Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I think we've all seen the name of a road spelled differently on two different signs on the same road, possibly directly across from each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

HappyHelmet posted:

On the plus side you'll have more outdoorsy stuff available to you there. Scooter rides up into the mountains can be pretty fun. Don't get any ideas about swimming around in reservoirs they have there though as swimming anywhere besides a pool is against the law.

The no swimming thing is one of the most bullshit parts of Taiwan. gently caress your superstitions and inability to swim. I can swim and want to go out in the big waves.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I never knew about that swimming thing. When I lived in DaJia there was a waterfall about a 45 minute drive up into the foothills that had a pretty nice pool at its base. Us foreigners would go swimming up there all the time. There were usually a few Taiwanese swimming around there when we would get there, too.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Suspect it's more so that if you drown/dive into a shallow pond and die/fall down a waterfall, they can go "WELP YOU WERE SWIMMING NOT-IN-SWIMMING-POOL SO IT'S YOUR FAULT".

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Yeah, it's not really that bad in Taipei but if you get out into like Hsindian or Tamsui all bets are off.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
You can swim in plenty of the rivers here. Some just have a sign that says "No swimming during a typhoon." The place I went swimming a few weeks ago was literally right in front of a police station. The guys in the police station were even nice enough to watch our bags.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

hailthefish posted:

Suspect it's more so that if you drown/dive into a shallow pond and die/fall down a waterfall, they can go "WELP YOU WERE SWIMMING NOT-IN-SWIMMING-POOL SO IT'S YOUR FAULT".

But wouldn't foreigner deaths only strengthen the ghosts that imperil our community? People would do poorly in business and in gambling for years to come!

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

on the left posted:

But wouldn't foreigner deaths only strengthen the ghosts that imperil our community? People would do poorly in business and in gambling for years to come!

It has nothing to do with ghosts! Don't you know every lake in Taiwan is full to the gills with vicious man eating piranhas! So much as dipping a toe in a lake will send them into a blood frenzy!

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
No swimming signs are to protect the National Parks from liability. Apparently Taiwanese people are quite bad at swimming, so it is necessary? If you see people swimming there, it is okay. You do have to watch out for some beaches though because the beaches here have nasty undercurrents.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Slowpoke! posted:

No swimming signs are to protect the National Parks from liability. Apparently Taiwanese people are quite bad at swimming, so it is necessary? If you see people swimming there, it is okay. You do have to watch out for some beaches though because the beaches here have nasty undercurrents.

Where I lived in Florida rip tide was a thing, so I'm at least familiar enough with how to handle myself in that situation. There is a bit of irony in that an island nation would be bad at swimming.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Slowpoke! posted:

That makes sense for the beaches on the East side of the island, but the West sides beaches are pretty tame in my experience. At least around Taichung anyway. Though it's not really a good idea to swim at those beaches because they are straight-up garbage strewn hell-holes.

I think it's sad they don't allow swimming at the reservoirs and lakes though. They could have setup supervised swimming areas with lifeguards for people to go splash around in, and have fun. Which would be good for the rural folk who usually live in those areas, and have less access to pools than the people in the cities. It would have helped put to rest the weird paranoia's Taiwanese people have about swimming in Taiwan too.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Sun Moon Lake has a yearly "swim across the lake" event. It should be coming up pretty soon, that's the only time you're allowed to swim in the lake. I guess since you can't swim across it normally the only way to train is doing laps in a pool. I recommend everyone go to a public pool at least once here if for no other reason than to see the adorable little kids strapped tight with every floatation device you can possibly imagine. I remember as a kid my first time learning to swim was a lot like Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: we walked out to the pool in our trunks, the teacher yelled at us to get in the pool and there was some confused looks at the water as if it was a pit of doom, then slowly everyone climbed over the side and remained there clinging to the side of the pool for dear life.

Girl I had lunch with the other day told me that everyone here learns to swim in Jr. High school but because most of them are not very good at it, they don't practice and then it becomes similar to the English situation where they don't want to do it even if they know how because they don't want to look bad so they just say they can't speak English or swim. Other people do go practice and become effective swimmers. I'm pretty sure the beach is still just that place where to stand ankle deep in water with your friends when all jump while someone is in the middle of taking a photograph.

