Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Snowdens Secret posted:

My Aprilia parts situation may be awful but at least the company exists

Buell may not exist but at least my parts situation is good. :v:

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
The honda VFR800 still exists and got a bit of a once over, just got a new sport rider with it as the cover feature. Buuuuut I guess that's too "sport"-ish for the pussies that buy ADV bikes.

I don't see the ADV appeal either, but I also don't have a 4x4 truck lifted with big rims as my daily driver. I think it's much the same. Look like you're cool and sacrifice any actual coolness.

Also BMW themselves make the alternative: the K1300 Better road bike, can purchase with luggage.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I can't fathom why the majority of people who buy ADV bikes buy ADV bikes when a regular old touring/sport touring/semi faired bike would work much better, so logic doesn't come into it at even the most basic level. Noone makes the retarded decision to ride a safari-equipped ADV to work every day, then logically decide which brand to buy.

Because they have to look like steely-eyed adventurers about to set off to Dakar at a moments notice. Also they get to ride the biggest, tallest bike.

So, you know, penis problems. Same reason why any man does anything.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A friend of mine once owned a 990 Adventure that he rode all around South America and said it was the best bike he ever owned. How do those compare to the various GS's?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also they get to ride the biggest, tallest bike.

This is nice in traffic, I see over a lot of non-brodozer SUV roofs.

Also, ergonomics. Obtuse knee and hip angles, hooray!

And I stand by my position that the Ulysses is cool as gently caress except that it's hot as gently caress.

(I am secretly hoping the EBR AX is a faired or half/faired non-adventure tourer with a factory luggage system)

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 23, 2014

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Slavvy posted:

I can't fathom why the majority of people who buy ADV bikes buy ADV bikes when a regular old touring/sport touring/semi faired bike would work much better

ADV bikes typically have more travel in the suspension for potholes. Some have spoked wheel options which will also do better with potholes. They sit higher for seeing over more traffic, and being more visible to that traffic. They more commonly fit full face helmets in the side bags. They are designed to look like good while looking like poo poo so it's no sweat to ride the bike more than wash it.

I would argue they're actually better suited to urban commuting than the average sport tourer. I would be hard pressed to make up my mind on a Tiger 800 vs a VFR800 for commuting if they could be found with bags for the same price with the same features.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
In the US the VFR8 lists roughly two grand higher than the Tiger 8 (not the goofier XC), IIRC both with ABS. The Honda clearly looks better when new and clean, but trying to keep expensive fancy fairing work looking new and clean on a commuter bike is a hassle, and in terms of engine and running gear the Triumph has a solid advantage.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

Also, ergonomics. Obtuse knee and hip angles, hooray!

Ergos are the best reason to get a tall bike you'll never take offroad. There's just so much loving room. Any time I've testridden something else and then got back on my KLR or Wee it's felt like when you crumple up a potato chip bag and it decrumples all on its own.

On the subject of BMW vs Triumph, my fiancee really prefers the back seat of the F800 bikes to the Tiger 8. Doesn't like where the grabhandles are.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Funny, she hasn't complained about where my grabhandle is.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

You can link, just gotta be clever about it: http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/bike/enduro/2012/f800gsa/f800gsa_overview.html

I see now I must have been looking at the GS Adventure trim, not the regular trim; I had just googled the url on my phone earlier and gone directly to the page to look at the weight - didn't notice it wasn't the base trim.

Also, this is a thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eEB34tVvBc

http://www.998cc.org/forum/fz1-streetfighter/12235-fz1-07-turbo-pictures.html
(i.e. how to make an FZ1 unrideable)

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 23, 2014

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Phy posted:

Ergos are the best reason to get a tall bike you'll never take offroad. There's just so much loving room. Any time I've testridden something else and then got back on my KLR or Wee it's felt like when you crumple up a potato chip bag and it decrumples all on its own.

After they ran the two rods through my knee it doesn't like being bent that much for very long.
That said, I put footpeg lowering brackets on the Strom and it made a noticeable difference.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Pff, you can't go on an adventure with only 390cc. You need 1200. (1150 is ok your first time).

I know you are kidding, but for real I have a group of friends who did the Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route last year and rode stuff like a KLR650, a BMW 1100GS (I think??), and a Yamaha TDM850 - all big-boy adventure touring style bikes. They are (somewhat boringly, IMO) going back to do it again this year, this time on like 3 TW200's and other small bikes, because all of their bikes were too big and heavy for actual backcountry roads in their opinion.

I wish I could go. :(

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If I still lived in a place where it snows, I would 100% get a TW200 and put studded tires on it and commute by bike 365 days a year. Those are fun little bikes.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

:stare: Jesus, I wanna ride that just once. Never been on a bike that can't keep the front down in 4th gear.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How long does an engine last making that kind of power?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Longer than the rider. Honestly, I'd love to ride that to feel it, but you could never really pin the throttle without the bike flipping over backwards... right? That sounds frustrating.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Sagebrush posted:

How long does an engine last making that kind of power?

