Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fauxbama
Jan 7, 2007

HAIL THE DARK EMPEROR! HAIL! HAIL!
Please never fix things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfyvekRDi5o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Edminster posted:

This is super-nice as an idea.

Thanks! Sadly, I totally lack the skills to implement it.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

In my ideal world I'm using I've got an interplanetary grand tour cruise ship going. It's got a variety of giant 3m parts in the stack with a couple of atomic rockets pulling it along. In the Hangar it's got a lander for doing science experiments, another for mining karbonite, and a scoop-equipped suborbiter for jool refuelling. And then it's got another Hangar-like container full of KAS parts that I can use to fix stuff or perform upgrades mid-mission.

I'll point out here that Hangar also has CC licensing and doesn't let you break the laws of physics. Keeping part counts low is a big thing.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

Lord Yod posted:

In my ideal world I'm using I've got an interplanetary grand tour cruise ship going. It's got a variety of giant 3m parts in the stack with a couple of atomic rockets pulling it along. In the Hangar it's got a lander for doing science experiments, another for mining karbonite, and a scoop-equipped suborbiter for jool refuelling. And then it's got another Hangar-like container full of KAS parts that I can use to fix stuff or perform upgrades mid-mission.

I'll point out here that Hangar also has CC licensing and doesn't let you break the laws of physics. Keeping part counts low is a big thing.

Fair enough ;) Let me get the basics working first then.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I'm planning to use Hangar in conjunction with Jump Drive and docking to make a jump ship that can piggy back things from place to place. So much station building!

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

haveblue posted:

Do it by mass and pretend it's a replicator :3:

A 3D printer would make perfect sense as near-future space-tech, in line with the style of stock KSP, and a way to abstract away container fiddliness.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

eth0.n posted:

A 3D printer would make perfect sense as near-future space-tech, in line with the style of stock KSP, and a way to abstract away container fiddliness.

I actually kinda like this idea... a module that had a generic resource used as a material for 3D printing and once activated just pooped the part out, at which point you could just grab it.

Yes.... I like this idea a lot.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

eth0.n posted:

If it was stock it'd 4k ElectricCharge and 30 minutes to print a Mainsail. Needs focus, can't be time accelerated.

RoverDude posted:

I actually kinda like this idea... a module that had a generic resource used as a material for 3D printing and once activated just pooped the part out, at which point you could just grab it.

Yes.... I like this idea a lot.

Please allow us to convert asteroids into this generic resource. :allears:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It makes somewhat less sense when you use it to produce things with exotic material components like solar panels, but it would be great from a gameplay perspective.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

haveblue posted:

It makes somewhat less sense when you use it to produce things with exotic material components like solar panels, but it would be great from a gameplay perspective.

True, so perhaps a combination of resources... some basic/easy stuff then the more complex the model the more exotic stuff you need. So making girders, etc... easy. engines are a bit harder. Solar panels are kinda at the extreme. So a combination 3D printer, CNC, and small workbench.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

RoverDude posted:

True, so perhaps a combination of resources... some basic/easy stuff then the more complex the model the more exotic stuff you need. So making girders, etc... easy. engines are a bit harder. Solar panels are kinda at the extreme. So a combination 3D printer, CNC, and small workbench.

That could be a way to tech-gate things, have two or three levels of materials, and two or three levels of in-situ production facitilities. Two types of material (regular and rare) probably makes most sense, and then three levels of production facility. The higher level production facilities would probably be larger and heavier, in addition to being later in the tech tree.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

RoverDude posted:

I'd just limit it to things that are grabbable. The idea is to represent having a set of small parts, rather than to be a full on production system. EPL already does that just fine.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

nielsm posted:

That could be a way to tech-gate things, have two or three levels of materials, and two or three levels of in-situ production facitilities. Two types of material (regular and rare) probably makes most sense, and then three levels of production facility. The higher level production facilities would probably be larger and heavier, in addition to being later in the tech tree.