I guess Liyu Lake near Hualien is also a nice place to go., and Shihmen Reservoir also seems to allow swimming during certain peroids.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 26, 2014

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Yeah it's kind of mind blowing that a people constantly surrounded by water are unable to swim but there you have it

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

PaybackJack posted:

Sun Moon Lake has a yearly "swim across the lake" event. It should be coming up pretty soon, that's the only time you're allowed to swim in the lake.

It's this Sunday and registration is closed :(

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

PaybackJack posted:

Sun Moon Lake has a yearly "swim across the lake" event. It should be coming up pretty soon, that's the only time you're allowed to swim in the lake. I guess since you can't swim across it normally the only way to train is doing laps in a pool. I recommend everyone go to a public pool at least once here if for no other reason than to see the adorable little kids strapped tight with every floatation device you can possibly imagine. I remember as a kid my first time learning to swim was a lot like Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: we walked out to the pool in our trunks, the teacher yelled at us to get in the pool and there was some confused looks at the water as if it was a pit of doom, then slowly everyone climbed over the side and remained there clinging to the side of the pool for dear life.

Girl I had lunch with the other day told me that everyone here learns to swim in Jr. High school but because most of them are not very good at it, they don't practice and then it becomes similar to the English situation where they don't want to do it even if they know how because they don't want to look bad so they just say they can't speak English or swim. Other people do go practice and become effective swimmers. I'm pretty sure the beach is still just that place where to stand ankle deep in water with your friends when all jump while someone is in the middle of taking a photograph.

I guess Liyu Lake near Hualien is also a nice place to go., and Shihmen Reservoir also seems to allow swimming during certain peroids.

Yeah the Sun Moon Lake thing is the one occasion I know of where they set aside the rules. Though as I understand it they make everyone use a flotation device, and I think I heard that they have several "rest" platforms along the route for people as well.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if the instinctive Taiwanese fear of skin colors darker than light beige plays into the "not swimming" thing too.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Taiwanese swimming outfits are completely ridiculous.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Atlas Hugged posted:

Taiwanese swimming outfits are completely ridiculous.

Eh, there's still those people who wear shirts and shorts in the states to go swimming.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah, but those people are just wearing random shirts and shorts for whatever reason. Taiwanese people pay extra money to have impractical swimming gear that covers more than their regular outfits.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah, but those people are just wearing random shirts and shorts for whatever reason. Taiwanese people pay extra money to have impractical swimming gear that covers more than their regular outfits.

That's what stops the ghosts getting in. :pseudo:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

BottledBacon posted:

That's what stops the ghosts getting in. :pseudo:

Guys, I'm scared that if I go swimming anywhere that's not a pool in Taiwan a ghost might swim up my urethra like those fish in South America. Guys, I don't want a possessed cock :ohdear:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
My dick isn't possessed, but it's definitely been scared stiff

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

I went swimming at a little beach nestled between rocky outcroppings in Kenting National Park last spring. Lots of Russians there. I heard rumor there's a spot where you can actually go surfing? I kinda want to try that out this fall.

Are there regular buses that run from Kaohsiung's high speed rail to Kenting? I'm trying to figure out how to get there this next time around.

Unrelated to swimming: I'm forced to leave my acoustic guitar in the states when I fly out next week. Any Taipei goons have suggestions for where I can get a good quality/inexpensive replacement? (ukelele comment in 5... 4... 3...)

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Backweb posted:

I went swimming at a little beach nestled between rocky outcroppings in Kenting National Park last spring. Lots of Russians there. I heard rumor there's a spot where you can actually go surfing? I kinda want to try that out this fall.

Are there regular buses that run from Kaohsiung's high speed rail to Kenting? I'm trying to figure out how to get there this next time around.

Unrelated to swimming: I'm forced to leave my acoustic guitar in the states when I fly out next week. Any Taipei goons have suggestions for where I can get a good quality/inexpensive replacement? (ukelele comment in 5... 4... 3...)

