Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Shadoer posted:

Yeah I have to agree. He might have indirectly done some good by showing the corruption in gaming journalism, but his motivations were pure poo poo.
Eh I mean it's admittedly tacky but all he did was tell the truth about how he was wronged. The people who got named were only in that position because they cucked him over. I guess the "right" thing to do is just hide your shame and let the people who did lovely things act like it never happened, but I can see why this guy felt the need to let it out.

If you look at that linked reddit discussion the boyfriend actually originally posted the manifesto here and in the penny arcade forums specifically because he thought these sites wouldn't go harass someone.

http://www.reddit.com/r/SRSGaming/comments/2ef26g/what_all_that_zoe_quinn_stuff_was_about_2nd/cjyzzio

"That's very true. I don't mean to say that SA and PA are drama-free safe havens, far from it, but I don't think SA and PA are the kind of places to go the the lengths to harass Quinn that 4chan did."

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aidopunko
Oct 12, 2012

Shadoer posted:

Yeah I have to agree. He might have indirectly done some good by showing the corruption in gaming journalism, but his motivations were pure poo poo.

I kinda feel like it's ok to be poo poo to people that have been poo poo to him.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Has the nods respectfully twitter account tweeted the guy the picture was taken from?

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

ArbitraryC posted:

Eh I mean it's admittedly tacky but all he did was tell the truth about how he was wronged. The people who got named were only in that position because they cucked him over. I guess the "right" thing to do is just hide your shame and let the people who did lovely things act like it never happened, but I can see why this guy felt the need to let it out.

Urgh well yeah, letting them get away with loving people over is wrong too and he had to do something. Not this, but something had to be done. And you're right, while I'd say his motivations were poo poo... I can understand (but not agree) with why he needed to do what he did, especially if everything he says about Zoe really is true.

However, people have a legit point that getting revenge on your ex like this is not cool. Like when you are in a relationship with someone, if your close you are going to find out things about them that aren't flattering and it's a bit of an unspoken contract that you aren't going to reveal this to everyone if you break up unless there's a really good reason to.

Aidopunko posted:

I kinda feel like it's ok to be poo poo to people that have been poo poo to him.

Oh yeah, those people are loving scum. He may have gone about this in a lovely way, but it at least is understandable. Their motivations seem to be "I want attention" and "bling".

Edit to your edit:

ArbitraryC posted:

If you look at that linked reddit discussion the boyfriend actually originally posted the manifesto here and in the penny arcade forums specifically because he thought these sites wouldn't go harass someone.

http://www.reddit.com/r/SRSGaming/c...out_2nd/cjyzzio

"That's very true. I don't mean to say that SA and PA are drama-free safe havens, far from it, but I don't think SA and PA are the kind of places to go the the lengths to harass Quinn that 4chan did."

Ok I really didn't give the guy enough credit, he actually did make some effort to do things the right way with less lovely motivations. I'd buy him a beer.

Shadoer fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 25, 2014

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgJXbIP83A8 this is for the poor cucked man.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Shadoer posted:

However, people have a legit point that getting revenge on your ex like this is not cool. Like when you are in a relationship with someone, if your close you are going to find out things about them that aren't flattering and it's a bit of an unspoken contract that you aren't going to reveal this to everyone if you break up unless there's a really good reason to.

In this case, the ex's 'good reason' was an abuse allegation. Both Zoe and the ex seem to be SJ types. Their social norms would lean hard towards calling out anyone who behaved badly.

The reactions read like conservative damage control after some Moral Authority gets caught with a rent boy. Suddenly, pundits learn that privacy is paramount, and we shouldn't rush to judge people.

It always leaves me torn. Like you, I wish there was less tabloid bullshit all around. But it's hard to see the sudden about-face as anything other than a cynical attempt at covering for hypocrisy.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
<XavierMendel> I guess I'll just go back to watching Godzilla.
<Pharnaces> You betrayed us all.
<XavierMendel> Or not.

Aidopunko
Oct 12, 2012

Shadoer posted:

I'd buy him a beer.

Amen.

Imagine coming to the realisation that the person you love has cheated on you. And then imagine asking around and confronting her and it turns out to be a minimum of 500% worse than you thought. And that some of it strongly suggests that it was done for her career. But she still loves you. But lies through her teeth nonstop.

And then through all the self medication and puking come up with a gem of a nickname like "burgers and fries".

falcon2424 posted:

The reactions read like conservative damage control after some Moral Authority gets caught with a rent boy.

I think of it like the indie gamer feminist version of Newt Gingrich. Sure maybe he has some good ideas and can make coherent arguments for them but why would you support a douchebag like that? Is there no one else that represents you that can do the same but without all the shameful cheating and hypocrisy?

Aidopunko fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 25, 2014

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if i made depresssion quest there'd be a lot more weed and tight 2-d platforming.

Aidopunko
Oct 12, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

if i made depresssion quest there'd be a lot more weed and tight 2-d platforming.

