Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Did they make land mines less sensitive sometime in the last two years? I remember when I originally tried to get to the Marya encampment through the mine corridor, it was incredibly difficult to avoid mines. But I tried it again recently and it was a walk in the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

guppy posted:

Why do you go around the long way on the vamp platforms before the first ladder? Are the mines on that route easier to avoid?

On the most direct path, you have to run straight past a vampire in a way that often lets it get a push in. (If you look close, you see someone who took that route go flying past right as I start climbing the ladder.)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I had no idea how laggy my connection was until the last tier of Theme Park Tycoon.

I am never going to be able to kill that drat clown.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Buddy up, most combat missions can be trivialized by grouping. poo poo, for that matter one of us can probably just kill it for you without you having to lift a finger.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

guppy posted:

Buddy up, most combat missions can be trivialized by grouping. poo poo, for that matter one of us can probably just kill it for you without you having to lift a finger.

I will Exquisite Corpse it to death. :getin:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

the only problem is that some of the most annoying enemies I've encountered spawn in single-player dungeons.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Sometimes that's a problem. Other times you can Meet Up anyway and it will let you in. I remember doing this for that Issue mission in the plastic surgeon's shop.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Is City of the Sun God supposed to be this draggy?

I mean, I like the area's look but the actual questing appears to be a non-stop series of backtracks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kessel posted:

I mean, I like the area's look but the actual questing appears to be a non-stop series of backtracks.

Sort answer: Yes

Long answer: Joel Bylos hates you, your family and fun.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Kessel posted:

I stopped enjoying the missions as soon as I got out Kingsmouth. I keep thinking of playing the game again. Seems some stuff got added since I stopped playing.

not joseph stalin
Dec 30, 2008
So this game looks pretty fun. Never gonna play it as anything but casual, but the world seems awesome, and it sounds like it has great writing. What faction should I play for the best story?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

not joseph stalin posted:

So this game looks pretty fun. Never gonna play it as anything but casual, but the world seems awesome, and it sounds like it has great writing. What faction should I play for the best story?

Illuminati.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Any faction works.
Illuminati faction has a fantastic boss, dragon faction is more bizzare, and templar faction is ???(haven't tried them yet).

joke answer: Phoenicians

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Illuminati is a solid choice because the characters handler is fantastic. 99% of the story content is the same across all factions with the big difference being a small handful of missions. Of those unique missions I still think Templars have the best with Virgula Divina.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Dragon requires you to read between the lines a lot. You're told some really neat poo poo, and there's an entire thread of stuff going on behind the scenes that you're keyed into (and which is supposedly gonna come to a head by the end of Tokyo), but I don't think there's a single point in the story where you find out what you've been sent to do before you've already done it. I love that, but from what you've described I'd probably go Illuminati, because... well, play for fifteen minutes and you'll understand.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Is there a way to bind a key to a slash command? I want to bind something to /reloadui.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
I think there already is a hotkey combo for that. Try ctrl shift F1? Might be ctrl alt F1.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

I think there already is a hotkey combo for that. Try ctrl shift F1? Might be ctrl alt F1.

It's Ctrl+Shift+F1. You'll want to learn that combo and make it your best friend. It's quite common that quest rewards don't show up until you do that.

It used to also need to happen during Hell Eternal whenever you went up to fight Eblis.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Thanks. The UI just breaks so drat often.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kessel posted:

Thanks. The UI just breaks so drat often.

That's a feature and is working as intended.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The Binding is a hell of a quest. I can't believe I printed out a loving map to draw lines on it, or that the Egyptian math I read about a long time ago would actually come in handy :v:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

TSW has been distracting from the real need to apartment hunt, so I'm gonna take a break from it for awhile.
does funcom do any regularly scheduled events that I need to check out?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

tuluk posted:

TSW has been distracting from the real need to apartment hunt, so I'm gonna take a break from it for awhile.
does funcom do any regularly scheduled events that I need to check out?

They do annual events like Halloween, Christmas and the games launch anniversary (In July). All of which last for a few weeks. It is possible that they will do something prior to the launch of Issue 10, they did an event prior to Issue 9 which was supposed to take a month to complete and ended up running for a lot longer.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

thanks,
will be there for any kind of halloween event.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

tuluk posted:

thanks,
will be there for any kind of halloween event.

Be ready for Jack-o-lantern golem fights!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Two more reasons it's great to be Illuminati.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBQalkIeE7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DqK2PkFgtw

:allears:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

dragon has it's moments too.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I liked the Dragon debrief for the Big terrible picture: "We, as always, are the third element - the third jewel in which the world will take final and everlasting refuge."

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The Dragon definitely strike me as being the closest to whatever ineffable truth there is in the universe. The Templars are basically old-world ORDER and JUSTICE and RIGHTEOUSNESS and the Illuminati basically want to gently caress everyone and everything.

I'm very ambivalent about City of the Sun God. The area itself is decent-looking, the quest design is poo poo, but the overarching story that runs through the whole area is depressing and pretty well-written. Now I'm in Transylvania and it's pretty much what I expected it to be.

edit - I have a technical question about Reap and Sew. It says it grants a leech effect of x%. Does that mean I get x% of my damage back as healing, or does it mean I deal x% extra damage on top of my normal damage which is returned as healing?

Kessel fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 25, 2014

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Kessel posted:

edit - I have a technical question about Reap and Sew. It says it grants a leech effect of x%. Does that mean I get x% of my damage back as healing, or does it mean I deal x% extra damage on top of my normal damage which is returned as healing?

