Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

1gnoirents posted:

15% faster than a 760 at $250 will be a very good performance level for everyday gaming builds. Weird about the ram, but I don't want to start a vram balance thing again. I'm sure it will be more than fine. The speed is a little stranger honestly.

$250 now makes my over 1 year old $210 7950B looks fantastically good in hindsight. It's like Sandy Bridge deja vu again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Palladium posted:

$250 now makes my over 1 year old $210 7950B looks fantastically good in hindsight. It's like Sandy Bridge deja vu again.

That was an anomalously low price before bitcoin miners drove up the price like crazy. I saw those 7950 Boosts hanging around $200-ish, and then two weeks later they were $350. A buddy of mine managed to get a 7850 for $100, told me to get the same thing and it was very very gone the next week.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I think 15% improvement per dollar is a fine increment for a year. I mean, its cross brands and it only counts if its actually true, but I have no issue with the concept.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Twerk from Home posted:

That was an anomalously low price before bitcoin miners drove up the price like crazy. I saw those 7950 Boosts hanging around $200-ish, and then two weeks later they were $350. A buddy of mine managed to get a 7850 for $100, told me to get the same thing and it was very very gone the next week.

Ignoring Bitcoins, the recurring problem with AMD and NV these days are that their new releases are so incremental in performance that it makes their already price-reduced previous gen looks good like ~$120 GTX 460 1GBs and ~$150 HD5850s compared to $200+ "next-gen" parts. Heck I even have my 3-year old GTX460 in a spare rig and I can't really tell any visual differences by dropping mostly redundant but demanding IQ settings to get equivalent playable frame rates compared to a 7950B at 1080p.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 25, 2014

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Remember how MSI crams GTX 760s into a 6.7" board for mini-ITX builds? So will Sapphire for the R9-285.

Neat.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Palladium posted:

Ignoring Bitcoins, the recurring problem with AMD and NV these days are that their new releases are so incremental in performance that it makes their already price-reduced previous gen looks good like ~$120 GTX 460 1GBs and ~$150 HD5850s compared to $200+ "next-gen" parts. Heck I even have my 3-year old GTX460 in a spare rig and I can't really tell any visual differences by dropping mostly redundant but demanding IQ settings to get equivalent playable frame rates compared to a 7950B at 1080p.

This has always been true. Unlocked 9700 instead of FX5XXX or 600xt's, xt 1900 instead of 8600's, 4870 instead of 5770, unlocked 6970 instead of Pitcairn, cheapo 470 and 480's etc. Buying a depreciated high end card has always been better bang for the buck but you tend to get worse thermals and miss out on features.

EDIT: Another thing most people overlook is that 7950 overclocks put the 460 to shame.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 25, 2014

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Factory Factory posted:

Remember how MSI crams GTX 760s into a 6.7" board for mini-ITX builds? So will Sapphire for the R9-285.

Neat.

Hell yeah. I was hoping this stuff didn't get lost

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So when is the next big iteration of nvidia cards supposed to hit? I want to do a whole new system build for myself but I am gating myself based on GPU and CPU releases.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Knifegrab posted:

So when is the next big iteration of nvidia cards supposed to hit? I want to do a whole new system build for myself but I am gating myself based on GPU and CPU releases.

Buy a new CPU whenever, things aren't about to change drastically anytime soon.

Nvidia cards are "expected" to hit in November-ish, but nobody actually knows when they'll arrive.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Hace posted:

Buy a new CPU whenever, things aren't about to change drastically anytime soon.

Nvidia cards are "expected" to hit in November-ish, but nobody actually knows when they'll arrive.

