Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I can't wait until they release a sequel to this game and refine the mechanics. It's really a solid loving game for what it is, a lot more fun than DayZ in some ways. I think it work well as a single player game, multiplayer versions of this just turn into Call of Duty, but that can be fun sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Can someone point me to a mod or what have you so that the machine shop in snyders works like a machine shop? I have tons of cars that I'd love to be able to use again without fear of breaking them on a single zombie.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Are you kidding? How would this turn into call of duty?

Just a two person co op would be good. You both have your own set of followers and stuff like that too. And followers actually use their weapons. Not only that but a more survive until you die aspect than an actual endgame of any kind.

This game is total sequel bait, I'd be surprised not to see State of Decay 2. As this game stands even with all the DLC, it feels more like a minigame than a full blown game. Not to say those aren't good, FTL is one of the greatest games of the decade.

The bad part about this series is that the games are designed with an endgame in mind. At least lifeline. And no Co op.

El Seven
Jan 15, 2012
We should be getting some news on what's coming for State of Decay this Friday:

quote:

Thursday, August 28: Media event at the Lab. We’re going to be unveiling the next thing for State of Decay (but the news is embargoed until Friday morning)...

Full article here.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Akumos posted:

I can't wait until they release a sequel to this game and refine the mechanics. It's really a solid loving game for what it is, a lot more fun than DayZ in some ways. I think it work well as a single player game, multiplayer versions of this just turn into Call of Duty, but that can be fun sometimes.

The original plan was to make an MMO next. Which would probably just devolve into another boring Day Z.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

gently caress MMO, I just want to be able to bring a couple live people along to watch my back/kite every zombie within screaming distance/'mistake' me for a zombie and run me over. Basically what you would expect from having multiple goons on your Steam friends list.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

bitcoin bastard posted:

gently caress MMO, I just want to be able to bring a couple live people along to watch my back/kite every zombie within screaming distance/'mistake' me for a zombie and run me over. Basically what you would expect from having multiple goons on your Steam friends list.

Well, Dying Light looks like it will be implementing this mechanic very well. State of Decay Class 4 is going to have some tough competition.

Mokinokaro posted:

The original plan was to make an MMO next. Which would probably just devolve into another boring Day Z.

This is true, and it would probably suck... I hope instead they make Class 4 simply much larger and more complex, with at least 2 player co-op. A really huge map with dozens of possible home bases would open the game up so much.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 25, 2014

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

Skandranon posted:

Well, Dying Light looks like it will be implementing this mechanic very well. State of Decay Class 4 is going to have some tough competition.

This is true, and it would probably suck... I hope instead they make Class 4 simply much larger and more complex, with at least 2 player co-op. A really huge map with dozens of possible home bases would open the game up so much.

I think a battle.net-esque type multiplayer setup would work really well. Smaller public/private servers for group play. They could even have holdout competitions and a championship bracket.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Skandranon posted:

Yeah Dying Light looks good because it brings navigation into play. A State of Decay sequel just needs to double down on systemic complexity/immersion and just frankly a much larger map (although it was already impressive to begin with, an open world game with nearly every building with an interior, even if most of them are pre-fab houses which make sense in a way).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I actually found State of Decay's map pretty impressive. I didn't even notice at first that the map was larger than the starting town until I opened it up to look for an objective and found it all the way down south in Marshall. And literally almost every building (mostly except the super tiny ones like trailers) can be searched and has loot. Compare that to your average Fallout 3/New Vegas town, where a neighborhood could have a dozen buildings standing and only four aren't boarded up.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I think they're finally realizing they can't pull this last gen bullshit on us anymore and finally give us an actual city... not a series of streets with a bunch of large useless uninhabitable rectangles on it.

It would be nice to have a full fledged destructible city though. The best hideouts are at the top of skyscrapers with all the stairwells deemed impassible by zombies. It's literally in the zombie survival handbook that the best escape outside a prison, boat or desert island is at the top of a building with all the stairwells smashed.

And everyone knows zombies can't climb ladders. And if they can it's either hilarious to watch or they aren't zombies.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 25, 2014

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

NeoSeeker posted:

I think they're finally realizing they can't pull this last gen bullshit on us anymore and finally give us an actual city... not a series of streets with a bunch of large useless uninhabitable rectangles on it.

