Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Doctor Cave posted:

I joined the Vinyl Junkies facebook group after you mentioned it in the past, thanks for linking it! You make some cool posts there.

No prob, and thanks! I love VJ, too, although I *might* like Now Playing a bit more. It's a little more geared toward underground music; for every Led Zep or Black Sabbath that gets posted on VJ, a Swell Maps or Nurse with Wound gets posted on NP. The only thing about NP is that it's harder to join; you have to be added by someone who is already in the group. If you try to send a request on your own, not only will not be allowed in, but the admin sometimes blocks you! Not sure why he does that, as he seems like a really nice guy otherwise, but that's what he does.

If anyone wants to join NP, feel free to send me a FB friend request (if you're on VJ, you probably know who I am now, ha!) and I'll try to add you. If you don't actually want to be FB friends, you can always un-friend me afterwards. My feelings wouldn't be hurt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Yoooooo it's here.

http://www.numerogroup.com/products/bedhead-1992-1998

(for preorder)

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

izationalizer posted:

No prob, and thanks! I love VJ, too, although I *might* like Now Playing a bit more. It's a little more geared toward underground music; for every Led Zep or Black Sabbath that gets posted on VJ, a Swell Maps or Nurse with Wound gets posted on NP. The only thing about NP is that it's harder to join; you have to be added by someone who is already in the group. If you try to send a request on your own, not only will not be allowed in, but the admin sometimes blocks you! Not sure why he does that, as he seems like a really nice guy otherwise, but that's what he does.

If anyone wants to join NP, feel free to send me a FB friend request (if you're on VJ, you probably know who I am now, ha!) and I'll try to add you. If you don't actually want to be FB friends, you can always un-friend me afterwards. My feelings wouldn't be hurt!

Heh, I tried to join Now Playing when you posted it along with VJ, but never heard anything. That explains it. I will send you an FB request right now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
There's some new Goblin reissues and Death Waltz got a small quantity of them and are selling them on their site. Act quickly, however, because all of them have very low availability. I managed to get the last copy of Roller.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Blast Fantasto posted:

This is my favorite free automotive-related record:

Proud to own Stan the Man's Hit Record.

My pop has a copy of this that he got signed by Stan in Houston during his last season.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

CPL593H posted:

There's some new Goblin reissues and Death Waltz got a small quantity of them and are selling them on their site. Act quickly, however, because all of them have very low availability. I managed to get the last copy of Roller.

Dude, I love Tyler. I'm so on this.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
Some of you probably already know about this, but I just learned something that I thought was interesting* from one of those FB groups: the "tax scam" record phenomenon of 1976-78. Fascinating stuff, IMHO. It makes me want to try to collect some of these things!

* I learned about it from this guy, to be exact. He has one of the most interesting record collections I've ever seen. All sorts of rare, oddball stuff.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 14, 2014

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

:clint: Big Iron, motherfuckers. :clint:

This was my consolation prize from the discogs screwup over my missing Bitches Brew record. Really good shape for being circa 1959. Makes me nostalgic of running from hunting cazadores in the Mojave Wasteland.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

thats a really good record

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Ballz posted:

:clint: Big Iron, motherfuckers. :clint:

This was my consolation prize from the discogs screwup over my missing Bitches Brew record. Really good shape for being circa 1959. Makes me nostalgic of running from hunting cazadores in the Mojave Wasteland.

Best Country Western album of all time imo, Check out "More Gunfighter Ballad and Trail Songs" as well if you can find it. It's pretty much more of the same but in a good way.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

izationalizer posted:

I posted the exact same post (verbatim!) on both of the music-posting-related Facebook groups I'm in, and it stirred a minor controversy today!

Some people thought that I shouldn't reveal the source, because a.) a bunch of people might nag the poor guy for free records (there are 16,000+ people in these groups combined), and/or b.) the self-preserving (read: scummy?) record collector has every right not to divulge their super-secret "hunting grounds."

On the other hand, some people thought I was a dickhead for not revealing the source, because I at least owe it to the guy to help his business by channeling potential new customers toward him. I thought this was an excellent point, although this particular contingent got a little snarky; within a span of 30 min., I was referred to as "selfish," "douchey," and "dishonorable!"

I've thought about it, and while I probably won't reveal the source to the FB groups (although I did reveal it to several people via PM), I'll reveal it here, because you guys seem cool, and I trust you not to expect free records from the guy.

