Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Serious Cephalopod posted:

I was hoping for a goon lp, because gobs teens to be the anti pewdiepie. I remember looking super great friend, so I'll check the demo video out. Thanks!
Is the game 3 months old?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Nihilarian posted:

Is the game 3 months old?

More like nine days, judging from the Desura release date, and I think that was the first place it was distributed. Twelve days according to Wikipedia. Either way, not really. If it was that old, the Youtube frenzy would have already passed, I presume.

EDIT: Though one could apply the "ask the dev" rule here, and I can't imagine the dev would have any problems with an LP here.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 20, 2014

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
Oh really? I don't really know the rules of making an LP, as I've never planned to make one. I'll look those up before I ask next time. I usually look for an LP to get me excited for a game, and only buy after watching some gameplay.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Catastrophics posted:

For a full play through this one looks like it could be promising. No random screaming or facecam, plus there's editing too so no repeats of failed nights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDeYBPPlkSs

I've just watched this and I'd like to second it. The guy sounds pretty chill even when the poo poo is hitting the fan. Another plus is that he edits well, he documents the play through's and cuts to the point of the points where he fails and finally succeeds.

I only heard about this game yesterday, someone gifted it to me on Steam this morning and I thought I'd give it a try. Usually games with horror themes tend to be predictable but gently caress me, for the first time in my gaming life I jumped back and gave a very audible wail.

A goon LP, unless written permission is provided, will have to wait. But if you're itching for one now that isn't gimmicky then Catastrophics recommendation is a good choice.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
He's only got the one video up, but it does look pretty good. I'll probably keep tabs on him.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Catastrophics posted:

For a full play through this one looks like it could be promising. No random screaming or facecam, plus there's editing too so no repeats of failed nights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDeYBPPlkSs

Oh JESUS. I'd been reading people say great things about this game for a while but that video was the first I ever saw of it. That close call in the first day got me good. :suspense:

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Huh. So the game is Night Trap with animatronic animals at a Pizzaria, and the first I've heard of it is through an LP recommendation thread. I just have no grasp of what people like nowadays :/. Between this, Goat Simulator, and survival games it's like Youtube celebrities decide what games will sell.

OH poo poo GUYS, Let's Play superstars have recursively dictated game design! You did it! You loving did it! HOORAY!

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 21, 2014

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

That seems pretty overreactionary for people being interested in a video game but okay.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Kaubocks posted:

That seems pretty overreactionary for people being interested in a video game but okay.

Take it easy. Let's not get our panties in a bunch here.

VVV I can hear them bunching.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 21, 2014

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm not even remotely mad I just don't see the problem in a video game exploding in popularity. :confused:

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
I don't think people are waiting outside gamestop to pick up their goat simulator pre-orders.

One can dream.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Chewbot posted:

Huh. So the game is Night Trap with animatronic animals at a Pizzaria, and the first I've heard of it is through an LP recommendation thread. I just have no grasp of what people like nowadays :/. Between this, Goat Simulator, and survival games it's like Youtube celebrities decide what games will sell.

OH poo poo GUYS, Let's Play superstars have recursively dictated game design! You did it! You loving did it! HOORAY!

In the indie world, the "easiest" way to success is to become the flavor of the month. That way, you get boatloads of free advertising and people start flocking to your game in droves.

Like I said before, the game hits several key points that make it interesting for YT LPers, and therefore it had good chances of becoming flavor of the month. And lo and behold, it succeeded, is now on Steam and in the top 50 sellers there. Doesn't sound like a lot, but for what I believe is a one man show it's a success worth celebrating.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I thought it was an 90s FMV game that tumblr had recently discovered and was ironically playing or something.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I think we're kinda traipsing off-topic here with the spooky-puppet-game. Discussion on this topic might do better in the off-site LP thread thingo :v:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3574283&pagenumber=1

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I can't really imagine anything else similar to recommend to him though? He's a big nerd so I mentioned a warhammer 40k LP from here but he said the one guys voice just made it too difficult, so I guess that's a factor too.
I assume you recommended TheLastRoboky's and Coolguy's LPs? If not I'd suggest their Dawn of War 2 and Space Marine LPs, otherwise you might want to recommend Kaubock's and Panzer Skank's Saints Row 2 LP, see if that floats his boat, since a lot of what makes it so great comes from their interaction with each other and the greatness that is Saints Row 2's net code

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I don't remember the name of the group, but they do really in dept let's plays of games that point out things they don't like about it. I think the series they were on a few months ago was Skyrim? They also did Mass Effect before that.

