Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Not everyone needs a 303, but when they do, NOTHING else works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piss bucket 420
Aug 20, 2014

by Ralp

Sizone posted:

Pretty sure it's capacitive, and don't synth shame. No one gives a gently caress and it's better to reserve the sentiments of dumbness for really dumb, wasteful stuff, like buying a tb-303 or blowing 300$ on an ASR-X then another 300+ on ram, a cf drive and bogus software to do something that could be done in, like, 20 minutes with Reaktor.

Don't get me wrong but if you spent over $300 total on a ASR-X to max it out you hosed up. You could get like 3 ensoniqs for that money.

Signed, an owner of three ASR-X maxed out and loaded with all expansions

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Everybody needs a 303.

We can't have any 303s, you're hogging them all and keeping them in storage!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
So my sub 37 has like, a cracked key underneath the keyboard,

It doesn't interfere with anything but it wasn't a 300 bucks used synth too.. And one of the keys clicks at the top when you push it down all the way.

Super dumb because it doesn't feel like enough of an issue to return it and be without it, but then again it was a lot of money. Ugh.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

So my sub 37 has like, a cracked key underneath the keyboard,

It doesn't interfere with anything but it wasn't a 300 bucks used synth too.. And one of the keys clicks at the top when you push it down all the way.

Super dumb because it doesn't feel like enough of an issue to return it and be without it, but then again it was a lot of money. Ugh.

Send it back and get a new one. Those are unacceptable flaws for a Moog product.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Would I even get a new one soon? Like, it feels like I'd be put in the backorder list, blah. Only got this one cause I snagged it off ebay. It still has the manufacturers warranty though. I'll call moog tomorrow.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

If you can get it fixed under warranty, definitely do. You'd be cheating yourself out of a big chunk of the re-sale value if you didn't.

Keyboard or key swap shouldn't exactly be a complicated operation either.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah for real. I'll definitely contact them about getting it fixed up.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Flipperwaldt posted:

You'd be cheating yourself out of a big chunk of the re-sale value if you didn't.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

piss bucket 420 posted:

Signed, an owner of three ASR-X maxed out and loaded with all expansions

Thing only has one rom expansion slot. Seriously, don't troll the synth thread, this is not GBS.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Welp, I'm about to pull the trigger on 2 Happy Ending kits, a Synthrotek PWR, Synthrotek ECHO, Circuit Abbey Invy, and a set of Turing Machine expanded PCBs (still need to order parts and panels). I won't even be able to make any quality robot farts yet! I'll see if I can make good on keeping myself limited to 2 84HP racks but I'm one part hella excited and one part hella nervous. What am I about to do to myself?!

Paging WAFFLEHOUND for emotional support!

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I just bought an RM1x to not use. Yessssss.

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Paging WAFFLEHOUND for emotional support!

Kill yourself before it's too late. It's the only way out.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
On a different note, anyone feeling like doing a writeup on cheap-as-dirt synths? I'm just curious what floats around at a low price point that most people ignore, like the ensoniq stuff.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

On a different note, anyone feeling like doing a writeup on cheap-as-dirt synths? I'm just curious what floats around at a low price point that most people ignore, like the ensoniq stuff.

Kinda hard because yesterday's undervalued synths become tomorrow's cult synths. Case in point, tb-303. Anything analog was dirt cheap in the late '80's -> early '90's, everyone sold off their digital rack gear in the early -> mid 2000's and is now buying it back seemingly oblivious to what it is actually worth.
In 2004 I picked up a polysix with a battery leak for about 100$ even, good luck doing that now.
In 2005 I picked up an Fz-10m for the cost of shipping.
In 2006 I picked up an Ax-60 for 200$.

Besides time and whim, there's also factors of geography, look at the firesale prices here whenever someone bails to the mainland, or that European and Japanese synths seem to be a lot more common in European and Japanese markets.

Or look at how much the price of an sk-1 shot up when circuit bending became trendy compared to how much they go for now.

