Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It pisses me off that as soon as I'm roughly able to afford one BMW and Volvo have both stopped offering stick shift wagons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The head of our local Volvo club drove one, he said he seriously considered selling all 3 of his current custom Volvos just to buy one. They're very, very nice.

What you really want is one of the V60 Polestar cars (only come in black or blue unfortunately) but they're $61k msrp and only 120 are being built worldwide, with something like 70 coming to the US.

The R-Design is next best and you can get it with whatever you want, and it's $15k less.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The V60 R design is pretty much the only car I'd seriously consider upgrading from my 2003 e46 325iT, although they're pretty spendy.

I saw an interesting comparison article between the BMW 3 GT and the V60, it was kind of funny because the reviewer was surprised to find that the driving quality was better on the Volvo and the practicality/family friendliness was better on the BMW, the opposite of expectations:

http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/comparison-test-2014-bmw-335i-gt-vs-2015-volvo-v60-t6-r-design/

The GT is dumb as hell IMO, what the hell BMW.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I drove a new 328d 4WD wagon between Orange County and Berkeley, CA a couple months ago. It's got a roomy back seat, decent trunk space, and a huge pile of gadgets (heads-up display, onboard hard drive for your music, navigation that tries to keep you out of traffic, and so on.) I didn't like the feel of most of the plastic trim in the interior, and ECO Pro mode makes the brake-regen system really aggressive - the car feels like it's going to park itself whenever you take your foot off the gas. Luckily you can put it in Sport or Comfort instead.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

priznat posted:

Has anyone bought or test drove the newer Volvo V60s, specifically the top end T6 r spec or whatever they're called.

Great looking cars, I want a red one :allears:

The local Volvo dealership sent me an email last week with some special pricing on them that was really attractive and it took every ounce of strength not to go in there and make a dumb decision. I'm still considering at least going in and talking to them, because drat.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

SeņorMisterioso posted:

This is not my car, but I know there is always atleast one person looking for one of these and I saw this pop up.

2002 325i Wagon 5-Speed Manual at a reasonable price
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1048775

Xpost from the BMW thread. This is a really good deal, assuming your PPI works out. The seller seems knowledgeable and straightforward and you're nudging into e36/7, e36/8 M roadie/coupe levels of rarity since its a factory slicktop and 5 speed.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

SuperDucky posted:

Xpost from the BMW thread. This is a really good deal, assuming your PPI works out. The seller seems knowledgeable and straightforward and you're nudging into e36/7, e36/8 M roadie/coupe levels of rarity since its a factory slicktop and 5 speed.

That is almost my exact car although mine is a year newer and less mileage (just hit 100k km so ~60k miles?). Manual seats = less poo poo to break!

It is a great goddamn car.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

priznat posted:

That is almost my exact car although mine is a year newer and less mileage (just hit 100k km so ~60k miles?). Manual seats = less poo poo to break!

It is a great goddamn car.

Sup wagon buddy? :hfive: Manual seats ftw.

Mattress Man
Apr 3, 2009

:dukedog:

Stefan Prodan posted:

Can I ask if you're still reading the thread how you're liking this?

I'm considering this as my next car. I currently have a 09 Jaguar XF and while I really love most things about it, the build quality is, uh, well it's a Jaguar. I don't know how much of it is because it's a first model year car, but the dash is like coming up and folding in on itself (the leather I mean), the roof liner is sort of falling down and they want hundreds of dollars to fix it, it's had tons of leaks, etc. I can't decide if I test drive the BMW wagon if I want to get a 2014 or wait til 2015 to avoid getting the first model year of this wagon. I'm not sure how much it matters though since it's not the first model year of the actual 3 series body that it's on, so I dunno what to do. I haven't even driven it yet though so I might hate it and it might be irrelevant.

In general I just want something that's fun to drive and utilitarian and I definitely don't want any sort of crossover because I hate the elevated position. The price isn't a huge concern as long as it's not like 60k+ which is why I'm still considering the BMW even though value wise it's pretty bad. The 328i wagon seems like the best of all worlds though as far as toys, driving experience, comfort, speed, cargo, etc.

