Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Radbot posted:

I'd prefer to not eat catfood when I'm old, which is pretty much what's going to happen to you if you don't take advantage of investing when you're young.

It's not about having fun. Run a retirement calculator and see what you'll need to maintain a pretty basic $60k/yr lifestyle (combined incomes) for 20+ years in America, especially if literally anything happens to SS benefits and considering the depressed equity yield we're likely to see during our lifetimes.

I feel like we're living in one of Aesop's fables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

I'd prefer to not eat catfood when I'm old, which is pretty much what's going to happen to you if you don't take advantage of investing when you're young.

It's not about having fun. Run a retirement calculator and see what you'll need to maintain a pretty basic $60k/yr lifestyle (combined incomes) for 20+ years in America, especially if literally anything happens to SS benefits and considering the depressed equity yield we're likely to see during our lifetimes.

Your post makes me think you're either very young, financially retarded, or European.

gently caress I feel old.

Alternatively, smoke, drink, and ride fast motorcycles and you too might just be lucky enough to die early!

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The splines don't go out unless you ride it 200k miles without greasing them. The final drive bearings go out, depending on the model, though.

I did a 3 week bike trip once, by the end of it I was getting fairly tired of packing and unpacking everything I owned every day. It felt more an adventure than a vacation, I needed to relax and do nothing for a bit once it was done.

I forgot about the final drives. My buddy had the final drives go when we were on a trip together, not fun.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Alternatively, smoke, drink, and ride fast motorcycles and you too might just be lucky enough to die early!

True enough, riding enough miles on a motorcycle makes it statistically unlikely you'll live to retirement age. Now you're just making me want to divest my 401(k) and IRA completely to get a truly ridiculous bike.

arts and craps
Nov 20, 2011

Radbot posted:

True enough, riding enough miles on a motorcycle makes it statistically unlikely you'll live to retirement age. Now you're just making me want to divest my 401(k) and IRA completely to get a truly ridiculous bike.

Divest your 401(k)?? Don't even freaknig joke about that dudeE!!!:wth::wth::wth:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

Fresh from the pics thread, your next bike!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Yeah, the whole 'drop everything, screw forward looking, point your fender at the horizon and riiiiide' only really works (assuming you're not trustafarian) if there's nobody else in your life that's dependent or will be dependent on you. I know that fits the goony mindset of 'no women, no kids' but it's not for everyone.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My wife and I are talking about doing it in a couple years. Maybe taking sabbatical for 3 months and going wherever. We've discussed finding places to hang out and be lazy for a week or so here and there, like San Antonio or Cape Cod.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Snowdens Secret posted:

Yeah, the whole 'drop everything, screw forward looking, point your fender at the horizon and riiiiide' only really works (assuming you're not trustafarian) if there's nobody else in your life that's dependent or will be dependent on you. I know that fits the goony mindset of 'no women, no kids' but it's not for everyone.

I'm an old and when I have to travel for any moderate length of time I end up missing my SO and my cat and home. That's why I have to get a bike I can 2-up tour on. :getin:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Snowdens Secret posted:

I know that fits the goony mindset of 'no women, no kids' but it's not for everyone.

I'm kinda diggin' the goony lifestyle though, because with nobody to spend money on I'm finding it pretty easy to save up for some ridiculous huge motorcycle that will make my dick feel 3" longer but at the same time drive away women!

This incredible feat is possible while simultaneously contributing a decent amount of money into a 401(k) (which will coincidentally be completely lost when the custodians of the mutual fund will blow it all in the next housing bubble).

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You guys are killing me.

Happymarriage.jpg:

2500 miles from home, day 5 of 15. The problem with taking a two-week trip like this with the wife is that you come home talking about the month-long and then 3-month long trips you need to take together. I guess that's not a huge problem.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

You guys are killing me.

Happymarriage.jpg:

2500 miles from home, day 5 of 15. The problem with taking a two-week trip like this with the wife is that you come home talking about the month-long and then 3-month long trips you need to take together. I guess that's not a huge problem.

A lucky dude.

I keep hinting at the fun that she could have on a bike but she isn't really biting. I figure pressuring her will only make it worse, and I generally hate peer pressure. Maybe more miles as a passenger will make her interested in her own bike. Until then, one less bike for me to have to maintain.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 25, 2014

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Yep, I feel bad for you dudes with SOs who don't/don't want to ride.

We just did a ~200 mile trip for my birthday. On the way back, we discussed our plans to maybe go to the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone. Possibly Vegas at some point.

Our only main issue is that we lack the great jobs that would allow us to take 2 weeks off of work. Someday we'll have some more dumb debts paid off and it won't be as big of a deal.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Edit: Dangit, post/edit.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Lynza posted:

Yep, I feel bad for you dudes with SOs who don't/don't want to ride.

