Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

BITCOINS OR ELSE SONY WILL HAVE TO DEAL WITH MY WRATH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

People are already beating D3 and I'm just sitting here with my level 23 Barbarian hunting those three sword pieces.

PSN DDoS CHAT:

Any word on what Sony plans to do about the lost day ? I was at work for 11 hours and came home straight to bed. However I did pay for 365 days of PSplus, not 364.

They're gonna give you a pony.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Lblitzer posted:

Is the deal for the Wireless Gold headsets still going on? Anyone got a link for that?

Edit: Also, noticed my thumbs getting sore from playing Diablo 3 for quite a while last night, what were the 3rd-party stick covers people were enjoying?
The headsets for $40 after rebate? Those sold out pretty quick. As for the stick covers, from the OP:

Christoff posted:

FPS Freeks are the best and well known to throw on your right stick for FPS games.

KELUX Thumb grips are another option to the FPS freeks and also not a bad idea to pick up if the rubber is wearing off.

Also grip-its and gel tabs

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

metztli posted:

Anyone playing Zen Pinball 2 and getting pretty noticeable flipper lag? I've tried it with 3d on, 3d off and it's just horribly unresponsive. No such issues in any other games.

It looks gorgeous, hopefully I can figure something out.

Never has flipper lag in ZP2 for ps3, ps4 or vita.

Pinball arcade yea... Ps3 and Xbox versions had mad flipper lag

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Obviously not everyone involved in the 2011 hack was caught, but the pair from the US got a year in prison, one year house arrest, $600k fine, and 1,000 hours community service. I haven't heard about the non-US people.

As much as we'd like to see people given sizable sentences for living out their zer0cool fantasies, 2011's hackers were given pretty light terms. However, while this weekend's cyberattacks aren't as disruptive, putting a bomb threat on an airliner and declaring yourself a part of ISIS, whether Ironic Internet Humor or not, should bring some heavier consequences.

What motivates people to do this? Kids who were (unfortunately) bullied lashing out at the world? Cries for attention?

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

They are announcing that they are at it again on twitter right now.

They also just announced that they took down Vatican city's website and then dropped Isis and jihad references.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Fateo McMurray posted:

3 words. Class Action Lawsuit.

You signed away your rights to a class action lawsuit a long time ago.

People always say that nobody's credit card info was stolen during the 2011 attack, but a few months later I had fraudulent charges on my credit card tied to the account. The password on my PS3 account was only used one other place which was an old unused blog account. Maybe a coincidence and yes I can't prove it was Sony's fault, but it's the only thing that makes sense because the blog didn't have my credit card info and nothing else I had was compromised.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

katkillad2 posted:

The only place in the world this has a chance of holding up in court would be the US.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Yep looks like it's starting again, uploading and downloading the Pixeljunk cloud save went from instantaneous to taking minutes each time for the MP trophy trick.

Can't wait for the fuckers to get caught.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Let it go on like a month! I want some more free ps3/vita and now ps4 games from Sony :getin:. I would of never tried Infamous if the 2011 outage didn't happen.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

katkillad2 posted:

People always say that nobody's credit card info was stolen during the 2011 attack, but a few months later I had fraudulent charges on my credit card tied to the account. The password on my PS3 account was only used one other place which was an old unused blog account. Maybe a coincidence and yes I can't prove it was Sony's fault, but it's the only thing that makes sense because the blog didn't have my credit card info and nothing else I had was compromised.

I don't know, I've had debit or credit cards hacked like 3 times, and none of them were around the time of any known data breach. None of them the card I use for my PS account, and I never used one at Target either. Two of them I had used all over the place online so I wasn't too surprised, but one card I'm 95% sure I had never used at all. And I use a password generator so it's not like I'm recycling passwords everywhere or something dumb like that.

Luckily my bank and credit card companies were pretty good about fraud protection, as most major financial institutions are these days. But I'm starting to put account hacks in the category of "who the hell knows how these things happen." The wonders of our modern age.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 25, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

StarkRavingMad posted:

I don't know, I've had debit or credit cards hacked like 3 times, and none of them were around the time of any known data breach. None of them the card I use for my PS account, and I never used one at Target either. Two of them I had used all over the place online so I wasn't two surprised, but one card I'm 95% sure I had never used at all.

Luckily my bank and credit card companies were pretty good about fraud protection, as most major financial institutions are these days. But I'm starting to put account hacks in the category of "who the hell knows how these things happen." The wonders of our modern age.

