Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

ItalicSquirrels posted:

My wife's office does business with Puerto Rico and apparently one of her managers was bemoaning that the Puerto Rican offices were incredibly slow at getting paperwork and forms returned and complained that no other offices (all within the continental US) took so long with the exact same forms. My wife asked, "Did you send them a version in Spanish?"

Apparently my wife solved a 20 year old problem and the Puerto Rican offices are getting their paperwork returned in time.

I love this and am in no way surprised. I'm sure I'll do something like this one day...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Poop Cupcake posted:

I once had to work with the county to make some brochures about the GED program, and they gave me a whole list of colors that I couldn't use because "it might be offensive to people from other cultures". Not allowed to use white or black because they could represent death, red was 'too aggressive', green was off limits for some dumb reason, blue wasn't allowed either, etc. They were extremely serious about this and were unwilling to budge about it at all when I explained that the only colors we had left to work with were purple and orange.

I take it they'd never heard of the Orange Order? Seriously, that's a colour that can get you kneecapped in some parts of the world.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
One of our supervisors known for making poo poo up as he goes along to make him look better told off someone on the overnight shift for being too informal because he addressed the manager of a different department in the same business unit by her first name. Oh noooooooooooooo how dare he do such a terrible thing.

We see this woman on a daily basis, her office is directly adjacent to my manager's office, and her department sits directly behind us. She doesn't give a flying gently caress what people call her. This supervisor just loves drama and does everything in his power to stir it up and make his shift look better than the others. Hell, I argue sports with my VP and I once challenged him to a duel for his corner office. When my VP calls me, my response is "Hey what's up Bob." Where his name is Robert (different name but akin to that) because we're a casual office and this has never been an issue in the past. Of course my Manager won't make a statement on the matter because he somehow accomplishes to be less involved with the department than when we have no manager at all.

My job would be so much better if this supervisor got hit by a bus.

I'll even drive it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That kind of bullshit makes me really glad for the first-name policy we have. Got to start an email to the CTO as "Hi [Name]", and we've got thousands of employees and aren't a stupid SV startup.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

mobby_6kl posted:

That kind of bullshit makes me really glad for the first-name policy we have. Got to start an email to the CTO as "Hi [Name]", and we've got thousands of employees and aren't a stupid SV startup.

Really it's this one guy playing games where he makes poo poo up on the spot then gets mad at the employees for not knowing the new rule he just invented. Of course he refuses to put any of it in writing because then he'd need the support of manager to make it official. (Or more likely, is trying to keep it hidden from our manager).

He'll never actually be able to do anything to us since he never puts any of it in writing, but that doesn't stop it from being frustrating to deal with.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

Swink posted:

A director of my company says 'pacifically' in place of 'specifically'.

When he started the news spread like some urban legend. I didn't believe it till I heard it for myself. We have competitions to try and make him say it during meetings.

Bonus if you get him to say spaghetti.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Who the gently caress uses anything other than first names anyway?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

CelestialScribe posted:

Who the gently caress uses anything other than first names anyway?

Pretty much my office and most of the companies I deal with use last names. Its really great because Microsoft Outlook only auto populates the email To: field by typing the letters to the first name. Thanks IT!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
That's weird. What industry are you in? I've worked in Mortgage and Insurance and we've only ever used first names. Hell, I call the CEO at my current company by his first name.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Its due to the prevailing country culture there. Its not a US based corp, but a branch office in the US. Honestly after a year or two I got completely used to it to the point where I'd completely forget about it except for that drat Outlook niggle.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We use last names when speaking to customers and talking to the CEO, first names for everyone else.

CEO is a multi-millionaire though so he's not a real human being. He takes a helicopter to work every day.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

A good half of the management team at my company has the same first name, so they often get called by their last names for that reason only.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Calling someone by just their last name is a lot different than having to say "Mr. Lastname", though. I assumed that's what the person that complained would have preferred.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006
Wait do people actually call each other Mr./Ms./Mrs <XYZ> when passing each other in the hallways in some companies? (In the US?)

I just did a thought experiment to see how it would work out at my company and ended up laughing uncontrollably at how absurd that would be. Even the dinosaur C-squite execs get called by their first names and prefer it that way. Even the stuffy CFO whose shirt is starched to the level of diamond on the Mohr scale, who is such a crusty bastard that your rear end in a top hat automatically tightens up as soon as it gauges the level of uptightness upon walking in his office, goes by his first name.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
At my old job a lot of people went by last names since our cubes were labeled with only a first initial and last name and there were a ton of repeat first names since it was a huge company.

I have never encountered anyone calling anyone else Mr./Mrs./Ms. except for addressing the CEO. That's just weird.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

seacat posted:

Wait do people actually call each other Mr./Ms./Mrs <XYZ> when passing each other in the hallways in some companies? (In the US?)

I only do it ironically, to people I'm good friends with.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
"Nice work, Higgens!"

Feels like a parody.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Starting my first salaried job today. I'm excited and apprehensive.

