Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

The engineering and planning that went into all of it is really impressive. It makes you wonder where we would be as a nation if it had been directed to a more peaceful application.

It simply wouldn't have been done. The best we can hope for is peaceful applications of former military technology. The internet, GPS, space program, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

The black dot near the top seems to be Moscow (Idaho) as well.

I'm surprised they weren't considering INEL though.

No that's totally Pullman because gently caress a coug.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm suprised the map doesn't have Pax River Naval Air Station or Annapolis directly targetted. Though, I guess when you have a dozen or so nukes hitting 20 miles northwest of you, the fallout will do its thing, anyway.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From a Florida resident... what the gently caress is worth nuking in Fort Myers? Or Sarasota? Was the Soviet Union really that worried about our stockpiles of retired elderly northerners? They figure those two cities, and Tallahassee (which they can have) are worth nuking, but not Key West?

All hail the Conch Republic, I suppose.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
So anyway, about politics.

http://www.businessinsider.com/paul-ryan-hillary-clinton-obama-foreign-policy-2014-8

Paul Ryan is jumping on the sore loser train with Mitt.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

If I were some Russian guy tasked with coming up with 500 second strike targets after big cities I think I'd start picking random poo poo to blow up that would piss Americans off. Mount Rushmore, Lincoln's birthplace, The Baseball Hall of Fame, that sort of stuff. For the real tears I'd nuke anything having to do with the Confederacy and leave all the rednecks standing. I guess that precludes blowing up Lincoln's birthplace though.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I'm surprised Bill's Delicious Candy Store in downtown Whogivesashit, Nowhere, isn't on that old-rear end irrelevant map! I thought something had actually happened :(

Mike Brown's funeral was today.

And in a major blow to white people the world over, Napa Valley suffered some serious damage from an earthquake yesterday morning. I wonder how many dollars worth of grapes were shaken off their vines, it's coming up on harvest time.

Sir Tonk posted:

god bless you sir

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

1337JiveTurkey posted:

If I were some Russian guy tasked with coming up with 500 second strike targets after big cities I think I'd start picking random poo poo to blow up that would piss Americans off. Mount Rushmore, Lincoln's birthplace, The Baseball Hall of Fame, that sort of stuff. For the real tears I'd nuke anything having to do with the Confederacy and leave all the rednecks standing. I guess that precludes blowing up Lincoln's birthplace though.
Every In-n-Out and Whataburger.

EDIT: Also, while he was way overblown about it and I don't like the guy or agree with his foreign policy, I have to admit that Mitt was actually right in putting a focus on Russia. They have continued the downhill slide, even accelerated it.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 25, 2014

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Sir Tonk posted:

http://www.businessinsider.com/paul-ryan-hillary-clinton-obama-foreign-policy-2014-8

Are we meant to think there was a point at which he thought they were wrong?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

mdemone posted:

I wonder this as well, none of the major crop of candidates has any capacity for introspection these days. Also it would be a serious derail of their message and undermine their major campaign planks of "just trust us, we know better" and "it's too complicated for you".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Lincoln's birthplace is within thermonuclear explosion range of this place: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Grass_Army_Depot

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

mdemone posted:

I think it's more of a "Told you so!"

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

mdemone posted:

Yeah and in 2016 you should definitely vote for them.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

what are they claiming to be right about?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

mdemone posted:

This should be a major consideration in our newsmedia (is what we're saying here loving obvious) but really a lot of them just use news to fill the slots between advertising - either they've got to fill column inches/content minutes in "old media" or they're in "new media" where every new article is more places to put ads.

hangedman1984 posted:

what are they claiming to be right about?

Foreign policy. Which is silly because unless you can credibly convince Putin you're crazy enough to invade Russia over east Ukraine (much less Crimea) you're not going to do better than Obama did.

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 25, 2014

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Things like "Russia bad" and "Democrats Bad" and "Republicans are great"

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

ReindeerF posted:

Every In-n-Out and Whataburger.

EDIT: Also, while he was way overblown about it and I don't like the guy or agree with his foreign policy, I have to admit that Mitt was actually right in putting a focus on Russia. They have continued the downhill slide, even accelerated it.

According to who, CNN? Russia is still in shambles, there are just piles of dead reporters not elaborating on the details anymore.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Axolotl posted:

I think it's more of a "Told you so!"

Sir Tonk posted:

Yeah and in 2016 you should definitely vote for them.

In 2012 there was a sizable and legitimate push-back against the GOP foreign policy as being too "hawkish" and paranoid about other large world powers, namely China and Russia. Virtually every liberal response to the GOP mentioning Russia was "psh the Cold War ended years ago grandpa!"

So not so much "I told you so!" or "Romney/Ryan 2016!" as "the GOP foreign policy isn't as out-of-touch as a lot of liberals like to think it is/portray it as."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I can get behind the nuclear obliteration of stone mountain.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I can get behind the nuclear obliteration of stone mountain.

Timed to go off simultaneously with the very last firework in the laser show.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Amergin posted:

In 2012 there was a sizable and legitimate push-back against the GOP foreign policy as being too "hawkish" and paranoid about other large world powers, namely China and Russia. Virtually every liberal response to the GOP mentioning Russia was "psh the Cold War ended years ago grandpa!"

So not so much "I told you so!" or "Romney/Ryan 2016!" as "the GOP foreign policy isn't as out-of-touch as a lot of liberals like to think it is/portray it as."

Invade everyone. Force is the only answer. Killing is the only way to stop war.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Invade everyone. Force is the only answer. Killing is the only way to stop war.

Counterpoint: Diplomacy has been working swimmingly with I/P, Syria, Libya, Russia/Ukraine, Iraq/IS...