I will say this, though: the guy's prices are all over the drat place, and most of the records are actually overpriced (some of them are waaay overpriced). I have no idea what the logic--if any--behind it is. I've also scoured this site with a fine tooth comb; I literally looked at every record on the site. I pretty much picked it clean last year re: the amazing scores (the records I got today were priced more as just "decent deals."). So I doubt there's that much left that's worth springing for, although there certainly could be great stuff that I missed.

Also, if you think anything is overpriced, just make the guy an offer. He was gonna give me a deal on an Eno LP that I thought was overpriced. Of course, he ended up giving me a much better deal (i.e., free)!

Anyway, here it is. Good luck!

Oh, and one other thing: Curiously, the Eno and Miles Davis records I got are still listed on the site, while the Bowie is not. Not sure if this means he has multiple copies or what.

For whoever wants it (and trusts this site) there's a copy up for The Dark Knight soundtrack for 30 bucks.

I thought that was rare? Or was that just the bwwwwooooooaaaaappppps of Inception?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

For whoever wants it (and trusts this site) there's a copy up for The Dark Knight soundtrack for 30 bucks.

I thought that was rare? Or was that just the bwwwwooooooaaaaappppps of Inception?

I dunno, it doesn't say anything about being 2 180g LPs, and that's not the cover of what the expensive one looks like. I feel like I should still pick it up though...

AvidAcid
May 30, 2004

oh christ
This is my new record, really pleased with how came out both musically and presentation wise.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
I dunno if any of y'all caught any of the drama over Light In The Attic reissuing Lewis' record, then a second album surfacing, and then the actual artist (who was thought to be lost forever) being found, but it's a seriously unbelievable story. There's a 120-page thread on Hipinion covering the whole saga which is immensely recommended reading front to back if you like stories of internet detective-ing.

Both albums are awesome; here are Spotify links to the first one and the second one. LITA is also not going to be pressing any more copies after the current batch sells out in accordance with the artist's wishes to remain private, so if you want a copy, now's the time to jump.

(And as usual, I have to represent for LITA's subscription model being one of the absolute best presents I've ever bought myself as a record nerd; it is TOTALLY worth the money.)

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Still wish they'd used the alt cover.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

Need to buy that Lewis record. Your post reminded me of this, trdn89, so thanks for that!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

One thing I should've mentioned about that site: Not only is it rather wonky--one of my friends just tried to order some stuff from there, but the order (unsurprisingly) didn't go through--but the guy who runs it is in the process of moving, so he isn't checking his email inbox very regularly. That being said, calling him on the phone is probably the best way to contact him. His number is in the "contact" section of the website.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Feels good to have this in my hands.

nadabolt
May 17, 2009
comin at ya with another steamy batch of weak poo poo

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
That Cherubs LP rips. ALso that Spike in Vain LP and also the rest of it. GOod poo poo.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
That Dicks LP is fantastic!

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

Defleshed posted:

That Dicks LP is fantastic!

It really is! I want either an OG or the official reissue, preferably the former. I un-fortuitously bought the crappy-sounding bootleg right before it got officially reissued.

Also essential: the "Hate the Police" 7".

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

izationalizer posted:

And the Peace? 7".

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
and cottage cheese from the lips of death
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIG0F2ryPFM

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

And while we're at it: They also have two live albums: the "Ten Inches" 10" and a split LP with the Big Boys, "Recorded Live at Raul's Club." Both are supposedly good, but I haven't heard either of them, unfortunately. The latter is quite expensive, too. :(

I haven't heard the "These People" LP, either, so I can't comment on that.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I haven't combed through it yet, but a few pages of browsing shows there are some pretty good deals in this Insound 50% off sale.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone here have a copy of Eyes like the Sky by King Gizzard they'd want to part with for some good amount of cash?

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

iluvpr0n posted:

I haven't combed through it yet, but a few pages of browsing shows there are some pretty good deals in this Insound 50% off sale.

Their site was crushed yesterday from all the traffic and a lot of the listed 50% off inventory is now on backorder. I ordered three albums and just now received an e-mail that only two are being processed for shipment. I doubt that any orders for backordered items will be honored.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

izationalizer posted:

It really is! I want either an OG or the official reissue, preferably the former. I un-fortuitously bought the crappy-sounding bootleg right before it got officially reissued.

