Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't think I even want to try for CSS. All my spells combined did half Freja++'s health. gently caress that noise, she's lovely enough to hurt with melee weapons on NG. Guess I'm replacing Resonant Soul with Dark Orb and my two soul spears with GRS.

great resonant soul takes two slots too

Dark orb is basically just straight up better than resonant soul for half the slots though so I guess it evens out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Seems like Soul Greatsword was slowed down a bit by the Clear ring's nerf too. Dark Greatsword seems to not be affected. They're more or less the same speed now, Dark might get the sword out a little faster.

quote:

great resonant soul takes two slots too

Yeah, but it's faster than Soul Spear and more damaging than Soul Spear, and Freja's one of the least fun and shittiest fights in the game for me. If I really wanted I could just pack ten GLS, but those do poo poo damage to most things now so why bother.

Doesn't Resonant Soul still do more damage than Dark Orb?

e: Testing, it does 80 more damage on these spiders for a second slot, and homes more. Eh.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 26, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I've seen conflicting reports, but I do believe riposte/backstab damage has been changed since my +10 mundane mail breaker is only riposting for 600 damage now.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

cat doter posted:

Why can't everyone be on southern hemisphere time IT'S THE 26TH NOW DAMNIT

You know that time zones go by longitude, not latitude, right?

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Also, Dark Orb has decent poise damage- my favorite trick for dealing with the shield guys in the castle is to hit them with a few orbs until they stagger, then run up and stab them, which counts as a riposte. :getin:

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

does the....majestic greatsword get any additional scaling like it did before? Did the moves get property changes?

I just wanna make sure my question doesn't get ignored.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Also, Dark Orb has decent poise damage- my favorite trick for dealing with the shield guys in the castle is to hit them with a few orbs until they stagger, then run up and stab them, which counts as a riposte. :getin:

Well, the extra slot now has Soul Greatsword again, so at least there's that. I'm consider just respeccing to be less a mage though; it's not really all that worth it anymore.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Well, the extra slot now has Soul Greatsword again, so at least there's that. I'm consider just respeccing to be less a mage though; it's not really all that worth it anymore.

That really sucks, melee is fun and all but I really liked being a finger waggling ninny with lazers. Time for my mage to join his clericy brother in the bin then, think its time for a twinblade playthrough.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
It sure feels like I've been softbanned. I cheated myself in a bunch of items that were poo poo to farm for, as well as souls to buy extraneous things for fashion souls or jokey things so I can have fun without wrecking my SM. I'm in NG+ at 3.2M SM, and the Iron Keep Bridge is completely barren of signs. I haven't seen a player sign of any kind in ages and ages (yes I'm human), nor have I been red sign summoned in at least an hour of waiting. Plenty of bloodstains showing PVP taking place though, and messages are working perfectly. I'm getting chimes from my messages being rated.

Weirdest thing though, while most invasion attempts immediately get "Unable to find world to invade" sometimes cracked red eye orb invasions go through and latency in them is low. It's possible I'm just in some kind of deadzone SM tier, too low to be in the main NG+ group - or it's possible I'm stuck in the "OMG HACKER" bracket and the only people I can tango with are other poor schlubs caught out by From's indecipherable spastic cheat detection.

When the DLC launchers tomorrow and I still can't see any summon signs, I'll just assume the worst.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

I mean, spells are still good, but you can't just ONLY use spells now.

Still, considering keeping my build the same but attuning nothing but 2 climaxes and killing tough enemies with dollar bills.

Actually, can you get a second climax? Or is it like sunlight spear.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Unless they did something to Dark Orbs, I'm sure you can still solo the game slinging only spells. The problem is it's only Dark Orbs, but considering all the nerfing around sorcery and miracles and higher Hexes, it's literally the best and most efficient option.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Inspector_666 posted:

You know that time zones go by longitude, not latitude, right?

I don't know how anything goes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

I mean, spells are still good, but you can't just ONLY use spells now.

Still, considering keeping my build the same but attuning nothing but 2 climaxes and killing tough enemies with dollar bills.

Actually, can you get a second climax? Or is it like sunlight spear.

Oh no, I mean still use the magic, but keep my int, attenuation and faith way lower. I still like being a battlemage, it's just the only spells I really use anymore are dark orb/resonant soul, soul spear, the greatswords, dark weapon, chaos storm (but that doesn't really count) and great heal, and more often than not just smacking something with my claymore is more useful. Though on the other hand I really like dark greatsword and have not a whole lot of resources left for enhancing weapons. Basically I use three to four slots on projectiles, one on a healing spell, one on a buff for the dark claymore/roaring halberd, then four for whatever else, mostly aoe like the greatswords and *storms. I really don't even use chaos storm that much anymore either though, I kind of just have it because I like having all four magic types at once. Though, the only miracle I use is great heal, because why bother with the spears?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 26, 2014

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Yaya posted:

I've taken this opportunity to farm Sunlight Medals off of the Old Iron King.

