of the doors and the front bumper. At $15 for 15 meters of 10mm self-adhesive Autozone-style chrome moulding straight from Hong Kong, what could possibly go wrong? :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

They changed the Probation/Ban avatars.

I don't like new things.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I've decided that I'm going to have an epic mid-life crisis once I'm 40 years old. I'm going to buy an Ariel Atom, I've got four years to make this happen.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Car rental in the USA: Recommend me who's good to deal with. I have gold membership with Hertz and the equivalent Emerald Club thing with National. Looking for a week's rental from Dulles International near Washington.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InitialDave posted:

Car rental in the USA: Recommend me who's good to deal with. I have gold membership with Hertz and the equivalent Emerald Club thing with National. Looking for a week's rental from Dulles International near Washington.

I have had numerous good experiences with Enterprise. I recommend you use Priceline to secure the best deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I honestly can't say I've had a bad experience with any of the major rental companies. I've used Avis, Hertz, Enterprise, and National all in the last couple of years and they've always been fine. Granted, I've only rented cars for business, so I have no idea about price. For what it's worth, I like National because you make your reservation ahead of time, pick a car on their aisle, hop in and drive away.

• Locked thread