Awesome, thanks so much!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Also, don't expect the 880 to be some huge increase in power. Right now you still would be pretty well served with either a used 280 or 290 on the cheap.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I have a friend's old EVGA 560ti (looks like this one http://www.meetgadget.com/gadget/49698/EVGA+GeForce+GTX+560+Ti+DS+Superclocked/photos) and the sleeve bearing fans gummed up on it. I bought some mineral oil and was going to put a drop on each fan, but peeling back both the front and back stickers I don't see a spot to apply the oil. There's no hole in the middle, there's just small cutouts for chips on the fan PCB. Any ideas? Maybe just saturate them since mineral oil isn't conductive?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 26, 2014

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

I have a friend's old EVGA 560ti (looks like this one http://www.meetgadget.com/gadget/49698/EVGA+GeForce+GTX+560+Ti+DS+Superclocked/photos) and the sleeve bearing fans gummed up on it. I bought some mineral oil and was going to put a drop on each fan, but peeling back both the front and back stickers I don't see a spot to apply the oil. There's no hole in the middle, there's just small cutouts for chips on the fan PCB. Any ideas? Maybe just saturate them since mineral oil isn't conductive?

It doenst look like this? This sort of looks like it doesn't come off but it does

But if its just flat or very obviously a molded piece then I'd use a dremel drill bit to make a hole

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I'm scraping at it with a knife and it's definitely completely molded. I'd Dremel it but getting little plastic bits in there can't be good. Lemme try pouring a whole bunch of oil in.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

veedubfreak posted:

Also, don't expect the 880 to be some huge increase in power. Right now you still would be pretty well served with either a used 280 or 290 on the cheap.

Definitely, amazon even has some open box 290s with good coolers for around $300.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

I'm scraping at it with a knife and it's definitely completely molded. I'd Dremel it but getting little plastic bits in there can't be good. Lemme try pouring a whole bunch of oil in.

That sucks. I'd be the first to dunk it in oil too lol, but in theory it should be fairly sealed from that sort of thing. I mean obviously it probably leaked out, but over time through a tiny gap. But good luck I hope that works I wouldn't really want to dremel it either.

Could remove it and actually soak it in mineral oil (lol) then run 12v to the fan header under a tub or bucket until its done flinging oil all over

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Great minds think alike, while you were posting I already doused the fans in the mineral oil, but trying to turn them by finger they still gave a lot of resistance, even after spinning them for 30 seconds each. So, I took my Metro portable duster http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW, held them over the inside of the sink and blasted air into both to spin them at a bajillion RPM. Now a soft breath makes them spin, and I used some damp paper towels to wipe away any oil the duster didn't blow off the fins.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I put a fresh coat of TIM on the card, and I'm testing it now, and with stock clocks it is hitting 100c in benchmarks on Auto fan, which apparently goes up to 40% speed. I set manual speed to 100% and benchmarks only get it up to 85c which is better but I'm surprised the card is struggling so badly with thermals.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
That sounds more like the cooler didn't get put back on 100% correctly. A 170W TDP struggling with a dual-fan open-air cooler like that is very surprising.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Factory Factory posted:

That sounds more like the cooler didn't get put back on 100% correctly. A 170W TDP struggling with a dual-fan open-air cooler like that is very surprising.

Isn't that, there's a clear view from the side where I can see the heatsink flat against the chip with a little TIM peeking out, I tightened in a cross pattern and everything, looks perfect. I did use AS5 though and I've seen that do 20c worse than the other poo poo I use, maybe I'll let it "cure" and check later or just reapply something else.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
AS5 is a little risky to be using on a GPU since there's no IHS. Probably better off using a non-conductive paste instead. Oiling fans is kind of a temporary fix anyways and you'll probably end up needing to put new fans or an aftermarket cooler on there at some point. Stripping off the stock fan assembly and zip-tying a couple 120mm fans is also always an option.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

There's a chance I could still register a EVGA warranty on a used card from Amazon, provided it wasn't done already by a previous customer, right? Their warehouse has "like new" GTX 770s for $300.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

iastudent posted:

There's a chance I could still register a EVGA warranty on a used card from Amazon, provided it wasn't done already by a previous customer, right? Their warehouse has "like new" GTX 770s for $300.

