Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
That's Holden? I call bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anomandaris
Apr 3, 2010
http://www.thewrap.com/steven-strait-shohreh-aghdashloo-cast-in-syfy-space-opera-the-expanse/

quote:

Strait plays Holden, an officer on the ice-carrying freighter the Canterbury. Though a natural leader, he's not sure he wants responsibility. He's soon forced to lead when he's drawn into a dangerous plot.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Anomandaris posted:

The guy they cast for Holden really looks the part (though he is a little too young). And by "looks the part" I mean he really looks like an annoying idealistic prick that everybody will want to punch:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1711829/

Yeah, this guy looks like he's a pretty good fit for a self-important, but well-meaning idealistic prick.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
The dedication at the end of Causal Angel made me a little :smith::

quote:

The sadly absent Iain Banks, with a quiet toast, for showing me and an entire generation of writers the way.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

fookolt posted:

The dedication at the end of Causal Angel made me a little :smith::

Best part of the ending right there.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I'm halfway through Prince of Thorns. This isn't as bad as I expected. The IN THE YEAR 40 000 THERE IS ONLY WAR grim darkness is a little over the top, but the story moves along at a quick pace, obeying most of being technically good at writing. It's short.

It's not a great book, but it's definitely readable and above a lot of fantasy. I'm waiting to see where he goes with the characters, as I doubt being a prolific murderer/rapist is the end of this.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
So Echopraxia, the sort-of-sequel to Blindsight, comes out tomorrow. Watts himself is in Russia at present, but his new website is up anyway, with some secondary material relevant to the new book. Does anyone know a decent place to get it online? Amazon has a Kindle version listed, but not actually for sale, and I'm kind of leery about going elsewhere. I know Watts puts all of his stuff online for free, but is there some sort of waiting period on that? God I can't wait for this book.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Krazyface posted:

So Echopraxia, the sort-of-sequel to Blindsight, comes out tomorrow. Watts himself is in Russia at present, but his new website is up anyway, with some secondary material relevant to the new book. Does anyone know a decent place to get it online? Amazon has a Kindle version listed, but not actually for sale, and I'm kind of leery about going elsewhere. I know Watts puts all of his stuff online for free, but is there some sort of waiting period on that? God I can't wait for this book.

Unless I'm misreading you, I preordered the Amazon Kindle version with a push of the same button I use for ordering any other book.

http://www.amazon.com/Echopraxia-Peter-Watts-ebook/dp/B00IHCBDJ0

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
I can't even find an Echopraxia listing on Amazon UK.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
"This title is currently not available for purchase.", where the button normally goes. I'm guessing it's some Australia bullshit.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

People really need to say where they are when talking about online buying...

Krazyface posted:

The dead tree might already be available. How desperate are you really?

ed balls balls man posted:

I can't even find an Echopraxia listing on Amazon UK.

UK release is being delayed cos of Firefall or whatever it is.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
You can always add a US address, change your Kindle location, buy the book, and then change your Kindle location back.

Not really sure about how kosher that is though.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

fookolt posted:

You can always add a US address, change your Kindle location, buy the book, and then change your Kindle location back.

Not really sure about how kosher that is though.

It's a gamble. If they notice they'll delete your Kindle library.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

eriktown posted:

[citation needed]

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

eriktown posted:

There have been a couple reported instances on social media. I think they only punish extreme cases, or maybe their tracking isn't very good.

Anomandaris
Apr 3, 2010
That sounds a little extreme, I imagine they would refund you if they actually wanted to block you from reading the books.

I actually did this once (2 years ago) to buy the two Aspect-Emperor books from the UK kindle store (they were not available on the EU store). I changed my address, bought the books, then two or so hours later got an email that I should I either change my address back to EU or I should show them proof I live in the UK. I just changed the address back (but kept the books). Certainly not a "delete all your books" response.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

There was a news story going around a couple of years ago about a woman who claimed to have had her Kindle library deleted by Amazon. According to Amazon, however, you should not lose access to content you already own, even if your account is disabled for violating terms of service.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/oct/22/amazon-wipes-customers-kindle-deletes-account

quote:

Update: Amazon contacted us on 23 October 2012 to say it has posted the following statement on its customer forum: "We would like to clarify our policy on this topic. Account status should not affect any customer's ability to access their library. If any customer has trouble accessing their content, he or she should contact customer service for help."

Lowly fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 26, 2014

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Of course this sort of highlights the fact that when you're dealing with electronic publications staggered release dates across regions are stupid as hell, but that's the world we live in.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
I ordered Echopraxia from Better Read Than Dead (Newtwon, Sydney) and they texted me to pick it up Friday.

It's purdy.

Alternatively try Booktopia if you want to support an Australian retailer.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I just finished Valour (John Gwynne), having read Malice last week and jesus christ this series has so many antagonists and the author seems incredibly reluctant to kill any of them. Minor heroes die left right and centre but antagonists always escape when nobody is looking.

