Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Zachack posted:

Tater's entire argument is that Marvel is pretending to be more pro-women than DC, but that's not really true because if you go back 7 or 11 years there are covers that are just like the Manara cover, and the Manara cover shows that really Marvel hasn't changed at all. I'm saying that the Manara cover doesn't bear that out.

Well that is silly, Marvel is pretending to be more pro women. The fact that they are still doing what they are doing reinforces that notion, not contradict it.

edit: Though that does explain why I was confused.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well that is silly, Marvel is pretending to be more pro women. The fact that they are still doing what they are doing reinforces that notion, not contradict it.
So you disagree with the idea that a company can be socially better than another company even if the first company doesn't perfectly adhere to purity standards?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Zachack posted:

So you disagree with the idea that a company can be socially better than another company even if the first company doesn't perfectly adhere to purity standards?

You love your tangents. They can be, but its harder to judge unless one side is comically socially evil. They might be slightly better, but I don't think so really. They seem to understand they should be appealing to women but they don't really understand how or why they should be, just that they should be. Racism tends to follow a similar path.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

CharlestheHammer posted:

You love your tangents.
How is this a tangent?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Zachack posted:

How is this a tangent?

You weren't actually arguing that Marvel was better than DC unless saying they are still doing what they are always doing is somehow arguing that they are better than DC. I mean granted I am not 100% what you are arguing but I know its not that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tangent was pretty great

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Rhyno posted:

Tangent was pretty great

A superhero team with four people whose only power is to shrink would be awesome.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

A superhero team with four people whose only power is to shrink would be awesome.

Wasn't there a group like that in The Atom for a while there, government employees who stole Atom's shrink-powers to go be micro-spies or something?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rhyno posted:

Tangent was pretty great

Ah yes, the famous "bat-symbol drawn while drunk"

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm going to be making the BSS Fantasy Football league for this season shortly, does anyone have a preference on Yahoo vs. ESPN?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

You weren't actually arguing that Marvel was better than DC unless saying they are still doing what they are always doing is somehow arguing that they are better than DC. I mean granted I am not 100% what you are arguing but I know its not that.

Marvel IS doing better than DC. The existence of a cheesecake variant cover for a book does not negate the existence of Ms. Marvel, Captain Marvel, or the new Thor series. Even if the entire book is lovely cheesecake (a distinct possibility, given Land) it doesn't negate the good stuff they're doing. Good stuff which, I might add, DC is still not doing any of whatsoever.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Good stuff which, I might add, DC is still not doing any of whatsoever.

Sure, they've got a lot of positive press about the Batgirl soft-reboot. Granted, they've also assigned Finch to Wonder Woman, purportedly with a mandate to "bring it into line" with the rest of the New 52, so I guess it's a case of easy come, easy go.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CapnAndy posted:

I'm going to be making the BSS Fantasy Football league for this season shortly, does anyone have a preference on Yahoo vs. ESPN?

YAHOO! I'm in and will own again.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They're also giving Catwoman and Supergirl to new female writers in the next runs.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Marvel IS doing better than DC. The existence of a cheesecake variant cover for a book does not negate the existence of Ms. Marvel, Captain Marvel, or the new Thor series. Even if the entire book is lovely cheesecake (a distinct possibility, given Land) it doesn't negate the good stuff they're doing. Good stuff which, I might add, DC is still not doing any of whatsoever.

Eh, it depends on how exactly you qualify. If you are going just by number of titles where the lead is a women, then DC actually outnumbers them dramatically. Quality is eh but still that isn't the point. Though my overall point was that he wasn't arguing that, or at least not at the time.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

Sure, they've got a lot of positive press about the Batgirl soft-reboot. Granted, they've also assigned Finch to Wonder Woman, purportedly with a mandate to "bring it into line" with the rest of the New 52, so I guess it's a case of easy come, easy go.

Okay, let me rephrase: Marvel's attempts at gender equality include making two fantastic books, one from wholecloth and the other using (and being respectful towards) an established character, and one that isn't out yet but will most likely also be fantastic. DC's attempt at gender equality involved making Barbara Gordon walk again.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That's not what I mean; I mean the redesign and new creative team she's got now Simone's no longer writing.

In fact, I've just found this Comics Alliance article about this very topic.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh, it depends on how exactly you qualify. If you are going just by number of titles where the lead is a women, then DC actually outnumbers them dramatically. Quality is eh but still that isn't the point. Though my overall point was that he wasn't arguing that, or at least not at the time.

I'm a she :(

It's true though, that wasn't what I was arguing. What I was saying was a certain segment of the fanbase has been trumpeting that Marvel's way ahead. Toot toot, motherfuckers.

Also I can find you a half-dozen more covers from the past couple years that are problematic if that makes you feel more comfortable, but in general it's good if you don't put words in my mouth.

