Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Oh. I thought you meant Your Next (of kin). But I still think you're cool, HUNDU THE BEAST GOD, and I like your opinions in this thread.

Edit

Dead Silence was lovely overall, but visually it showed what was ahead for the horror movies that James Wan did after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I was actually thinking about this recently and I think the title works to enhance the part of the plot where the characters are just imitating horror movie villains rather than actually being horror movie villains. It's just the type of thing that wouldn't occur to them. There is something really not scary about correct grammar. There's something kind of funny about a senseless killer that killer that knows to put that comma there. It's a moment of menace slightly undercut by the reality that it's actual humans doing things for what turns out to be very banal reasons.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If they're supposed to be like backwoods hunters, YOUR NEXT makes more sense scrawled in blood.

UR NEXT

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

axleblaze posted:

I was actually thinking about this recently and I think the title works to enhance the part of the plot where the characters are just imitating horror movie villains rather than actually being horror movie villains. It's just the type of thing that wouldn't occur to them. There is something really not scary about correct grammar. There's something kind of funny about a senseless killer that killer that knows to put that comma there. It's a moment of menace slightly undercut by the reality that it's actual humans doing things for what turns out to be very banal reasons.

Apostrophe. :eng101:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axleblaze posted:

Very true, it is badly staged, after all.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

axleblaze posted:

I love that one of the brothers calls out fox mask by name (Tom) once they start getting terrorized. Like they are no longer nameless horror villains, just people who desperately wanted to be.

Edit: this works so well with the brothers/soldiers reveal, too. In the end its not like they are more humanized by those either.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
100 new posts in the netflix thread and it's an argument over a reasonably decent horror film that nobody should take seriously, awesome. Horror films are only very occasionally scary, but almost never, unless you're a child.

If you want to watch something really disturbing there's an excellent 30 for 30 about Hillsborough.

The Dusk til Dawn TV series seemed pretty bad but I only watched half of the first episode, does it improve or is it terrible?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The Dusk til Dawn TV series seemed pretty bad but I only watched half of the first episode, does it improve or is it terrible?

It's pretty much just an unnecessarily fleshed-out retelling of the movie which takes it self too seriously for what it is. The guy playing Seth Gecko does a good George Clooney impersonation but that's about the only thing going for it. And I wouldn't even call that a positive.

I'd say skip it. I stopped watching after episode 2 and I don't even remember much about it.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

It's pretty much just an unnecessarily fleshed-out retelling of the movie which takes it self too seriously for what it is. The guy playing Seth Gecko does a good George Clooney impersonation but that's about the only thing going for it. And I wouldn't even call that a positive.

I'd say skip it. I stopped watching after episode 2 and I don't even remember much about it.

Heh I thought so, thanks man, I didn't even like the film that much so I'll watch something else.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
To be a bit pedantic You're Next is not even a horror film, it's a thriller. I mean it's far more Cape Fear than Halloween.

I don't think anything would be missed at all if you watched the first 20 minutes and then skipped directly to the last 30 minutes. I think that's my only problem, it would have worked a lot better as a short film.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

precision posted:

To be a bit pedantic You're Next is not even a horror film, it's a thriller. I mean it's far more Cape Fear than Halloween.

I say this as someone who does like horror, I think this is what I like most about the movie and why it was so refreshing. Like others have said, it's basically like Die Hard but framed as a horror movie. I like action thrillers a bit more than horror, and if you take it as a thriller it works better than if you try to watch it as a slasher film.

But I could see where people who don't like horror at all wouldn't like You're Next, because the genre trappings of horror would be off-putting to them.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Some people wear their inability to be scared by a film as some sort of badge of honour. It's like they've passed a test of their manhood. What they're missing is that you have to allow yourself to be scared by a film. If you aren't invested, if you haven't suspended your disbelief, then nothing is going to get through.

