Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yes, and the phone recordings in the beginning of each night are in no way meant to be humorous. At all. They're totally serious and scary and spooky and ooky.

The scariest part was when the check came up at the end and it was... :spooky: a frighteningly small amount of money for 5 nights of work! :spooky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
3 dollars an hour for sitting around doing exactly nothing except flipping some door switches every now and then sounds perfectly fair to me.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I am upset that people are jokingly reading into jokes, they are called jokes for a reason not serious things.

Dickshitting goon balls

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I did sort of want the Xbox versions, but they cost twice as much as buying it on the PSN ($20 vs $10). Also means no undub patches for me, sadly.

The voice acting in fatal frame 2 and 3 is fine.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Please analyze and discuss the characters and setting of Five Nights at Freddy's and how they relate to the teachings of our lord and savior, Jesus Christ. This is a serious post about a serious game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

GANDHITRON posted:

Please analyze and discuss the characters and setting of Five Nights at Freddy's and how they relate to the teachings of our lord and savior, Jesus Christ. This is a serious post about a serious game.

Mark Schmidt is Jonah in the "Whale" (Freddy's Pizza), and the animatronic robots trying to kill him are the animatronic robots that the whale ate ten thousand years ago.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
The glorious free market that posted the advertisement allowing you to knowingly and willingly trade your time and safety for cash earned by sacred corporations is obviously Jesus because iit is here to lift us above the limitations of the material world . The man leaving fb messages is a Prophet of Christ who was martyred for his works. The messages themselves are the Good News. The animatronic characters represent our choices in life--we can choose to allow them to bring us to God or shut them out. My uncle works for the company,, that invented the game.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Sharzak posted:

The glorious free market that posted the advertisement allowing you to knowingly and willingly trade your time and safety for cash earned by sacred corporations is obviously Jesus because iit is here to lift us above the limitations of the material world . The man leaving fb messages is a Prophet of Christ who was martyred for his works. The messages themselves are the Good News. The animatronic characters represent our choices in life--we can choose to allow them to bring us to God or shut them out. My uncle works for the company,, that invented the game.

Counterpoint: Big Dumb Belching Bear

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

The most genuine sense of dread you'll feel in 5N2F is getting fired at the end and wondering where you're going to have to go next for money.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Since I only played Fatal Frame 2 completely and the first bit of 3 I'm now going through the first one thanks to this thread. Holy :laffo: you weren't kidding about the voice acting. Atmosphere is solid though and going through the same house in different nights is cooler than I thought.

That blinded woman though, gently caress. I mean I think I figured out her deal now but before you do jesus christ.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

Rita Repulsa posted:

I think it's good HORROR but not so much a good GAME. I don't really feel like I'm making any real progress or performing actions in an informed manner and I don't feel like subjecting myself to that to fail a bunch more times.

Has anyone here played Knock Knock, the most recent game by Ice Pick Lodge, creators of Pathologic? My thoughts on it are pretty much this. It's in a 'nights' sort of format like 5NAF, and basically the goal is to keep the monsters out of your house until morning.

It feels really similar in its gameplay and concepts, in the way that mostly nothing is explained as far as actual direct gameplay mechanics and your goal is to just manipulate the game into not killing you somehow with no real idea of what does what until you manage to survive into the next night by the seat of your pants, mostly on accident.

I enjoyed the atmosphere and I like Ice Pick Lodge in concept but I just didn't ENJOY playing Knock Knock at all because I hate not actually knowing which of my actions are affecting the game.

Also, I find that these games generally become really easy if you have some sort of guide or cheat sheet as to what the 'hook' or actual gameplay mechanic is. Once you realize I believe in the case of Knock Knock, that you're meant to flick all the lights in the entire house on, and then keep them on by turning back on lights that go out the goal, everything becomes trivial. I imagine a lot of people start to fall out of love with 5NAF when people start to realize how the underlying mechanics work and everyone goes "Oooh, that's DUUMB. He teleports! How are you supposed to know about Golden Freddy? So wait, that laugh is an audio cue?" etc.