If it lasts more than four hours you have to consult a physician

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Halo_4am posted:

ADV bikes typically have more travel in the suspension for potholes. Some have spoked wheel options which will also do better with potholes. They sit higher for seeing over more traffic, and being more visible to that traffic. They more commonly fit full face helmets in the side bags. They are designed to look like good while looking like poo poo so it's no sweat to ride the bike more than wash it.

I would argue they're actually better suited to urban commuting than the average sport tourer. I would be hard pressed to make up my mind on a Tiger 800 vs a VFR800 for commuting if they could be found with bags for the same price with the same features.

This would hold some water if it weren't for the fact that they all put those ridiculous gigantic hard cases on them making them harder to get through traffic than a loving Goldwing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Halo_4am posted:

My 919 looks like a korean diesel after three days, I don't know if 'looks good while looks poo poo' is a deliberate sales strategy but it seems plausible.

Snowdens Secret posted:

If it lasts more than four hours you have to consult a physician

Hahahahahaha awesome.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 23, 2014

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
It's fun to poo poo on big ADV bikes but the big GS for all it's fault is a pretty good bike, this is a pretty good example, check out the track lap times. KTM SMT owns though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxFi4-PeGeg

HNasty fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 23, 2014

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This would hold some water if it weren't for the fact that they all put those ridiculous gigantic hard cases on them making them harder to get through traffic than a loving Goldwing.

:btroll: ADVENTURE COMMUTER :btroll:

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

LOL, the GS had a better time then the VFR.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

HNasty posted:

KTM SMT owns though.

KTM came out with a 1290 Super Duke...
and a 1290 Adventure...
If they come out with a 1290 SMT I may have a nervous breakdown.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nice to see that other people are as OCD about cancelling their indicators all the time as I am.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echomadman posted:

Nice to see that other people are as OCD about cancelling their indicators all the time as I am.

When I installed LED turn signals it disabled my panel turn indicator for some reason so yeah I compulsively press that button like every 15 seconds.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Retarded Pimp posted:

LOL, the GS had a better time then the VFR.

Don't tell a VFR fan this but....the VFR is fat and a little bit underpowered in the current market. Just because it's a "sport" tourer doesn't make it fast. Even the big ADV bikes like the R1200GSW and KTM1190 that have off road pretensions are about the same weight, more powerful, and handle better. Then there are the totally road based "Adventure" bikes that will run circles around the VFR. But since this is a picture thread:

VFR.jpg

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KodiakRS posted:

Don't tell a VFR fan this but....the VFR is fat and a little bit underpowered in the current market. Just because it's a "sport" tourer doesn't make it fast. Even the big ADV bikes like the R1200GSW and KTM1190 that have off road pretensions are about the same weight, more powerful, and handle better. Then there are the totally road based "Adventure" bikes that will run circles around the VFR. But since this is a picture thread:

VFR.jpg

You're exaggerating, there's about a 20kg difference between a big GS and a VFR. But yeah. It's long in the tooth and Honda, continuing their upward trend of being as milquetoast as possible, have just released a warmed-over cosmetic facelift that didn't change the frame or engine from 20 years ago.

:toot:Unleashed!:toot:

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

HotCanadianChick posted:

You can link, just gotta be clever about it: http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/bike/enduro/2012/f800gsa/f800gsa_overview.html

I see now I must have been looking at the GS Adventure trim, not the regular trim; I had just googled the url on my phone earlier and gone directly to the page to look at the weight - didn't notice it wasn't the base trim.

Also, this is a thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eEB34tVvBc

http://www.998cc.org/forum/fz1-streetfighter/12235-fz1-07-turbo-pictures.html
(i.e. how to make an FZ1 unrideable)

That looks terrifying. I'm going to do that when I'm old and dying so I can go out in a blaze of glory.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

You're exaggerating, there's about a 20kg difference between a big GS and a VFR. But yeah. It's long in the tooth and Honda, continuing their upward trend of being as milquetoast as possible, have just released a warmed-over cosmetic facelift that didn't change the frame or engine from 20 years ago.

:toot:Unleashed!:toot:

Honda really loves those fake usd forks. Which in tyool 2014 is a bit weird.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Does anyone have a source for this?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

:whitewater:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Good lord :stonk:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I remember reading about designing swingarms once and being floored at how much thought and engineering goes into their design.

When I see poo poo like this I can't help but wonder if the designer is at home crying into a bottle of whiskey.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I wonder how many potholes it takes before that "swingarm" folds up.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

whhhhyyyyyyyyyy

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Are those speakers in the fairing too?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Gotta drop dat phat bass while you're cruising along at top speed (i.e. 5 kph).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

I wonder how many potholes it takes before that "swingarm" folds up.

Take out the rear shock, make it a hardtail and it'd still have suspension from the swingarm flex alone.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Haha, I want to know the origin of that smiley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Time for some beam bending analysis