Does anyone remember who they are?

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Spoiler Alert?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Spoiler Alert?

Looking them up, I don't think it's them.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Were you actually looking up spoiler warning, because I remembered the name completely wrong.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Were you actually looking up spoiler warning, because I remembered the name completely wrong.

There are some really funny moments and some insightful commentary in SW's skyrim lp, but that's offset against long stretches of tedium and the commentators sounding so sick and tired of the game that they'd happily slit their wrists to escape.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tommofork posted:

There are some really funny moments and some insightful commentary in SW's skyrim lp, but that's offset against long stretches of tedium and the commentators sounding so sick and tired of the game that they'd happily slit their wrists to escape.

Authentic Skyrim experience then.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Has there been an LP of any of the Sniper Elite games?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The Lone Badger posted:

Has there been an LP of any of the Sniper Elite games?

I believe someone tried starting the 2nd game but it died out

found here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3644797

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Ah, warning not alert. That's them. I wanted to see their Mass Effect playthrough.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Tommofork posted:

You could say that about pretty much every game they've done. I like them (I really appreciate commentary that tries to unpack a game and discuss what worked and what didn't) but they do tend to play games that last about 30-40% longer than they really have things to say about.

Catastrophics
Jun 2, 2011
I expect the answer's no but is there anywhere other than Youtube to watch Faceguy's LP of Pikmin?

The Blip and Viddler links are down and some of the early Youtube videos have no sound.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Catastrophics posted:

I expect the answer's no but is there anywhere other than Youtube to watch Faceguy's LP of Pikmin?

The Blip and Viddler links are down and some of the early Youtube videos have no sound.
https://archive.org/details/LP_Pikmin

Catastrophics
Jun 2, 2011

Brilliant, thanks!

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Does anyone know of a good Persona 4 Let's Play that shows off the voice acting? The one in the archives for just Persona 4 has almost all the videos missing and the one for Persona 4 Golden doesn't seem to have any video to show off the characters talking.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Does anyone know of a good Persona 4 Let's Play that shows off the voice acting? The one in the archives for just Persona 4 has almost all the videos missing and the one for Persona 4 Golden doesn't seem to have any video to show off the characters talking.

If you're fine with watching a long VLP series then the Giant Bomb Endurance Run should suffice.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

There's long plays that have no commentary if you're looking for that.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

Tae posted:

There's long plays that have no commentary if you're looking for that.
Is it edited well/does the person playing know what they're doing?

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
Wow I actually made the OP of this thread, what an unexpected humbling feeling. I can't believe someone remembered that LP from literally 4 years ago considering it's not even in the archive. Although the third video of that LP is probably the best creative idea I have ever had on the internet ('inspired'/stolen from a CYOA Sonic level Cybershell made that I can't find).

Anyways, as far as recommendations go, my absolute FAVORITE LP of all time is actually MeccaPrime's Oracle of Ages/Seasons LP. I love his commentary style. It is so incredibly hard to make solo commentary this energetic, interesting, and informative while at the same time not resorting to garbage internet catch phrases or other verbal crutches over and over. I honestly don't have any idea how he did it. I enjoy his LttP and Minish Cap LP's also, but I never played the Oracle games myself and in my opinion they seem to be the most complete 2D Zelda games ever made (I haven't played the new one). They should really let Capcom take another stab at Zelda.
I even went through the trouble of creating a playlist that separates the videos by game instead of the chronological LP order on his channel, if you're into that kind of thing.

psymonkey fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 24, 2014

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

psymonkey posted:

Wow I actually made the OP of this thread, what an unexpected humbling feeling. I can't believe someone remembered that LP from literally 4 years ago considering it's not even in the archive. Although the third video of that LP is probably the best creative idea I have ever had on the internet ('inspired'/stolen from a CYOA Sonic level Cybershell made that I can't find).