Yep... and I can finally use all of the tier 1/2/3 resources in MKS and add them to CRP, along with a tier 4 of the really fiddly bits. So the config to load these in would just be a matter of defining the recipe to make them, and when you right click on the printer thingie you see what recipes you can make. Yeah... I think I know what I'm building next..

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

Platonicsolid posted:

I'd just limit it to things that are grabbable. The idea is to represent having a set of small parts, rather than to be a full on production system. EPL already does that just fine.

By engine I meant the little ones :) And concur, really should be for the smaller parts at, say, half a ton or less (for a 2.5m unit)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The solar panel comment was a joke; using multiple resources is falling into the same trap that made Squad abandon their own resource plan. Just pretend that anything and everything can be made out of whatever the mass resource is going to be called, like pixels in Starbound.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

RoverDude posted:

By engine I meant the little ones :) And concur, really should be for the smaller parts at, say, half a ton or less (for a 2.5m unit)

:toot:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Phssthpok posted:

Oh, now I see that it's an RTG. Imagine that one says "part clipping" too. It's still clipping graphically even if you don't have to explicitly enable clipping to do it. =p

Seriously though, small NERVA tugs are great. I once used one to cancel all horizontal velocity on a lander in super-low Mun orbit, then re-accelerate the tug back to orbital velocity after decoupling, for less fuel cost than landing on the lander engines only.

The fingers quote, now I get the name, Pak Protector - a most excellent book. And if the editor does it like that, it ain't clipping it's just untidy. ;)

RoverDude posted:

So one thing I actually don't like about KAS is the containers... I mean, the whole bit about shuffling and sorting your stuff along with space/mass/bulk considerations is part of the challenge. I'd rather have cargo bays that open up with lots of surface attachment space or service modules to stick stuff to.

KAS 0.4.2 was released under GPL, I posted the page range in the old KAS thread where the discussion takes place. But yeah, doing it fresh is probably safer but it makes me weep inside for all the effort KospY put into KAS. Majiir really hosed him over.
The major problem with the KAS containers I found was the contents don't seem to be masked, meaning they count to the scene part count. I built a base module with 24 containers, filled them with spare parts and my PC had a fit when went to launch it.

RoverDude posted:

Something I've fancied seeing the EL people do is refurbishment. I launch a vehicle, say grab a asteroid and once it's back I'd like to be able to put it in a 'dock' and have the dock consume something then spit out the ship again with all the missing parts (asparagus tanks, decouplers, probes or whatever) according to the original craft file. I think the EL or shipyard team were doing the 3D printer idea too though I've not looked in on them for a while.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

nielsm posted:

Anything with actual resource management should be a separate mod from KAS. KAS should be a tool to help with your resource management, not another resource to have to manage.

Now, if a KAS 3d printer came with a generic resource that you can print limited objects from, great, but if anything it should just recycle parts for fuel. For flavor say it's Jeb's junk bin and putting more junk in increases the quantum probability of finding a part you need. That would be all of the best things about parts bins.

:jeb: Ascent stage just blew up? Hand me that pipe, I think I can get us home.

Ratzap posted:

The fingers quote, now I get the name, Pak Protector - a most excellent book. And if the editor does it like that, it ain't clipping it's just untidy. ;)

Confirm everyone in the thread should catch up on their Niven reading.

Footfall has a Project Orion nuclear ship in it.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Space whale holy grail

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

revdrkevind posted:

Anything with actual resource management should be a separate mod from KAS. KAS should be a tool to help with your resource management, not another resource to have to manage.

It feels like it would be pretty easy to break it into three parts:

1) Grab parts and stick them on stuff. Create certain parts via connections (pipes and struts).

2) Store grab-able things in containers (preferably hangar-style so they don't add to part count) for later use. Great for space tugs and stations.

3) Use 3d printers to make stuff which can then be attached. Break it into three or so tiers on the tree so the basic one can do struts and pipes, the medium one can do solar panels and batteries, the top tier one can do engines.