Also protagonists are constantly getting captured/imprisoned which kills the forward momentum in an already long as gently caress book.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
ECHOPRAXIA

IN MY PHONE

SO EXCITE

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I feel like I'm out of things to read. I sit in a lab twice a week with a needle in my arm and have a lot of reading time. I like escapism.

Things I've read and liked:
Malazan
SoIaF
Sanderson
Some Abercrombie
Locke Lamora

Things I've read and sorta liked:
Kingkiller chronicles
Other Abercrombie

Things I've read because I've had nothing else:
Prism series book 1
Currently reading furies of Calderon book 1
Lev Grossman's magicians books 1 and 2
Wool, Dust

Things I've tried to read but just cant:
Wheel of time
Stephen Kings Dark Tower
Black Company
Super-demon-rape-second-apocalypse thing...can't recall the name of it.
Dresden book 1

Any recommendations on things I might like based on the lists above?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That's kind of a tough order. I'm not seeing a lot of things that you liked that aren't also really similar to the things you don't like. Can you be more specific about why you liked them?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Phummus posted:

Gemmell.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah based on list of things you liked my first two recommendations were going to be Wheel of Time (since you like Sanderson) and Black Company (since you like darker fantasy), and those are on your bad list.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 26, 2014

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Phummus posted:

I feel like I'm out of things to read. I sit in a lab twice a week with a needle in my arm and have a lot of reading time. I like escapism.

KJ Parker maybe. They write in a setting that's vaguely fantasy (sometimes not really even fantasy) notRome, with a narrator that's always somewhat cynical with dry humor.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Phummus posted:

Super-demon-rape-second-apocalypse thing...can't recall the name of it.
The Second Apocalypse :cheeky:

Phummus posted:

The Steel Remains

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

taser rates posted:

KJ Parker maybe. They write in a setting that's vaguely fantasy (sometimes not really even fantasy) notRome, with a narrator that's always somewhat cynical with dry humor.

KJ Parker writes the darkest fantasy of all

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Wheel of time was just TOO slow and plodding. Pleanty of build up and no payoff...ever.

I just couldn't get into black company. It might have been the perspective from which it was written...can't put my finger on it really.

Didn't like the second apocalypse because it was horrible when it came to all the demon rape.

I thought grossman's characters were not at all likable.

I liked Malazan up to the treatment of Hetan

I like sanderson because its light escapism and creative.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Phummus posted:

I like sanderson because its light escapism and creative.
That's easy, then, so long as you aren't overly concerned about quality writing. Check out pretty much everything on the left side of that big flowchart in the OP, except for Sword of Truth because that's just loving awful. Terry Pratchett is also light and humorous and actually really good in every sense, so that's worth trying.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Lawrence Watt-Evans is pretty good. Interesting take on fantasy, and most of the books are pretty good. Only 2 stinkers in the entire series.

Not overly grim dark, and I can't think of a single instance of rape.

The Palace Job is pretty good. Patrick Weekes wrote it.

Decent noir fantasy would be the 20 palaces series by Harry Connolly.

Over the last few months I have read a lot of "D&D players get sucked into game" fantasy, and I gotta say the Critical Failures series had me laughing pretty hard. It's pretty much sophomoric humor but it's pretty god damned funny.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 26, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Not overly grim dark, and I can't think of a single instance of rape.
It says way too much about the genre that this is even a distinguishing feature.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Eh, that's just sci fi or "Anything written by a guy" mostly. Some people can't figure out how to put female characters into situations where they overcome something without it being rape related.

It's basically the easiest and laziest form of writing.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

taser rates posted:

Many of these are technically in the same setting but usually separated by a lot of geography and history.

All together there's been at least two or three different notByzantiums, I think. The author has three different trilogies and an increasing number of standalone novels, all of the recent ones seem to be in the same world but I don't think the first trilogy or two can be.

Groke fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 26, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Eh, that's just sci fi or "Anything written by a guy" mostly. Some people can't figure out how to put female characters into situations where they overcome something without it being rape related.

It's basically the easiest and laziest form of writing.
You kinda just repeated what I said, but really, most male authors manage to write books without any rape at all. At least not to the point where it's descriptive of a genre as a whole.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Phummus posted:

Any of Guy Gavriel Kay's non-Fionavar books, Robert Reddick's Chathrand Voyage series, Daniel Abraham's Dagger and Coin series

Have you tried checking out any recent fantasy anthologies? Those can be good for finding authors you haven't heard of before and seeing if you like their writing. Swords and Dark Magic from a few years ago was a good one.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Thanks for all the recommendations. I've read and enjoyed a lot of pratchett and I've read the palace job as well. I liked that one too.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I just started The Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley and it seems potentially good so far. It's probably too new for anyone have much to say about it, but do you? I think the author has written other things that I haven't read.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

The Palace Job is pretty good. Patrick Weekes wrote it.

I didn't really like it, it felt like paint-by-numbers (and no actual rape, just threatened damsel-in-peril rape)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

A couple books that I don't think I've ever seen people talk about are Helen Lowe's "Wall of Night" series, the first two are out and the third's at the publisher.