If I lived in a country where I could just get the XF wagon I might even consider it since I think it's gotten a bit better and it looks amazing but I don't so it's pretty irrelevant.

The other problem with the BMW wagon is that since so few are sold I'm gonna have a really hard time buying a used one with all the stuff I want (I am a huge fish when it comes to buying options but I really do like and use most of them) and in a color that I want (pretty much sand only, I don't want a dark color because it's too hot here and I think the gray leather looks stupid). So I'm afraid I might have to get one new and just feel like a huge rube for paying so much since getting a new car just seems really ridiculous. I bought my Jaguar with only 7k miles on it and it was $13,000 less than the original sticker price.

I'm still really loving it. Its a really good all-round car. Reasonably fun on twisty roads, can haul quite a bit of stuff (I put a 50" TV in there like it was nothing), and really comfortable and kid friendly if that's important. I wanted to look at the V60 but it wasn't available at the time. If you do buy the BMW I'd recommend one with the dynamic handling package so you get the adaptive suspension which really gives the car more of a dual personality.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

The head of our local Volvo club drove one, he said he seriously considered selling all 3 of his current custom Volvos just to buy one. They're very, very nice.

What you really want is one of the V60 Polestar cars (only come in black or blue unfortunately) but they're $61k msrp and only 120 are being built worldwide, with something like 70 coming to the US.

The R-Design is next best and you can get it with whatever you want, and it's $15k less.

Interesting, I have a silver V60 Polestar sitting in my bay at this very moment and there is a red one sitting in the lot.

The amount of fun you can have in one is measured in poo poo tons. The seats are stupid comfortable and supportive. I'm not a huge fan of the FoMoCo T6 but its wrapped in V60 awesomeness, so its totally worth it.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Mattress Man posted:

I'm still really loving it. Its a really good all-round car. Reasonably fun on twisty roads, can haul quite a bit of stuff (I put a 50" TV in there like it was nothing), and really comfortable and kid friendly if that's important. I wanted to look at the V60 but it wasn't available at the time. If you do buy the BMW I'd recommend one with the dynamic handling package so you get the adaptive suspension which really gives the car more of a dual personality.

Yeah I read about that, one thing I haven't liked about when I test drove the I think it was 09 3-series convertible was that the steering feels a lot more assisted and electronic in the newer BMWs. I guess there's really no getting around that, but I read one review for the wagon that said that they thought the dynamic handling helped with that somewhat since I think it adjusts the steering also?

I will probably have to just face that none of them are going to steer as well as the 03 3-series (convertible) my wife has and just deal with it, it's probably better than any other wagon I'm gonna get driving-wise.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 20, 2014

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

:allears:

wigbot v2.0
Oct 10, 2008

Hales

Wagon bro.

:zoid:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I just realized I have 5 cars, and 4 are wagons (the fifth is a Daihatsu Rocky which isn't too far off from a wagon). 1 AWD, 2 FWD*, 1 4WD, all manuals. 2 Subarus, 1 Mazda, 1 Saturn. My next car will be 1971 Datsun 510 wagon

Wagon Lyfe(tm)!

*1 FWD will be changed to AWD later this year.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Sviatoslav posted:

Interesting, I have a silver V60 Polestar sitting in my bay at this very moment and there is a red one sitting in the lot.

The amount of fun you can have in one is measured in poo poo tons. The seats are stupid comfortable and supportive. I'm not a huge fan of the FoMoCo T6 but its wrapped in V60 awesomeness, so its totally worth it.

You can get a polestar tune for any regular Volvo, but that doesn't make it part of the 2015 limited edition.

But I was wrong in my earlier quote, there's going to be 750 worldwide with 120 (80 V and 40 S) coming to the US.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

You can get a polestar tune for any regular Volvo, but that doesn't make it part of the 2015 limited edition.

But I was wrong in my earlier quote, there's going to be 750 worldwide with 120 (80 V and 40 S) coming to the US.

I feel like I should know this, being a Volvo tech, but the little blue polestar badge on the grill and gate designate the "Polestar edition" correct? Or is that just the "Polestar tune" coupled with the r-design?

