Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Did anyone else get the feeling that the Bioshock Infinite story was pretty ambivalent about slavery? It seemed like a really strange and creepy story direction when all the black resistance fighters turned on you for no good reason.
Infinite's story is convulted and halfassed and the entire racism plot is just a cheap way to make Columbia evil without ever exploring it in ay meaingful way. Once the game really starts going up its own rear end with the multiverse plot Columbia in general is just thrown to the wayside and not given much thought so that's why the game ends up with the message of "The crazy racists were right, the non-whites are just violent baby killers."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Did anyone else get the feeling that the Bioshock Infinite story was pretty ambivalent about slavery? It seemed like a really strange and creepy story direction when all the black resistance fighters turned on you for no good reason.

I get the impression that Ken Levine is quite well read when it comes to politics, but I don't think he actually cares about it.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Eruonen posted:

I definitely did miss that because I don't care at all about the game journalists and reviewers. (Followed immediately by a game review.)

Ahem. I mean I agree the industry sucks and a lot of people in it don't deserve fame, but it's just a question of where to draw the line.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Man I'd forgotten how much fun NiGHTS into Dreams is. 15 years since I last played it and it still holds up. Weirdly, the score-based mechanics and compact design make it feel more in common with a modern indie game than anything else.

What a lovely game.

The Humble SEGA bundle and BD talk has me on a SEGA kick. Which probably means I'll end up playing Bayonetta again.

Bayonetta 2: The one that got away.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Booker/Elizabeth/Comstock was good because it made sense and it gave them a reason to use the whole multiverse thing but then they kinda got really far up their rear end about it and used it to nearly explain everything (e.g. plasmids/vigors, how Songbird and those other dudes worked). I really don't care too much about the actual physics of the ending (how hilariously impossible it would be to erase the past to prevent the game's events from occuring) but everyone gets all tied up in trying to rationalize time travel tropes together.

BAS1 was pretty cool, and BAS2 was fun until it was decided it had to close off the entire Bioshock story because Levine was leaving so he had to make everything conveniently fit for nor real reason to what Elizabeth was doing but I guess it looked cool.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Infinite felt like a bad case of "perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle", except with a subject where the truth is pretty much firmly planted on one side. I didn't mind the time-travel part of the story, it was entertaining if full of plot-holes and made for some nice setpieces. The resistance and everything related to it fell flat on its face tho.

I wanted to like B:I because it was gorgeous, had a great soundtrack and the "tears" sounded like a fun time. But when you get to play it, it's a generic shooter with a flawed story that puts you in this beautiful world but doesn't let you explore it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

revdrkevind posted:

Ahem. I mean I agree the industry sucks and a lot of people in it don't deserve fame, but it's just a question of where to draw the line.

The Humble SEGA bundle and BD talk has me on a SEGA kick. Which probably means I'll end up playing Bayonetta again.

Bayonetta 2: The one that got away.

Looks like you'll just need to get a wii u :getin:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
'Oppressed become the oppressors' could have been handled very well, but combining it with slavery was very...welp. I don't think it was intentionally saying that The Blacks were as bad as Team Mighty Whitey, but the writers behind just weren't good enough to handle the thing with any real depth. Or subtlety.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

revdrkevind posted:

Not saying nobody should read them or that your complaints weren't valid. Everyone has their own opinions and way of doing things.
I just don't care for professional video game reviews at all and usually go by what likeminded people that I actually know recommend. Sometimes I'll take a gamble too.

I only voiced my positive opinion on BI because there was so much negativity being posted and someone who might like the game could potentially miss out on something cool because of that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

PantsBandit posted:

Looks like you'll just need to get a wii u :getin:

I thought Bayonetta 2 was coming to PC? maybe I lied to myself.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Drifter posted:

No it's not. It's fully funded by Nintendo.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Drifter posted:

The truth sucks. That's why. I mean, I don't have to worry because a wii U is around the corner but it would've been nice if Bayonetta at least got ported to the PC.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Is it possible to have the collector's edition of Divinity Original Sin, which includes two copies of the game, gifted? Asking since normal multi pack bundles aren't giftable but Steam doesn't seem to treat the CE of Original Sin as one.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Torabi posted:

Is it possible to have the collector's edition of Divinity Original Sin, which includes two copies of the game, gifted?

