Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

InterrupterJones posted:

If they did reprint fetches at all, the value of Onslaugnt and maybe even Zendikar fetches wouldn't go down at all. Just look at Ravnica shock lands; some are still around $20 a pop, whereas the new sets stay under $10.

Personally I wouldn't mind reprints. I sold playsets of Zen fetches around 2 years ago, and am still kicking myself about their value these days.

Actually they would. The Ravnica Shocks were well over $20 before RTR and now they average $15 with the RTR Shocks averaging $8.

Things would be similar for Fetches but the prices would still be fairly high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Less than an hour until Maro kills Magic forever.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

InterrupterJones posted:

If they did reprint fetches at all, the value of Onslaugnt and maybe even Zendikar fetches wouldn't go down at all. Just look at Ravnica shock lands; some are still around $20 a pop, whereas the new sets stay under $10.

Personally I wouldn't mind reprints. I sold playsets of Zen fetches around 2 years ago, and am still kicking myself about their value these days.

You mean how say guild pact Steam Vents was $25ish from 8/2011 to 8/2012 and is now $13? Prices won't go down at all like that?

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Guildpact/Steam+Vents#paper

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

LaTex Fetish posted:

yeah they would

I just have trouble believing that they would want to make all the fetch lands available to modern rather than as part of a legacy only product with a limited run.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mcmagic posted:

I just have trouble believing that they would want to make all the fetch lands available to modern rather than as part of a legacy only product with a limited run.

Why would they want to have only half of the fetches available to Modern?

I mean, IIRC this is something they've explicitly talked about as being rather weird and that they want to fix it at some point.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Jabor posted:

I mean, IIRC this is something they've explicitly talked about as being rather weird and that they want to fix it at some point.

There gets to be a point where fixing is too easy, no?

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

mcmagic posted:

it's not like there's legit duals in modern, so there's still a price to pay

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

mcmagic posted:

Yes, it's called "Lorwyn/Time Spiral Standard."
loving Vivid lands and storage lands.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Jabor posted:

Fetches are in a really weird situation. Development has expressed that they want to cut down the amount of shuffling in games and printing fetches in a Standard-legal set runs counter to that. Not to mention that in a format without typed duals or a mechanic like landfall Fetches are kind of sub-par in their role as "dual" lands. At the same time they need a reprint badly and something has to give at some point.

I suppose they could ban the Zendikar fetches in Modern (leaving none instead of half) to address the power-level/deckspeed/shuffling issues they cause in the format and unban other cards like Deathrite Shaman that were broken with them present, but the fallout from the playerbase's expensive lands becoming worthless overnight might not be worth the trouble.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mcmagic posted:

I think it's hard to argue that that point exists between 'having five fetchlands' and 'having ten fetchlands'. If fetches make the fixing too easy, it's because of the basic fetch-dual interaction. Only having five fetches doesn't change that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I'm all for reprinting all of them and making legacy and modern more affordable but you never know what they are going to do...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mcmagic posted:

How would adding allied-colour fetchlands to the format make fixing "too easy"?

Any deck can already run as many fetchlands as they like that are capable of fetching any colour they desire.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Zonekeeper posted:

Fetches are in a really weird situation. Development has expressed that they want to cut down the amount of shuffling in games and printing fetches in a Standard-legal set runs counter to that. Not to mention that in a format without typed duals or a mechanic like landfall Fetches are kind of sub-par in their role as "dual" lands. At the same time they need a reprint badly and something has to give at some point.

I suppose they could ban the Zendikar fetches in Modern (leaving none instead of half) to address the power-level/deckspeed/shuffling issues they cause in the format and unban other cards like Deathrite Shaman that were broken with them present, but the fallout from the playerbase's expensive lands becoming worthless overnight might not be worth the trouble.

If they ban all my Zendikar fetches I will have a sad :(

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Snacksmaniac posted:

Less than an hour until Maro kills Magic forever.

Can't wait until they announce the Scornful Egotist reprint we have all been sitting w/ bated breath in anticipation of.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
The biggest difference with all fetches in modern is decks can run all fetches with both basic types in the deck. Fixing would be a little better, but it's not like you can run infinite fetches. At some point you actually need targets for them.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Kabanaw posted:

The biggest difference with all fetches in modern is decks can run all fetches with both basic types in the deck. Fixing would be a little better, but it's not like you can run infinite fetches. At some point you actually need targets for them.

in legacy usually you run twice as many fetches as there are targets. dont know how it is in modern, but i would say the situation is similar

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

LaTex Fetish posted:

in legacy usually you run twice as many fetches as there are targets. dont know how it is in modern, but i would say the situation is similar

Modern has less use for the shuffle than Legacy does, which might affect things.

e: the Junk deck that won the GP in Worcester before the PT ran 8 fetches and 7 lands with basic types

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

With two burn decks in the Kobe top 8, it looks like Goblin Guide is spiking again. Glad I finally bit the bullet and got my set last month.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

With two burn decks in the Kobe top 8, it looks like Goblin Guide is spiking again. Glad I finally bit the bullet and got my set last month.