I know we have a black one that is the limited edition, but it appears to be the same as the silver and red ones, granted I didn't get to work on the black one. I just assumed they were all Polestar editions.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DJ Commie posted:

*1 FWD will be changed to AWD later this year.

Which one?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Sviatoslav posted:

I feel like I should know this, being a Volvo tech, but the little blue polestar badge on the grill and gate designate the "Polestar edition" correct? Or is that just the "Polestar tune" coupled with the r-design?

I know we have a black one that is the limited edition, but it appears to be the same as the silver and red ones, granted I didn't get to work on the black one. I just assumed they were all Polestar editions.

I did some more looking and found that they haven't actually started delivering customer cars yet, So those must be polestar tuned R-designs. Not the hot new one.

http://www.volvocars.com/us/top/about/default/pages/default.aspx

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

CharlesM posted:

Which one?

This one. Its either that, or eBay the car with the 323 GTX (for parts) I do have.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Is there a Volvo thread? I'm looking at a used 98 Volvo v90, 150k miles later today. In addition to the usual stuff is there anything I should be checking for?

Nm found the thread

Cage fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 21, 2014

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

I did some more looking and found that they haven't actually started delivering customer cars yet, So those must be polestar tuned R-designs. Not the hot new one.

http://www.volvocars.com/us/top/about/default/pages/default.aspx

I'll eat my words... I would definitely notice super sexy brembo 6 piston.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DJ Commie posted:

This one. Its either that, or eBay the car with the 323 GTX (for parts) I do have.

I was hoping you'd say that one

Cage posted:

Is there a Volvo thread? I'm looking at a used 98 Volvo v90, 150k miles later today. In addition to the usual stuff is there anything I should be checking for?

Nm found the thread

i want a v90

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Dynoed the Vagon today. It was heatsoaked but pretty consistent. Now to turn up the wick.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Tremek posted:

Dynoed the Vagon today. It was heatsoaked but pretty consistent. Now to turn up the wick.

oh yeah "only" 450 at the wheels, better improve that you slowpoke! What are your plans? I'm really only familiar with the LS2 (9-7 Aero) but I've been looking at intake/headers/e-fans/cam and tuning netting a 100hp bump. I imagine your motor is a little more optimized from the factory and it won't be that easy to get a 25% increase.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A GM optimized from the factory :roflolmao:

The 630hp(+74hp) lingenfelter kit consists of a pulley, intake, filter, and thermostat.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Modus Man posted:

oh yeah "only" 450 at the wheels, better improve that you slowpoke! What are your plans? I'm really only familiar with the LS2 (9-7 Aero) but I've been looking at intake/headers/e-fans/cam and tuning netting a 100hp bump. I imagine your motor is a little more optimized from the factory and it won't be that easy to get a 25% increase.

The difference is the supercharger on the LSA. It's loafing along in stock trim, so spinning it faster and giving it more air and fuel nets crazy gains for the dollars spent. Many guys on stock internals are at 700whp. Will report back with results!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That guy needs to update his Windows haha

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Tremek posted:

The difference is the supercharger on the LSA. It's loafing along in stock trim, so spinning it faster and giving it more air and fuel nets crazy gains for the dollars spent. Many guys on stock internals are at 700whp. Will report back with results!

Keep living the dream and post here often. I must live vicariously through you.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Hey guys - long time reader, first time poster. I'm looking for a wagon somewhere in the $22,000-$30,000 range. So far I've started to look at the Outback, VW Sportwagen (diesel), and the Acura TSX Wagon. Outback has lower mpg but the AWD would be great if I end up renting a ski house with my buddies and driving up to Tahoe every week or two. The Acura would definitely stretch my budget a bit but could be doable if I get a good deal on the financing. Is there anything I should know about the VW? I've never had a diesel or turbo engine before. How's the maintenance? Any reason I should consider the non-diesel version other than price?

casque
Mar 17, 2009
Get the ski house and the Subaru. Use the Subaru to get to the ski house all the time!

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Came for the car advice, stayed for the life advice. Thanks!