I dunno if it's necessarily bad design, per se, but it definitely is a certain type of game and some people are going to love them and some will hate them. I feel like "Survival Horror" is a good term except what it ACTUALLY means is something totally different from the genre I described.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I liked Knock knock enough for a couple plays (I still never got the good ending, the game is pretty hard), but it got pretty tedious. The randomized outside areas didn't help, I swear I was wandering around in the woods for a good five minutes once before the house popped back up.

In related news I discovered that I'm too much of a wuss for Five Nights at Freddys. The game is nerve wracking. I finally got to night 3, but that's after a few tries and playing during the daytime.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
The guy in Freddy's totally doesn't leave because it's the only job he could get. Call it a joke or a ~statement~ but that's what is obviously implied. I played 16 minutes of it according to Steam, and I'm probably good. I appreciate what it does, and I like the originality and the visuals, but sitting on my rear end doing nothing, then dying and having to sit on my rear end again just isn't my bag. Knock-Knock plays a million times better, although it isn't much of a horror game.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
So I finished Silent Hill 3 yesterday, what does everyone think of this entry in the series generally? I liked it, but I feel the impact of the cult stuff will never amount to what they did with SH2. I've had the PC version of SH3 for like 2 years and never got around to actually finishing it, but for quite a while I was like "this just isn't scary" and action level normal is far too drat easy for a survival horror.

However, as the game was drawing to a close the atmosphere gets EXTREMELY oppressive and I started to feel super stressed out. The final level is really, really fuckin good.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

3 had a level of production value and variety that you just don't see in horror games anymore. Like at the time it was one of the best looking games in the world, and they packed a ton of weird, unique little effects and sequences in there just to bolster the atmosphere. It's the most "setpiece-y" of the Silent Hill games, but I think it's more replayable because of it. I actually enjoyed the act of playing through it multiple times in quick succession, which I never did with the others.

Also for my money it has the best soundtrack in the series.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

The soundtrack is the scariest part of the game in spots, it's really god drat good.

edit: Someone should hack in a controllable camera though, that poo poo got annoying in spots. I know they want to do their Hitchcockian camera angles and stuff, but the amount of times I pressed L1 to swing the camera around only for it to spin right back around was super annoying.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 25, 2014

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Silent Hill 3 is my favorite Silent Hill, but it'd got quite a few problems. Mainly the instant deaths being dumb and the plot not really even starting until the game is almost over.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I don't think it's my favourite, I like SH2's adherence to weird rear end poo poo to be way more compelling, but it's definitely my second favourite. After that it's probably Shattered Memories then Downpour (for some reason my opinion of Downpour is way more positive in the time since finishing it).

Should I bother with SH4? I like the room conceit and there's parts I quite liked from what I played of it, atmospherically. I never got around to playing past the first few areas.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Silent Hill 4 is the best one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiDz69EqlFk

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
^^^
SH4 is a mixed bag. On the one hand everything they do regarding the apartment is awesome. On the other hand, the weapon durability system is really annoying, I quite dislike the ghosts, and the second half of the game is very poorly put together. I'd recommend it if you're a Silent Hill fan, but it's both a different experience and of a different caliber than 2 and 3.

cat doter posted:

So I finished Silent Hill 3 yesterday, what does everyone think of this entry in the series generally? I liked it, but I feel the impact of the cult stuff will never amount to what they did with SH2. I've had the PC version of SH3 for like 2 years and never got around to actually finishing it, but for quite a while I was like "this just isn't scary" and action level normal is far too drat easy for a survival horror.

However, as the game was drawing to a close the atmosphere gets EXTREMELY oppressive and I started to feel super stressed out. The final level is really, really fuckin good.

I definitely prefer SH2 to SH3, but SH3 is a very good Silent Hill game in its own right. In general I preferred the tone of SH2 a good bit more (mostly because I love unreliable narrators in my horror), but drat if the set pieces weren't great in SH3. The mirror room in particular probably freaked me out more singularly than anything else in the series, with only the hotel elevator in SH2 coming close.

My qualms are minor, mostly about the experience feeling a little more disjoint and some of the puzzles being too obtuse on hard (seriously gently caress the hospital keypad puzzle). I usually start by recommending people play SH2 if they're new to the series, and then if they like I immediately put SH3 into their hands.