Obviously a lot of responsibility lies with the film-makers, and if they don't do their job properly then it's going to be much harder for you to get involved. But you have work to do too, you have to make sure you are watching in the right environment and that you are in a suggestible state of mind.

I watched The Blair Witch Project in an old house on a dark, wintry night. The room was dark, screen was big and the surround sound was cranked up. I was fully immersed in the film and I completely shat myself. Not as much as when the credits rolled, I went to the toilet and came back into the room to find my flatmate silently standing in the corner facing the wall.

If I'd watched that on a summer morning with the phone ringing every 20 minutes and the kids running around, it may not have had the same effect. Or if I'd been laughing my way through it, criticising the shoddy acting or sketchy dialogue, my opinion of it would probably be different.

The sad thing is that when someone tells me they didn't get scared at all by a film that made me shake in fear, I feel sorry that they've missed out on a great experience. I equate a good scare to a hilarious comedy or deeply moving drama, it can be exhilarating.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

outy posted:

Some people wear their inability to be scared by a film as some sort of badge of honour. It's like they've passed a test of their manhood. What they're missing is that you have to allow yourself to be scared by a film. If you aren't invested, if you haven't suspended your disbelief, then nothing is going to get through.

Exactly. I always thought that was the fun of horror movies, allowing yourself to be scared.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I almost crapped my pants after seeing The Ring for the first time at a friends house. He dialed his home phone on the sly using his cell right after the movie finished and everyone jumped about 3 feet out of their chairs.

Probably was a fairly common prank but man it sure worked on us :haw:

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
Can anyone recommend a good comedy movie on Netflix or in general?

Stuff I've seen and liked:
- Shaun of the Dead (And the rest of the trilogy)
- The Big Lebowski
- Tucker and Dale vs. Evil
- Weekend at Bernie's
- The Naked Gun
- Airplane
- Snatch
- One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

All the "TOP COMEDIES!" lists and sites are full of movies that aren't even remotely comedies for some reason.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

StickFigs posted:

- The Big Lebowski
- Weekend at Bernie's
- The Naked Gun
- Airplane
- Snatch

All the "TOP COMEDIES!" lists and sites are full of movies that aren't even remotely comedies for some reason.

alpha papa

broadcast news

I'm assuming you've seen trading places? If not, that.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

^^Trading Places is a good pick, too.

StickFigs posted:

- The Big Lebowski
- Weekend at Bernie's
- The Naked Gun
- Airplane
- Snatch

Never thought I would see the day when Weekend at Bernies was on a list with One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but here we are.

I didn't see What About Bob or Ghostbusters on your list, that's where you need to go next if you haven't seen those two. Sleepwalk With Me is a good choice too, but it's mostly a rehash of Mike Birbiglia's one man show of the same name, you could skip it if you've seen his standup. Speaking of standup, I would recommend Hilarious by Louis CK. All four are on Netflix US.

Sarchasm fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 25, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

priznat posted:

Your Next (2014) - A killer is on the loose, brutally murdering internet pedants. (PG-13)

Sounds like this years feel-good summer blockbuster.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

StickFigs posted:

- The Big Lebowski
- Weekend at Bernie's
- The Naked Gun
- Airplane
- Snatch

Top Secret is very much in the same vein as Airplane and The Naked Gun.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

StickFigs posted:

- The Big Lebowski
- Weekend at Bernie's
- The Naked Gun
- Airplane
- Snatch

On my phone so I'm too lazy to check if it's still streaming, but if you liked Shaun you need to watch Cockneys vs Zombies.

Edit. You know in retrospect I think I liked You're Next a lot, just not that crazy about the middle act. Would recommend.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

StickFigs posted:

- The Big Lebowski
- Weekend at Bernie's
- The Naked Gun
- Airplane
- Snatch

Klown is great if you're in the moody for an incredibly raunchy hour and a half episode of Curb.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Top Secret is very much in the same vein as Airplane and The Naked Gun.
I was going to recommend this. It's basically non-stop sight gags with a loose framing story.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

priznat posted:

I almost crapped my pants after seeing The Ring for the first time at a friends house. He dialed his home phone on the sly using his cell right after the movie finished and everyone jumped about 3 feet out of their chairs.