You are overwhelmingly more likely to have your card compromised due to some form of localized physical breach. The worst that happened to me (around that time, now that I think about it) happened like this:

"Technician" showed up at Subway restaurant close to my work.
:ninja: "Hey, we need to do an update on your card machine."
:downs: "OK."
:ninja: -Installs trojan on card reader- "Thank you!"

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
^ this is why you shouldn't use your card just anywhere. Bars, 7/11s, whore houses, all bad ideas.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I just do a two-sided scan of my card and email it to all the vendors I make purchases with.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

univbee posted:

You are overwhelmingly more likely to have your card compromised due to some form of localized physical breach. The worst that happened to me (around that time, now that I think about it) happened like this:

"Technician" showed up at Subway restaurant close to my work.
:ninja: "Hey, we need to do an update on your card machine."
:downs: "OK."
:ninja: -Installs trojan on card reader- "Thank you!"

Something like this happened at a local sandwich shop recently, though one of the employees was the person copying the numbers, not some technician. Shared with her boyfriend. Both were arrested. People are stupid.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

echronorian posted:

^ this is why you shouldn't use your card just anywhere. Bars, 7/11s, whore houses, all bad ideas.

Or just do it anyway because why the hell are you using a card that's not zero liability?

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Urdnot Fire posted:

The headsets for $40 after rebate? Those sold out pretty quick. As for the stick covers, from the OP:

I've been using the DS4 version of KF Ultras for a week now and have a serious issue with them slipping off the sticks. They slide off ridiculously easy.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

A cool, cool friend got me a code for First Light for my birthday via amazon. They just emailed me the code because amazon just released it to them, but the PSN won't take it yet. I was hoping to pre-load but I guess this means amazon codes can't do that? Does anyone have experience with amazon PSN codes that could tell me how it's worked in the past?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Aphrodite posted:

Or just do it anyway because why the hell are you using a card that's not zero liability?

It's still an immense pain in the rear end to clean everything up, even if it costs you nothing but time in the long run. :shrug:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Metanaut posted:

I've been using the DS4 version of KF Ultras for a week now and have a serious issue with them slipping off the sticks. They slide off ridiculously easy.

I got the Ultras and they're fairly secure, maybe you got a bad set?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Metanaut posted:

Did you maybe receive the non-PS4 version? I compared my old KontrolFreeks that were made for the 360 controller(they would slip off) to the new PS4 ones I received and the claws are longer to secure it better to the PS4 stick. No problems with slipping either. I even intentionally pressed at an angle with it turned to the weakest spot and it still didn't come off.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

It's still an immense pain in the rear end to clean everything up, even if it costs you nothing but time in the long run. :shrug:

Are you talking about credit cards or debit cards? Because my single experience with credit card fraud took 5 minutes to clear up on the phone and no money ever left my bank account. My friend who uses debit cards took a week before the money was returned to him. I don't know why people even use debit cards when there's credit cards.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
The lizard dude is on cnn right now. If it'd him he's hosed.
By that I mean his Twitter is. The white bearded man said it was going to be a federal investigation and a big deal.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 25, 2014

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sharzak posted:

By that I mean his Twitter is. The white bearded man said it was going to be a federal investigation and a big deal.

I have to wonder if it's an American dude and he just wanted suicide by cops and wanted to go out in a big way. This all seems incredibly idiotic. All the bomb threats and weird ISIS poo poo and gently caress BLIZZARD AND THAT GUY WHO BEAT ME AT HEARTHSTONE I'M DONE.

edit: when asked by Wolf Blitzer whether "u mad bro," twitter user Lizard responded "i told you i was hardcore"

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 25, 2014

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Sharzak posted:

"If it's him?" You mean the twitter account that first made the bomb threat?

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

lostleaf posted:

I don't know why people even use debit cards when there's credit cards.

From my experience in a mandatory Econ class in high school, "DEBT = BAD NEVER USE A CREDIT CARD EVER :byodood:" was practically hammered into our heads, and I imagine a lot of folks took it to heart. Hell, I've had the occasional college teacher (likely adjunct faculty) spout similar crap seemingly at random at the beginning of a semester.