Basically, it's kind of a fool's errand. '90's romplers are, as a class, cheap as hell right now, but if a pic starts circulating of Skrillex naked in bed with a JV-1010, that could very well not be true tomorrow.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I didn't just mean analogue, synths in general. :)

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Sizone posted:

'90's romplers are, as a class, cheap as hell right now, but if a pic starts circulating of Skrillex naked in bed with a JV-1010, that could very well not be true tomorrow.

I'm actually seeing that, at least, for the Roland JD-990 and JD-800, they're starting to go up in price. The JD-800 is understandable since there are a bunch out there that suffer from red epoxy syndrome and getting them serviced is pretty expensive nowadays since Roland charges money now and doesn't make all the parts anymore. The JD-990's been getting expensive due to it's reputation as a really good pad/atmospheric rompler with the Vintage Synth expansion card. I managed to get mine earlier this year for $425 with the expansion card and both original manuals, and I'm seeing them regularly listed for at least $450 without any expansions or supplements.

It also doesn't help that you have the GearSlutz crowd trying to create artificial hype for a synth from time to time in order to sell it for a higher price. It's always fun to see it get shot down.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Best bargain synths that aren't analog are all plugins really.

Even former bargain hardware like a Matrix 1k goes for several hundred now. It is a great synth with some flaws, some of which you can fix with a patched firmware. But even with it, it has issues like only processing midi input every 20ms or whatever it is exactly. And you need a software editor.

Probably minibrute et al are the best cheapies to be had at the moment.

piss bucket 420
Aug 20, 2014

by Ralp
I'm not trolling the synth thread. I have two expansion packs, and SCSI in the non pros.

Obviously not all in one machine.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

breaks posted:

Best bargain synths that aren't analog are all plugins really.

Even former bargain hardware like a Matrix 1k goes for several hundred now. It is a great synth with some flaws, some of which you can fix with a patched firmware. But even with it, it has issues like only processing midi input every 20ms or whatever it is exactly. And you need a software editor.

Probably minibrute et al are the best cheapies to be had at the moment.

Don't forget the volca series !!!

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

piss bucket 420 posted:

I'm not trolling the synth thread. I have two expansion packs, and SCSI in the non pros.

Obviously not all in one machine.

Multiple Asrx-'s? Jesus loving christ, you have me way aced for synth masochism and dumbness. Though that does raise the question of why one Earth you would need more than one.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

FM/phase distortion stuff can be had for cheap if it's not dx100 or some other "legendary"model/hipsterbait, I just got a Korg 707 for less than the shipping was (too bad it arrived bricked). Much cooler than super simple mono analogs.

Edit. Not related but holy poo poo
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141382496365 Neurosis' ASR-10 used on Trough Silver in Blood and Times of Grace, daammmnnnn.

W424 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 25, 2014

piss bucket 420
Aug 20, 2014

by Ralp

Sizone posted:

Multiple Asrx-'s? Jesus loving christ, you have me way aced for synth masochism and dumbness. Though that does raise the question of why one Earth you would need more than one.

Well I have several because I really love them and want backups since they have some parts that are a little unreliable. I have replaced the digital encoders on all but one of the X's I've owned.

If you are trying to make "good music" on it then that's why you're a synth masochist. Try making a click track in step mode and record it into your computer and see how accurate its timing is. Consider a MPC or Ableton or something if you want a good sequencer. I like it because it sounds hosed up and like nothing else, but I make hosed up music

edit: ASR-X isn't pro unless it has the 8-out expansion too which I definitely have in my X Pro which runs beta OS

piss bucket 420 fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 25, 2014

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Today I got refunded for the Korg 707, found a DX11 locally, picked it up and changed the memory battery.
I could do most of it with the DXi ipad app that cost like 90cents but now I got 4op fm.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
CZ-101 is a nice cheap piece of hardware though prices are definitely rising on them. I love my Roland D2 as well (a piece of hardware which will ALWAYS stay low priced even as the MC-505 rises in price).

Also I've put my first toe into the modular ocean, bought 2x TTA Happy Endings racks, Synthrotek PWR, and a Synthrotek ECHO. The expanded Turing Machine is the next purchase on my list but I'm still many hundreds of dollars away from quality robo farts :negative:

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Casio CZ-101, Korg Poly 61, Korg DW-6000/8000, DX27, can still be found on the low end of the segment and all can be great fun if you envest some time in learning how to program them.
There are also loads of VA-synths that get shat upon for wel eh, being VA-synths, but still kan sound pretty solid in their own right like a Novation (Super) Nova, A or K station.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Kill yourself before it's too late. It's the only way out.