I saw The Ring in theaters, and everybody was completely and totally immersed in the movie in the way you describe. The climax of the film had the entire theater - myself included - go absolutely nuts. Since then, I've attempted to replicate that experience in the theaters but every time I ago the whole movie tends to be ruined by some group of assholes that laugh at inappropriate parts the entire time.

I've watched The Ring a few times since then and the movie seems pretty loving lovely on a re-watch, to be honest. I have no idea what magical combination of awesome had to take place for it to become the scariest movie I've ever watched.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 26, 2014

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
Added all those comedies to my watch list, Thanks!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I should've listened when somebody said that Stage Fright was bad. I mean, I didn't think it was awful but it was one of the more forgettable movies I've seen in a long time.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I'm watching the first season of Hemlock Grove and I'm actually liking it quite a bit. It's just so weird. None of the characters act the way you expect them to based on the archetypes they're based on and the dialogue is hilarious. Plus, I am constantly wondering why these characters are so damned invested in what is going on in the town. It all strikes a strange tone of magical realism that is just perplexing. gently caress You're Next and its supposed genre subversion, this show seems to be really subverting all the teeny supernatural shows that have been prominent since Buffy (although I doubt it's intentional).

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Cithen posted:

gently caress You're Next and its supposed genre subversion, this show seems to be really subverting all the teeny supernatural shows that have been prominent since Buffy (although I doubt it's intentional).

To me, the big difference is I don't give a poo poo about any of the stuff Hemlock Grove is subverting.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Cithen posted:

I'm watching the first season of Hemlock Grove and I'm actually liking it quite a bit. It's just so weird. None of the characters act the way you expect them to based on the archetypes they're based on and the dialogue is hilarious. Plus, I am constantly wondering why these characters are so damned invested in what is going on in the town. It all strikes a strange tone of magical realism that is just perplexing. gently caress You're Next and its supposed genre subversion, this show seems to be really subverting all the teeny supernatural shows that have been prominent since Buffy (although I doubt it's intentional).

This is the only way I could imagine watching anything beyond episode 1: Not giving a single gently caress about anything in the show at all.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Just to add one thing to the You're Next discussion: For fun, watch the first 45 minutes or so a second time and pay close attention to everything that Crispin, Felix, and Zee say and do. I think you'll be surprised at how coherent their mannerisms are when you know all of the film's twists.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
The Cold Lands was a good, very slow paced yet comfortable to sit through, coming of age/road movie. Worth a watch for sure.

Saturn889
Jul 13, 2014
Recently started watching "House of Cards" on netflix. I usually don't go for political dramas but Joel Schumacher with Kevin Spacey did pique my interest. Have to say it is quite good.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I've been waiting for Coherence to turn up on netflix (or anywhere, really; it's still fighting for a non-festival release in the US) because it starts with pretty much the exact same set up as You're Next but is much more well written and acted and takes it in directions I find far more interesting.

From a page back, but did you happen to see "+1" from 2013? I liked Coherence, but they've got similar enough plots that I unfortunately found it kind of distracting. The arcs the protagonists take are pretty similar too.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Just to add one thing to the You're Next discussion: For fun, watch the first 45 minutes or so a second time and pay close attention to everything that Crispin, Felix, and Zee say and do. I think you'll be surprised at how coherent their mannerisms are when you know all of the film's twists.

It's particularly noticeable with Crispin. He'll consistently try to talk characters into or out of things to try and aid the killers and hurry along the plan. And Felix repeatedly holds back and observes even when Erin needs help with something, and he and Zee at times seem gobsmacked at how Erin consistently handles herself. Without knowing the twist at the end, you'd think they're just stunned by the violence, but if you know the twist you know that they're more annoyed that Erin's on the brink of unraveling their plan.

