Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Opopanax posted:

Why do these reboots have to change everything all the time? I mean call me old fashioned but The Thing has a whole body, like with a torso and legs and poo poo. How's a floating head and shoulders going to clobber anything?!?

Headbutts, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

IUG posted:

Clearly that's Rockslide.

(I wish it were Rockslide.)
Me too... Maybe Fox can re-use it in the X-Men franchise?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Everything about F4 adaptations always just rubs me the wrong way. If you're going to do a F4 story, it's got to be drenched in camp. No one but Tobias Funke seems to get that.

Also, make both storms black for gods sakes, what's wrong with you

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ignite Memories posted:

Also, make both storms black for gods sakes, what's wrong with you

Nonono, that's what everyone expects nowadays. You need to go the other way:

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

IUG posted:

Clearly that's Rockslide.

(I wish it were Rockslide.)

I wish it was too but, needs tusk and horns.

Has Rockslide ever met the thing? I get the feeling he would be gloriously annoying, and take all of a minute to ask about a sensitive issue...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That still bothers me because he should be able to make his rock form look however he wants, including having junk. Granted, it might not be usable junk, but now we're going down that weird path we should just stray from.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Opopanax posted:

Why do these reboots have to change everything all the time? I mean call me old fashioned but The Thing has a whole body, like with a torso and legs and poo poo. How's a floating head and shoulders going to clobber anything?!?

Kick, punch, it's all in the mind.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know how long its been airing, but Guardians has the standard "We're still in theaters!" ad going around talking about how it's the best reviewed summer blockbuster of the year.

Then as soon as it says that line, they put the "Don't poke me, Ninja Turtle!" line from the movie.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Not even. They splice it with another line so he says "Take that, Ninja Turtle!"

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Guardians also retook the number one spot after a sharp decline by TMNT, and in the process outgrossed Transformers: Age of Extinction domestically to become the highest-earning movie of the summer domestically.

I try not to invest myself in movie numbers, but I was definitely glad to hear it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's kind of crazy that they're already advertising Big Hero 6 when it isn't out for 3 more months.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

muscles like this? posted:

It's kind of crazy that they're already advertising Big Hero 6 when it isn't out for 3 more months.

Those ads really make it look like it's gonna suck the big one.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lurdiak posted:

Whaaaat, I laughed my rear end off at the trailer.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lurdiak posted:

Strong disagree.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

You outta your drat mind, son.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

Lurdiak posted:

It would be the movie i'm most excited for in the second half of the year if it weren't for The Book Of Life.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guardians was #1 at the box office this weekend with $17 mil. It's only $7 mil behind Cap 2 as the highest grossing movie of the year. What the hell!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

Guardians was #1 at the box office this weekend with $17 mil. It's only $7 mil behind Cap 2 as the highest grossing movie of the year. What the hell!

:toot: Eat poo poo, Ninja Turtles.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The last couple of weeks have been pretty lovely for box offices so it's not really a big surprise that Guardians took back #1. The fact that it got it with only $17 million should say something about how little people went to the movies this weekend.

The thing I did find weird was just how little Sin City got. That little means people were actively choosing not to go see it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I do find that surprising, because the trailers and commercials for that movie I think would make it look pretty good to the untrained eye.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The last couple of weeks have been pretty lovely for box offices so it's not really a big surprise that Guardians took back #1. The fact that it got it with only $17 million should say something about how little people went to the movies this weekend.

The thing I did find weird was just how little Sin City got. That little means people were actively choosing not to go see it.

Still though it puts all our handwringing over GotG bombing into perspective.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

zoux posted:

Still though it puts all our handwringing over GotG bombing into perspective.

Again, I saw posts about how it was going to fail literally the week before it came out, people will assume anything of the people they think of as the dumb, unwashed masses.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I mentioned to my brother the other day after watching the 13 thousandth Sin City commercial that the movie looks like it's just about people jumping through the air.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I would watch a movie about people who have the power to jump really good. You can't call it Jumper unfortunately that's taken.

The Jumpers. Leap into action Feb 29, 2016

greatn fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 25, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

zoux posted:

Marvel movie #9 made money, Marvel movie #10 will make money, Marvel movie #11 will make money and so on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Marvel movie #9 made money, Marvel movie #10 will make money, Marvel movie #11 will make money and so on.

It's a pleasant "what the hell" not a actual what the hell.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yes, the whole GotG down talking was petty pointless. also, pretty misguided, as I don't think anybody really knew anything about Ironman before 2008 either, or Thor or Captain America besides the vaguest concept. Guardians, with its Space Opera setting was probably the saver bet.

Still, that the movie turned into the success it is wasn't really set in stone. It could have easily become another mild success with little staying power after its realese. As it stands, the thing will probably turn into a classic.