Anyways, as far as recommendations go, my absolute FAVORITE LP of all time is actually MeccaPrime's Oracle of Ages/Seasons LP. I love his commentary style. It is so incredibly hard to make solo commentary this energetic, interesting, and informative while at the same time not resorting to garbage internet catch phrases or other verbal crutches over and over. I honestly don't have any idea how he did it. I enjoy his LttP and Minish Cap LP's also, but I never played the Oracle games myself and in my opinion they seem to be the most complete 2D Zelda games ever made (I haven't played the new one). They should really let Capcom take another stab at Zelda.
I even went through the trouble of creating a playlist that separates the videos by game instead of the chronological LP order on his channel.

MeccaPrime has done several of the handheld Legend of Zelda games, and personally my favorite one has always been the glitched-to-hell-and-back Link's Awakening run where he tackles all the dungeons in reverse order, all while providing dead serious commentary in the midst of garbled sprites and dungeon keys raining from the heavens. Probably rivals the Dangan Ronpa LP for "most number of new avatars created and bought" during the thread's run.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SWMadness posted:

MeccaPrime has done several of the handheld Legend of Zelda games, and personally my favorite one has always been the glitched-to-hell-and-back Link's Awakening run where he tackles all the dungeons in reverse order, all while providing dead serious commentary in the midst of garbled sprites and dungeon keys raining from the heavens. Probably rivals the Dangan Ronpa LP for "most number of new avatars created and bought" during the thread's run.

One of my old epilepsy-inducing avatars came from that LP. Well, that and MeccaPrime's reverence for shinesparking :v:

shinesquawk

Hey speaking of shinesparking and nice logical segues, maybe his Metroid Fusion LP deserves a look!

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

I actually recommended one for Golden a few pages back. He left the VA on but tries to mimic it when it's not actually used in scenes. He also managed to luck into the True Ending and made almost all of the Social Links (I think he missed 3 total?), if that's of any interest to you. He also cuts out a lot of the repetitive dungeon areas so that it moves at a decent pace. It's currently in the winding down phase (last few episodes) so if you feel like a long sit-in LP this should do you.

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 24, 2014

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Gonna recommend MassRafTer's Sonic 2006 LP

It has the perfect blend of both MassRafTer's disturbing levels of experience and knowledge of how the game is tearing itself apart at the seams and poor Hulkamatt's dread of just how deep this rabbit hole goes.

It's a completely different experience from the other... infamous? LP. It deserves attention because it is fascinating and hilarious how this game has zero redeeming qualities, and the commentary is funny.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I'm looking for a good surreal/creepy LP in the vein of The Void (CannibalK9 did an excellent LP of this, the guy really knew when to let the game speak for itself and when to add his own touch)/ Yume Nikki / Silent Hill, preferably an informative style, no scare-cam.

Also, looking for a narrative LP in like Avalon Code by Didja Redo, he took a game with a really interesting concept and a piss-poor execution and bland story, and gave it a great story.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

axelsoar posted:

I'm looking for a good surreal/creepy LP in the vein of The Void (CannibalK9 did an excellent LP of this, the guy really knew when to let the game speak for itself and when to add his own touch)/ Yume Nikki / Silent Hill, preferably an informative style, no scare-cam.

DumbRodent has just finished the main run of Outlast, and he's taking a break beore tackling the DLC. His commentary is pretty low-key and unintrusive, to the point that sometimes it seems tht is the main character commenting o the situation, rather than the LPer.

axelsoar posted:

Also, looking for a narrative LP in like Avalon Code by Didja Redo, he took a game with a really interesting concept and a piss-poor execution and bland story, and gave it a great story.

Obvious recommendations are everything else from Didja Redo and Chewbot. I really like Academagia and Temple of Elemental Evil by Bobbin Threadbare.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

axelsoar posted:

I just watched through this one of Phantasmagoria and it seems like what you're looking for. It's an old 90s point and click game with a really good creepy atmosphere. Some of it hasn't aged too well but I'd say overall it's a spooky/surreal game to check out.