What percentage of players would die on 1-1 to the first goomba?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Real hurthling! posted:

You fight Depression in a Platinum Games style button-mashing punching sequence.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its like sonic cd only you don't get to the good future unless your serotonin is high enough first from banging desperate industry wanks.

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sriC7iOxwR8

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

NutritiousSnack posted:

<XavierMendel> I guess I'll just go back to watching Godzilla.
<Pharnaces> You betrayed us all.
<XavierMendel> Or not.
What's this all about? A quick google looks like it's over some mod drama at reddit? Further reading makes it look like it might be funny, some mod is accused of leaking screencaps of discussions between other mods/admins/zoe talking about removing content related to her. It also mentioned them going through pms and preemptively "shadow banning" (user can post but posts are invisible) users who were sharing negative information about her.

I still don't get why everyone is going to bat for zoe. This is a huge amount of effort to defend a person who did lovely things on sites that would usually condemn the lovely things.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

What's this all about? A quick google looks like it's over some mod drama at reddit? Further reading makes it look like it might be funny, some mod is accused of leaking screencaps of discussions between other mods/admins/zoe talking about removing content related to her.

Random Mod was banned from Reddit because of screencap leaks of admins and Mods actually censoring and trying to cover up the "story". He wasn't actually responsible the actual leaker and him came forward and revealed how personally the mods personally actually care about this. The admin in question literally went on a speech like the dude molested his sister over extremely petty and minor crap.

Basically internet drama 101.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

I still don't get why everyone is going to bat for zoe. This is a huge amount of effort to defend a person who did lovely things on sites that would usually condemn the lovely things.

You know, I kinda wonder this myself. Kotaku and Rock Paper Shotgun have an invested interest in trying to maintain their reputations, and a bunch of other journalists that have written on it can be hand waved away as being "lazy". However you'd think one of the other major game journalists sites would take the opportunity to knee cap their competition. Like the story and opportunity to do it is right there and none of the big players are taking it at all.

Not thinking they are all part of some SWJ conspiracy, but I'd wager there's something else Zoe or one of the jurno's has done that has gotten the other big gaming news sites by the balls that isn't public yet.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Shadoer posted:

Not thinking they are all part of some SWJ conspiracy, but I'd wager there's something else Zoe or one of the jurno's has done that has gotten the other big gaming news sites by the balls that isn't public yet.

They probably just don't give a poo poo because this is the gamer equivalent of celebrity gossip. It's hilarious but also trashy and not real news, like which AAA shootmans is going to be GOTY

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Real hurthling! posted:

You are severely depressed. You can barely summon the effort to move forward. You know that first question block in front of you have a mushroom that will make you bigger and stronger, but you can't be bothered to grab it. A goomba starts to come menacingly toward you, but it quickly realizes something is wrong with you and quietly steps aside rather than get "into it" with you. You make your way up the short flight of blocks to the first pit. Do you....

1.) Quickly clamber up and leap over the pit. (Your level of depression prevents this)
2.) Slowly drag yourself up the steps, stare into the abyss. The abyss does not stare back because it finds you creepy and irritating. You tumble headlong in, because effort.
3.) Make a valiant effort, but still fall in the pit because you're a do-nothing pointless sadbrain.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the choose your own adventure mechanic would be scaled back to more of a starfox 64 branching level tree. if you follow the bottom row you find andros' giant head hanging from a noose in his closet beneath venom.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Shadoer posted:

You know, I kinda wonder this myself. Kotaku and Rock Paper Shotgun have an invested interest in trying to maintain their reputations, and a bunch of other journalists that have written on it can be hand waved away as being "lazy". However you'd think one of the other major game journalists sites would take the opportunity to knee cap their competition. Like the story and opportunity to do it is right there and none of the big players are taking it at all.

It seems like the whole professional game journalism community is tiny. Like, order of a few dozen people. And they all seem to hang out in IRC or something.

The scandal hits. Instantly, there's a handful of people who want this to go away ASAP. It wouldn't take all that many emails to really lock down discussion. Especially since they initially framed it around doxxing and misogyny.

The writers might compete, but it seems like they all know each other and go to the same conferences. A short-term story would get temporary hits. But it would probably get someone harassed/blacklisted for their trouble.

So, a few emails go out. Some people stick up for their friends. A few others don't want to get uninvited to the good parties. And it looks like there's a Grand Conspiracy

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

YES bread posted:

They probably just don't give a poo poo because this is the gamer equivalent of celebrity gossip. It's hilarious but also trashy and not real news, like which AAA shootmans is going to be GOTY

Gawker is all about celebrity gossip. So are the other sites. Gossip gets them tons of views for minimal effort.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

YES bread posted:

Right but you'd think a lot of progressive sites/blogs would want to post about the whole consent and gaslighting thing the boyfriend brought up. Like there was a hayday on the whole cards against humanity guy over the possibility of rape and this case had confirmed screenshots of someone admitting by their own definition they raped their boyfriend. And honestly it's an academically sensible definition, Swedish courts attempted (or I guess you could say are attempting) to use it against Assange. I don't really think it's a legal crime but she's basically a morally repugnant person who's internet famous enough to report on and I'm confident if it was a dude it would be more than just discussion boards talking about it.

