Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i see that somehow more racist grim fandango game got its second episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
skellingtons aren't a race

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Al! posted:

i see that somehow more racist grim fandango game got its second episode

what game would that be

trying to think of a racist pun for grim fandango itt

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
grim mandingo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

at the date posted:

grim mandingo

...mods

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i played a game once that was japanese soccer, but the interface was like combat from a JRPG??? does this ring a bell to anyone?

it was too confusing because i dont know any japanese or soccer but it might be a fun idiot spare time project to copy it while i learn how to make games

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Corla Plankun posted:

i played a game once that was japanese soccer, but the interface was like combat from a JRPG??? does this ring a bell to anyone?

it was too confusing because i dont know any japanese or soccer but it might be a fun idiot spare time project to copy it while i learn how to make games

Inazuma 11 or something like that, i think they released some 3ds thing lately

e: some older one was captain tsubasa from snes days i think

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

you're thinking of blitzball

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Space-Pope posted:

reminder that there was a kickstarter for "tropes vs. men in gaming" started in response to anita

they took the kickstarter money and ran off with it

what kickstarter, that was a mega 64 parody thing

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Yodzilla posted:

what kickstarter, that was a mega 64 parody thing
there was an actual real not-parody thing on indiegogo from 4chan nerds, and they ran off with the money

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

at the date posted:

grim mandingo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

so i was playing elite: dangerous and just tootling around shipping small amounts of coffee and tea from a colony world to a space station like the noob i am, and i'm just about to launch, when suddenly there's this gigantic battle right outside the station airlock btween a player in a cargo hauler and the station security vs. a gang of npc pirates. the pirates shredded the hauler which exploded and dumped all its cargo out, then the pirates got cleaned up by the station's guns, leaving a big debris field and a bunch of cargo containers. i scanned them and they were full of GOLD and ROBOT PARTS! (expensive). almost instantly all the little ships that were hiding out from the battle started launching off the station with cargo scoops extended to try and grab all the salvage and bring it back to sell on the black market. after ramming some noobs out of the way and shooting one guy's engines dead when it looked like he was gonna beat me there i got 12 things of gold and sold em for 89,000 dollars.

emergent gameplay best gameplay

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 26, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Al! posted:

you're thinking of blitzball

iirc blitzball was so bad that gw got the company to remake it from the ground up and it became pretty good

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

so i was playing elite: dangerous and just tootling around shipping small amounts of coffee and tea from a colony world to a space station like the noob i am, and i'm just about to launch, when suddenly there's this gigantic battle right outside the station airlock btween a player in a cargo hauler and the station security vs. a gang of npc pirates. the pirates shredded the hauler which exploded and dumped all its cargo out, then the pirates got cleaned up by the station's guns, leaving a big debris field and a bunch of cargo containers. i scanned them and they were full of GOLD and ROBOT PARTS! (expensive). almost instantly all the little ships that were hiding out from the battle started launching off the station with cargo scoops extended to try and grab all the salvage and bring it back to sell on the black market. after ramming some noobs out of the way and shooting one guy's engines dead when it looked like he was gonna beat me there i got 12 things of gold and sold em for 89,000 dollars.

emergent gameplay best gameplay

it has the dark souls thing going on right?

also isn't it like 75 loving bucks

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

iirc blitzball was so bad that gw got the company to remake it from the ground up and it became pretty good

you're thinking of blood bowl. blitz ball is the lovely underwater soccer game in ffx

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Al! posted:

it has the dark souls thing going on right?

also isn't it like 75 loving bucks

what's the dark souls thing? it is pretty unforgiving, if that's what you mean, there are lots of stories in the games thread that are like "welp i just spent 400,000 credits on a long range hauler and forgot to enable the directional assist the first time i launched it and i crashed into the ceiling of the station and exploded and lost my ship and a million credits of cargo"

yeah

and yeah it's 75, i dunno, it's still in beta and that's only 15 more than full price of a normal game. worth it to me. game's less than 50% complete and already really poslished