Marvel are the Bond franchise of the of the 21st century. A vast canon of material, easily eclipsed by its adaption, with slight tonal differences between the movies, but all ultimately part of the same formula. They are also helped by the fact that studios have been moving away from r-rated action movies for years now in favor of PG-13 and superheroes are perfect for that.

e X fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 25, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

e X posted:

Yes, the whole GotG down talking was petty pointless. also, pretty misguided, as I don't think anybody really knew anything about Ironman before 2008 either, or Thor or Captain America besides the vaguest concept. Guardians, with its Space Opera setting was probably the saver bet.

Still, that the movie turned into the success it is wasn't really set in stone. It could have easily become another mild success with little staying power after its realese. As it stands, the thing will probably turn into a classic.

People were incredibly excited for it for months before it came out, they loved those trailers. Even if the movie was kinda crappy it would've still done fairly well simply based on that momentum.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Lurdiak posted:

People were incredibly excited for it for months before it came out, they loved those trailers. Even if the movie was kinda crappy it would've still done fairly well simply based on that momentum.

I said nothing to the contrary. My point is that this movie is a smash hit, that will stay in people's mind for a long time, as supposed, let's say the Star Trek reboot, which nobody gives a gently caress about anymore. It's less about box office success, I think at this point the Marvel logo probably makes sure the movie breaks even at the least, but about pop-cultural impact.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Waterhaul posted:

I don't know, Ant-man is probably not going to make money with the way its development is going.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

I mentioned to my brother the other day after watching the 13 thousandth Sin City commercial that the movie looks like it's just about people jumping through the air.

The first time I saw the Sin City trailer, I missed the beginning and had no context other than that it was apparently a comic book movie. I assumed almost all of the main characters were actively superhuman but that their powersets were somehow themed for a grim and gritty noir film. I love Sin City now but I think the movie I imagined in my head would have been much cooler.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

achillesforever6 posted:

I don't know, Ant-man is probably not going to make money with the way its development is going.
Paul Rudd will be great in it pretty much regardless of what the movie is, so I'm expecting it to be fine.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

achillesforever6 posted:

I don't doubt it will be a terrible mess of a film but it'll be successful. It'll be coming off Avengers 2 and they are shoving as much "shared universe" nonsense as possible in it. Unless people do actually decide to go against Marvel for refusing to break out of their "formula" it'll be marketed successfully and make money.

Like for all of Guardians "riskiness" it is just Avengers in Space and was marketed to hell as MARVEL STUDIOS PRESENTS and made money because of it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Waterhaul posted:

I don't doubt it will be a terrible mess of a film but it'll be successful. It'll be coming off Avengers 2 and they are shoving as much "shared universe" nonsense as possible in it. Unless people do actually decide to go against Marvel for refusing to break out of their "formula" it'll be marketed successfully and make money.

Like for all of Guardians "riskiness" it is just Avengers in Space and was marketed to hell as MARVEL STUDIOS PRESENTS and made money because of it.

Superhero movies also tend to succeed off the back of how much people liked the last one - which is why Spider-man 3 made the most money of the entire franchise.

Which is why Ant-man being bad is an actual threat to Marvel - it hurts their brand of "not making awful superhero movies", which could lower the take on later films.

The greatest crime in would be if Ant-Man was bad, and then audiences lost faith and didn't go to see a Black Widow movie, so therefore female superheroes don't sell etc etc.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Can't we make a pretty solid guess that the reason Edgar Wright walked is precisely because he wanted to stray from the formula?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm honestly not too worried about Ant-Man, They are apperantly keeping his script, and just adding in whatever poo poo they wanted added in that Wright didn't want to do.

It probably won't be as good as it could have been but I doubt it's bad.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Dexo posted:

I'm honestly not too worried about Ant-Man, They are apperantly keeping his script, and just adding in whatever poo poo they wanted added in that Wright didn't want to do.

It probably won't be as good as it could have been but I doubt it's bad.

I don't know how they could keep his script by removing multiple cast members/characters and adding in a bunch of past SHIELD people.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It will probably help the financials though. Edgar Wright was cursed by a gypsy in 1996 to never have box office success.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Waterhaul posted:

I don't know how they could keep his script by removing multiple cast members/characters and adding in a bunch of past SHIELD people.

Most text editors come with search & replace. Just change scientist #2 to Howard Stark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

FWIW, my wife and I were going to see it this weekend, but all of the showings around us were for 3D, and we generally don't spend the extra cash. I don't know if having a majority of 3D showings is the reason for other people skipping out on it, but it influenced our decision.

We still want to see it, but now we're just hoping that it will have a better schedule this weekend.

• Locked thread