We just did a ~200 mile trip for my birthday. On the way back, we discussed our plans to maybe go to the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone. Possibly Vegas at some point.

Our only main issue is that we lack the great jobs that would allow us to take 2 weeks off of work. Someday we'll have some more dumb debts paid off and it won't be as big of a deal.

My wife is terrified of the highway so she'll only two-up around town. I've been working on her to do one exactly one exit on the highway as a starting point. Still no biggie, an SO that doesn't ride, but doesn't mind you riding is worlds better than an SO that forces/manipulates you to stop riding.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

MoraleHazard posted:

My wife is terrified of the highway so she'll only two-up around town. I've been working on her to do one exactly one exit on the highway as a starting point. Still no biggie, an SO that doesn't ride, but doesn't mind you riding is worlds better than an SO that forces/manipulates you to stop riding.

"Wife says the bike has to go! Along with my personal agency!"

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

MoraleHazard posted:

I got my Uly from an idiot who traded his short wife's favorite VFR for it. The ad read pretty weird at fist until I talked to the seller: "Save my marriage, take the Ulysses! Trades considered."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

You guys are killing me.

Happymarriage.jpg:

Dude you need to stop posting about your lovely buell and start posting about your wife's sweet BMW :v:

My missus wants my bike because her bike is apparently too slow and poo poo for her now. And neither of us have or want kids. We'd both love to just wheelie off into the sunset forever but it turns out you actually need money to do that.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

clutchpuck posted:

wife's favorite VFR

That's a pretty awesome wife that has enough VFRs to have a favorite one.

I'm gonna make a loving *~*~*~*~*:smug:MY BUELL:smug:*~*~*~*~*~* smiley for you.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Snowdens Secret posted:

This is completely true.

Right now I'm planning on taking 3-6 months off and touring Europe by motorcycle and possibly going on a cross country trip through the U.S., in 2018. Saving about $200 a month for it right now. This trip obviously is contingent on me continuing my years long streak of being completely single.

Fortunately being single and making a good income allows me to save for retirement, and buy multiple bikes to fill the giant gaping void in my lonely soul!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

Your post makes me think you're either very young, financially retarded, or European.

Shimrods from Aus IIRC. And it's not exactly my fault as "a European" that social policy is lacking in the US. Then again, your much lower taxes because of this really should help in saving for stuff you want, I guess.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Elviscat posted:

Fortunately being single and making a good income allows me to save for retirement, and buy multiple bikes to fill the giant gaping void in my lonely soul!
At least you don't have to deal with the "I can't believe you're abandoning me to go ride your stupid bike on Sunday instead of going to my parent's house" argument.

The worst part of that is when you're parked head in to the driveway you can't even wheelie away a boss after that. It is a tragedy.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Radbot posted:

gently caress I feel old.

Australian, 25 and very good with money.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Shimrods from Aus IIRC. And it's not exactly my fault as "a European" that social policy is lacking in the US. Then again, your much lower taxes because of this really should help in saving for stuff you want, I guess.

They're not really all that much lower in the end :ssh:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

Dude you need to stop posting about your lovely buell and start posting about your wife's sweet BMW :v:

My missus wants my bike because her bike is apparently too slow and poo poo for her now. And neither of us have or want kids. We'd both love to just wheelie off into the sunset forever but it turns out you actually need money to do that.

It's pretty cool for a tractor-engine R1150. She bought it at 25k miles. Mostly stock: K mirrors, trimmed fender, flashing techno rave LED taillights, and a modulated headlight. Sounds like a sewing machine, NEEDS a valve adjust and TB sync every oil change, which sucks but it's easy so there's that.

The PO washed it more than he rode it:

Since then she got a y-pipe cat delete, power commander, ceramic coated the y-pipe, Leo Vince silencer, a Shorai battery, and a dyno tune. I got her the bullet fairing for her old bike but she didn't get around to installing it until she got this one. She also spilled brake fluid in her original saddlebags and broke a hinge so she Craigslisted up a pair of HUGE touring replacements for like $50.

It's too heavy for me; I think it's like 100 lbs heavier than the Uly and you can feel it. The play in the driveline is infurating, too. It is clunky and clattery whereas I feel like the Buell is directly connected to the pavement through the wheelie handle.

I think she likes it more than me... can't blame her.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If that had a naked headlight I would ride the poo poo out of it. I didn't realise BMW even made naked bikes that don't look hideous. Is there a way to take up driveline lash in a BMW? Like a car differential or whatever.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Negative on improving the clunky drivetrain. It's R character, apparently, and when you start pushing wind you never notice it. A shaft will never be as smooth an connected as a belt anyhow.