Yep, my GF gifted it to me, I received the game, plus an inventory-packed second copy to send to someone else.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Dominic White posted:

Yep, my GF gifted it to me, I received the game, plus an inventory-packed second copy to send to someone else.

Perfect. Thanks!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Oh yeah, a minor note on the Collectors Edition: Both people get the full pack of Divinity: OS, Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity, but only the main recipient gets the kickstarter/bonus DLC items, soundtrack and digital goodies.

They're completely unimportant though and you really shouldn't worry if you don't get them.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Dominic White posted:

Oh yeah, a minor note on the Collectors Edition: Both people get the full pack of Divinity: OS, Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity, but only the main recipient gets the kickstarter/bonus DLC items, soundtrack and digital goodies.

They're completely unimportant though and you really shouldn't worry if you don't get them.

Yeah the DLC seems rather worthless. Only getting the CE for the cheaper price per copy, and I thought you only got two copies of Original Sin and single copies of the older games. I might be misunderstanding the Steam page though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Important Weeklong Deals:

Secret of the Magic Crystals (get ya horse on) - $2.49
Tower of Guns (good game) - $4.79
Tabletop Simulator - $10.49
Killing Floor - $4.99

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Torabi posted:

Yeah the DLC seems rather worthless. Only getting the CE for the cheaper price per copy, and I thought you only got two copies of Original Sin and single copies of the older games. I might be misunderstanding the Steam page though.

I'm pretty sure both people get the full bundle of games, but only the first one gets the DLC/preorder perks. Either way, it's the cheapest/best way to get the game, and it was a significant discount during that summer sale encore day.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Quest For Glory II posted:

Important Weeklong Deals:

Secret of the Magic Crystals (get ya horse on) - $2.49
Tower of Guns (good game) - $4.79
Tabletop Simulator - $10.49
Killing Floor - $4.99
The Dark Falls are good creepy adventure games too.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Humble Flash Bundle

$1

Super Amazing Wagon Adventure
Full Bore
Tiny Barbarian DX

$6+

NEStalgia
Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures

Holy poo poo the $1 level is insane. Those are all supposed to be great. The $6 level however: hahaha

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Humble Flash Bundle

$1

Full Bore
Tiny Barbarian DX

$6+

NEStalgia

Holy poo poo the $1 level is insane. Those are all supposed to be great. The $6 level however: hahaha

Tiny Barbarian DX is an awesome game, though it was crashing for me the last few times I played it. The developer keeps bringing out new content too - it's not entirely finished yet, there are more episodes / acts to be made.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Humble Flash Bundle

$1

Full Bore
Tiny Barbarian DX

$6+

NEStalgia

Yeah, seconding that. All three of those $1 games are MAJOR recommendations. Not so much on the latter two.

I was a bit on the fence about Full Bore when I reviewed the first half a while back, but they've added a rewind/undo function that makes the previously bullshit-hard segments much, much more manageable. Being able to break stuff up into smaller bits makes it much less stressful.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 25, 2014

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So is Super Time Force Ultra worth it?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So is Super Time Force Ultra worth it?

Looking forward to playing it myself. I've heard nothing but praise for the original version (with fewer characters/levels). Only real gripe I've heard is that it's a bit more puzzley than it looks, rather than being a pure Contra-style run and gun shooter. Whether that's a good or bad thing depends on what kind of game you're looking for.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Dominic White posted:

Looking forward to playing it myself. I've heard nothing but praise for the original version (with fewer characters/levels). Only real gripe I've heard is that it's a bit more puzzley than it looks, rather than being a pure Contra-style run and gun shooter. Whether that's a good or bad thing depends on what kind of game you're looking for.
And if you want more of the latter, there's always Broforce.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Accordion Man posted:

And if you want more of the latter, there's always Broforce.

I'd say Broforce is a bit closer to a side-scrolling Hotline Miami. Which is also great.

For pure Contra fun, the recently released Super Cyborg may be what you want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg9J4udhjoU
Not on Steam yet, but you can get it here. $5.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Jordan7hm posted:

Tiny Barbarian DX is an awesome game, though it was crashing for me the last few times I played it. The developer keeps bringing out new content too - it's not entirely finished yet, there are more episodes / acts to be made.