It would be nice to have a full fledged destructible city though. The best hideouts are at the top of skyscrapers with all the stairwells deemed impassible by zombies. It's literally in the zombie survival handbook that the best escape outside a prison, boat or desert island is at the top of a building with all the stairwells smashed.

And everyone knows zombies can't climb ladders. And if they can it's either hilarious to watch or they aren't zombies.

I'm not too sure the best is in a building with all the stairs smashed... unless you have many years of food and water up there already. You do know that Max Brooks is mainly a comedy writer and much of the zombie survival guide was tongue-in-cheek? The best is not in a city at all but open country where one can move around.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Skandranon posted:

I'm not too sure the best is in a building with all the stairs smashed... unless you have many years of food and water up there already. You do know that Max Brooks is mainly a comedy writer and much of the zombie survival guide was tongue-in-cheek? The best is not in a city at all but open country where one can move around.

Yeah, using the ZSG as an actual survival guide in any capacity is pretty shaky at the best of times. Smashed all the staircases? Congratulations, now have fun getting back up to your base if you need to recover anything or anyone. Or expanding your hideout to include more space. Or getting back up if your clumsy rear end falls over the edge.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

A much better base would be an isolated structure with clear sightlines in every direction, an independent water source and anti-zombie/raider earthworks, barricades and traps. Screw hanging out in a city with millions of dead folks.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CitrusFrog posted:

A much better base would be an isolated structure with clear sightlines in every direction, an independent water source and anti-zombie/raider earthworks, barricades and traps. Screw hanging out in a city with millions of dead folks.

A moat would be great, especially one with spikes at the bottom; zombies will stupidly fall in and be relatively easy to dispose of while bandits trying to attack will need to bring a method of crossing or risk death.

Even better would be to put a very steep wall (too high to simply grab onto the top and climb up) immediately in front of the moat, so any attackers would need to first climb and then risk falling off into the spike pit or jumping and breaking their legs.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Skandranon posted:

Ladders. Seriously read the post... and the book.

And while max brooks might be a comedy writer and the genre about as diverse as pop music is today... Applied to pretty much all situations, walkers, runners, voodoo zombies, the book holds up. In the end zombies are dumb as gently caress, squishy decaying walking corpses.

Seriously read the book. Moats don't work. Forever at least. a 5-ten meter ditch will only hold so much water/zombies. A crowded stairwell conversely as a good thing holds only so much zombies in of itself. It's impossible for them to dogpile up because the entrance is blocked as soon at they gain any ground. Also how the hell are you going to go about cleaning the moat? I know cleaning the zombies from my area works by itself... with gravity. Which is also my worst enemy because the most I'd have to fear is zombies knocking over a 50 story tall earthquake proof building.

In my own zombie thought experiment the best way to survive would be by rooftop in a city and a series of ziplines. Also lots of axes and explosives used to modify the terrain.

tl;dr: give us a fuckin zombie game with everything unhinged so much so that we can play out our own little zombie fantasy to the mote. Finally.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 25, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

NeoSeeker posted:

Ladders. Seriously read the post... and the book.

And while max brooks might be a comedy writer and the genre about as diverse as pop music is today... Applied to pretty much all situations, walkers, runners, voodoo zombies, the book holds up. In the end zombies are dumb as gently caress, squishy decaying walking corpses.

Seriously read the book. Moats don't work. Forever at least. a 5-ten meter ditch will only hold so much water/zombies. A crowded stairwell conversely holds only so much zombies in of itself. It's impossible for them to dogpile up because the entrance is blocked as soon at they gain any ground.

That's assuming zero disposal is done of the zombies/corpses. Easiest quick and dirty method is to simply light the pit on fire every so often, burning it hot enough to cremate the remains.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

It isn't done assuming there's no disposing of the corpses. I literally ask you in the post how you dispose of them. That doesn't seem like it would work to well in the long run. It takes insane temperatures to do that. In other words have fun shoveling through bone every month.