It's x% of your damage back as healing. It scales very well.

(About half the point of AEGIS is to make non-leech healing even remotely viable again.)

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I haven't played in a long time, but I logged in and I have this Venetian Agenda story mission. They want me to complete the sequences. It was pretty horrible but I finally finished the hotel one on novice. I got 6 ... blue Venetian bucks, and need 80 to get my seal of approval. So I basically need to do it 13 more times? I hope not. I saw an option to buy a forgery, but it wasn't highlighted despite me having the credits.

It will probably go easier once I get used to the controls again.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Cheston posted:

(About half the point of AEGIS is to make non-leech healing even remotely viable again.)

Yeah, it's great that they're trying to revive the exhilarating gameplay of fist/blood healers.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Gearing question. Sorry in advance if it's dumb.

This is my character: http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Talkalot

I've been using a leech build and a mishmash of QL8-10 gear. I like assault rifles and don't really have a strong preference on my secondary, though I've tried Blood and Shotgun and enjoyed them both. What should my next step be in terms of gear? So far I've just been choosing things that have the highest attack rating, followed by hit rating and penetration. I see that the QL10 greens have a HP bonus but less attack rating than what I currently have on - should I be going for those?

Please assume I am an idiot and know nothing about sensible gearing in TSW.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
^ get goons to run you through elites. If we can get the old group back together I'll even stop playing ff14 long enough to come along.

Also: go ar blood

I'm disappointed I missed out on the dumpster fire a few pages back. DPS wearing an HP piece outside of key fights is so lol. That's what purple vigors are for nub.

Still never got my coney island band. I had a twice a week static but stopped showing up as soon as I installed ff14.

On the topic of tanking: 7k is more than sufficient in most dungeons. My goal was to push DPS as hard as possible as a tank, but I don't recall what numbers I was regularly hitting. I never adapted to the new blade+fist tank DPs meta because at that point I had switched to at blood DPs permanently.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

GEMorris posted:

Got a build to look at? I can start grinding PVP marks for a blood focus tonight. :)

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

prefect posted:

Got a build to look at? I can start grinding PVP marks for a blood focus tonight. :)

I will log in tonight and get my build and post it here. It is post-FitH crit changes, but I'm not sure about any changes since then.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I was never willing to put the time or money into getting purple vigors, so even that is hardly a requirement. (And certainly no one in Elites should be wasting their time or Pax on them.)

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
AR Blood DPS

ACTIVES

Hip Fire
Bloodshot
Three Round Burst
Exsanguinate
Suppressing Fire
Cannibalize
Do Or Die

PASSIVES

Steady Hip Fire
Thicker Than Water
Brawler
Lethality
Twist The Knife
Elemental Force
Seal the Deal

Build to 4 with hip fire, then 2x Bloodshot, Three Round Burst, Cannibalize if its up, and then Exsanguinate on your Ele Force auto-crit. At least 2 out of 3 Exsanguinates are going to be on 0 blood resources, so your healer needs to know whats up. Swap hip fire for suppressing fire on add-heavy bosses/phases. This build is specifically for the NY Raid (and I use Dragon's Breath with Searing Magnesium there, but I would swap the passive to the cooldown reducer outside the raid).

You can eek out a tiny bit more dps if you weave the first bloodshot in after 2x hip fire after the first rotation for the blood offering boost, but I never bother.

I really recommend 1-2 purple vigours or at least 2x blue vigours for this build.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 26, 2014

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
DEAR TSW, REGARDING YOUR BARBERS:

quote:

For over two years I've been going to them and putting up with their faux cockney nonsense but yesterday they said something to me that I actually took quite personally!

He said "you're not one of those bacon bonces are you?". I was so shocked that I really didn't know what to say.

For those who don't know the term bacon bonce is rhyming slang for nonce. Back when the barber in eldwic was still alive it would have been a negative term used to describe a gay man. Now it's a term to mean paedophile. Either way it's a negative term and there really wasn't any call for the barber to ask me a question like that!

I'm a openly gay man and I felt like I was being attacked on a multitude of levels. If I took the comment in the way the barber had intended it (ye olde cockney) then he was asking if I was gay and doing so in a way that was quite offensive. If I was to take the comment in it's current usage then he was asking if I was a paedophile which also felt like an attack at my sexuality (you must be gay so you must be a paedophile).

While I may be over reacting to a simple line of dialogue I've also found his comments about women's chests to be demeaning. There is no space for this in Eldwic or the community in genral. Eldwic is a place that allows vampires, ghouls and Illuminati to trade equally without being judged (aside from that really annoying guard who keeps talking about flooding darkside but we can't seem to shake them!) I should be able to get my hair cut and play a game that I love without feeling attacked by the NPCs!

Amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

GEMorris posted:

^ get goons to run you through elites. If we can get the old group back together I'll even stop playing ff14 long enough to come along.

I'm disappointed I missed out on the dumpster fire a few pages back. DPS wearing an HP piece outside of key fights is so lol. That's what purple vigors are for nub.

Still never got my coney island band. I had a twice a week static but stopped showing up as soon as I installed ff14.

On the topic of tanking: 7k is more than sufficient in most dungeons. My goal was to push DPS as hard as possible as a tank, but I don't recall what numbers I was regularly hitting. I never adapted to the new blade+fist tank DPs meta because at that point I had switched to at blood DPs permanently.

Non existent goon group offers irrelevant and inapplicable advice in game they no longer play - NEWS AT 11

This is the worst thread. Dumpster fire implies that this place is a dumpster, which is an apt comparison.

• Locked thread