Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Genocyber posted:

Where the hell is the lady I'm supposed to save in the Gnoll fortress?

http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/ar5100.htm

Her name is "Dynaheir"

Probably you thought the pit was blocking your way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kaschei posted:

http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/ar5100.htm

Her name is "Dynaheir"

Probably you thought the pit was blocking your way?

Without looking at that page, Dynaheir is at the bottom of one of the pits - the wood poles along the upper-left sides can actually be walked down by clicking along them like stairs, and at the bottom of one of those sets of stairs is her.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
You have to go right right down into it, because the fog of war covering her doesn't disappear until you're on her level at the absolute bottom of the pit. It's a real pain and kind of badly done.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I thought this was the most relevant place to ask this, being a D&D thread and all.

I was listening to a podcast from April 2014 about the Pathfinder MMO and their guest speaker was someone named Ryan Dancey. He just rubbed me the wrong way - his credentials were all business-related and not at all game-design related, and he kept talking in terms of how Pathfinder had overtaken sales of WOTC's D&D line and he kept talking down D&D 4th Edition as a bad move overall, and going so far as to say that World of Warcraft as an "amusement park" type of an MMO was a dead business model. And then when he was talking about his own company's work it was about how they had to run TWO Kickstarters for the Pathfinder MMO and the first one didn't even really yield anything as it was just about making a "technology demo" so they could show off something to traditional investors.

His description of the Pathfinder MMO itself was then similarly vague as it was all in pre-alpha and how it was a true sandbox with politics and player-made companies and settlements and kingdoms and it all sounded a lot like a pitch for Star Citizen the RPG.

Was that just me or was this guy slinging a lot of BS? Is the Pathfinder MMO really a thing?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
A more on-topic place to ask that (and you'll get better responses) is in the Pathfinder thread in Trad Games.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
I'd put it in one of the real D&D threads. This thread is a bit more focused, I think.

E: Or the Pathfinder one, yeah.

Your talk about kobolds and xvarts is interesting. BG1 has traditionally got quite good press (in the literal and just gamer-word-of-mouth senses) for not resorting to goblins yet a-bloody-gain, and trying to mix it up with the other options D&D gave them: ranged, trap-using kobolds; militarised, disciplined hobgoblins; xvarts with their village and bear friends and so on.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Genocyber posted:

Where the hell is the lady I'm supposed to save in the Gnoll fortress?

Check the bottom of those giant pits.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

You have to go right right down into it, because the fog of war covering her doesn't disappear until you're on her level at the absolute bottom of the pit. It's a real pain and kind of badly done.

I hate how NPCs won't pop in unless you're right next to them.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

I'm 99% sure she and basically every other NPC in BG1 are already spawned (they get a bit trickier in 2). It really is just that their fog of war thing seems to work really badly when they're trying to put things on different planes on an isometric background.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I've made it through the Candlekeep Dungeon, and I still feel like I'm doing something wrong. I decided that I'd go through some of the areas that I skipped earlier to see if I could level up a little before I returned to Baldur's Gate. Everyone in my party is at Level 6, but it still seems like I still have trouble with certain fights. I went to the cave near where you find Safana, and I had trouble fighting the Flesh Golems.

Minsc seems to have the most trouble, since he takes damage pretty easily. I don't know why though, since he has an AC of 1, and the two melee weapons load-outs I have for him (dual Maces & Spider's Bane) shouldn't affect him too much with skills he has (Two points in 2-handed sword; One point in Maces; One point in 2-handed style; and 3 points in Two Weapon Style). Khalid seems to have the same problem when fighting melee (even though when he has a shield equipped, he has a AC of -2).

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

So I've made it through the Candlekeep Dungeon, and I still feel like I'm doing something wrong. I decided that I'd go through some of the areas that I skipped earlier to see if I could level up a little before I returned to Baldur's Gate. Everyone in my party is at Level 6, but it still seems like I still have trouble with certain fights. I went to the cave near where you find Safana, and I had trouble fighting the Flesh Golems.

Minsc seems to have the most trouble, since he takes damage pretty easily. I don't know why though, since he has an AC of 1, and the two melee weapons load-outs I have for him (dual Maces & Spider's Bane) shouldn't affect him too much with skills he has (Two points in 2-handed sword; One point in Maces; One point in 2-handed style; and 3 points in Two Weapon Style). Khalid seems to have the same problem when fighting melee (even though when he has a shield equipped, he has a AC of -2).