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Mitt would have dumped arms onto Syrian rebels that would never have fallen into the hands of ISIL.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Amergin posted:

You're not getting better at the trolling thing, just FYI.

However, I do feel compelled to point out that since the GOP foreign policy planks pretty much consist of "TURN IT INTO A GODDAMN GLASS COVERED PARKING LOT", I'd say that no, they are indeed still out-of-touch--especially considering that the vast majority of Americans are against sending troops back to Iraq.

vv Also this.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Every time I've seen a Republican hold forth on this "GOP++" foreign policy issue in front of a semi-competent interviewer they have eaten poo poo after the obvious "so what would you have done differently?" follow-up question. It's always a total fantasy or a "well the same as Obama but BETTER" or a dissembling nothing.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Amergin posted:

Counterpoint: Diplomacy has been working swimmingly with I/P, Syria, Libya, Russia/Ukraine, Iraq/IS...

Man, it's too bad that we have to either talk nicely to everyone or invade them and kill tons of them and there are no options in between. That would be cool.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Amergin posted:

War is a component of diplomacy itself. :colbert:

More seriously, a hawkish approach to international affairs still involves many of the same authorities and organizations as peaceful diplomacy does. The half-hearted hesitant waffling which seems to cripple many efforts at resolving conflicts would still be present in armed interventions, because many of the same people would be at the helm for either approach.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Cheekio posted:

According to who, CNN? Russia is still in shambles, there are just piles of dead reporters not elaborating on the details anymore.
Everyone who is a potential problem for the US internationally is in a shambles, including China, it doesn't mean they're not serious strategic problems for the US. I don't think Mitt has to be wrong about everything just because I think he has horrible politics.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

pangstrom posted:

Every time I've seen a Republican hold forth on this "GOP++" foreign policy issue in front of a semi-competent interviewer they have eaten poo poo after the obvious "so what would you have done differently?" follow-up question. It's always a total fantasy or a "well the same as Obama but BETTER" or a dissembling nothing.

"Shown real leadership" is another favored non-answer I hear from time to time, that to date I've never heard a concrete elaboration on what would constitute such.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Captain_Maclaine posted:

"Shown real leadership" is another favored non-answer I hear from time to time, that to date I've never heard a concrete elaboration on what would constitute such.
Smoke 'em out! Smoke 'em out!

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Alter Ego posted:

You're not getting better at the trolling thing, just FYI.

However, I do feel compelled to point out that since the GOP foreign policy planks pretty much consist of "TURN IT INTO A GODDAMN GLASS COVERED PARKING LOT", I'd say that no, they are indeed still out-of-touch--especially considering that the vast majority of Americans are against sending troops back to Iraq.

vv Also this.

1) That is not the "GOP foreign policy plank" but a hilarious strawman.
2) Many GOP politicians are also against sending troops back to Iraq, excluding the closet couple of Graham and McCain.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Not golfing? Sorry, I had to.

EDIT: But in reality there are things Obama could do to actually be a strong leader rather than showing half-hearted attempts at looking at issues. For instance, he could have gone to Ferguson and joined in the protests, rather than throwing Holder at the situation and assuring the black residents "It's cool, the FBI will sort this out."
Having the president there would have been a great show of leadership for the people of Ferguson and against the militarization and lack of representation in the police force. What did we get? Not great leadership.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 25, 2014

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Alter Ego posted:

If you nuke the middle east you'll hurt Israel and KSA and it will be that much harder to get the sweet, sweet crude.

The only way the GOP can say they are different from Democrats on foreign policy is that they will be tougher/stronger in some undefined way. The number one priority for both parties is keeping isolationism off the table because institutional groupthink says it is bad.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Amergin posted:

Wars always go swimmingly! Especially when dealing with the logistical problems that would come along with involving ourselves directly in Ukraine.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
While we're at Business Insider...

http://www.businessinsider.com/paul-ryan-government-shutdown-ex-im-bank-2014-8

PAUL RYAN: There Won't Be Another Government Shutdown Unless Democrats Force One

quote:

"Many of us who are critical of the bank feel that the wisest course is to carry this fight into next year," said Ryan, whose new book, "The Way Forward," was released this week.

"No, there will not be a government shutdown," Ryan added. "If there is a government shutdown, it'll be because the Democrats brought it about."

That likely means the Republican-controlled House will pass a short-term reauthorization of the bank's charter, as well as a continuing resolution to keep the government funded.

Speaking of books and ideas for America, Palin should write another book and call it Contract With Real America.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Reminds me of the 'if we stop paying some of our obligations it isn't really a default and it won't be so bad, but if it is bad it is the democrat's fault'

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I can't wait to see how the President's last two years pan out, especially if the GOP takes Congress.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

McDowell posted:

Mitt would have dumped arms onto Syrian rebels that would never have fallen into the hands of ISIL.

Just need little stickers on them that say "please don't use for religious oppression. K thanks."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Sir Tonk posted:

I can't wait to see how the President's last two years pan out, especially if the GOP takes Congress.

I suspect that's when the usual suspect who've been claiming that impeachment is a dumb idea that they want nothing to do with suddenly remember that we've always been at war with Eastasia that they've always been in favor of it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

DemeaninDemon posted:

Just need little stickers on them that say "please don't use for religious oppression. K thanks."

Ziptie a Mormon bible to them, it might make the wackier extremists avoid them and counts as missionary work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

On one hand Obama's diplomacy hasn't really impacted things one way or another, but on the other hand Republican diplomacy spent trillions trying to build a state in a country now on the verge of ceasing to exist because of it.

Tough choice, there.

• Locked thread