Brackhar fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 25, 2014

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Brackhar posted:

^^^
SH4 is a mixed bag. On the one hand everything they do regarding the apartment is awesome. On the other hand, the weapon durability system is really annoying, I quite dislike the ghosts, and the second half of the game is very poorly put together. I'd recommend it if you're a Silent Hill fan, but it's both a different experience and of a different caliber than 2 and 3.

I definitely prefer SH2 to SH3, but SH3 is a very good Silent Hill game in its own right. In general I preferred the tone of SH2 a good bit more (mostly because I love unreliable narrators in my horror), but drat if the set pieces weren't great in SH3. The mirror room in particular probably freaked me out more singularly than anything else in the series, with only the hotel elevator in SH2 coming close.

My qualms are minor, mostly about the experience feeling a little more disjoint and some of the puzzles being too obtuse on hard (seriously gently caress the hospital keypad puzzle). I usually start by recommending people play SH2 if they're new to the series, and then if they like I immediately put SH3 into their hands.

I felt quite proud of myself for solving the keypad puzzle in the hospital on normal in a couple minutes. I didn't have a pen on me so I googled the puzzle just so I could read the text and look at the keypad at the same time, then it took maybe 30 seconds to figure out. It was kinda weird looking at a walkthrough that could've just told me the answer but I knew I'd get it if I could have the text and keypad side by side.

I ended up googling the tarot card solution because after looking at that huge wall of text I was like "nah I'm not even gonna bother". That puzzle must be some serious poo poo on hard.

And yeah unreliable narrators in horror work so god damned well.

My history with Silent Hill is really weird. I saw my brother finish the first game when it was relatively new, I also saw him play through parts of SH3, but I was too young and stupid to like stuff like Silent Hill. I saw the movie first, then played Shattered Memories, then Homecoming (poo poo sucks) then 2, Downpour, and now 3. I would not recommend doing this. I hated the movie but got really intrigued by Shattered Memories since it had a kind of David Lynch vibe in spots.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

My favorite part is Silent Hill 3 is definitely the Borley Haunted Mansion. The moment I realized I was going into a cheesy spookhouse in the Silent Hill universe I knew I was in for something great.

I really like Silent Hill 3 overall. I think why it seems kind of underrated now is that a lot of people played Silent Hill 2 first, so they were disappointed when Silent Hill 3 continued the plot of the first game instead of being another standalone psychological study of a troubled protagonist like Silent Hill 2. I actually rented Silent Hill 3 years before I played Silent Hill 2 on PC, so I appreciated it as a follow-up and huge improvement over the first game.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Also, how does the rating stuff work in SH3? Apparently there's only one possible ending on the first playthrough (which is smart) but I finished the game in 4 hours 51 minutes with a 5 star rating. It didn't feel like I did that well.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

cat doter posted:

I felt quite proud of myself for solving the keypad puzzle in the hospital on normal in a couple minutes. I didn't have a pen on me so I googled the puzzle just so I could read the text and look at the keypad at the same time, then it took maybe 30 seconds to figure out. It was kinda weird looking at a walkthrough that could've just told me the answer but I knew I'd get it if I could have the text and keypad side by side.

Yeah, there's a big difference between normal and hard on this though. Seriously, try to get a keypad combination out of the following letter, without a hint that the letter related to a keypad code in the first place and isn't just the ravings of a madman:

Silent Hill 3 posted:

Pure eyes, blue like a glassy bead —
You are always looking at me
and I am always looking at you.
Ah, you're too meek —
beautiful, unspoiled:
thus I'm so sad, I suffer —
and so happy, it hurts.
I want to hurt you
and destroy myself
What you would think
if you knew how I felt.
Would you simply smile,
not saying a word?
Even curses from your mouth
would be as beautiful as pearls.
I place my left hand on your
face as though we were to kiss.
Then I suddenly shove my thumb
deep into your eyesocket.
Abruptly, decisively,
like drilling a hole.
And what would it feel like?
Like jelly?
Trembling with ecstasy, I obscenely
mix it around and around: I must
taste the warmth of your blood.
How would you scream?
Would you shriek "It hurts!
It hurts!" as cinnabar-red tears
stream from your crushed eye?
You can't know the maddening
hunger I've felt in the midst of
our kisses, so many of them
I've lost count.
As though drinking in your cries,
I bring my hopes to fruition:
biting your tongue, shredding it,
biting at your lips as if tasting
your lipstick.
Oh, what euphoric heights I would
reach, having my desires fulfilled
like a greedy, gluttonous cur.
I longed, too, for your cherry-tinted
cheeks, tasty enough to bewitch my
tongue.
I would surely be healed,
and would cry like a child.
And how is your tender ear?
It brushes against my cheek;
I want it to creep up to my lips so
I can sink my teeth into its flesh.
Your left ear, always hearing words
whispered sweet as pie —
I want it to hear my true feelings.
I never lied, no...
but I did have my secrets.
Ah, but what must you think of me?
Do you hate me? Are you afraid?
As though inviting you to the agony
at the play's end, if you wish, you
could destroy me — I wouldn't care.
As you wish, you may destroy me
— I wouldn't care.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
3 was actually the first one I played. It really has drat good graphics, they still really hold up ten years later. Heather's the most likable protagonist of the series (But I guess that's not saying too much because every protagonist after her aside from Shattered Memories', have been bland as hell but she's still a fun character.) The atmosphere is pretty great too, its just really hellish and relentless. It was a nice conclusion to 1 and its a shame that most of the series afterwards had to drag up the cult again.

2's still my favorite though. I just love its dank and melancholy atmosphere and it has the strongest storytelling in the series, though I really liked Shattered Memories as well. I also liked 2's version of the town, that's its this mysterious location that people are drawn to out of personal subconcious desire and it could either be their own hell or paradise depending on their state of mind.

cat doter posted:

Also, how does the rating stuff work in SH3? Apparently there's only one possible ending on the first playthrough (which is smart) but I finished the game in 4 hours 51 minutes with a 5 star rating. It didn't feel like I did that well.
You have to really speedrun the game and barely use any health items to get a high rating.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Brackhar posted:

Yeah, there's a big difference between normal and hard on this though. Seriously, try to get a keypad combination out of the following letter, without a hint that the letter related to a keypad code in the first place and isn't just the ravings of a madman:

what the gently caress

Is it some sort of word cipher? I can't make heads or tails of that.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

cat doter posted:

what the gently caress
SH3 Hard Mode does not gently caress around.

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

Brackhar posted:

^^^

The ghosts were an interesting turn of events in that you could no longer run out of a room away from a monster, something that has always seemed a bit backwards, doors always stopping monsters.

However, it starts sucking around the half way mark. I could forgive either having to revisit old levels or having a useless character in tow, but both together killed the game for me.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

cat doter posted:

what the gently caress

Serious answer, it's related to the keypad in that the keypad itself is a "grid" that corresponds to a human face. You have to press the buttons that correspond to the parts he names in that order. So "left eye" would be the second-from-left button in the center, mouth would be the second-from-bottom center... etc. I can't remember exactly which buttons or what the pad looked like, but that was it. You were supposed to figure that out just from a random note with a creepy rant on it.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

Serious answer, it's related to the keypad in that the keypad itself is a "grid" that corresponds to a human face. You have to press the buttons that correspond to the parts he names in that order. So "left eye" would be the second-from-left button in the center, mouth would be the second-from-bottom center... etc. I can't remember exactly which buttons or what the pad looked like, but that was it. You were supposed to figure that out just from a random note with a creepy rant on it.

The main problem here is that it's a 3x3 grid, so the relationship of the buttons doesn't line up quite as you would expect, even if you do make that connection.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
There's a puzzle in the beginning of SH3, possibly the first one, that requires fairly extensive knowledge of Shakespeare in order to complete on Hard. I would like to meet the man who completed Hard mode without a guide.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There's a puzzle in the beginning of SH3, possibly the first one, that requires fairly extensive knowledge of Shakespeare in order to complete on Hard. I would like to meet the man who completed Hard mode without a guide.

I actually really loved that puzzle, except for one stanza. The basic issue is that there are some Shakespeare books on the ground and you need to put them back on the shelves in a certain order. Here is the hard puzzle.