What do your armor/misc slots look like? You can get some sets of Ankheg armor for two of your frontliners, and equip them with x of protections.

Make use of the damage type reduction belts, too, they can be surprisingly useful.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Ac of 1 or -2 are both pretty bad for a tank. You should have 18 dex, full plate, a Ring of protection, and a plus 1 shield. And a girdle.

Anyway flesh golems will still hit you. Best bet for them is a potion of absorption, which will trivialize anything with crushing damage.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

There isn't a high dex fighter in the game with decent HP, btw. Did you get the gauntlets of dexterity from the gnoll fortress? That is the best item in the game in terms of giving you a viable tank. Unlike 3rd edition and later, there's no penalty for wearing heavy armor, so your dude in fifty pounds of full plate can still dance around with 18 dex and get a -4 AC bonus.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

a medical mystery posted:

What do your armor/misc slots look like? You can get some sets of Ankheg armor for two of your frontliners, and equip them with x of protections.

Make use of the damage type reduction belts, too, they can be surprisingly useful.
I have one ankheg armor set, which is equipped on Jaheira. I locked myself out of getting another set by selling the shells to the Blacksmith in Beregost instead.

My character (a Fighter) has Full Plate Mail, Minsc has Plate Mail +1, and Khalid has standard Plate Mail. As far x of protections, my character has the Protection ring you get from Koveras, Khalid has a Cloak of Protection +1, and Imoen has another Ring of Protection.

I tried giving Imoen's Protection ring to Minsc, but it can't be worn in tandem with the Plate Mail +1. The same issue applies with the Ankheg armor; you can't have the armor and and a protection item (either the ring or a cloak) equipped at the same time.

I haven't found any damage reduction belts yet.

FairGame posted:

Ac of 1 or -2 are both pretty bad for a tank. You should have 18 dex, full plate, a Ring of protection, and a plus 1 shield. And a girdle.

Anyway flesh golems will still hit you. Best bet for them is a potion of absorption, which will trivialize anything with crushing damage.
My character has an AC of -5, 17 DEX, Full Plate, a Ring of Protection, and a +1 Large Shield, but no girdle.

Khalid has a DEX of 16 & is equipped with Plate Mail and a +1 Protection Cloak. For the most part, I have him use a Long Bow in fights. Occasionally, though, I'll have him switch to melee, and equip him with a +1 Medium Shield.

Minsc only has a DEX of 15. I can give him a +1 Shield, but the only thing he could use with it is a single mace. What I could do is switch out the +1 plate mail with full plate armor. That way, he can also equip a protection ring.

FairGame posted:

There isn't a high dex fighter in the game with decent HP, btw. Did you get the gauntlets of dexterity from the gnoll fortress? That is the best item in the game in terms of giving you a viable tank. Unlike 3rd edition and later, there's no penalty for wearing heavy armor, so your dude in fifty pounds of full plate can still dance around with 18 dex and get a -4 AC bonus.
Unfortunately, I can't get the Gauntlets of Dexterity anymore. The only way to get them is to fight the two half-ogres you meet on the bridge. Instead of doing that, I paid their toll, and they disappeared.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Minsc has low Dexterity. When you went to the gnoll fortress you would've got the gauntlets that raise your dexterity to 18, so make sure he's wearing them. Also equip a shield. In BG1 you'll want around -6 AC for your tank.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Max Wilco posted:

Unfortunately, I can't get the Gauntlets of Dexterity anymore. The only way to get them is to fight the two half-ogres you meet on the bridge. Instead of doing that, I paid their toll, and they disappeared.

See what you get for not killing everything? :)

Anyway, there are at least three girdles that are useful, maybe more in EE.

A girdle that gives a bonus against slashing weapons can be found on one of he adventuring parties that fights you. I want to say its at the bottom of the basilisk map, but I might be wrong.

The girdle of piercing is found on the ogre with a belt fetish south of the friendly arm. You maybe already gotten it and returned it to the gnome in the friendly arm. You can, uh...still get it back, but it involves a massive reputation hit.

The girdle of bluntness is in the cloud peak mountains. It's on one of the dudes trying to chop down a dryad tree.

Any of those three would help.

There are also a couple helmets in baldurs gate city that give an AC bonus.

You should have found a cloak of protection +2 in the candle keep catacombs. If you missed it, no going back.

There is a ring of protection +2 in the pagoda in baldurs gate city.

Other than that, though , you're not going to fix your AC much. Might be time to embrace ranged tactics. If your main guy has 19 con after the tome in the flesh golem cave, he can wear bentleys buckler and regenerate HP. That's one way to mitigate, I guess.