They like to say "life time warranty when registering in the first 30 days", so that might cause a problem in getting the lifetime one. Whatever three-year warranty it has remaining should still apply though, those are supposed to be transferable per EVGA (they follow serial number).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

cisco privilege posted:

AS5 is a little risky to be using on a GPU since there's no IHS. Probably better off using a non-conductive paste instead. Oiling fans is kind of a temporary fix anyways and you'll probably end up needing to put new fans or an aftermarket cooler on there at some point. Stripping off the stock fan assembly and zip-tying a couple 120mm fans is also always an option.

Weirdly the 560ti did have an IHS, a 1.5x1.5 inch block covering the chip. I wonder if it is soldered on or if I can maybe delid it and redo it's paste as well.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Zero VGS posted:

They like to say "life time warranty when registering in the first 30 days", so that might cause a problem in getting the lifetime one. Whatever three-year warranty it has remaining should still apply though, those are supposed to be transferable per EVGA (they follow serial number).

EVGA doesn't do lifetime anymore.

iastudent posted:

For free games yes. For warranty the fact the invoice says used means they will probably go with the serial number date.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Zero VGS posted:

Weirdly the 560ti did have an IHS, a 1.5x1.5 inch block covering the chip. I wonder if it is soldered on or if I can maybe delid it and redo it's paste as well.
Huh, what do you know - they do have them. Looks like they're not soldered either so you should be able to remove it:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1156145/official-guide-modifying-removing-nvidia-gpu-heat-spreader-ihs

TANSTAAFL
Feb 10, 2006
fubar
Hey guys, I was thinking of getting a new graphics card.

I have a gtx 570 now but it's not doing so well. I had one of the fan's die on me without realizing then had the 2nd go and meanwhile seem to have done some sort of damage that wasn't repaired when I installed new fans. It seems to run mostly fine now but will lock up if i don't underclock it from whatever default EVGA did.

I was Thinking of using my last 2 days of amazon prime to get:
"Evga Geforce Gtx760 W/Evga Acx Cooler 2Gb Gddr5 256Bit, Dual-Link Dvi-I, Dvi-D, Hdmi,Dp, Sli Ready Graphics Card 02G-P4-2763-Kr"
for $270 Canadain or maybe get
"Asus Gtx660-Dc2o-2gd5 Gfgtx660"
for $205

I'm open to suggestions and I believe the 660 ti was the op's go to card however i couldn't find a good price for one when i searched. Doesn't need to be amazon of course but I've got the free shipping there and that can be expensive in Canada for some reason.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

TANSTAAFL posted:

Hey guys, I was thinking of getting a new graphics card.

I have a gtx 570 now but it's not doing so well. I had one of the fan's die on me without realizing then had the 2nd go and meanwhile seem to have done some sort of damage that wasn't repaired when I installed new fans. It seems to run mostly fine now but will lock up if i don't underclock it from whatever default EVGA did.

I was Thinking of using my last 2 days of amazon prime to get:
"Evga Geforce Gtx760 W/Evga Acx Cooler 2Gb Gddr5 256Bit, Dual-Link Dvi-I, Dvi-D, Hdmi,Dp, Sli Ready Graphics Card 02G-P4-2763-Kr"
for $270 Canadain or maybe get
"Asus Gtx660-Dc2o-2gd5 Gfgtx660"
for $205

I'm open to suggestions and I believe the 660 ti was the op's go to card however i couldn't find a good price for one when i searched. Doesn't need to be amazon of course but I've got the free shipping there and that can be expensive in Canada for some reason.

The OP is out of date then, the 660ti was replaced by the 760 in mid 2013.

A 760 is an ideal replacement. Don't get the Asus one though, they have the worst performing and noisiest cooler in this generation of cards. MSI has the best, followed by EVGA.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks
Will a GTX780 (specifically thinking http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130918 ) drive 3x 1920x1080 monitors at, i dunno what the convention is for complexity, let's say: a shitload of complexity?

Is the next gen expected to be a major step up? I don't really need this computer built out till oct/nov so I could wait and see I guess (but don't want to for a trivial change in card power).