Silent Hill 3 posted:

"In here is a tragedy---
art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.

The first words at thy left hand:
a false lunacy, a madly dancing man.
Hearing unhearable words, drawn
to a beloved's grave---and there,
mayhap, true madness at last.

As did this one, playing at death,
find true death at the last.
Killing a nameless lover, she
pierced a heart rent by sorrow.

Doth lie invite truth?
Doth verity but wear the
mask of falsehood?
Ah, thou pitiful, thou
miserable ones!

Still amidst lies, though the end cometh not,
wherefore yearn for death?
Wilt thou attend to thy beloved?
Truth and lies, life and death:
a game of turning white to black
and black to white.

Is not a silence brimming with
love more precious than flattery?
A peaceful slumber preferred to
a throne besmirched with blood?

One vengeful man
spilled blood for two;
Two youths shed tears for three;
Three witches disappeared thusly;
And only the four keys remain.

Ah, but verily...
In here is a tragedy---
art thou player or audience?
There is nothing which cannot
become a puppet of fate or an
onlooker, peering into the cage."

The second to last stanza requires to do some math on the volume numbers to solve the puzzle, and that's as you can see not clear at all. Overall though I thought requiring the player to be able to identify major Shakespeare plays to progress on Hard was super cool.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

cat doter posted:

what the gently caress

I think From Earth's SH3 LP explained the puzzle pretty well if you're curious about how it works. Scroll down the page a little to find it.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I'm a relatively smart guy, but it looks like I'm not "Silent Hill Hard puzzle difficulty" smart. :smith:

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

cat doter posted:

I'm a relatively smart guy, but it looks like I'm not "Silent Hill Hard puzzle difficulty" smart. :smith:

Those two puzzles were notable spikes in difficulty. Otherwise I loved hard.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cat doter posted:

Don't beat yourself up over it. The guys who designed SH2 & 3's Hard puzzles were warlocks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lavender Philtrum posted:

Also, I find that these games generally become really easy if you have some sort of guide or cheat sheet as to what the 'hook' or actual gameplay mechanic is. Once you realize I believe in the case of Knock Knock, that you're meant to flick all the lights in the entire house on, and then keep them on by turning back on lights that go out the goal, everything becomes trivial. I imagine a lot of people start to fall out of love with 5NAF when people start to realize how the underlying mechanics work and everyone goes "Oooh, that's DUUMB. He teleports! How are you supposed to know about Golden Freddy? So wait, that laugh is an audio cue?" etc.

Also this is actually the worst thing you can do in Knock Knock. You're supposed to turn the lights on, wait for the Lodger to "remember" the room's furniture (which makes it harder for Guests/Tears to spawn), and then switch them off again. Guests are almost totally invisible in lit rooms, so if you keep the whole house lit you'll be getting caught constantly.

You're right in that Knock Knock is mostly about trying to learn the rules for a game you don't understand before it takes off the kid gloves and makes you hurt. Very interesting structure, but I wouldn't play it more than once.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

Also this is actually the worst thing you can do in Knock Knock. You're supposed to turn the lights on, wait for the Lodger to "remember" the room's furniture (which makes it harder for Guests/Tears to spawn), and then switch them off again. Guests are almost totally invisible in lit rooms, so if you keep the whole house lit you'll be getting caught constantly.

You're right in that Knock Knock is mostly about trying to learn the rules for a game you don't understand before it takes off the kid gloves and makes you hurt. Very interesting structure, but I wouldn't play it more than once.

I thought tears wouldn't end up spawning in lit rooms though?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Brackhar posted:

I thought tears wouldn't end up spawning in lit rooms though?

The bulbs shatter and the tears spawn anyway. They just do it less often in rooms containing furniture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Brackhar posted:

I actually really loved that puzzle, except for one stanza. The basic issue is that there are some Shakespeare books on the ground and you need to put them back on the shelves in a certain order. Here is the hard puzzle.

The second to last stanza requires to do some math on the volume numbers to solve the puzzle, and that's as you can see not clear at all. Overall though I thought requiring the player to be able to identify major Shakespeare plays to progress on Hard was super cool.

wow...now that's what I call scary