Question: anyone know if Marvel 'binds' its variants in the digital issues?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Was Taters posted:

It's true though, that wasn't what I was arguing. What I was saying was a certain segment of the fanbase has been trumpeting that Marvel's way ahead. Toot toot, motherfuckers.

Also I can find you a half-dozen more covers from the past couple years that are problematic if that makes you feel more comfortable, but in general it's good if you don't put words in my mouth.

They don't from my experience.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Marvel publishes a large number of terrible comics featuring female characters. Manara's Angela and Gamora variants for Guardians of the Galaxy are every bit as bad as the Spider-woman variant. I may be down on DC but at least their Bombshell variants were fairly tasteful.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Was Taters posted:

I was actually talking about Zachack.

I am on your side :(

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

CapnAndy posted:

Yahoo. ESPN's interface is worse than Dan Slott on Spider-man. Hopefully this year I get a quarterback.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

CharlestheHammer posted:

I was actually talking about Zachack.

I am on your side :(

Aw I know, I wasn't yelling at you. Sorry for confusing which one of us you were pronouning though.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Teenage Fansub posted:

They're also giving Catwoman and Supergirl to new female writers in the next runs.
Starting in November Supergirl is written by an (established) boy and a (new) girl, while Batgirl is written by two boys but drawn by a girl.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Someone probably should negate the existence of Captain Marvel.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Starting in November Supergirl is written by an (established) boy and a (new) girl, while Batgirl is written by two boys but drawn by a girl.

Earth 2 is getting Marguerite Bennett writing on the monthly and weekly, Becky Cloonan is doing Gotham Academy.
Yo Ladies!!!!!

And Nocenti's still hanging around. Against all evidence I really want her Klarion The Witch Boy book to be great. Please.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Actually technically DC has historically done better than Marvel if you ignore personal taste. Those three new series were responses to the fact that when X-23 was cancelled Marvel cancelled their last female ongoing, even at their shittiest DC has had female ongoings.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Someone probably should negate the existence of Captain Marvel.

Captain Marvel has been pretty awesome lately.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

Captain Marvel has been pretty awesome lately.

I wouldn't go that far, I'd really like a better writer on that book.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captain Marvel was better written in Avengers Assemble.

And it was the same writer.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Captain Marvel was better written in Avengers Assemble.

And it was the same writer.

You're right, but Spider-Woman was even better written in AA. Clearly there's a piece missing somewhere.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Hakkesshu posted:

You're right, but Spider-Woman was even better written in AA. Clearly there's a piece missing somewhere.

Aside from a really crappy VHS movie from when I was a kid, my first exposure to Spider-Woman was in Bendis's Avengers however long ago. And the only real portrayal of her I've liked has been the one Kot's writing in Secret Avengers. Are people not talking about that book like it's one of the leading female-led Marvel books? Maria Hill, Black Widow, and Spider-Woman are not only getting more screen time than the men in the book but they're more competent and generally why I've kept reading it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's too bad the Ultimate Spiderman Cartoon sucks apparently because it looks like they do a lot of cool poo poo. When I went to see GotG at the Drafthouse as part of their preshow they were showing USM clips where Rocket and Groot showed up. One of the things I liked about EMH was how they just jam packed it full of historic Avengers story lines and characters and it looks like they do the same thing on USM.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

That's nice that Donald finally got to play Spiderman.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Anything that keeps him from doing another album is a gift to the world.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

Anything that keeps him from doing another album is a gift to the world.
I want to buy you a drink.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

What do Marvel and DC look like in terms of hiring female creators? I feel like that's more interesting to me than how many female-led books they have.

Off the top of my head, Marvel has Kelly Sue Deconnick and Jordie Bellaire, DC has Gail Simone and maybe still Ann Nocenti. Who am I missing? Please tell me that's not it. Does Amanda Connor still work for DC? Is Emma Rios still doing stuff for Marvel or is she strictly Image at this point?

edit: forgot G. Willow Wilson for Marvel, duh.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 26, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is there a German word that means "the feeling of satisfaction one gets from seeing exhaustivly sourced proof about exactly how lovely Greg Land is"?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

What do Marvel and DC look like in terms of hiring female creators? I feel like that's more interesting to me than how many female-led books they have.

Off the top of my head, Marvel has Kelly Sue Deconnick and Jordie Bellaire, DC has Gail Simone and maybe still Ann Nocenti. Who am I missing? Please tell me that's not it. Does Amanda Connor still work for DC? Is Emma Rios still doing stuff for Marvel or is she strictly Image at this point?

Are we limiting it to just writers? Because Marvel has Sara Pichelli who is one of the better artists working right now imo. Is Marjorie Liu writing any Marvel books these days?

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 26, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oh man, killer link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted: