Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
No, I mean why stop working with Toyota on the 86 while the BMW project happens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Considering the only engineering Toyota did on the car was adding direct injection to a Subaru engine, I think Subaru could engineer a newer one just fine. It's basically a next-gen Impreza with the transfer case and front axles removed.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe we could get a super-collabo between all 3 companies.

BMW plastics on chirping toyota DI on subaru cheese pistons.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Zorak of Michigan posted:

They wouldn't stop immediately, but they couldn't develop a new one or a major refresh on their own, so odds are we'd get a few more years, and then they'd cease production when sales got too low.

Why not actually start advertising it and keep developing it instead? I've never seen a single Subaru commercial that had a BRZ. Why spend so much money developing the car and setting to the factory only to throw it all away on a single generation? Is the car really that much of a dud in terms of sales?

Maybe it's because I work in aerospace, but everything is about derivative models, evolutionary upgrades and so on. Having a new platform means they plan on using it extensively.

I hear so much rumor and conjecture about this car that simply makes no sense to me. Is this normal for the automotive world? First it's the golden child of the press and it's being used in various racing platforms and now folks actually believe it's going to actually die out in a few years?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I thought the agreement was that once the car is developed and the first model was done, both companies owned their respective model of the car and could branch off with it however they liked?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Oh well in that case who gives a poo poo about a turbo Subaru model, bring on the I6 Toyota model!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Powershift posted:

Maybe we could get a super-collabo between all 3 companies.

BMW plastics on chirping toyota DI on subaru cheese pistons.

Don't forget the best BMW addition, the GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nodoze posted:

Don't forget the best BMW addition, the GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM

Those are the BMW plastics.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Plastic. Crankcase.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

revmoo posted:

Plastic. Crankcase.

Actually considering the carbon fiber driveshaft on the new M3/M4, it's only a matter of time before they decide to engineer a cheaper version for non M models and other cheaper offshoots like like the Bimyota: a plastic driveshaft.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

HotCanadianChick posted:

Actually considering the carbon fiber driveshaft on the new M3/M4, it's only a matter of time before they decide to engineer a cheaper version for non M models and other cheaper offshoots like like the Bimyota: a plastic driveshaft.

Carbon Cotton Fiber Reinforced Plastic.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Waiting for the BMW press release where they bought out the assets and IP for the Trabant.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Has anyone put the '15 WRX in a BRZ yet? I just bought the WRX and the engine is phenomenal. I can imagine it could give the BRZ the get up and go so many people want.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

its basically the same engine with 4 less injectors (removing the port injection I believe) and a Turbo.

if it doesnt end up in either of the cars then both companies are loving stupid.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

$24 at Toys R Us. Really fun to chase my dog around with.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Since the thread was bumped...

I traded in my 2002 WRX on Thursday for a new 2015 BRZ Limited Series.Blue.

I have about 200 miles on it since then and it's been a riot. Switching between this and my 2011 WRX has been...interesting.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bull3964 posted:

I have about 200 miles on it since then and it's been a riot. Switching between this and my 2011 WRX has been...interesting.

I had been eyeing the FRS/BRZ for the past 2-3 years as shoe-in for a new car. Once they came out I drove one and loved the way it drove, it was just a bit too cramped and didn't have the utility I wanted. I ended up going with a 2014 WRX hatch and have been super happy with it, but I'm not going to lie, I still eye gently caress every FRS/BRZ I pass by.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I couldn't own it as an only car (well I could, but with compromises). However, since I already have a 2011 WRX hatch, it's the perfect secondary car.

The WRX feels positively truck-like when driven back to back. The BRZ feels so much more engaging. I haven't lamented the step down in power once since I got it and that's even keeping it under 4k for the break in period. It does, however, make the power that the WRX has stand out once I get back into it.

They complement each other well. The WRX is a bit more comfortable and the power is fun for darting around. The BRZ feels like a precise instrument and makes you feel like a superstar on twisty roads.

I was in a bit of a rut driving wise just going back and forth to work and not really pushing my WRX hard (driving for the sake of driving.) The BRZ has re-awakened my love of driving.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I couldn't own it as an only car (well I could, but with compromises). However, since I already have a 2011 WRX hatch, it's the perfect secondary car.

The WRX feels positively truck-like when driven back to back. The BRZ feels so much more engaging. I haven't lamented the step down in power once since I got it and that's even keeping it under 4k for the break in period. It does, however, make the power that the WRX has stand out once I get back into it.

They complement each other well. The WRX is a bit more comfortable and the power is fun for darting around. The BRZ feels like a precise instrument and makes you feel like a superstar on twisty roads.

I was in a bit of a rut driving wise just going back and forth to work and not really pushing my WRX hard (driving for the sake of driving.) The BRZ has re-awakened my love of driving.

I feel the same way about switching from the MS6 to the Miata, I've just never been able to articulate it.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Very nice!

My BRZ is just about due for its first service and I'm thinking of getting the shark-fin antenna added at the same time. I've seen some around and it looks so much better than the standard antenna.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I took one of these on a two day test drive on a recent work trip interstate. I rented one to get around and generally drive in a manner the previous salesman wouldnt really let me. I got an auto which was unfortunate, but not disappointing to drive.

after driving one again I can say they are definitely a fun car to drive, but not getting me out of my old rear end 240SX any time soon. its too similar in power and handling to bother spending 30K on. If I was to spend money on a new car it'd need 4 doors and more power, so likely a WRX. if they put a turbo on, or larger displacement with an interesting torque curve, I could be swayed.

bad Things I noticed:
- the brakes feel lovely. maybe its due to the automatic, but the pedal started firm and gradually got softer the more you stepped on it. Maybe I am just too used to engine braking.

- the steering is heavy as gently caress. I run Kumho KU31 245/40/17 on 9" wheels and my steering wasnt this heavy. It was a chore to steer it around, especially on the windy roads that I purposefully went to thrash it on (which it did well)

- the in-dash GPS/handsfree/media thing is loving terrible. touchscreens dont belong in cars.

- Confusing beeping noises when leaving the keyfob in the car/push to start just seems like a total wank. Something about turning a key is cool again after dealing with that.

- torque curve is lovely, though I am coming from a T28 SR20DET so what do I know. at least mine has some kind of character to it.

- tire chirps when coming out of driveways at even slightly sharp angles is stupid and just makes you look like you're driving like an rear end in a top hat with none of the perks of driving like an rear end in a top hat.

- cup holders in THE WORST spot in the centre console. Too far back to be reachable or too far forward to leave room for access to the 12v/storage area.

The good things I noticed:

+ I wish these seats were in every car I drove

+ generally a fun car to drive and the flappy paddles work better than expected (still prefer stick)

+ handling fo' days.

+ straight line isnt going to change the world but fun to whack into manual mode and tear rear end through the gears.

+ headlight technology has come a long way in 20 years.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

VodeAndreas posted:

Very nice!

My BRZ is just about due for its first service and I'm thinking of getting the shark-fin antenna added at the same time. I've seen some around and it looks so much better than the standard antenna.

You know, when I was first looking I didn't give the Series.Blue. a second thought. It was just visual stuff. Now that I have it though, I really like the visual punch it adds.

Helps that I got a decent deal on it. Dealer folded down to invoice pretty easily. Not much call for light RWD vehicles in western PA. It's a shame really because we do have the roads for it.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Laserface posted:

- the in-dash GPS/handsfree/media thing is loving terrible. touchscreens dont belong in cars.

The touchscreen's fine once you get used to it. The app/GPS can go suck all the dicks, though.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

bull3964 posted:

New avatar time for you I guess ;)

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Laserface posted:

bad Things I noticed:
- the brakes feel lovely. maybe its due to the automatic, but the pedal started firm and gradually got softer the more you stepped on it. Maybe I am just too used to engine braking.

Try replacing the stock pads. Stoptechs should be just fine. The stock pads are terrible and will barely engage ABS.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

GutBomb posted:

$24 at Toys R Us. Really fun to chase my dog around with.

Ugh want one of these so bad but cant find one.

Found "tuner car", my exact color too. Gonna break off the spoiler to match mine then race it with my 5 year old.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=31850266&cp=&parentPage=searchv

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 26, 2014

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Brigdh posted:

Try replacing the stock pads. Stoptechs should be just fine. The stock pads are terrible and will barely engage ABS.

I will be sure to do this on a rental car I returned last Tuesday.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Laserface posted:

I took one of these on a two day test drive on a recent work trip interstate. I rented one to get around and generally drive in a manner the previous salesman wouldnt really let me. I got an auto which was unfortunate, but not disappointing to drive.

after driving one again I can say they are definitely a fun car to drive, but not getting me out of my old rear end 240SX any time soon. its too similar in power and handling to bother spending 30K on. If I was to spend money on a new car it'd need 4 doors and more power, so likely a WRX. if they put a turbo on, or larger displacement with an interesting torque curve, I could be swayed.

bad Things I noticed:

- the steering is heavy as gently caress. I run Kumho KU31 245/40/17 on 9" wheels and my steering wasnt this heavy. It was a chore to steer it around, especially on the windy roads that I purposefully went to thrash it on (which it did well)

- Confusing beeping noises when leaving the keyfob in the car/push to start just seems like a total wank. Something about turning a key is cool again after dealing with that.

