Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lol. read the last couple pages in that thread, dude will not be getting any of my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

PantsBandit posted:

[...] and x360ce. Extracted x360ce into the DATA folder, [...]

Why?

I assume you use this:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4Windows-yet-another-DualShock-4-driver
which is a fork of this:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper

have you installed the scp drivers?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Was just going by the directions I found on google :shrug:

Thanks for the response, hopefully I can figure it out.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

DannyTanner posted:

Is NEStalgia the game with the baby dev that bans you on the forums if you're critical at all?

Yes, pretty much. I tried to give the game a solid try in the Greenlight phase. I had massive input lag and every step was an exercise in frustration. Best part? There were a whole 15 people on the server. I can't even imagine what it's like under heavier loads. The dev says he is separate from BYOND now, but I don't think that is actually the case. It still uses some part of the BYOND login system, as you can see every server status on the BYOND page.

I believe a lot of the art assets are submitted by the rabid 10-year-old fans. They don't even care if they sign over rights for free, because their pixel art is in a video game now! However, it makes for a wide range of quality.

Overall it was just boring as hell. There are an insane amount of F2P MMOs out there with actual 3D graphics! And no huge lag on input times! You could do better in every conceivable way, and for free.

Boy did the insanity over Greenlight make for a hilarious few weeks though.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

PantsBandit posted:

I have been using this since the DS4 came out without problem. The only other thing you need is the Microsoft XB360 driver. Those get installed automatically, when you plug in a wired 360 pad ( or download here: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows)

the x360ce stuff was needed for the DS3, the instructions you had probably mixed something up.

edit: - try the DS4 via usb, BT may cause issues

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Dominic White posted:

It's not really a platformer (there's not even a jump button) - it's more of a Boulder Dash/Sokoban style block-puzzle game, but with a Metroid'y style overworld tying together everything. Some very clever puzzles in there, involving a lot of block types, with alternate solutions to get bonus gubbins.

Whether it is or not should be mostly rendered moot by the fact that the Source Code Project updated its all-in-one installer quite recently. Just point the installer at it for an instant upgrade from this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pIPipbQlTY

To this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXF2uHPiZoo

:aaa:
Holy mother of gently caress.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

I've had better success with this version than with the one he posted. I don't know what the differences are really, other than this one having a much nicer interface:

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4Windows-Another-fork-another-thread

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Deakul posted:

:aaa:
Holy mother of gently caress.

To be fair, War In Heaven 2 is a fan-made expansion/campaign, but it's included in the SCP installer, I believe. The original campaign doesn't look quite as impressive, but close enough.

Hell of an upgrade, either way.

Edit: It DOES include a fan-made remake of the original Freespace and its expansion too, so you get double the fun right off the bat.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 25, 2014

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

DannyTanner posted:

Is NEStalgia the game with the baby dev that bans you on the forums if you're critical at all?

Yes and on the bright side is now if you don't want to support this particular developer, you can choose not to give them any money by sliding the slider for NEStalgia to zero.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Don't know for sure but the thing that fixed it completely for me was making sure "Hide DS4 Controller" was checked. Other than that I've had no issues myself.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Look what got re-branded. Again.

quote:

“An instant classic.”
Steam Review

“Best transformation of a game I've ever seen.”
Steam Review

“I am completely addicted.”
Steam Review

e:

Gamefly sold on. Rip D2D, and the copy of SWAT4 they stole from me :argh:

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 25, 2014

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Im_Special posted:

Yes and on the bright side is now if you don't want to support this particular developer, you can choose not to give them any money by sliding the slider for NEStalgia to zero.

CRAP forgot to do that... meh oh well.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Accordion Man posted:

Was this Greenlit? Please tell me that it wasn't, because that would be hilarious.

No, there's a whole bunch of 'graphics packs' that you can download that are royalty (and in some cases 'talent') free. It's a neat, low effort way to generate some cash.

Edit:

Dominic White posted:

To be fair, War In Heaven 2 is a fan-made expansion/campaign, but it's included in the SCP installer, I believe. The original campaign doesn't look quite as impressive, but close enough.

Hell of an upgrade, either way.

Edit: It DOES include a fan-made remake of the original Freespace and its expansion too, so you get double the fun right off the bat.