There's a plus two shield on the very last floor of durlags tower, but if you got down there...you don't need any more help.

no thanks
Jun 18, 2008
At this point in the game you should have 2 sets of full plate - 1 from the blacksmith in Beregost, 1 from Taugozs Khosann i the Bandit Camp, both of these should still be available to you. There is another suit, plus a suit of plate mail +3, in Durlag's Tower, but as has been stated, if you can get these you don't need our help.

You're at the point where most people do the TotSC content, it sounds like you need to do a bit more exploring before you jump in to that. Fights against other adventuring group-type parties are the toughest in the game, cast some pre-buff spells and don't be afraid of using wands and potions to get through them.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Full plate is the best armour in BG1, despite not being magical, because it allows wearing rings and cloaks of protection.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

no thanks posted:

You're at the point where most people do the TotSC content, it sounds like you need to do a bit more exploring before you jump in to that. Fights against other adventuring group-type parties are the toughest in the game, cast some pre-buff spells and don't be afraid of using wands and potions to get through them.

I was actually planning on skipping the TotSC content because of the difficulty. Is that a bad idea?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Max Wilco posted:

I was actually planning on skipping the TotSC content because of the difficulty. Is that a bad idea?

do durlag's tower at least.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Max Wilco posted:

Do UPPER durlags. That part is manageable.

Also buy yourself a scroll of magic protection and then go waltz thru the polar island quest that shangalar sends you on. You won't get much in he way of useful items, but it's free experience points since other than like 2 ankiel's there is nothing in that cave that can hurt you when protected from magic.

no thanks
Jun 18, 2008
If you have completed chapter 5 & 6 then TotSC is within your capabilities, perhaps do a bit more exploring and try to pick up some more powerful gear (e.g. Helm and Cloak of Balduran, Ring of Protection +2, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, some of the +2 weapons if you don't already have them, some fancy potions/scrolls from Sorcerous Sundries) then go for the Ice Isle, Balduran's Island and finally Durlag's Tower.

DT is one of the best dungeons in the series, and is closer in its design to the places you'll encounter in BG2 than what you are used to so far.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So Icewind Dale 1/2 are 3.5 right? IE Dexterity get's reduced by wearing heavy armor, so you can't just get 18 Dex then put on Full Plate Mail and suddenly have -5 AC?

Trying to set up a Fighter/Druid, and it's hard figuring out a way to get high dex/strength for shapeshifting, good con for survival, and then 17 loving wisdom and charisma so I can dual. I hope/assume this will be like Baldur's Gate in that my Fighter/Druid dual will be able to use all weapons/heavy armors like Jaheria could?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

IWD1 is 2nd edition. IWD2 is 3.0 and you don't have super high ability requirements to dual in that version. Any character can choose any of the base classes at will, I believe, other than monk and paladin which you have to choose at first level (IIRC).

edit: In 3.0 the base classes have different proficiencies that all essentially "stack" so that if you have a level in fighter you have all martial proficiencies, while rogues and druids have (slightly overlapping) special proficiency sets. If you are a 1 Foo/1 Bar/1 Baz you can use any weapon whose proficiency is provided by the Foo, Bar, or Baz classes, or you can always spend a feat to buy weapon proficiency: martial or weapon proficiency: exotic.

Also I think you're mistaken about Jaheira, she should only be able to use Druid weapons, and if you dual class Fighter>Druid or Druid>Fighter in a 2.0 game you should be careful not to spend weapon proficiencies in classes druids can't use, as they will be useless when you recover your original class.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 25, 2014

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Jaheira and fighter/druids can use plate armour in bg1 and 2 and stuff like scimitars. unless they changed it for the EE or you running one of the mods that changes it around. not sure about IWD though.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So honestly what is a Druid supposed to be in DnD?

In BG Jaheria could use plate like a Cleric, so she constantly had -4+ AC, and leveling up Clubs/using Shelliligh gave her good damage. I had her set up as a frontliner with Khalid/Minsc/PC and that worked fine. And on the plus side she had great CC/Buffs throughout the game.

If I can't give them armor in IWD, doesn't that just make them a lovely mage/lovely cleric? Why wouldn't I just make a second Mage for CC if I have to babysit them, or a second Cleric if I want a healer that can not die if it gets looked at funny.