People are really bad at fighting this boss, huh?

My experience is that when I'm the only phantom we beat it without anyone taking damage and when there's two phantoms things go utterly to poo poo. He's one of those bosses who's easier to fight with fewer people because he's easier to predict and read.

I didn't even realize he had a Smelter-style PBAE explosion until fighting him with multiple people today.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm thinking of respeccing to lower my ATT/Int/Fth to 32/32/28 and put my Str/Dex at 40/25. It lets me put my Vigor, Vitality, and Endurance to 20/14/20 each, I can still use every spell I currently use except dark greatsword, and I can maintain 100 agility. I mean I'm level 175 so I guess it doesn't matter at this point, but I might as well go heavier into strength and dexterity for the dlc for the Majestic greatsword at least. And if not, I make my primary weapons (claymore, halberd) stronger anyway. I'm also not sure what weapons to switch to to mix it up past the claymore and roaring halberd though. Any thoughts?

By the way is the sanctum shield or the black witch staff a stronger catalyst? I'm guessing BWS but can't find any information on the shield at +10.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 26, 2014

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm thinking of respeccing to lower my ATT/Int/Fth to 32/32/28 and put my Str/Dex at 40/25. It lets me put my Vigor, Vitality, and Endurance to 20/14/20 each, I can still use every spell I currently use except dark greatsword, and I can maintain 100 agility. I mean I'm level 175 so I guess it doesn't matter at this point, but I might as well go heavier into strength and dexterity for the dlc for the Majestic greatsword at least. And if not, I make my primary weapons (claymore, halberd) stronger anyway. I'm also not sure what weapons to switch to to mix it up past the claymore and roaring halberd though. Any thoughts?

By the way is the sanctum shield or the black witch staff a stronger catalyst? I'm guessing BWS but can't find any information on the shield at +10.

Black Witch is the stronger catalyst in all areas by a pretty significant amount. Sanctum Shield is still worth considering, not just for the ability to block more easily but for the ability to two-hand it bash their fookin 'eads in (surprisingly effective, but be wary of guard breaking).

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So I stopped playing this before the DLC came out, then started back up again. I'd been using the Claymore for most of the game, but just decided to switch to my Dark Estoc for fun and holy poo poo. Its a pretty drat nice weapon. It seems to hit almost as hard as the Claymore for way less stamina and much faster, plus stunlocking NPCs with it is ridiculous. Am I missing something or have I just been missing out on a great weapon this whole time?

Also, I've basically got 30/30 Int/Fth, 32/16 Str/Dex. I use my spells for support/ranged options while preferring to fight close-in more frequently. Am I missing out on any other fun weapons I should know about?

Last thing: The Majula chest. I opened it once during the previous promotion and grabbed my free whatever-it-was. I see that the last item to go in there was a sword, but the chest is still open. Did it only close for people who bought the DLC, or did I just miss it?

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

Chiming in with yeah, if they added casts to CSS it must've just been them giving it a bonus cast earlier than 43 attunement. So for those playing along at home, it's now basically equivalent to sunlight spear.

The cast time with the bluestone ring on only seems slightly slower to me though. However, for some reason the vanilla soul spear is noticeably SLOWER to cast than the crystal version.

Going by this table, I'm guessing CSS got moved from the 2A line to the 2B. Kind of disingenuous on their part, I suppose it technically does have more casts, but that's in no way worth the trade of taking an extra slot, even discounting the much slower casts that come with it.

On the bright side, Soul Shower with stone ring is a stunlock machine, so there's that. Still going to have a hard time finding a sorcery that can remotely fill CSS's role, and Great Heavy Soul Arrow doesn't count.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Batigh posted:

Black Witch is the stronger catalyst in all areas by a pretty significant amount. Sanctum Shield is still worth considering, not just for the ability to block more easily but for the ability to two-hand it bash their fookin 'eads in (surprisingly effective, but be wary of guard breaking).

Cool, I'll give it a try later. Mostly, I've done a lot of runs now and put in twice as much time into 2 as 1 (multiplayer working, laggy as it is, is so nice) and want to try new things for PVE, but can't think of anything clever that still lets me tool around with the spells I want.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 26, 2014

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

So I stopped playing this before the DLC came out, then started back up again. I'd been using the Claymore for most of the game, but just decided to switch to my Dark Estoc for fun and holy poo poo. Its a pretty drat nice weapon. It seems to hit almost as hard as the Claymore for way less stamina and much faster, plus stunlocking NPCs with it is ridiculous. Am I missing something or have I just been missing out on a great weapon this whole time?

Also, I've basically got 30/30 Int/Fth, 32/16 Str/Dex. I use my spells for support/ranged options while preferring to fight close-in more frequently. Am I missing out on any other fun weapons I should know about?