Tons of guitar places here, they're all over. I have yet to see a store that sells Chinese instruments but dozens that sell violins, saxophones, trumpets, and guitars.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Backweb posted:

If you go out the exit that leads towards the McDonald's in the KaoHsiung HSR station, you'll see a little stand for the Kenting shuttle bus. Not sure how often it runs, but it should be fairly frequently.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Backweb posted:

I literally have two guitars that I don't know how to play. I could pawn one off on you on the cheap.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Backweb posted:

I like Galaxy Music(金螞蟻). If you're looking for traveler guitars or a guitalele, there's other specific shops for those if you want.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language

Atlas Hugged posted:

If you go out the exit that leads towards the McDonald's in the KaoHsiung HSR station, you'll see a little stand for the Kenting shuttle bus. Not sure how often it runs, but it should be fairly frequently.

Only once an hour, but it runs 24 hours a day if I recall correctly! Takes like 2-3 hours to get out to the town of Hengchun, where you can rent a scooter and get to the beach in like 10 minutes. (No license? You can still rent one of the bright orange electric scooters 電動車) Have fun in Kenting!

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Thanks for the guitar/instrument heads-ups. Spanish Matlock I may have to take you up on your offer. Assuming you're in Taipei?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Backweb posted:

Thanks for the guitar/instrument heads-ups. Spanish Matlock I may have to take you up on your offer. Assuming you're in Taipei?

Wouldn't be anywhere else.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

Wouldn't be anywhere else.

Awesome. Didn't want to assume.

How much money is there to be made by editing documents that have been written in clunky English? Kinda want a part time job while I'm studying.

E: Removed a question about work permits vs residency visas/ARC. Learned that I still need a work permit.

Backweb fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 29, 2014

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

http://www.editing.tw/

Knock yourself out.

Caveat: Do not work here.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I'm looking over stuff, and doing some research, but I have a couple of questions. I currently have an iPhone 4s through Verizon, which I am planning on leaving behind for my parents to use/pay for while I'm away. What is the preferred mobile carrier, who has better reliability/speed/pricing/service? Should I buy an unlocked GSM phone before I leave, or after I arrive?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

What is the preferred mobile carrier, who has better reliability/speed/pricing/service? Should I buy an unlocked GSM phone before I leave, or after I arrive?

All of them and buy a phone here.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

All of them and buy a phone here.

Depends on what phone you want and if you want it to have 4G.

Taiwan Mobile and Fareastone are on a different mhz band so you can't use apple products on their 4G network.

If you want an iphone go with Chungwa telecom or Vibo

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

I'm landing at 5:30 in the morning on Friday at Taoyuan airport and trying to figure out the cheapest way to get to Taipei main station. Rail looks the cheapest, but I'm wondering if goons had any alternative suggestions for that time of day.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Backweb posted:

I'm landing at 5:30 in the morning on Friday at Taoyuan airport and trying to figure out the cheapest way to get to Taipei main station. Rail looks the cheapest, but I'm wondering if goons had any alternative suggestions for that time of day.
Just take a bus, it'll be way easier. They leave from right outside the terminal and take you all the way into town, and they're like NT$70.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!

TetsuoTW posted:

Just take a bus, it'll be way easier. They leave from right outside the terminal and take you all the way into town, and they're like NT$70.

Yeah, this. Just walk to the booth with Taipei Main written there, point a finger to say '1' and then pay barely $2/£1 for a bus to the station. They're pretty comfortable buses too and leave roughly once every 30 minutes (At least the one to Banqiao does).

(Just follow the signs for buses when you're in the arrivals terminal)

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
There's no direct rail linkup anyway (Airport MRT opening in 2012 2013 December 2015!) so if you're gonna get on a bus you might as well just get on the one that will take you directly to Taipei, as others have said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

POCKET CHOMP posted:

(Airport MRT opening in 2012 2013 December 2015!)
The Taipei station for that is actually coming along pretty quickly now, they might actually hit this deadline.