Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

I'm just hoping they don't completely spoil Xenoblade like Brawl did for Mother3. :argh:

I'm not gonna lie this is why I made myself finally power through the rest of Xenoblade a week ago. It's a good as hell game but its also really long. Thank you Smash Bros for making me finish it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Chakram posted:

The fact that they're still using Twilight Princess designs for the Zelda characters instead of Skyward Sword is a bit of a spoiler for details on the end of that game. (no Ganon.)

Except that all the promotional material and interviews leading up to SS explicitly said "no Ganon" over and over so it wasn't really a secret.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Kay Kessler posted:

To be fair I don't think anyone plays that game for the plot.

"plot"

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

Duck Hunt's going too far for me. He's from a game that sold a lot, but how much would it have if it wasn't bundled with Super Mario Bros?

It was literally the first video game I ever played or knew about. It, SMB and that track game was the only game my grandpa's NES had. My introduction to video games as a pure concept was hearlded by mario and that loving dog.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

DrPaper posted:

It was literally the first video game I ever played or knew about. It, SMB and that track game was the only game my grandpa's NES had. My introduction to video games as a pure concept was hearlded by mario and that loving dog.

The dog taught me hate.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Justin_Brett posted:

Duck Hunt's going too far for me.

Same. When will Sakurai stop spoiling all these games that people haven't had a chance to play?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

Duck Hunt's going too far for me. He's from a game that sold a lot, but how much would it have if it wasn't bundled with Super Mario Bros?

I think that's the point. Like 9/10 kids who played Super Mario Brothers probably had that combo kart. It's also like the only game anyone knows that used the NES Zapper. It's super iconic of early NES.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Ah, so you're a backstory kinda guy...

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Duck Hunt's Zapper was right there alongside ROB as the two reasons they were able to trojan horse the NES into stores as a 'toy' when nobody wanted to buy a new video game system. Duck Hunt Dog's earned his place.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Kay Kessler posted:

I'm just hoping they don't completely spoil Xenoblade like Brawl did for Mother3. :argh:

I hope they do and also add Seven as a playable character

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

While we're talking about the Duck Hunt dog, anyone who says they didn't put the zapper right up next to the TV screen to cheat at the game is a huge liar and their crimes are probably as terrible as the dog himself.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Duck Hunt was pretty much the Zapper game. If ROB gets in then this makes sense to me too.

But WTF will his move set be

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

So is Ness in?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

FraudulentEconomics posted:

The dog taught me hate.

That loving Laugh is embedded into the psyche of anyone that owned an NES just as clearly as the SMB music. Even if it didn't become a huge franchise that had bestsellers on every Nintendo console it is still more iconic to anyone who owned an NES than the Ice Climbers or even ROB were. (More people owned the version that lacked ROB and just came with the combo cart and a zapper)

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

can someone draw all the ducks riding on the dog's back carrying zappers in their beaks and blindly shooting lasers everywhere tia

Harlock posted:

So is Ness in?

yes but lucas was cut out.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Harlock posted:

So is Ness in?

All signs point to yes.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah, Duck Hunt was pretty much the Zapper game. If ROB gets in then this makes sense to me too.

You can't control him. If you pick him he just sits there.

And laughs.

Forever.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Also the little sound cue when the dog pops up holding the ducks. Bumble-dump-dump Dump-dump-dump-dump

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Man. I used to spam Game & Watch's taunt, but that will be nothing compared to how I'm going to spam the Duck Hunt taunt.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Excels posted:

yes but lucas was cut out.

I'm still a believer in Lucas.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Monkey Fracas posted:

Neutral B - Zapper
Up B - Duck Flight
Side B - Pounce
Down B - Laugh(think jigglypuff's rest)

YOU HEARD IT HERE

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Polo-Rican posted:

So Ridley seems pretty much confirmed by this point? All of these proven legit leakers keep claiming he's in. Shouldn't the internet be exploding now?

Everyone's just taking in one, collective gasp of air to let out the shriek you'll be hearing any second now.

Excels posted:

I think if all of these are true, and the rest are possibly DLC, I'm officially shifting into maximum overhype

I don't even know if to believe this or if it's just "too good to be true" tacked on to what we already know. I don't know what to believe any more. Sakurai is taking us all with him when the great Smash Riots of '14 burn the world to the ground!

e: Though if Dixie were in the game, wouldn't there be shots of her for the ESRB since she's a female monkey wearing a shirt and no pants? I can't believe what I am typing.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 25, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Do you think people would be angrier if Ridley and Mewtwo weren't in the game, or if they were, but Duck Hunt Dog's taunt somehow ISN'T the wheezy laugh

wefeelgroove
Oct 21, 2010

mabels big day posted:

To my knowledge, Iggy has never been in a clown car in any of the games.

DrPaper posted:

As far as I remmember Iggy has never been in the Clown car.