It is. And here's a copy. EDIT: Gone.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 25, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
For $1.89 over at indie gala you can get Lucius (you're an evil little kid who kills your family ala Hitman), Night Shift (that indie car game thing), Shad'o ( some neat looking tower defense game) and a few other games

https://www.indiegala.com/monday#game1

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Humble Flash Bundle

$1

Full Bore
Tiny Barbarian DX

$6+

NEStalgia

woo I was very close to buying tiny barbarian in the summer sale. never heard of full bore but it looks cool.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Drifter posted:

For $1.89 over at indie gala you can get Lucius (you're an evil little kid who kills your family ala Hitman), Night Shift (that indie car game thing), Shad'o ( some neat looking tower defense game) and a few other games

For the record, Lucius is more of a puzzle game than a real Hitman sort of thing. The game is split up into episodes, basically, and every episode has a certain person or persons you need to kill, and there is one and only one way to do it. It's a decent enough game that way, but if you're expecting it to be anything like Hitman, you're gonna be disappointed massively. That being said, apparently the sequel is supposed to be more of an open world murder simulator, so that might make the comparison more appropriate.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Awesome! posted:

woo I was very close to buying tiny barbarian in the summer sale. never heard of full bore but it looks cool.

Full Bore is a platformer in which you play as a warthog in a world full of sentient warthogs. The focus is on puzzles and exploration. It reminds me of Treasure Adventure Game, good soundtrack in that one, especially if you like bass guitar.

Thing Fish
Dec 8, 2006
any downers?
Is the Freespace 2 that's on sale right now a good running version?

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Is NEStalgia the game with the baby dev that bans you on the forums if you're critical at all?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DannyTanner posted:

Is NEStalgia the game with the baby dev that bans you on the forums if you're critical at all?

You'll have to be more specific.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

quote:

Hi Tentacle Boss,

I (the lead developer) had a run-in with the Something Awful community a couple years back where they accused me of unjustly banning players. You can read the inciting topic here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3395243

They then essentially launched an all-out war to try and prevent NEStalgia from getting Greenlit, which included a lot of very creepy stalkerish behavior and threatening emails. Our Wikipedia page was defaced, our servers were DoSed, etc. etc.

If you're looking for reading material on the topic then you can probably look up a lot of the drama via Google. Whether you come to the conclusion that I was right or wrong (I'm personally unwavering in my belief that I was right), the bottom line is that there is no longer any such thing as a "Full NEStalgia Ban", as players can now host their own games and/or join Public Dedicated Servers even if they get banned from the Official Servers.

At any rate, I hope that you decide to at least give NEStalgia a try in Demo Mode, because it's a lot of fun. A great group of very dedicated people put a lot of time, sweat and tears into this project, and it is the players' loss if some meaningless forum drama from two years ago stops anyone from playing it.

I really don't want to get into a big discussion about the topic, but that should be plenty of info to go on. Thanks!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Terminally Bored posted:

Full Bore is a platformer in which you play as a warthog in a world full of sentient warthogs. The focus is on puzzles and exploration. It reminds me of Treasure Adventure Game, good soundtrack in that one, especially if you like bass guitar.

It's not really a platformer (there's not even a jump button) - it's more of a Boulder Dash/Sokoban style block-puzzle game, but with a Metroid'y style overworld tying together everything. Some very clever puzzles in there, involving a lot of block types, with alternate solutions to get bonus gubbins.

Thing Fish posted:

Is the Freespace 2 that's on sale right now a good running version?

Whether it is or not should be mostly rendered moot by the fact that the Source Code Project updated its all-in-one installer quite recently. Just point the installer at it for an instant upgrade from this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pIPipbQlTY

To this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXF2uHPiZoo

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
And stole old Nintendo assets wholesale, and made it a full-time job to delete posts on his Greenlight page... yeah, dude's a real piece of work.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
There are way too many bundles lately :negative:

e: Super Amazing Wagon Adventure

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 25, 2014

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Drifter posted:

Shad'o also doesn't work unless you've got some quicktime plugin/codec installed or something either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So I'm still trying to get Dark Souls to work with a PS4 controller. I've installed DS4Windows, the 360 drivers, and x360ce. Extracted x360ce into the DATA folder, booted it up and downloaded the PS4 profile, everything should be good but the buttons are still hosed up when I try and play. Any ideas?

• Locked thread