Last thing: The Majula chest. I opened it once during the previous promotion and grabbed my free whatever-it-was. I see that the last item to go in there was a sword, but the chest is still open. Did it only close for people who bought the DLC, or did I just miss it?

The Estoc's pretty good, yeah.

With that stat spread you could try most of the black knight weapons, maybe the Roaring Halberd, or most anything that you can infuse with Dark or Fire.

To refill the chest, try running to Things Betwixt and back to Majula, or warp a few times.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Crits were nerfed in a dumb way. Daggers are nerfed such that they do 500-1000 (depending on the dagger) in ng and 1k+ in ng+, which is fine, but the lower raw AR weapons like katanas have bad ones (worse than regular hits, in some cases) and high raw AR weapons (such as greathammers) can still oneshot/nearly oneshot.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
Streaming blood arena again at http://www.twitch.tv/grimbattler. Listen to me complain endlessly about the soul spears.

This may be the last time I advertise in the thread, I'm sure y'all are sick of it now.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Genocyber posted:

Crits were nerfed in a dumb way. Daggers are nerfed such that they do 500-1000 (depending on the dagger) in ng and 1k+ in ng+, which is fine, but the lower raw AR weapons like katanas have bad ones (worse than regular hits, in some cases) and high raw AR weapons (such as greathammers) can still oneshot/nearly oneshot.

It makes going for parries in the already way too laggy PVP environment pretty pointless when I can do the same damage with 1-2 hits from a normal weapon as a I can with a riposte crit. What the hell.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Parry people for style. Or for GS running attacks on them so they go flying off ledges.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Nakar posted:

So I guess the DLC is playable now, if you can hack into it? Just like the last one I suppose. I'm actually surprised From's copy protection on its paid DLC amounts to "we lock one door and only give you the key if you own the DLC," given how easily bypassed that apparently is.

It's not quite that simple, you need to edit the DLC check in the code out. But yes, people are already in the DLC.

I'm really not sure how people can be comfortable with that.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Suitaru posted:

The Estoc's pretty good, yeah.

With that stat spread you could try most of the black knight weapons, maybe the Roaring Halberd, or most anything that you can infuse with Dark or Fire.

To refill the chest, try running to Things Betwixt and back to Majula, or warp a few times.

I heard that the estoc is essentially a slightly longer, but overall less effective weapon than the rapier. But that was also when the game first came out.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Verisimilidude posted:

I heard that the estoc is essentially a slightly longer, but overall less effective weapon than the rapier. But that was also when the game first came out.

It's very good. Just as strong with the appropriate stats (it scales more with str than dex), very long, more poise damage than the other rapiers, and a sweep for its 1handed r2. The best for offense, tho Rapier/Espada Ropera make up for it with their 1handed parry move.

Batigh posted:

Streaming blood arena again at http://www.twitch.tv/grimbattler. Listen to me complain endlessly about the soul spears.

This may be the last time I advertise in the thread, I'm sure y'all are sick of it now.

But you'll never become internet famous if you do that!

e:

Made a video showing off all the DLC items. No item descriptions for those who don't want to be lore spoiled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbyaX5XGJXk

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 26, 2014

chajusong
Oct 18, 2002
The DLC is live on Xbox for some reason. Lucky fucks!

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Genocyber do any of the new weapons have new Forward+R2 attacks? Also...what's the weight of the weapon you know I want to ask the weight of?

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 26, 2014

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Do we know what time the DLC is scheduled to launch on PC?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Does anyone know how to fix texture flickering? I'm playing vanilla PC settings, no external profiles or anything, 1920x1080, most settings on high. Textures and seams flicker like crazy, it drives me nuts.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Ravenfood posted:

You have to reset the chest by reloading the area. Just resting at the bonfire or using a homeward bone/aged feather isn't actually enough, you need to warp to Majula to make the game reload. Doing this from the Majula bonfire is fine, you don't have to warp away and then warp back.

Crigit fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 26, 2014

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Daynab posted:

Do we know what time the DLC is scheduled to launch on PC?

I *THINK* It's at midnight Pacific time, so in 5 hours.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Genocyber do any of the new weapons have new Forward+R2 attacks? Also...what's the weight of the weapon you know I want to ask the weight of?

35.0 70 str

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
No new leaping attacks huh? Well thanks!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
So the Ashen Warrior Sword is basically the Sun Sword with lesser scaling and a poking 2h R2?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I hope it helps explain Ashen Knight Boyd's backstory.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
can't wait to rock this dlc in the morning. Drangleic Castle skybox is gone again, tho

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

All this talk of magic hatin' has me second guessing choosing my magic only caster as my DLC character.
Does anyone know what time the DLC for those of us who haven't purchased the season pass goes up? I was able to buy the Sunken King DLC a day before but I don't see Iron King on the steam page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Early talks say the Sunken City DLC was baby cakes compared to Iron King which worries me, because I struggled quite a lot with the Sunken City.