I'm not used to working past 5 either. I don't know if I'll have to do that every day, but it is taking some mental adjustment to give up my idea of work being exactly 40 hours a week. But hey, I've got a job and I'm glad to have it.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Radio Talmudist posted:

I'm not used to working past 5 either. I don't know if I'll have to do that every day, but it is taking some mental adjustment to give up my idea of work being exactly 40 hours a week. But hey, I've got a job and I'm glad to have it.

If you get there extra early you don't have to work late! :pseudo:

(Don't be that guy who gets in at 5 and peaces out at 2, everyone hates that guy)

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Radio Talmudist posted:

That was the hardest thing for me. Sitting and concentrating for 10+ hours while wearing work clothes. It was really tough at first.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

(Don't be that guy who gets in at 5 and peaces out at 2, everyone hates that guy)

Everyone wishes they could be that guy. I would love to be that guy but a) I am not a morning person and b) I am 3 hours ahead of my office.

Being a 2am-11am guy would rule, though.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Most of my team is 5 or 6 AM to early afternoon. I'm 10-7:30. Luckily, my boss aligns with my schedule so I don't look like that big of a slacker.

I get that it's nice to have an afternoon and get work out of the way, but it's also nice to not wake up while it's still dark.

StdNormDist
May 2, 2010
Our annual company-wide survey is happening right now and I'm waffling between answering honestly or not at all. I like my manager as a person but she's a big part of why I took another job and my answers aren't going to be very favorable to her.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

StdNormDist posted:

Our annual company-wide survey is happening right now and I'm waffling between answering honestly or not at all. I like my manager as a person but she's a big part of why I took another job and my answers aren't going to be very favorable to her.

I would either not answer or I would give some vague answer about it moving on growth etc because you might need her a connection in the future. The best feedback I've given and received has been "off the record" in a relaxed setting where you don't fling around accusations and scream at each other. If you really want to leave your boss a better dept. you'd have to have a difficult talk with her. Whether or not it's worth your time is up to you.

TBH I've never heard any stories of those survey (and exit interviews for that matter) ever affecting anything in a positive way for any employee or the company. My professional career at this point is like 6-something years so if anyone wants to bring a ray of hope to my jadedness I'd welcome it.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

seacat posted:

I would either not answer or I would give some vague answer about it moving on growth etc because you might need her a connection in the future. The best feedback I've given and received has been "off the record" in a relaxed setting where you don't fling around accusations and scream at each other. If you really want to leave your boss a better dept. you'd have to have a difficult talk with her. Whether or not it's worth your time is up to you.

TBH I've never heard any stories of those survey (and exit interviews for that matter) ever affecting anything in a positive way for any employee or the company. My professional career at this point is like 6-something years so if anyone wants to bring a ray of hope to my jadedness I'd welcome it.

No day of light, but if love to hear how it worked in a negative manner. I figured those surveys were always anonymous or thrown into the round file.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

seacat posted:

No sunshine here. The last time I answered an anonymous survey honestly was at a previous job. While the individual answers were anonymous, the group answers in aggregate were not. Since my group had low survey scores, we had punishment meetings for weeks where our director was very confrontational and we were asked why we answered certain questions the way we did.

To be sure, you may be able to say that you are working too much, or there is too much stress, but be wary of saying that you have no confidence in management, or anything that directly relates to a person in power.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

If you get there extra early you don't have to work late! :pseudo:

Don't listen to this guy. If your manager is ok with it, work whatever schedule is best for you.

Poop Cupcake
Dec 31, 2005

modeski posted:

I worked at an agency for a while and customers would pull this poo poo all the time. Usually when I explained the cost of getting proper translations done they'd end up sticking with English only.
This is exactly what ended up happening. Granted it took waaaay too much time and effort to even explain why this was a problem. They said they would get an actual translator, but afaik they're still using English only brochures. A friend of mine speaks multiple languages, and people tried to rope him into translating poo poo all the time. No, gently caress you, hire an actual translator and not just some dude you know.

feedmegin posted:

I take it they'd never heard of the Orange Order? Seriously, that's a colour that can get you kneecapped in some parts of the world.
Nope. They weren't concerned about anything from Europe. But oh god please don't give them any ideas. The next poor design sucker they're going to rope into doing material for them is only going to be allowed to work in taupe and chartreuse because anything else would be too scandalous.

I'm 8:30-5:30, but my boss frequently comes in at 2-3 in the afternoon and will stay until 9 or 10. I leave at 5:30, but my Indian co-workers are expected to stay until their boss leaves. Consequently I end up looking lazy because I leave 'early' compared to when they do. :rolleyes:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
If I waited until my boss left to go home, I'd never actually get to leave.

quote:

No sunshine here. The last time I answered an anonymous survey honestly was at a previous job. While the individual answers were anonymous, the group answers in aggregate were not. Since my group had low survey scores, we had punishment meetings for weeks where our director was very confrontational and we were asked why we answered certain questions the way we did.