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

did they price it like because of people getting mad about kickstarter

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

and yeah it's 75, i dunno, it's still in beta and that's only 15 more than full price of a normal game
games, bideo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Al! posted:

you're thinking of blood bowl. blitz ball is the lovely underwater soccer game in ffx

poo poo, yeah

bloodbowl loving rules, gently caress blitzball

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

did they price it like because of people getting mad about kickstarter

probably. or it's just to fleece idiots like me who want to play the game nooooowwwwww

it's still ten times more functional and a million times less of a scam than that other space game

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Routine Status: Not Done Yet :(

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so is the new elite a mmo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is there anything to stop people with lots of time
and ability from just pwning n00bs all day long and in that regard how does a noob get ahead

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

Routine Status: Not Done Yet :(

dang

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah it is an mmo but you can also play the entire thing single player if you want. it has 400 billion star systems.

if you don't want to get pwned at all the best thing to do is stay in the lawful systems. the game's name is "dangerous" after all -- if you want to feel safe then hang around where there's sector security. if you go into the anarchy systems you will get jumped by pirates sooner or later.

if that happens though you're usually ok as long as you know how to run (immediately start charging jump drive, divert all shields and weapons power to engines, disable piloting assist, hit the boost) or hide (boost to maximum speed, shut down all systems, close radiators, drift, and hope the guy gives up before you cook yourself to death with your own reactor waste heat)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it is a very nicely done game for something that won't be released for another four to six months

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

what's the dark souls thing? it is pretty unforgiving, if that's what you mean, there are lots of stories in the games thread that are like "welp i just spent 400,000 credits on a long range hauler and forgot to enable the directional assist the first time i launched it and i crashed into the ceiling of the station and exploded and lost my ship and a million credits of cargo"

yeah

and yeah it's 75, i dunno, it's still in beta and that's only 15 more than full price of a normal game. worth it to me. game's less than 50% complete and already really poslished

the dark souls thing in that players will just show up in your game randomly without it really being multiplayer

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no if you play single player it's really single player.

if you play multiplayer it's an mmo.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
tsubasa!!! that is exactly right.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

yeah it is an mmo but you can also play the entire thing single player if you want. it has 400 billion star systems.

if you don't want to get pwned at all the best thing to do is stay in the lawful systems. the game's name is "dangerous" after all -- if you want to feel safe then hang around where there's sector security. if you go into the anarchy systems you will get jumped by pirates sooner or later.

if that happens though you're usually ok as long as you know how to run (immediately start charging jump drive, divert all shields and weapons power to engines, disable piloting assist, hit the boost) or hide (boost to maximum speed, shut down all systems, close radiators, drift, and hope the guy gives up before you cook yourself to death with your own reactor waste heat)

how is this different from eve online

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

in eve online you don't actually fly your spaceship. you just click the target and the random number generator does all the rest. in elite your skills in the cockpit directly translate to how well you do.

if you played the old x-wing games, freespace, or wing commander (or the elites obviously) it will be very familiar

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

how is this different from eve online

trackir support

which is why I'll buy it when it comes down to a more reasonable price

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

in eve online you don't actually fly your spaceship. you just click the target and the random number generator does all the rest. in elite your skills in the cockpit directly translate to how well you do.

if you played the old x-wing games, freespace, or wing commander (or the elites obviously) it will be very familiar

ok that sounds p cool

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ok that sounds p cool

tie fighter ruled, kinda want elite dangerous now once it is a not dumb price

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
how is this different from freelancer

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
games

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

PleasingFungus posted:

how is this different from freelancer

it doesn't suck

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

killed flamelurker first try, going to kill dragon god tomorrow
gonna be weird to have an area clear but im glad to be done with this one because its poo poo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

cgs: playing tomb raider and it is fun

• Locked thread