Yeah I snagged an official reissue and it gets heavy rotation. I'd never even heard of them until moving to central Texas.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Insound is a pretty terrible site.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

izationalizer posted:

And while we're at it: They also have two live albums: the "Ten Inches" 10" and a split LP with the Big Boys, "Recorded Live at Raul's Club." Both are supposedly good, but I haven't heard either of them, unfortunately. The latter is quite expensive, too. :(

here you go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzdrwalkqeA

I bought a sealed copy of this several years ago for $30. Of course I immediately cracked it open and played it.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

Here's a copy of the "Blue Sunshine" OST on Mondo for $19.90 or best offer. Black vinyl. I just checked the completed listings, and I'm puzzled by the prices; a black vinyl copy recently sold for $80, while another went unsold at $24.99. So I dunno, you guys probably know better than me whether or not this is a good deal. $19.90 (or less, if they accept an offer) does seem to be as cheap as it gets, though.

Wilbur Swain posted:

here you go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzdrwalkqeA

I bought a sealed copy of this several years ago for $30. Of course I immediately cracked it open and played it.

Thanks for this! I actually looked for it on YouTube myself, but I couldn't find it for some reason.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Big Boys tracks from it are also included on the Skinny Elvis comp (which is CD/Digital only, not vinyl, but everything on both Skinny Elvis and Fat Elvis is essential)

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Pre-orders for the new Bruce Lee Band LP are up. First pressing is 500 copies on black vinyl, first 300 get a free poster.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Are the Hollywood Records vinyl pressings of Queen albums as bad as I assume they are?

I'm in a culture dead zone without a single record shop within 100 miles (and it's a bad one) and have had this strange desire to listen to Flick of the Wrist on my record player. There's copies on Amazon for a decent price, but I can't sort the reviews for vinyl only.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Are the Hollywood Records vinyl pressings of Queen albums as bad as I assume they are?

I'm in a culture dead zone without a single record shop within 100 miles (and it's a bad one) and have had this strange desire to listen to Flick of the Wrist on my record player. There's copies on Amazon for a decent price, but I can't sort the reviews for vinyl only.

Just buy an old pressing on Discogs. It'll be way cheaper and you don't have to worry about questionable masters.

CrapFish
May 11, 2004

Never stop posting
Record Roundup for today

Whitesnake
Sage Francis - Makeshift Patriot EP
Com Truise - In Decay
Digable Planets - Blowout Comb
Demented are Go - Kicked out of Hell

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

There's a vinyl sale happening on the Best Buy website right now. $35 order total gets you free shipping.

I'm sapped after my recent vacation, but I thought $10.99 was too good a price to pass up on for 36 Chambers.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

There's a vinyl sale happening on the Best Buy website right now. $35 order total gets you free shipping.

I'm sapped after my recent vacation, but I thought $10.99 was too good a price to pass up on for 36 Chambers.

Good looking out, there's a pretty varied assortment of stuff in this sale. I also picked up 36 Chambers and Madlib's Shades of Blue for ten bucks.

I wanted free shipping so I then went and got the 3DS Paper Mario for $25 :v:

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Ballz posted:

Good looking out, there's a pretty varied assortment of stuff in this sale. I also picked up 36 Chambers and Madlib's Shades of Blue for ten bucks.

I wanted free shipping so I then went and got the 3DS Paper Mario for $25 :v:

I probably should have done a better job selling the sale (there really is a lot to like for about $10/record). Glad you found something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

More recent pickups....

- White Noise - "An Electric Storm" LP (pink rim Island UK pressing)
- Selda Bağcan - "Selda" LP (reissue)
- Max Romeo & the Upsetters - "War Ina Babylon LP (OG US)
- John Cale - "Paris 1919" LP (German pressing)
- Owen Maercks - "Teenage Sex Therapist" LP (Reissue of 1978 LP; this is an ultra-obscure one, but it's a killer record!)
- Joy Division - "Unknown Pleasures" LP (OG UK "porky prime cut" w/ textured cover and rounded inner)
- Glenn Branca - "The Ascension" LP (OG on 99 Records)
- Descendants - "Milo Goes to College" LP (OG on New Alliance)
- Suede - "Dog Man Star" LP (Demon reissue)
- Suede - S/T LP (Demon reissue)
- The Red Krayola - "The Parable of Arable Land" LP (reissue)