This matches my experience at my last two companies as well, but I'd also add another caveat. Often, your direct manager is held responsible for the survey results of his or her group. Negative answers directed at senior management / overall corporate culture will both never get addressed AND will probably get your manager hammered at review time instead.

If your problems are actually honest-to-god problems with your manager, go hog-wild on the negative feedback. If they're above your manager's level, though, you're probably just going to throw a perfectly adequate manager (yours) under the bus because the VPs and Senior Directors you're pissed at can do no wrong.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Don't listen to this guy. If your manager is ok with it, work whatever schedule is best for you.

It comes down to your individual job. If you're in a highly collaborative environment and leave your coworkers hanging for the last 3 hours of the day then they'll get pissed off. At my old job everyone worked 7:30-4:30 except the guy whose job it was to release drawings into our system who worked 5-2 every day so if you finished your drawing by 3 the day it was due you couldn't release it until the next day and you'd get a hit on your performance review for releasing late even though you had it done on time. It was exceptionally frustrating.

I work 7-3:30. I'm here during normal business hours but I get home in time to do stuff like going to the post office and if I have to do OT I'm not here super late.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If it's a role with that kind of dependency, that guy's manager should have forced him to the accepted company hours.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I always answer our supposed "anonymous" surveys pretty honestly. I'm not going to give a false answer about a bad manager or co-worker simply because I may need their connections later. Doing otherwise creates the vicious circle of how shitheels keep getting promoted in spite of being terrible at their jobs.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
It makes me feel better to see how many of you guys work past 5. I know it sounds juvenile, but I have this silly feeling that by working later, I'm missing out. On what? Who knows. I guess I was born for the french workday, but I live in the United States so I've got to deal. On the plus, I'm not bored here, which is a relief.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

If you are not honest about bad management, she will drive off more people. The company does not want that because recruitment and training is expensive.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Radio Talmudist posted:

It makes me feel better to see how many of you guys work past 5. I know it sounds juvenile, but I have this silly feeling that by working later, I'm missing out. On what? Who knows. I guess I was born for the french workday, but I live in the United States so I've got to deal. On the plus, I'm not bored here, which is a relief.

Even though I feel pressured to stay later than I do, when I show up at the parking lot in the morning it's empty, and when I leave in the afternoon it's pretty much empty too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I roll in early and I roll out... averageish for my company or slightly later. But my day is my own, I just have to accomplish my overall strategic objectives. (If I stopped posting on the forums I could probably shave 10/15 minutes off my work day)

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Sundae posted:

If I waited until my boss left to go home, I'd never actually get to leave.

This matches my experience at my last two companies as well, but I'd also add another caveat. Often, your direct manager is held responsible for the survey results of his or her group. Negative answers directed at senior management / overall corporate culture will both never get addressed AND will probably get your manager hammered at review time instead.

If your problems are actually honest-to-god problems with your manager, go hog-wild on the negative feedback. If they're above your manager's level, though, you're probably just going to throw a perfectly adequate manager (yours) under the bus because the VPs and Senior Directors you're pissed at can do no wrong.

This exactly. The questions about management were directly related to our manager, despite the fact they they were things like 'I approve of the direction this company is going" which she had no control over. The fact was that the company at the time was laying off US folks and hiring inexperienced people in "low cost geographies" so we sure as hell did not approve of that. Our manager got slammed for not being able to convince us that layoffs were a positive thing.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Well its finally happened...I got a job offer related to what I'm going to school for, so it looks like I'll be out of the corporate world in 2 weeks.

I'm scared to death but excited at least.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

It comes down to your individual job. If you're in a highly collaborative environment and leave your coworkers hanging for the last 3 hours of the day then they'll get pissed off. At my old job everyone worked 7:30-4:30 except the guy whose job it was to release drawings into our system who worked 5-2 every day so if you finished your drawing by 3 the day it was due you couldn't release it until the next day and you'd get a hit on your performance review for releasing late even though you had it done on time. It was exceptionally frustrating.

I work 7-3:30. I'm here during normal business hours but I get home in time to do stuff like going to the post office and if I have to do OT I'm not here super late.

Yeah our team had a guy that did the 5-2 thing as well and never stayed late, while myself and one other person were almost always stuck there to finish up for the day's deadlines. It got annoying.

But now that I have a 3 month old I'm up at 5:30 anyway so I get in to work by 7:30 and I'm out the door exactly 8 hours from when I started because I just don't give a gently caress anymore and I'm not leaving anyone hanging. I'll stay late if I have to but I pretty much committed to doing absolutely nothing extra in a given day because I wasn't getting much of anything out of it except more headaches.

Combo fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 25, 2014

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Our anonymous surveys are truly anonymous, but I can't say that for the rest of the company because we're as big as the borg and it's like Noah's Ark in that literally every conceivable function is duplicated multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Every one of those I've seen was "anonymous".

But then it asked what site you were assigned to, your position, how long you'd been with the company, your age bracket...