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010
There's supposed to be an announcement about the new 800-series cards sometime in September I think. No one's 100% sure how they'll perform, but it's expected to be a modest performance increase, with some decent efficiency improvements. Might not be a bad idea to wait just a *bit* longer to get some solid info.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
They're called 900-series cards now.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone explain to me (it's rumored anyway) why Nvidia would use a 256-bit bus for memory when they used a bigger bus before?
I don't know much about the hardware end of things, so I'm wondering if this will hinder performance at all.
If it will then I may skip the initial Maxwell upgrade if they'll move to a faster memory system later.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Swartz posted:

Can someone explain to me (it's rumored anyway) why Nvidia would use a 256-bit bus for memory when they used a bigger bus before?
It's cheaper to implement. If they offset that with snazzy software or higher memory speeds, it may not hinder performance much, but that has yet to be seen. In the past narrow buses have hindered performance noticeably if you try to push very high resolutions, but that's usually talking 1440p and up. It's doubtful that they'd change bus widths in the middle of a generation, though, as bus width drives a lot of other parts of the design. They very well might use that to segment their markets, though--256 for the mid/low cards, something higher for the upper-end ones.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Swartz posted:

I don't know much about the hardware end of things, so I'm wondering if this will hinder performance at all.
If it will then I may skip the initial Maxwell upgrade if they'll move to a faster memory system later.
For all but the highest-end there's diminishing returns past a 256-bit memory bus, especially because as you increase the width of the memory bus it gets harder to scale memory clockspeeds as high. All indications seem to be that nVidia is following the same pattern they did with the GTX 680, where their first launch is designed to be cost and power-efficient, and later we may see a bigger GTX 980 descended from the high-performance compute cards.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I tried to learn about it once but it seems that memory bus is only really good for comparing performance in the same generation. Like the gtx 570 was 320 bit but was dropped to 256 bit but it isn't super comparable. If I recall it only literally refers to how many chips there are

TANSTAAFL
Feb 10, 2006
fubar

The Lord Bude posted:

The OP is out of date then, the 660ti was replaced by the 760 in mid 2013.

A 760 is an ideal replacement. Don't get the Asus one though, they have the worst performing and noisiest cooler in this generation of cards. MSI has the best, followed by EVGA.

Thanks, I'm pretty tempted to go for the 760 then.
I see people talking about the rumours about a new card in september or october but it sounds like its not likely to be a huge step up from this and would cost more anyway so theres no real need to wait right?

Also I could get a "superclocked" version of the card for an extra $10.. is that worth it? to have them pre-over clock the card? I imagine it would be tested as stable and still have possible overhead room? seems worth it to me, or is there a chance they would be pushing the card too far out of the box?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

TANSTAAFL posted:

Also I could get a "superclocked" version of the card for an extra $10.. is that worth it? to have them pre-over clock the card?

I generally get the SC version because it's cheap but no, you can't really assume that it'll be genuinely stable outside of its intended operating conditions. They should be really good at binning chips by now, so don't expect to skip some quality tiers this late in the game because demand is outstripping supply - the 760 was made to be exactly what it is from the outset, and you're gonna get the minor amount of overclocking you're gonna get (which will look like a lot, but in fact isn't too far from median clockrates because nVidia and AMD are both conservative as hell these days when it comes to how much actual overclocking they let you do with most cards).

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

Does it seem likely that a single big 9xx will be able to run 4k games at max settings?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Black Dynamite posted:

Does it seem likely that a single big 9xx will be able to run 4k games at max settings?
No, unless by "games" you mean titles from a few years back. Consider that a single 780 Ti right now struggles to keep 30-40 FPS on maxed out 4k versions of BF3, Bioshock, etc., it would literally have to be twice as powerful in order to keep a steady 60FPS--and that's for games almost 3 years old. For a newer game like BF4, it hobbles about at ~25FPS. Remember that 4k is literally four times the resolution as 1080p. Maybe some internal SLI-on-a-card could do it, but that'd be about it.

On the other hand, the 780 Ti can already do 4k maxed out Skyrim at 70+ FPS, so it really depends on what games you intend to be playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks
Huh so should I be planning on SLI for 3x1080p w/ new games?