I think it's actually going to end up being a 30 dollar card. It's played as a 4 of in both Legacy and Modern Decks and it's just one of the best creatures ever printed.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

The new block format is killing Magic.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Maro's article is up for those of you that didn't know: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mm/metamorphosis

In short, they're eliminating the core set and going to a two-blocks-a-year paradigm (Fall/Winter, Spring/Summer). Standard now rotates every 18 months, so at most there will be three full blocks comprising six sets in standard.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
This is interesting news, although I'm not sure how much I like it. I'm not exactly fussed about Core Sets being eliminated, but it seems weird to have cards be good in Standard for even less time than they are now. In the end, its probably a good thing because we're all crack addicts anyways.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

LaTex Fetish posted:

That is incorrect, except in very rare cases of certain combo decks. The most lopsided fair deck mana-wise (Thresh) runs 8 fetches, 6 targets. Most decks planning on going past turn 3 will run 8-10 fetches in 20-23 lands.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
It's up!

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mm/metamorphosis

- Two blocks per year
- Two sets per block
- NO MORE CORE SETS after Magic 2016
- Standard rotation happens twice per year?
- Standard will be the last three blocks

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Interesting developments there.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Sweet, core sets are going away and I'll never have to look at their ugly mugs ever again.

I'm not incredibly fussed about the block structure, but getting more actual sets per year is good.

(Watch as the usual grognard crowd says "clearly they will make every expert-level set on the same level as the core sets in order to compensate, magic is DED".)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
They actually have gifs that explain it really clearly, someone tranfer these graphic design people to the MODO team stat:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

My response to this is:
Ok.

I mean, it's not that big a change. Currently Standard at its largest consists of two blocks of three sets each, and two core sets, for 8 sets total-- and usually there are 4 big sets (core sets, first sets of a block) and 4 small ones. The new Standard will be the same. It just won't grow and shrink dramatically and suddenly come rotation, just marginally. It'll also change faster, which I like.

I really hope there are grog tears about this somewhere, though.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Two sets per block is AMAZING. I've said for years that I'm bored of the setting after the first two sets, and they keep failing at making both the second and third sets interesting because they're either holding stuff back or trying to do too much. I wish we didn't have to wait until Spring 2016, because I'm excited for these changes now. Faster Standard rotation should keep everything from getting stale, also.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm excited for my new two set Block overlords, and I'm glad it's starting in philosophy if not rotation with Khans.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

My response to this is:
Ok.

I mean, it's not that big a change. Currently Standard at its largest consists of two blocks of three sets each, and two core sets, for 8 sets total-- and usually there are 4 big sets (core sets, first sets of a block) and 4 small ones. The new Standard will be the same. It just won't grow and shrink dramatically and suddenly come rotation, just marginally. It'll also change faster, which I like.

Yeah, overall I think its good news. The only news that's "bad" is that your cards are Standard legal for less time, but let's be honest: that's your head talking and not your crack addict heart that wants to buy more cards.

Transition sounds like its gonna be awkward as gently caress though.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

This is really cool from a design perspective. It's significantly less cool from a "you're going to need to buy elite rares and mythics more often if you want to keep up with standard" perspective.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Isn't this just like Lorwyn/Shadowmoor blocks, just without Core sets now?

Attorney at Funk posted:

This is really cool from a design perspective. It's significantly less cool from a "you're going to need to buy elite rares and mythics more often if you want to keep up with standard" perspective.

It should still be about the same amount of cards per standard, right?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
My only hope is that 18 months of Standard-legality will put a bit more of a ceiling on single prices, as players become a lot more aware of how quickly they'll have to flip them and less willing to drop $40+ on a card that they'll be using for way less time.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I don't play standard, but this looks really cool. What MaRo says is true, three sets is just too much for a block.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I wonder if this is in part due to the fact that the last three blocks have had generally agreed upon crappy single set and two good ones? It might just be easier to put in more quality if the blocks aren't spaced over three sets.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

My response to this is:
Ok.

New Standard will be 3 large and 2-3 small, so the card pool will be a little smaller.

If anything, the biggest complaint that could be had against this is the change from 2-year to 18-month Standard legality of a set. Way back when Standard was created (as Type 2), there were some who disliked it because it seemed like a ploy to force players to have to keep buying new cards all the time. Rotating the sets even faster just makes that even more true, but personally I think the benefits of more settings per year and a faster-changing Standard environment are well worth it.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The only time the third set seems to work well is when the set completely changes the dynamic of the setting. Rise of the Eldrazi, New Phyrexia, Avacyn Restored (almost. I like it some don't).

I like this change. I only really started playing with Theros so I'm not as tired of the 3-Set Blocks as people who've been playing for years are but it really does seem not that great for the most part. This also explains why Louie will be a completely different thing and why Khan's isn't completely Wedge Block.

Also:

Tears for Fears reference in the development Set Names. I'm in love.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 25, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Attorney at Funk posted:

If enough people really complained I doubt its a real problem to just expand to 4 blocks. I think they're just seeing what the feedback is like now when its so far off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
So Tarkir's draft structure actually acts as a transition into the new 2 set paradigm.

I think this is really exciting! 2 sets a years sounds amazing.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 25, 2014

• Locked thread