There's a story that practically writes itself here and is an interesting read (as can be seen by how much buzz it's getting) and yet no one is taking it up.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 25, 2014

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
there's no conspiracy it's literally "my friend's friend did something really stupid and it's blowing up in her face, but if we keep in quiet we'll nip it in the bud. don't want my friend to be upset with me".

the problem is it ended up being a very stupid idea

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

ArbitraryC posted:

Right but you'd think a lot of progressive sites/blogs would want to post about the whole consent and gaslighting thing the boyfriend brought up. Like there was a hayday on the whole cards against humanity guy over the possibility of rape and this case had confirmed screenshots of someone admitting by their own definition they raped their boyfriend. And honestly it's an academically sensible definition, Swedish courts attempted (or I guess you could say are attempting) to use it against Assange. I don't really think it's a legal crime but she's basically a morally repugnant person who's internet famous enough to report on and I'm confident if it was a dude it would be more than just discussion boards talking about it.

There's a story that practically writes itself here and is an interesting read (as can be seen by how much buzz it's getting) and yet no one is taking it up.

Cheating on someone isn't rape, it's just rude

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Pleasant Friend posted:

Cheating on someone isn't rape, it's just rude

Not according to Zoe Quinn.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Minorkos posted:

it's basically a bunch of children repeating the same stupid poo poo over and over again and when someone challenges them, they tell them to go back to tumblr or reddit

also they like to post graphs of black people crime rates in the US

so its sa

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Shadoer posted:

Guess who's definition of rape matters the least in this case.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Shadoer posted:

What she thinks and what's an academically sensible definition are two different things.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

Cucked boyfriend and Cards Against Humanity guy are both cis white hetero male scum. Zoe is not cis white hetero male scum. It's different for her. For reasons.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Guess who's definition of rape matters the least in this case.

In what case? In the case of "progressive" sites and blogs that probably share the same moonbeam opinions as Zoe Quinn?

...who loving knows? They'll probably say that we're raping her right now.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Junkfist posted:

In what case? In the case of "progressive" sites and blogs that probably share the same moonbeam opinions as Zoe Quinn?

P.much.

Maybe not rape, but just mentioning that the scandal exists is apparently an act of extreme harassment and misogyny.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

Switch the genders and it'd work. Unfortunately, I think the current story goes against too many expectations to work.

The SJW-types could go for the philosophy. But you'd be asking them to accept a man's story of abuse. And you're saying that an internet-harassed woman is the villain. You might get away with one of those. But both seems like too much.

I'd expect the anti-SJW-types are less rigid about gender roles. But I can't see them going for the broad definition of 'informed consent' that you'd need for the argument.

It's too bad, since I think that would be an interesting piece to read. And the "can consent be contingent on implicit promises?" problem is interesting. Hopefully I'm wrong and someone will write the thing.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Junkfist posted:

literally the only places i've ever seen people claiming that rape occurred, or that that dumb definition of it matters at all, are sa and reddit.

making light of rape because someone else has a bad definition of it is pretty gross, and there are countless other ways of criticizing what zoe said or did without making yourself look like a big idiot. theres even a word for people who do poo poo that directly contradicts with poo poo they said they believed; it isn't "rapist" though.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 25, 2014

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

A Yolo Wizard posted:

literally the only places i've ever seen people claiming that rape occurred, or that that dumb definition of it matters at all, are sa and reddit.

making light of rape because someone else has a bad definition of it is pretty gross, and there are countless other ways of criticizing what zoe said or did without making yourself look like a big idiot

I don't know. "That person saw their actions as rape -- and chose them anyway" seems like a pretty solid criticism.

shinymodem
May 21, 2007
Here's a game journalist who decided to mention it, and he's known for wearing a fedora, and he thinks everyone on both sides is dumb, the perfect storm of smug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz1FZpWHMgE

Starts around 11:30

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

A Yolo Wizard posted:

making light of rape because someone else has a bad definition of it is pretty gross, and there are countless other ways of criticizing what zoe said or did without making yourself look like a big idiot

Zoe Quinn is, literally, by her own definition, a habitual unrepentant rapist.

That is not me calling Zoe Quinn a rapist.

Or saying that Zoe Quinn is a literal rapist.

That is Zoe Quinn being a rapist according to Zoe Quinn's crazy-person standard of rape.

And unlike rape I actually do think that's funny.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

Junkfist posted:

Zoe Quinn is, literally, by her own definition, a habitual unrepentant rapist.

That is not me calling Zoe Quinn a rapist.

Or saying that Zoe Quinn is a literal rapist.

That is Zoe Quinn being a rapist according to Zoe Quinn's crazy-person standard of rape.

And unlike rape I actually do think that's funny.

The things she rails against is what she's become. Almost the perfect ending. Almost.

We just need Phil Fish to kill himself and I'll be 100% done with this thread. Story, literally over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If SA is also a bad guy in all this, who gets to be gaming Hitler? We gotta make sure our team is ready for this stuff.

• Locked thread