War in Heaven 2 was Goon contributed, I believe. General Battuta (name may be mangled, apologies) is a contributor to a number of the space sim threads.

While I'm here...

Just going to mention 'litcubes universe' as an X3:Albion Prelude mod; it's a total conversion that adds a creeping menace to the map, a bunch of quality of life updates, an NPC corporation that uses the same rules as yourself and a bunch of new models. Effectively it's the same game with enough differences to add nuance, so if you hated vanilla it's probably not a good thing.
https://code.google.com/p/litcubesuniverse/wiki/01_What_is_Litcubes_Universe

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 25, 2014

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

e:

I never got my World in Conflict back either. How long before they just pull the plug on that dead turd?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, looks like I archived all of my non-Steam purchases when Gamefly bought D2D. Nice that I don't have to do it again.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Man, every single company that buys a digital storefront just expects to instantly get Steam numbers without putting in any of the work huh? GameStop dropped all support Stardock's old Impulse store after spending who knows how much buying the thing (and subsequently didn't improve on it at all) and now Gamefly does the same (though that was after, in my opinion, making it worse than what they started with).

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

So is has anything cool been ported to tabletop simulator?

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012

Croccers posted:

Also what's with the amount of diving/underwater games lately? (You know, like, more than 1 that aren't submarine games)

I fondly remember spending hours and hours and hours on an underwater game about 20 years ago... Might have been Archimedean Dynasty. It was amazing :allears:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Street Horrrsing posted:

So is has anything cool been ported to tabletop simulator?

A fuckton of stuff: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/browse/?appid=286160

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is there a way to play the Act of War games on windows 8.1. The first link that comes up in google is for a now discontinued piece of MS software called Direct Play.

It seems really odd that there hasn't been a definitive fix for this yet.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Look what got re-branded. Again.

In all fairness, that was their plan from the beginning and they've been pretty open about it. And the game is vastly improved compared to its trainwreck launch.

Can't really complain when it's only $1, either.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Clitch posted:

Alpha Protocol is indeed awesome. I haven't gotten around to playing it in a few years, but I've decided, in my next run, every character decision will be decided by What would Sterling Archer do?

I tried to get into this game just about four months ago, and unfortunately the baseline combat mechanics pushed me away. It's kinda sad too, because I got far enough in to see that it does actually do some pretty innovative stuff narratively. I just can't slog through the content to see it though. :smith:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dominic White posted:

Can't really complain when it's only $1, either.

Read the steam forums and reviews and you'll most certainly see you can.

:geno:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just wish the Steam ver of Alpha Protocol had controller support.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

GreenNight posted:

I just wish the Steam ver of Alpha Protocol had controller support.

It totally does. I played the whole thing multiple times with a 360 controller.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm playing Dishonored, finally. Though I'm only on the second assassination, it really looks like I'm gonna have high chaos by the end at this rate. I'm not very good at stealth :ohdear:

It sure seems like there's not much for incapacitating enemies once you're discovered, though. Got two killing crossbow bolts, a pistol, grenades, and those horrifying razor wire mines for making mans dead, and for making them not dead I have... sleep darts. :geno:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

I'm playing Dishonored, finally. Though I'm only on the second assassination, it really looks like I'm gonna have high chaos by the end at this rate. I'm not very good at stealth :ohdear:

It sure seems like there's not much for incapacitating enemies once you're discovered, though. Got two killing crossbow bolts, a pistol, grenades, and those horrifying razor wire mines for making mans dead, and for making them not dead I have... sleep darts. :geno:

You can't incapacitate once you're discovered (you can with the darts, but it's much harder). That's the point. You have an opportunity and you snooze you lose.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The sleep darts and running away are your only options if you do get into combat, really. That or savescumming, which was my solution. Just go back and work out how to do it better. Running away is really where it is though. As soon as you can blink you can start running away far faster than they can chase you, and then go back and try again, possibly from a different rooftop. Don't forget also that even if they're a little bit alerted, that doesn't mean they know where you are or have their swords out yet, and they won't all come at once until they're pretty pissed. Getting them just aware enough to come checking and then appearing behind them and throttling them is a really useful tactic early on.