Trying to figure out how I want to build this class is all.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Scimitars, clubs and quarterstaves.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Rookersh posted:

In BG Jaheria could use plate like a Cleric, so she constantly had -4+ AC, and leveling up Clubs/using Shelliligh gave her good damage. I had her set up as a frontliner with Khalid/Minsc/PC and that worked fine. And on the plus side she had great CC/Buffs throughout the game.

If I can't give them armor in IWD, doesn't that just make them a lovely mage/lovely cleric? Why wouldn't I just make a second Mage for CC if I have to babysit them, or a second Cleric if I want a healer that can not die if it gets looked at funny.

Druids are better mages than mages are in IWD1.

A fighter/druid multi or dual let's you ration spells better because IWD1 rewards the use of fighters for as many you can find the right weapons for.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rookersh posted:

Fighter/druids should be able to use plate, but they're still limited to druid weapons, and they might not be able to wear plate again until you get your fighter levels back in the case of a dual class character (I'm not sure, I've never tried). But druids are loving boss in IWD, I'd go fighter/druid multiclass though probably.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rookersh posted:

If I can't give them armor in IWD, doesn't that just make them a lovely mage/lovely cleric?

Druids have a different spell list.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Deaderinred posted:

Jaheira and fighter/druids can use plate armour in bg1 and 2 and stuff like scimitars. unless they changed it for the EE or you running one of the mods that changes it around. not sure about IWD though.

Scimitars are druid weapons! The edged rule only applies to clerics, druids are a mixed bag for some reason.

And yeah armor proficiencies are different and their rules are another set of edge cases in 2nd edition.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Druids are utility spellcasters, more so than Mages or Clerics. In particular they get very strong-for-the-spell-level summons and debuffs like Summon Woodland Being and Summon Insects.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
In IWD they also can turn into forms like elementals that aren't complete dogshit iirc.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

In BG (EEs, probably in regular one too) if you create a human avenger and then dual into fighter, you could wear any armor except studded leather, circumventing one of that kits weaknesses. Sadly, you'll probably want the opposite; starting as a fighter and continuing as a druid.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Disco Infiva posted:

In BG (EEs, probably in regular one too) if you create a human avenger and then dual into fighter, you could wear any armor except studded leather, circumventing one of that kits weaknesses. Sadly, you'll probably want the opposite; starting as a fighter and continuing as a druid.

This dual requires the Tome of Strength, I think, since Human Avengers start with 16 STR maximum.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Deaderinred posted:

Let us know when you get to Firkraags Unsheathed Sword*

Master of nymphology what the hell, hahaha. And i hear they are making a version for bg1 too!

*the actual loving name of the component

Firkraag was actually kinda funny, but Saemon is my favourite so far both in purple prose and what a spectacularly dumb decision this would be for any character.

Also, Xan threw a fit right after and sarcastically asked if I was going to bang Irenicus next, which I am pretty upset I don't think is an option (yet).

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

:stare:

I don't want sex to remind me of goddamn seasickness, Saemon. Your writers are bad at this.

Oh, and another :stare: for when I looked up the list of encounters. No Irenicus, but Bodhi? Sendai? A cambion? Cyric? What?

(On the other hand, the 'flatter Nizidramanii'yt and do its nails to get the cup off it' one sounds hilarious.)

Wait, no, what the poo poo?

quote:

Variables:
RE_AnneFlirt=1 - if PC flirted with her even a little
RE_AnneTriedRape=1 - if PC flirted with her against her will
Either the authors have the worst loving ideas about how to name their flags or they wrote in lines for the PC to rape someone. :gonk:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

a medical mystery posted:

Druids are utility spellcasters, more so than Mages or Clerics. In particular they get very strong-for-the-spell-level summons and debuffs like Summon Woodland Being and Summon Insects.

They also get generally better attack spells than Mages, as long as you have Heart of Winter installed.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Either the authors have the worst loving ideas about how to name their flags or they wrote in lines for the PC to rape someone. :gonk:

Looking at the dialogue files, it's the second one. Girl punches your character in the face and runs off though while your party members all yell at you for being disgusting.

Also that isn't near the rapiest thing in this mod, at least playing as a female. How else was my character supposed to get to the Pirate King to send me to Spellhold? :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

MorgaineDax posted:

Also that isn't near the rapiest thing in this mod, at least playing as a female. How else was my character supposed to get to the Pirate King to send me to Spellhold? :gonk:

Killing the pirate king in his house is fun since he still spawns when you try to steal his boat. Or that might just be in BG2:EE, I can't remember what happened in vanilla.