That's Larry in that picture, you noobs. :smug:

Speaking of Koopa Kids, I absolutely love them in Mario Kart 8 and Lemmy is hands down my favorite. I look forward to having Lemmy be my main in SSB if this is true.

Ultigonio posted:

Either way, I'm more annoyed about the leak than anything else. Mainly because the fact that Dark Pit, Doc, and Lucina are separated into their own "clone" section bugs the heck outta' me, as well as the fact that Yoshi is between Rosalina and the rest of the Mario characters, despite him having an entirely separate emblem and being considered part of a different series. If this is what the final roster looks like (and I hope it doesn't, because the arrangement is stupid), then it's super lame. Getting spoiled instead of being excited for character reveals is also really lame.

Maybe the characters are in weird places because not everyone has been unlocked in that screen yet? Didn't the previous games do some weird juggling while you were unlocking characters? (please don't take the Ice Climbers away, Sakurai, please. :ohdear:)

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Militree posted:

I'm still a believer in Lucas.

There's always the chance he was downgraded to a costume for Ness, I suppose. (They might as well throw in Ninten too if that's the case.)

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Zonekeeper posted:

There's always the chance he was downgraded to a costume for Ness, I suppose. (They might as well throw in Ninten too if that's the case.)

picking ninten changes all the music to NES music.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I hope we finally get Pokey/Porky Means Business as a stage theme.

bad frog
Dec 21, 2003

listen up
Calling Duck Hunt's FS to be either shooting the Zapper ala Zero Suit Samus's FS, or a storm of ducks flying out of suddenly sprouted bushes.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Excels posted:

Do you think people would be angrier if Ridley and Mewtwo weren't in the game, or if they were, but Duck Hunt Dog's taunt somehow ISN'T the wheezy laugh

This would be a videogame war crime.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Suspicious Cook posted:

Everyone's just taking in one, collective gasp of air to let out the shriek you'll be hearing any second now.

I don't even know if to believe this or if it's just "too good to be true" tacked on to what we already know. I don't know what to believe any more. Sakurai is taking us all with him when the great Smash Riots of '14 burn the world to the ground!

e: Though if Dixie were in the game, wouldn't there be shots of her for the ESRB since she's a female monkey wearing a shirt and no pants? I can't believe what I am typing.

look at the dates man
it predates the picture leaks

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

It's going to be weird having Ice Climbers cut but having Ice Climber enemies hanging around in Smash Run.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

DrPaper posted:

look at the dates man
it predates the picture leaks

I did, but dates can be Photoshopped easily. I am basically :tinfoil: right now.

Crawfish posted:

It's going to be weird having Ice Climbers cut but having Ice Climber enemies hanging around in Smash Run.

We had an Animal Crossing stage without Villager, though.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Excels posted:

picking ninten changes all the music to NES music.

Expanding on it, if Bowser Jr's "costumes" are just going to be the 7 koopalings, then what's stopping them from making all the PSI users from the Earthbound series Ness's alts?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If the Duck Hunt dog's taunt were not the laugh, I think would actually be the biggest wasted opportunity in all of video game history.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Excels posted:

but Duck Hunt Dog's taunt somehow ISN'T the wheezy laugh

Come on now, they're obviously going to use the original soundbyte.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

wefeelgroove posted:

That's Larry in that picture, you noobs. :smug:

Speaking of Koopa Kids, I absolutely love them in Mario Kart 8 and Lemmy is hands down my favorite. I look forward to having Lemmy be my main in SSB if this is true.

Maybe the characters are in weird places because not everyone has been unlocked in that screen yet? Didn't the previous games do some weird juggling while you were unlocking characters? (please don't take the Ice Climbers away, Sakurai, please. :ohdear:)

Ice climbers are dead I killed them

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Bicyclops posted:

If the Duck Hunt dog's taunt were not the laugh, I think would actually be the biggest wasted opportunity in all of video game history.

One taunt for the laugh, one taunt for the bark, one taunt for holding up a dead duck. Duck Hunt Dog writes himself.

Except for the whole moveset thing. Which I have no idea.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Kelp Plankton posted:

Except for the whole moveset thing. Which I have no idea.

He ties two ducks together to make duck-chucks.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

wefeelgroove posted:

In Melee, Pikachu switched with Luigi, but that was it.

In Brawl and SSB4, characters are inserted into the grid at various positions and the icons perioadically shrink, but the order of the characters when read from left to right never changes. Within this system, there's no way to get the "clone group" characters into position with the rest of their series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

In Melee, Pikachu switched with Luigi, but that was it.

In Brawl and SSB4, characters are inserted into the grid at various positions and the icons perioadically shrink, but the order of the characters when read from left to right never changes. Within this system, there's no way to get the "clone group" characters into position with the rest of their series.

Yeah but dude look at the roster layout in this grab and explain that to me

DrPaper posted:

Peep that roster layout.

• Locked thread