- torque curve is lovely, though I am coming from a T28 SR20DET so what do I know. at least mine has some kind of character to it.

- tire chirps when coming out of driveways at even slightly sharp angles is stupid and just makes you look like you're driving like an rear end in a top hat with none of the perks of driving like an rear end in a top hat.

- cup holders in THE WORST spot in the centre console. Too far back to be reachable or too far forward to leave room for access to the 12v/storage area.

You don't have a spend 30k to get into a BRZ(unless you want to Blue), most people seem to spend 24k-27k depending on what options they want.

The in-dash media is pretty annoying with the resistive touch screen. The whole centre console leaves things to be desired, cup holders included.

Torque curve is kinda lovely but it doesn't every often take away from my enjoyment of the car.

Having tires that let you break the rear end loose are pretty fun but when it comes time to replace them I am definitely getting something with more grip.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Calidus posted:

You don't have a spend 30k to get into a BRZ(unless you want to Blue), most people seem to spend 24k-27k depending on what options they want.

In Australia you do.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Calidus posted:

Yeah I think you're under on your estimates.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I'm still kinda shocked that you can rent Toyobarus. Between that and V8 Supercars, Australia must be the most civilized country in the world.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Laserface posted:

In Australia you do.

If you're buying new it's still 10k less than a Miata for a BRZ with a couple of options and out prices any potential competitors (especially if you're going for the Toyota)

When the Mustang arrives it might get a price competitor but that won't be until next year sometime.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the BRZ is $37k, the toyota GTS is $36K. they're both comparable in terms of trim.

If I was driving a clapped out Camry or something since I was 23, it would be an amazing upgrade. Ive owned a 180sx (a 97, the last ones they made) for 6 years now and the BRZ/86 is just a newer, more expensive one of those.

If I wanted to jazz up the appearance of what I had and keep the performance, I'd sell my car for 10 grand now and buy an S15 for under $16k

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Calidus posted:

Having tires that let you break the rear end loose are pretty fun but when it comes time to replace them I am definitely getting something with more grip.
In the northeastern US they tend to put Bridgestone turanza el400 all season tires on these cars instead of the Michelin primacy hp tires if you buy in the later months of the year. They were absolutely terrible. I replaced them with Michelin pilot super sports at the stock size and its night and day. They make the torque dip way more noticeable (at least for me, or maybe I'm just being more sensitive to the car now that I am trying new things to push these new tires), but they also make freeway on-ramps so much more fun. The performance in the rain is much more confidence inspiring as well.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 26, 2014

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Laserface posted:

the BRZ is $37k, the toyota GTS is $36K. they're both comparable in terms of trim.

If I was driving a clapped out Camry or something since I was 23, it would be an amazing upgrade. Ive owned a 180sx (a 97, the last ones they made) for 6 years now and the BRZ/86 is just a newer, more expensive one of those.

If I wanted to jazz up the appearance of what I had and keep the performance, I'd sell my car for 10 grand now and buy an S15 for under $16k

Bench-racing a brand-new modern car to used cars is never, ever going to work. Also in real life some people care about things like crash safety and warranties.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Calidus posted:

Cheapest you can get one in Manitoba, bare bones no added packages/accessories (which you can't really get as the block heater comes pre-installed for our cold climate), comes to ~33.5k OTD before financing.

Was seriously considering getting one when we were car shopping earlier this year, but between no financing incentives, dealers not moving on price since they have no trouble selling, and that the BRZ/FRS is just begging to be modded (one project at a time), it was a no go :( One day though...

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Cream_Filling posted:

Bench-racing a brand-new modern car to used cars is never, ever going to work. Also in real life some people care about things like crash safety and warranties.

Not to mention a known driving and repair history.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I've actually been considering selling mine. There are none new within 30 miles of me, the closest outside that want $30-32k, and none used. I want to put it out there for like, $24 and see if anyone bites.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Around here, the BRZ is going for invoice all day long which means you can pick up a Premium model with no options for $25.3 with very little negotiating (assuming you can find one.)

I'm still just utterly enamored with the car. I've only had my WRX out once since I picked up the BRZ. The WRX just feels like such a clumsy instrument now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

bull3964 posted:

Around here, the BRZ is going for invoice all day long which means you can pick up a Premium model with no options for $25.3 with very little negotiating (assuming you can find one.)

I'm still just utterly enamored with the car. I've only had my WRX out once since I picked up the BRZ. The WRX just feels like such a clumsy instrument now.

This is what I did, I basically walked into the dealer and paid below invoice on a 2013 MT Premium with 400 miles on it the midwest.

• Locked thread