Also heat rises.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 25, 2014

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Objective: Obtain lye from construction company storage for monthly corpse disposal.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Uh, live on the Goodyear blimp jeez guys.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This is straying dangerously close to nerds arguing about how they'd totally survive in a zombie apocalyspe because they have, like, three katanas and they practice in front of the mirror with them for 15 minutes every day.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

OwlFancier posted:

This is straying dangerously close to nerds arguing about how they'd totally survive in a zombie apocalyspe because they have, like, three katanas and they practice in front of the mirror with them for 15 minutes every day.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
That reminds me, I actually need to do more cardio. Lifting weights isn't the end-all-be-all.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

NeoSeeker posted:

In my own zombie thought experiment the best way to survive would be by rooftop in a city and a series of ziplines. Also lots of axes and explosives used to modify the terrain.

Ziplines, really?

I guess if we are just imagining video game crap, mine would be to use cheat mode so I could fly around and shoot rockets out of my rear end.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

A buddy of mine did a tabletop RPG of the zombie holocaust in our home town. I ended up rolling a 1 on my attempt to brake before getting to the army surplus store and killed half our party turning it into a drive through. I assume the real zombie apocalypse would go similarly.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Depends how many necromancers there were hanging around.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Pwnstar posted:

Depends how many necromancers there were hanging around.

You really only need one to screw things up royally.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

In the real zombie apocalypse, half the nerds would die on Day One as they rushed around in a panic and tried to prepare, whilst half would live for a surprisingly long time because they were actually ready for it, but end up dead when raiders roll through or they run out of potable water and get cholera or something.

I also suspect that the thing could be contained except as soon as the news says "Zombies", millions of neckbeards will grab their katanas, don their fedoras, and go out to hunt some zeds. They'll promptly get infected and exponentially increase the number of zombies.

Anyway given the game was explicitly called "Class 3" and the next one is "Class 4", I don't think it's unreasonable that they take their cues from ZSG regardless of what the 'real' best courses of action would be. It's the inspiration for the game, it's pretty fair that the game would follow the way ZGS lays everything out.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

Anyway given the game was explicitly called "Class 3" and the next one is "Class 4", I don't think it's unreasonable that they take their cues from ZSG regardless of what the 'real' best courses of action would be. It's the inspiration for the game, it's pretty fair that the game would follow the way ZGS lays everything out.

Well, not exactly. They've stated (in Lifeline) that it's definitely not a virus that causes it, where it very much is in ZSG. But yes, the Class3/Class4 are obvious references to the ZSG scale of zombie outbreaks, where Class4 is a worldwide pandemic.

My biggest complaint about the ZSG is where it glorifies the Katana as the perfect zombie killing weapon, when it would actually be very poor at it. It's not a lightsabre, it's a slashing weapon for fencing in a certain style. One that focuses on large cuts. It's not meant for thrusting (though can), and definitely not meant for cutting through bone or decapitations. It is a very high maintenance weapon due to it's high carbon steel (rust), and the blade will chip if you hit hard things with it often (like bone). The Nepalese kukri or machette are much more suitable, as they will wear far less, can be maintained much easier, are weighted for bashing heads and chopping bones, and something you can reasonably make on your own without folding steel or differential tempering.

Something which, I might add, is featured well in State of Decay, as it's the Machine Cutting Blade which is king, and the "Ceremonial Wakizashi" is mediocre at best.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 26, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think you'll find that noted martial arts expert and professional pretend undead hunter Wesley Snipes kills a great many vampires with a katana in the noted action docu-drama trilogy 'Blade'

I think this justifies the notion that a skilled swordsman would obviously be able to fight probably up to a hundred zombies at a time, and naturally he would not have to fight more than that because as he killed them their corpses would create a barrier, preventing him from being fully encircled.

Also any wielder of the katana would be relying on the samurai code of bushido which would make him highly resistant to suffering poor morale from any seemingly hopeless situation. His fighting spirit and adherence to the superior cultural beliefs of the samurai would help him fight harder than other people and also be extremely helpful when building a successful base of operations.

What I'm basically saying is that as long as there are a few people with katanas, the world is basically completely safe from zombies.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 26, 2014

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I think you'll find that noted martial arts expert and professional pretend undead hunter Wesley Snipes kills a great many vampires with a katana in the noted action docu-drama trilogy 'Blade'

I think this justifies the notion that a skilled swordsman would obviously be able to fight probably up to a hundred zombies at a time, and naturally he would not have to fight more than that because as he killed them their corpses would create a barrier, preventing him from being fully encircled.