If you take a look at RoverDude's other mods the 'complex but still simple' resource model is pretty well baked into them already. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to build this into a module that could be added on to MKS/OKS pretty easily. With EPL, MKS, and KAOS (please please use that name) all together you can use various in-situ workshop modules to build lots of different things at your various bases.

The potential exists to completely leave Kerbin behind and that is the raddest thing.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Lord Yod posted:

KAOS (please please use that name)

Well he refused my incredibly reasonable suggestion of Asteroidal Resource Storage Expansion so clearly he hates fun <:mad:>

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

RoverDude posted:

lots of things
Well hello there. :getin: Glad to have you with us, you're one of the best modders this game has ever had.

Platonicsolid posted:

I always found KAS' storage to be a neat idea that was far too fiddly. You have to count how many of each part, and if it turns out you need an extra pipe or something, you have to run out a whole resupply mission. I'd like to see a system where it's abstracted. Have a 'small parts' or 'fiddly bits' resource, you can draw from that to get whatever you need. To resupply, just UPS over a new box of fiddly bits.
Adding my support to this. Adding a Fiddly Bits resource is a pretty Kerbal thing, too. "Bill, grab the uh... the whatchacallit. The thingy. Yeah, that."

Geemer posted:

Please allow us to convert asteroids into this generic resource. :allears:
This would also be a really neat idea, especially if there were a way to allow it to decrease the mass of the asteroid by the mass of the amount of resource you extracted, along with a bit extra (maybe 10%?) as an abstraction of general inefficient processes.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Lord Yod posted:

1) Grab parts and stick them on stuff. Create certain parts via connections (pipes and struts).

The second half of this is really key to a lot of the base building/resourcing I've done before. It lets you have a collection of landers loosely connected, filling that space between one lander and a full on permanent base. I'm not going to bother docking and mating things that are meant to be temporary.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Flagrant Abuse posted:

This would also be a really neat idea, especially if there were a way to allow it to decrease the mass of the asteroid by the mass of the amount of resource you extracted, along with a bit extra (maybe 10%?) as an abstraction of general inefficient processes.

Guess who made a mod that already does this

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

I can't get this satellite contract to complete. Nodes are at 0°, Pe/Ap are within a kilometer each, it orbits in the correct direction, and all contract requirements are checked except for the one that says "Reach the designated equatorial orbit..." Other satellite contracts have completed without issue and restarting KSP had no effect. Fine Print v0.57b, 32bit KSP.

What am I missing?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Oh my god how did I never notice this. Oh right, because I only check the release forum. I really need to remember to check the WIP one too.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Well drat. That's what I get for not checking.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Whoa, scaled-up IXS is fuckin neat

http://imgur.com/a/Au99m

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Oh my god how did I never notice this. Oh right, because I only check the release forum. I really need to remember to check the WIP one too.

It was released yesterday so doubly damned for not checking the release forum either :) I have noticed a bug though, if you use analyze on the gillie probe claw it reduces the mass of the asteroid by a few tonnes until you swap away and back. You can get negative masses this way (and KSP does not like it).

For name I'd nominate: FreeKAS (pronouced "freak rear end")

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Ratzap posted:

It was released yesterday so doubly damned for not checking the release forum either :) I have noticed a bug though, if you use analyze on the gillie probe claw it reduces the mass of the asteroid by a few tonnes until you swap away and back. You can get negative masses this way (and KSP does not like it).

For name I'd nominate: FreeKAS (pronouced "freak rear end")
Hah, yeah, it's been 4-5 days since I've checked anything. I only check a couple times a week normally unless it's right after KSP gets a new release.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Maxmaps just hire RoverDude already.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
I just wanna preserve homeboy in amber so he forever stays this likable.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can bring him out to create new content and fix existing content and then put him back in stasis.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Nah, just stick a needle in the amber, draw out some juicy DNA, mix it with a bit of Frog DNA, clone and presto!