It has a naked headlight, but the gauge surrounds look like a tumor, so you really have to cover that nasty poo poo up.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Marxalot posted:

They're not really all that much lower in the end :ssh:

Yeah, once you factor in local sales and property taxes and - crucially - the things Americans have to pay for that other countries get from their taxes (healthcare and non-catfood pensions, mostly) the tax burden on an average-earning American is really not that far from the rest of the Western world.

(Not to get too LF but that's what happens when your military budget is 50% of your total budget, and let profit-taking happen in areas where it really shouldn't)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(Not to get too LF but that's what happens when your military budget is 50% of your total budget, and let profit-taking happen in areas where it really shouldn't)

You got too LF, our military is barely 20% even including vets benefits. Englishmen aren't really in any position to lecture us on domestic matters.

Hell I think Triumphs are cheaper here, to boot.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

You got too LF, our military is barely 20% even including vets benefits. Englishmen aren't really in any position to lecture us on domestic matters.

Christ those comments read like a BNP newsletter!
(never mind the article itself, which somehow equates "white" with "well off")

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

clutchpuck posted:

Negative on improving the clunky drivetrain. It's R character, apparently, and when you start pushing wind you never notice it. A shaft will never be as smooth an connected as a belt anyhow.

It has a naked headlight, but the gauge surrounds look like a tumor, so you really have to cover that nasty poo poo up.

drat son, this is all light years beyond your exploding Yamaha DeathStar. Good on ya.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's my wife's. She has terrible taste; doesn't ride a Buell, married me.

Actually it's pretty cool, she does all her own service on it too. Never been to the shop since its been hers.

The buell is way better though. :colbert:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

Triumphs (and indeed most big-ticket consumer items are cheaper in the US, thanks to VAT and different price points in different markets (I've complained about that before). Also never ever link The Spectator, it's just Fox news with a monocle (I could go into detail about why that particular measure is just plain bollocks for any kind of international comparison but I'll just go ahead and point at literally any indicator of actual wealth).

Also I'll admit the 50% figure is a little high (that's what it was in 2008 once you factor in all the off-the-books bullshit they pulled to try and pretend they could fight two foreign wars without raising taxes) but you still pay a loving stupid amount of money to your military, and you have to pay double for your healthcare what we do so nyer.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I like it when Euros/Aussies get all pissy when they're reminded how much less they work for the same/more pay. Not to say I wouldn't totally get in on that deal if I could, but still.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Radbot posted:

I like it when Euros/Aussies get all pissy when they're reminded how much less they work for the same/more pay. Not to say I wouldn't totally get in on that deal if I could, but still.

I've never gotten pissy about it, I'm glad I don't live in a corporate-owned dystopia like the US. The more I hear from you guys, the more I realise the land of the free has the least free people of any first world country.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Why would anyone get pissy about working less for the same money? I would be :fella: as hell.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
You know what loving sucks? Riding to work in pissing rain, feeling pretty smug that all your gear has stayed waterproof, then discovering that the front of your shirt has somehow managed to work a tiny bit clear of it and has so wicked about a gallon of water in behind your waterproofs, leaving a pattern that looks like you've had the most spectacular urinal incident in the history of pissing.

It must have happened slowly enough for the water to warm up to body temperature because I literally had no idea I was even damp until I opened my jacket (I know it wasn't the jacket itself because the outside of the liner was dry even though the inside was damp).

And now everyone knows the (other) reason I always keep a change of clothes at the office!

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

That really sucks. I had something similar in leaving vents open. How much rain could possibly get in there? Lots, actually.

All this D&D chat reminds me of one of my favorite jokes:

Heaven: Where cooks are French, mechanics are German, police are English, lovers are Italian and everything is organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where cooks are English, mechanics are French, police are Germans, lovers are Swiss and everything is organized by the Italians.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 26, 2014

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Slavvy posted:

I've never gotten pissy about it, I'm glad I don't live in a corporate-owned dystopia like the US. The more I hear from you guys, the more I realise the land of the free has the least free people of any first world country.

Ya, I'd never move to the US unless I was offered a ridiculous wage, even then it'd be a case of "Can I do it from here?"

We've got it good here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Shimrod posted:

Ya, I'd never move to the US unless I was offered a ridiculous wage, even then it'd be a case of "Can I do it from here?"

We've got it good here.

But working 60+hrs/wk has its perks!!!

(Now I just need to get a new phone so I can take pictures myself :v:)

e: Working 60-70hrs/wk all the time is soul crushing don't do it.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 27, 2014