I guess the Outback was redesigned for 2015. Any reason I shouldn't just go for the 2014 and hope for a price break?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If you're considering a newer Outback you might as well look at some of the small SUVs. It's big enough now that a CR-V and CX-5 are both smaller. You also open yourself up to a lot more options in that price point.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Bovril Delight posted:

If you're considering a newer Outback you might as well look at some of the small SUVs. It's big enough now that a CR-V and CX-5 are both smaller. You also open yourself up to a lot more options in that price point.

The new outback really is just a SUV now.

Get a tdi sportwagen and some good snow tires and you will be set. Even with the stock tires that came on mine I had no trouble on the one day there was actually snow on the ground.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
I'm from New England and I'm totally comfortable driving FWD in the snow but in California the law says that you have to pull over and chain up if it's snowing in the mountains unless you have AWD. Kind of sucks when you're going after work and you have to pull over and deal with that at 10:00. I'm still going to test drive the VW though.

I'm currently driving an XTerra and I was kind of set on downsizing to a wagon but I guess those small SUVs are a lot more reasonable. I'll take a look. This is kind of heading into non-wagon talk so I'll end the derail here until I have some more specific wagon questions. Thanks again.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Dopo posted:

I'm from New England and I'm totally comfortable driving FWD in the snow but in California the law says that you have to pull over and chain up if it's snowing in the mountains unless you have AWD. Kind of sucks when you're going after work and you have to pull over and deal with that at 10:00. I'm still going to test drive the VW though.

I don't think that applies if you have proper snow tires, but I could be wrong. We actually went from a 2000 Outback to a 2013 VW Sportwagen and I hate how much I love the VW.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Hmmm, I just looked it up and I guess there are three different types of chain controls.

:cop: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/chcontrl.htm

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

There are three, but they only ever use the middle one ( e.g. chains or AWD required.) Just snow tires is not sufficient, and their definition of snow tires is just "all season": needs the M+S on the sidewall. This is why AWD is a requirement for me now, despite having grown up in Syracuse and being comfortable with FWD and real snow tires. Caltrans does not agree.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Dopo posted:

Hey guys - long time reader, first time poster. I'm looking for a wagon somewhere in the $22,000-$30,000 range. So far I've started to look at the Outback, VW Sportwagen (diesel), and the Acura TSX Wagon. Outback has lower mpg but the AWD would be great if I end up renting a ski house with my buddies and driving up to Tahoe every week or two. The Acura would definitely stretch my budget a bit but could be doable if I get a good deal on the financing. Is there anything I should know about the VW? I've never had a diesel or turbo engine before. How's the maintenance? Any reason I should consider the non-diesel version other than price?

Of those three the TSX is my favorite. I'd consider the Jetta if it was covered by a good warranty during my ownership period. The Outback is ponderous and miserably large with poor visibility. Cons to the TSX are no AWD and a ho-hum drive train, but I think you'd be fine with snow tires and the road manners make up for it.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

blk posted:

Of those three the TSX is my favorite. I'd consider the Jetta if it was covered by a good warranty during my ownership period. The Outback is ponderous and miserably large with poor visibility. Cons to the TSX are no AWD and a ho-hum drive train, but I think you'd be fine with snow tires and the road manners make up for it.

As mentioned above, in California he will not be fine with road tires. Chains are a pain in the rear end that I dealt with for years with my GTI, including some damage to the ABS harness. If you are only going to the mountains occasionally it isn't that much of a hassle, but if you've got a ski house and are driving there fairly regularly, I strongly recommend AWD if only because caltrans will require you to use chains if you don't have it and there's more than a dusting of snow on the road.

Note that this is speaking from my years of experience driving to Tahoe; if you are in LA or thereabouts it may be different.

edit: but really its all moot since it is never going to snow in California again anyway

Steve French fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I was behind a new Outback in traffic the other day and was shocked how huge and ungainly it was. I mean Subies have never been that good looking but that thing is just grotesque.

I'd definitely go with the TDI sportwagen instead, with a nice set of snow tires it'd be fine for getting to the ski hills.

• Locked thread