Also Felix gets into a pretty big hurry to get his parents upstairs and isolated from the group once Erin starts going into survival mode.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mister J posted:

From a page back, but did you happen to see "+1" from 2013? I liked Coherence, but they've got similar enough plots that I unfortunately found it kind of distracting. The arcs the protagonists take are pretty similar too.

I have not seen +1 but you're not the first person I've heard compare the two so I guess I should check it out.

The plot in Coherence was neat but it was less of a draw for me than the characters, who were just very well acted and conceived. I saw it with that dude from Buffy giving a Q&A after and he said that about 90% of the dialogue was ad-libbed.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The first villain from The Purge, whatever that kid's name is, is good in +1.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Khorne Flakes posted:

Finished the last season of The Killing last night and pretty let down by it. Season three is still the best by far and can be a stand alone on it's own.

The one thing I was confused by is why did Lincoln and AJ gently caress with Kyle so much? From what I understood, the two witnessed the first murder and may have wanted to expose it, but the colonel wanted it covered up. Makes sense, but their job was to make sure Kyle didn't remember what happened that night, so they draw up diagrams and try to pull up old memories of it, why? Lincoln hated Kyle because his mom slutted him up, but I never caught why AJ was so against destroying Kyle's life.

E>> Also no Holder one liners at all this season. 0/5
From weeks ago but I just finally finished watching it and no one else had answered this so I'm throwing my two cents in.

I think the ultimate goal of them torturing Kyle was to get him to kill himself for good this time, in case he did end up remembering. It was kind of a dumb way to go about it though, and stunk a little of the constant red herrings the show fell in love with.

Still I really liked this last season, I felt they wrapped everything up really well. It only being 6 episodes helped a lot, there were way fewer plot twists thrown out and reeled back in.

Boosh! posted:

RE: Last season of the Killing.

Just finished. What a depressing season but I enjoyed it. End spoilers: Whatever man, I'm real happy Linden and Holder finally got together.
Also yeah, that was nice not depressing way to close out the story. I also missed the Holder one liners, super depressed Holder was really bumming me out, when he's too distraught to even bust everyone's balls you know the show has gone to a dark place, and it was good to see them pull out of that a little.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

priznat posted:

That movie forever will be one of the scariest movies for me. I saw it when I was 16, and after my parents did the call thing, but also programmed my t.v. to come on to a channel with static.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Short Penguin posted:

That movie forever will be one of the scariest movies for me. I saw it when I was 16, and after my parents did the call thing, but also programmed my t.v. to come on to a channel with static.

Awesome :haw:

Currently on Netflix I am bombing through all 8 (!) seasons of Supernatural, an episode or two per night. Really enjoying the show, I had never taken it seriously because it is on CW and I am not a teen girl. But it's actually really good!

Just hit S4, I heard the quality dips a bit after S5 but gently caress it I am in for the long haul. #TeamDean

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

priznat posted:

Awesome :haw:

Currently on Netflix I am bombing through all 8 (!) seasons of Supernatural, an episode or two per night. Really enjoying the show, I had never taken it seriously because it is on CW and I am not a teen girl. But it's actually really good!

Just hit S4, I heard the quality dips a bit after S5 but gently caress it I am in for the long haul. #TeamDean

My GF and I were hooked on this earlier this year, watching 8 or so episodes per weekend, but we stopped in the middle of season 6 because it just wasn't as interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Big McHuge posted:

My GF and I were hooked on this earlier this year, watching 8 or so episodes per weekend, but we stopped in the middle of season 6 because it just wasn't as interesting.

I heard it gets good again in season 8 (last season on Netflix), hopefully the quality keeps up with the upcoming one.

The characters of the bros are probably enough to pull me through the lull, I love those goofballs.. Well, especially Dean.

Plus the show is filmed local to me so it's fun trying to spot locations. (Just like on X-Files!)

• Locked thread