Anyway, I was kind if hoping that Sony would take the attack and decide "gently caress it, they won't be getting used anyway" and take the PSN severs offline early and get the maintenance done early.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Azzanadra posted:

From my experience in a mandatory Econ class in high school, "DEBT = BAD NEVER USE A CREDIT CARD EVER :byodood:" was practically hammered into our heads, and I imagine a lot of folks took it to heart. Hell, I've had the occasional college teacher (likely adjunct faculty) spout similar crap seemingly at random at the beginning of a semester.

This is because some people don't seem to realize you can pay your credit card off in full every month.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Cross buy, cross post, no cross saves!

Rinkles posted:

Holy moly, Don't Starve for the Vita will be cross buy with the PS4 version. It comes with Reign of Giants. (I'm guessing you still have to buy the DLC for the PS4 version despite this being cross buy?)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/08/25/dont-starve-giant-edition-coming-to-ps-vita-september-2nd

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lostleaf posted:

Are you talking about credit cards or debit cards? Because my single experience with credit card fraud took 5 minutes to clear up on the phone and no money ever left my bank account. My friend who uses debit cards took a week before the money was returned to him. I don't know why people even use debit cards when there's credit cards.

Only america really uses credit cards over anything else. If you come over to Europe you have a debit card for mostly everything and use a credit card rarely if at all.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

abagofcheetos posted:

This is because some people don't seem to realize you can pay your credit card off in full every month.

The paranoia about credit cards bit me in the rear end, because I had never used one in my life and it actually made getting a mortgage harder. I had no credit history, so the lenders refused :downs: This is in the UK.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Most debt cards are just like a credit card. My debt card was stolen about 5 years ago , and over $2,000 was taken out of my account by various charges. By that afternoon all my money was replaced, and everything was fixed. It had the same protection as an Visa card, because my debt card is a Visa. The biggest inconvenience was waiting for a new card in the mail. While I can understand some of the paranoia, a bigger inconvenience would've been to pay every bar tab, restaurant bill, etc. with cash.

Only advise I can give is just don't run your debt card as a debt (always do credit). You can always easily charge back a purchase. I did this with tires after the shop messed up, and they gave me a hard time about fixing their gently caress up.

Of course I'm in the states, and I can only speak at how things work here.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 25, 2014

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)
I have a question for anyone that's pre-ordered First Light? Did it still pre-load after all the crazy poo poo that went down yesterday?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Hoffadoff posted:

I have a question for anyone that's pre-ordered First Light? Did it still pre-load after all the crazy poo poo that went down yesterday?

It did for me although I'd purchased it on Saturday.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Obsurveyor posted:

Did you maybe receive the non-PS4 version? I compared my old KontrolFreeks that were made for the 360 controller(they would slip off) to the new PS4 ones I received and the claws are longer to secure it better to the PS4 stick. No problems with slipping either. I even intentionally pressed at an angle with it turned to the weakest spot and it still didn't come off.

I contacted their customer support, have to see what they say. Do yours look like this?

The prongs are really stubby on mine. They don't really grab the stick, but more like rest on top of it. Couple that with the lovely soft plastic used on the DS4 sticks and they keep slipping off with even slight pressure.

KF promised to send me a new pair, so I guess they think something is wrong with them too.

Metanaut fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 25, 2014

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

univbee posted:

It did for me although I'd purchased it on Saturday.

Yeah, I've had it preordered for a while now, and it was sitting on my dashboard ready to go when I got up this morning.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I won't have access to my PS4 ones for a week or so but this is what the 360 ones look like:

(click for bigger)

The PS4 ones have a lip that is at least twice as long.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I'm in Ireland and i've been hovering over buying a US PSN copy of D3 for the equivalent of €45 all day.

It's at least €60 for the disc version over here at the moment but i am a game trade-in scrub so i don't know what to do :ohdear:

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
If I wanted to buy the Infamous DLC today, is the store stable enough for me to do that? I kept putting off buying it, and I won't be near reliable Internet in a couple days.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Stux posted:

Only america really uses credit cards over anything else. If you come over to Europe you have a debit card for mostly everything and use a credit card rarely if at all.

Debit cards in America work the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Mustang posted:

Debit cards in America work the same way.

I tend to use the credit card because I can't stand the thought of someone having direct access to my money. I'd rather pay through an intermediary (and get points) and then pay it off in full. I've had my accounts hacked via debit cards and waiting for the cash to be replaced and the stress reduced my use of them to just small accounts set up as buffers with $200 in them for an emergency in case an establishment won't take my credit card. I am probably uber paranoid but I'm into limiting my liability.

• Locked thread