You think that's bad...I'm hooked and I don't even realky like electronic music.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sjoewe posted:

Casio CZ-101, Korg Poly 61, Korg DW-6000/8000, DX27, can still be found on the low end of the segment and all can be great fun if you envest some time in learning how to program them.
There are also loads of VA-synths that get shat upon for wel eh, being VA-synths, but still kan sound pretty solid in their own right like a Novation (Super) Nova, A or K station.

I get more use out of my DW8000 and my X-station (same synth engine as the K-stations) than I do my modular or Juno 106...

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Join the club.

Still need to get myself to replace some/all of the step-buttons.

HotCanadianChick posted:

I get more use out of my DW8000 and my X-station (same synth engine as the K-stations) than I do my modular or Juno 106...

Man, I've been thinking of selling my Juno 60, I love it for being so recognisable but I also hate it for always sounding like a loving Juno.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Sjoewe posted:

Casio CZ-101,

Much as I love them, cz's are really not bargain synths. CZ-101s in decent shape run around 200$+. For a digital, 4 note polyphonic xor 4 voice mono polytimbrel synth. Fixed 1 envelope per parameter modulation scheme, primitive and kind of gimpy midi (no bulk tx/rx, NO VELOCITY SENSITIVITY, hell, not even any modwheel response, forget aftertouch). Yeah, they can sound pretty cool, you can run them on batteries, they're cute and they have keytar pegs, but you don't get very much synth for the money.
Compare that to something like a Mo'Phat. I got mine fore 50$, I'm sure they can routinely be had for around 100$. You don't get the toy keyboard, but you get plenty of polyphony/polytimbrelity, modulation options and decent midi implementation for half the price.

Also, use your Rm-1xs, fuckers. Get good and stoned, plug in some headphones, put the thing on your lap and make some tracks.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Sizone posted:

Much as I love them, cz's are really not bargain synths.

The cz-1 (the best one) used to be cheaper than the 101, they still might be because not a hipster keytar/huge. I paid like half of what the 101's went for when I had one, used it also as a master keyboard.

"...It has a full 61-note 5-octave keyboard with velocity and aftertouch sensitivity. Otherwise it is essentially a CZ-3000 (which is essentially two CZ-1000s or CZ-101s). With the CZ-1 you get 8-stage envelopes, 2 oscillators per voice and a whole lot more with relatively easy programming. .."

W424 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 26, 2014

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
The obvious answer is to make a hardware setup from only the cheapest possible Craigslist grooveboxes.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Excellent idea. You should start with this rare, one of a kind Roland Korg Electribe

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
That's the one synth I regret selling and I hate you.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Now's your chance to rebuy. Don't hate, talk the seller down to 80$ because it isn't a Roland (that is a recent listing).

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I don't want to spend the money on any more synths for now though, especially because I just bought a new slackline :(

That and the whole "I don't have a power cable" thing screams "it's broken so I threw it out to sell it"

e. I just came up with the name "Radon Cherry" now I have a reason to live/make music.

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 26, 2014

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Sizone posted:

Also, use your Rm-1xs, fuckers. Get good and stoned, plug in some headphones, put the thing on your lap and make some tracks.

This.

Also this should be the answer to every question posed in that "how do I make electronic/club music" thread.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

ynohtna posted:

This.

Also this should be the answer to every question posed in that "how do I make electronic/club music" thread.

I've been following these quidelines:
"Brap.
To gather together, hook-up electronic instruments, get high and record. This term made familiar by Electronic music pioneers, Skinny Puppy.
"Cevin and I are going to brap in the basement.""

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Personally I follow the sage example of the Finnish noise artist Tommi Keränen who describes his method of making music as "doing audio" ("duunaa audioo")

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Man, all that hash oil on the keys is really going to do a number on the resale value for that prophet 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Sizone posted:

Man, all that hash oil on the keys is really going to do a number on the resale value for that prophet 5