Also any wielder of the katana would be relying on the samurai code of bushido which would make him highly resistant to suffering poor morale from any seemingly hopeless situation. His fighting spirit and adherence to the superior cultural beliefs of the samurai would help him fight harder than other people and also be extremely helpful when building a successful base of operations.

What I'm basically saying is that as long as there are a few people with katanas, the world is basically completely safe from zombies.

To be perfectly pedantic, what Blade uses more closely resembles a Ninjato (straight blade) than a Katana (curved blade). But I concede all your other, flawless points on the matter.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

I also suspect that the thing could be contained except as soon as the news says "Zombies", millions of neckbeards will grab their katanas, don their fedoras, and go out to hunt some zeds. They'll promptly get infected and exponentially increase the number of zombies.

You're so right. Those idiots don't know a thing, you'd totally come out on top. You obviously have seen this happen before.
Also my ziplines are a sound idea. They use them all the time in The Dark Knight and that movie is totally realistic.

But if it came down to it the key to surviving a zombie apocalypse is essentially learning how to backpack for your life. Nuff said. Continue to spray testosterone everywhere though. Wouldn't want to prevent you from telling people their personal fantasies are wrong :spergin:

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 27, 2014

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

NeoSeeker posted:

But if it came down to it the key to surviving a zombie apocalypse is essentially learning how to backpack for your life.

Apology accepted.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

In an eventual sequel, I think it'd be rad to see the following:

1. Live through the initial phase of the outbreak. Have the beginning start with a fairly normal town on level 1, have it get more and more chaotic until you get to the collapse of civilization.
2. Have other enclaves be more dynamic. Have your relationship vary more based on influence and missions completed successfully, and maybe even have hostile enclaves that may attempt to rob you or abduct your community members, leaving you a choice of bargaining for them or forcibly busting them out.
3. Have your AI community members drive and shoot on their own.
4. Have at least co-op multiplayer, with each player controlling a friendly faction. There could be PVP, but it should be really balanced to make going to war with another player have potentially disastrous consequences. Always keep the zombies the primary threat to dissuade the online community from treating the game as COD with the minor inconvenience of zombies.
5. More customizability with weapons and how they're employed. It'd be cool if you could really tell what makes Weapon A better than Weapon B for Situation X, etc.

State of Decay is a great game with an awesome mechanic in the Breakdown model. It's a mile wide, but only an inch deep in a lot of areas. A bit more depth on all levels would be truly excellent.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'd at least like to see human-on-human fighting. I'm always annoyed that I can't just pop all the Wilkersons from the opposite side of their farm with a Barrett, or sneakily shoot them in the back of the head when the others aren't looking with a silenced .22 pistol.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Skandranon posted:

Apology accepted.

Fair enough. Imagining whimsical scenarios is still awesome and my zipline is still a good idea.

Anyone who's been backpacking before probably at one point likened it to zombie survival, at least in retrospect.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

NeoSeeker posted:

You're so right. Those idiots don't know a thing, you'd totally come out on top. You obviously have seen this happen before.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I'd do better than fat neckbeards who use Reddit, just like I do in every other facet of life :v:

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Are there even any slashing weapons that have more than 2 bars of durability? I'd love to specialize at least one guy in bladed, if only to see what sweet moves there are, but I don't wanna gimp anyone by making them unable to run more than a couple of missions at once.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

woodenchicken posted:

Are there even any slashing weapons that have more than 2 bars of durability? I'd love to specialize at least one guy in bladed, if only to see what sweet moves there are, but I don't wanna gimp anyone by making them unable to run more than a couple of missions at once.

Search industrial warehouses for machine cutting blades. Hedge shears, pirate cutlasses, and falchions are pretty good as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

NeoSeeker posted:

Fair enough. Imagining whimsical scenarios is still awesome and my zipline is still a good idea.

Anyone who's been backpacking before probably at one point likened it to zombie survival, at least in retrospect.

The ziplines idea is neat... it just seems incredibly dangerous. Using those once a day is making it likely that eventually, you have a catastrophic accident. We never hear about the 1% of times Batman misses his grappling hook and breaks both his legs and shoulder...

• Locked thread