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

RoverDude posted:

Yep... and I can finally use all of the tier 1/2/3 resources in MKS and add them to CRP, along with a tier 4 of the really fiddly bits. So the config to load these in would just be a matter of defining the recipe to make them, and when you right click on the printer thingie you see what recipes you can make. Yeah... I think I know what I'm building next..

Personally, I'd rather not see a hard dependency on MKS, or have that many resources.

I'd suggest having two modes: a one-resource mode that just uses Karbonite, and a multi-resource mode that activates if MKS is installed. Have a config file override to let someone running MKS revert to one-resource mode if they want. Then have your multi-resource config, but then just set a Karbonite-equivalence amount for each resource to compute the one-resource mode cost for parts.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I still like the ability to keep some parts in a box, and not have to worry about huge 3D printer parts and the power supplies etc etc for them - parts in a box are great for the early/midgame and have saved a lot of my missions.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder
Ok so here is the plan.

I'm starting with just getting grabbing stuff to work. After that, I'm going down the route of printable parts based on a single generic resource. Oh... and this will probably not be nearly as brisk as my other endeavours since I am basically starting from scratch to prevent anyone getting all silly about accusing me of 'stealing' anything. I will probably do stupid things when I try this, so if any folks more clever than me want to help me test and idiot proof it, that would rock

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Lansdowne posted:

I can't get this satellite contract to complete. Nodes are at 0°, Pe/Ap are within a kilometer each, it orbits in the correct direction, and all contract requirements are checked except for the one that says "Reach the designated equatorial orbit..." Other satellite contracts have completed without issue and restarting KSP had no effect. Fine Print v0.57b, 32bit KSP.

What am I missing?

This is a known issue. I finally discovered the cause yesterday. 0.57b added argument of periapsis checks in addition to LAN checks on your rotation. LAN checks under 1 inclination are skipped. Argument of periapsis checks under 0.05 eccentricity are skipped. Unfortunately I glazed over rule 3 of orbits with zero inclination: they have undefined argument of periapsis, because argument of periapsis is based on LAN.

For now, force it complete.

I'd like to say the fix is simply skipping the argument of periapsis check when I skip the LAN check, but it isn't that easy. If I did that, you could still match orbits in wildly different directions. I'm going to investigate this tonight.

If you didn't understand a word I just said, I know what the problem is, and I'm working on it.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

shovelbum posted:

I still like the ability to keep some parts in a box, and not have to worry about huge 3D printer parts and the power supplies etc etc for them - parts in a box are great for the early/midgame and have saved a lot of my missions.

My original intent with the 3D printing suggestion was that the parts would be about as light and compact as KAS's boxes, and have only a minimal power requirement.

The point is to have abstract "containers" that pull from a generic resource, instead of fiddly individual part counts, and 3D printing is a way to theme that in a roughly "realistic" way.

I would put the gameplay first, not try to actually represent 3D printing realistically.

Arsonide posted:

I'd like to say the fix is simply skipping the argument of periapsis check when I skip the LAN check, but it isn't that easy. If I did that, you could still match orbits in wildly different directions. I'm going to investigate this tonight.

I think the answer is, during the comparison, to convert the LAN and AoP of the target and current orbits to their respective Longitudes of Periapsis, which is just the sum of LAN and AoP (modulo 360). That way, no matter what arbitrary LAN and AoP KSP comes up with for that 0 inclination orbit, you can match it sensibly with the target orbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

RoverDude posted:

Ok so here is the plan.

I'm starting with just getting grabbing stuff to work. After that, I'm going down the route of printable parts based on a single generic resource. Oh... and this will probably not be nearly as brisk as my other endeavours since I am basically starting from scratch to prevent anyone getting all silly about accusing me of 'stealing' anything. I will probably do stupid things when I try this, so if any folks more clever than me want to help me test and idiot proof it, that would rock

I'm not particularly clever but I do want to say that you're doing amazing work, I'm glad you're around to counter-balance lovely modding attitudes.

• Locked thread