For me, the game really opened up when I got possession. Being able to get rats allows you to access plenty of new places and routes past enemies (later on in the game, a lot of my nonlethality came from just getting into a rat and running to the next safespot), and then when you can possess guards it's just grabbing dudes and walking them somewhere quiet where you can throw them off a bridge. If you're trying to not kill, it's more about finding creative ways to get some alone time with a guard rather than trying lots of different gadgets. Explore the map, work out where's safe and where the guards patrol and then separate them. It's almost more of a puzzle game than anything else if you're going for totally or mostly stealthy play.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 25, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm having fun, don't get me wrong, it just makes me feel a bit of a daft bastard when I end up less 'assassin' and more 'crazed psychopath'. :v:

Since you mention it, hucking unconscious bodies off a bridge counts as a kill and therefore raises chaos, right?

(edit) Incidentally, do killed weepers count? Feels a bit like doing em a favor really :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 25, 2014

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I sit a few feet from my monitor, so wireless accessories are nice. Anyone know if I can plug Microsoft's 360 headset into the wireless 360 controller? Google's giving me contradictory answers.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm having fun, don't get me wrong, it just makes me feel a bit of a daft bastard when I end up less 'assassin' and more 'crazed psychopath'. :v:

Since you mention it, hucking unconscious bodies off a bridge counts as a kill and therefore raises chaos, right?

(edit) Incidentally, do killed weepers count? Feels a bit like doing em a favor really :(

An unconscious body can die, yes. Eaten by rats on the ground, a slow drown in water, tumbling off a high edge, et cetera.

And weepers count because they're still people, only literal animals don't count towards the chaos - dogs, fish, rats.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Drifter posted:

An unconscious body can die, yes. Eaten by rats on the ground, a slow drown in water, tumbling off a high edge, et cetera.

And weepers count because they're still people, only literal animals don't count towards the chaos - dogs, fish, rats.

You can kill dogs? drat, wish I knew.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Drifter posted:

Be careful of puddles of water because people can drown in them too.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Crappy Jack posted:

It totally does. I played the whole thing multiple times with a 360 controller.

Wow, no poo poo. I thought for sure that it wasn't. Awesome, time to replay on a non-360!

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Anyone know what causes Steam to list a bunch of games as "Update Queued"? It happens when my PC wakes up from sleep, and nothing kicks off all the pending downloads except bouncing the app.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I got my Steam account hijacked... like a loving idiot.

I've canceled my credit card, and filed a ticket with Steam support. Is there anything else I can do? I noticed that Valve wants me to upload a photo of a CD Key for a retail game I own with the support ticket number written above it, but I can't find where on the ticket to actually do that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pirate Jet posted:

I got my Steam account hijacked... like a loving idiot.

I've canceled my credit card, and filed a ticket with Steam support. Is there anything else I can do? I noticed that Valve wants me to upload a photo of a CD Key for a retail game I own with the support ticket number written above it, but I can't find where on the ticket to actually do that.

What do you mean like an idiot? What did you do?

When you make a support ticket there should be a little 'add attachment' link just beneath the box where you type in your Step 2 question.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 26, 2014

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Drifter posted:

What do you mean like an idiot? What did you do?

When you make a support ticket there should be a little 'add attachment' link just beneath the box where you type in your Step 2 question.

Yeah, saw the "add attachment" two seconds after I posted that. gently caress, I'm stupid.

I fell victim to a scam where I was asked to upload an SSFN file. I didn't know what it was at the time, but now I know it's the file that Steam uses to recognize that your computer is legit, and that it doesn't need to re-apply for Steam Guard. I'm a loving dumbass, I know for a fact.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Hakarne posted:

So this used to be a Steam game before Microsoft killed GFWL Marketplace so I'll ask here: Does anyone have weapons they would be willing to trade for Fable 3? It seems like the game got a lot of hate and I personally love it. Anyways, I need to trade with someone to get The Swinging Sword and/or Scythe's Warhammer. The community is kind of dead/non-existant so I'm hoping there's a goon somewhere with one or both of these weapons in an old save. Thanks!

After reading and laughing at your post I searched my library for Fable 3 and it turns out I've played it for 19 hours. Now I'm reinstalling it to see what made me play it for 19 hours. If I have either of those weapons I'll let you know. I have no memory of playing this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I saw Commandos was on sale right now for pretty cheap, does it work on modern systems? Anything else worth looking at on sale right now?

• Locked thread