Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is there a thread to discuss laptop bags and backpacks? I'm going to pick up my T440 from UPS this evening, but I still don't have a way to actually transport it around school...

edit: V thanks, I'll look into those.

Snak fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Snak posted:

Is there a thread to discuss laptop bags and backpacks? I'm going to pick up my T440 from UPS this evening, but I still don't have a way to actually transport it around school...
If you want a backpack with a laptop sleeve, I recommend any of the North Face ones. I have the Recon, which I've had for just over 8 years (bought it in summer 2006). I've used it non-stop since then and it's still holding on strong. I've been extremely impressed with the build quality of that thing. It'll probably run you $80-100 initially, but if you need something for the next several years, it's a good purchase. Much better than some cheap thing that won't last very long.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Captain Pike posted:

After extensive research, I have determined that there are currently only two laptops in the world with the following characteristics:

- i7 MQ CPU.
- Two real touchpad buttons.
- Screen with very good viewing angles and color reproduction.
- Screen with no higher than 1080p resolution.

1. Dell Business Precision M4800 15"
2. Alienware 14

I prefer a 14" screen, but I currently own an Alienware m14x. Walking into a business meeting as a 40-year-old holding a garish toy laptop with fake jet engines on it is an embarrassment I no longer wish to endure.

It's a noble effort to somehow know which parts you want your laptop to be made out of, but usually you end up limiting yourself to laptops that on the whole are something you don't like.

Isko
May 20, 2008
Well I think it is time to buy a new laptop. My current one is a Sager notebook I bought maybe 3 or more years ago. One of the screen hinges broke, the soundjack doesn't work properly, it gets pretty hot nowadays, and the battery lasts only 30 seconds. And of course a whole bunch of smaller problems. I don't even trust it to play games anymore. I figure, since I am going back to school, I want to get a new laptop that I can easily take with me. I now have a desktop gaming computer so this is really just to supplement it.

Budget: Under $1000, preferably closer to $850.

It needs to have

* Windows OS
* preferably a 13-14" screen
* an IPS screen of course
* a long battery life

I'll mostly be using it for web browsing, video watching, writing, and computer programming. Maybe some minor gaming but I have my desktop for the heavier stuff. I was interested in getting an ultrabook but it's not a priority. I was looking at the ThinkPad T440 and was liking it until I realized it had no hdmi port. Is there a reason ThinkPad's don't seem to have hdmi ports? I guess I could just get a cable that would work with it.

Isko fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 25, 2014

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Isko posted:

I was looking at the ThinkPad T440 and was liking it until I realized it had no hdmi port. Is there a reason ThinkPad's don't seem to have hdmi ports? I guess I could just get a cable that would work with it.

Business class machines like the T440 typically have DisplayPort or mini-DisplayPort instead of HDMI. It shouldn't be a deal breaker though as all you need is a cheap passive adapter.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

shrughes posted:

Thinkpad T440p, with i7-4700MQ (or better, that's the minimum quad core CPU option), 1920x1080 screen, Intel 2x2 wifi card. Maybe a 9-cell battery too.

Uhh... and you can do the SSD/hard drive thing somehow, maybe by buying the M.2 caching SSD yourself, or just by buying an M.2 SSD, or hey a 2.5" SSD. Or maybe you can preconfigure that again.

Looks like you can preconfigure it with the SSD too, price gets nutty rather quickly as you slot the better processors in there though. Nice to have it as an option though.

Isko
May 20, 2008

dissss posted:

Business class machines like the T440 typically have DisplayPort or mini-DisplayPort instead of HDMI. It shouldn't be a deal breaker though as all you need is a cheap passive adapter.

I think I've decided to go with the T440s. Seems like a good choice for me. Going to go a little over budget but I expect I will get my money's worth. I see some people complaining about the trackpad but I almost always use a mouse.

k-uno
Jun 20, 2004
I'm in the market for a thin and light laptop with a budget of around $2k, with a better than fHD screen, fast CPU and graphics card under 5 lbs, so I've come to you guys for advice. I've mostly ruled out the following machines, based on reviews around the Web:

Dell XPS 15 (coil whine-- why Dell, why can you not fix this problem-- CPU throttling, and I'd like a faster graphics card than a 750M)
Lenovo Y50 (CPU throttling, poor build quality, 5.3 lbs)
Asus NX500/GX500 (both look nice, but no idea when they'll be released)
Razer Blade 14 (8GB of ram is too little, expensive)

I currently have a Lenovo W520 that I bought on this thread's recommendation three years ago, and it's been an amazing machine, but it's showing its years and at >6 lbs not counting the power adapter, I'm getting sick of lugging it around. It also has the most godawful speakers I've ever heard in a laptop-- seriously, my wife's macbook air 11" is much louder and clearer, and I sometimes end up turning on subtitles in English language movies if the dialogue gets too quiet. I use it mainly for programming, physics simulations (Mathematica, C++), writing, and games from time to time, and I'll use the computer that replaces it for the same things. I travel a lot so light weight is important.

Having ruled out the above computers, as I see it I'm left with:

MSI GS60 Ghost 3k: Fast CPU, by far the fastest GPU, lightweight, but runs hot, has poo poo battery life and a goofy dragon logo on the lid I'd have to cover with electrical tape or black paint
Lenovo W540: Fast CPU, okay graphics card, reliable, quiet, but gets expensive and about a pound heavier than I'd like
Macbook Pro 15: Fast and well built, great battery life, mediocre graphics card, not really a fan of MacOS, most expensive thing on this list

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm leaning toward the MSI but could easily be talked into the Lenovo. I'd prefer to not have to buy upgrades separately as I may be able to expense the computer itself to work. For anyone that owns one, how are the W540 or MSI to live with on a daily basis?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Physics pretty much says you're not getting thin, light and awesome CPU/GPU. That heat has to be dealt with somehow and if not it'll throttle down to nothing.

k-uno
Jun 20, 2004

go3 posted:

Physics pretty much says you're not getting thin, light and awesome CPU/GPU. That heat has to be dealt with somehow and if not it'll throttle down to nothing.

That's not really true as far as I can tell-- while all of the machines I've listed will throttle under 100% CPU/100% GPU simultaneous workloads, a well designed system won't throttle at all (and in the case of the MSI/Lenovo/Macbook, maintain decent turbo boost speeds) for just 100% CPU calculations, and can still maintain good performance when both components are stressed. Granted the bottom of the machine can get pretty hot and the fans may be noisy, but those are issues I'm willing to live with if the computer is cool and quiet when just browsing the internet or editing text documents.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If the inside of the laptop were shaped like a shoebox that would be a realistic goal. Sadly consumers want laptops that have usable form factors.

Karmakazi
Dec 24, 2013
Well I played wirh the yoga pro 2 all weekend and decided to take it back to best buy today. With the other things I returned I payed a $70 difference and got the entry level 13' macbook pro with retina. 2.6ghz I5, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd. I'm still undecided if I made the right choice or not. So far I like the mac well enough, but it does seem slower downloading my music from the google cloud, a little slower loading web pages, but it does have more space from the start than the yoga.
I know next to nothing about the OS, and the keyboard shortcuts will take time to learn, also my roommate lol'd at me for buying it...
Never would have thought picking a laptop would be so freaking difficult. Thanks to everyone here though, you guys/girls are awesome.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

go3 posted:

Fan noise and maybe fan durability is what limits that. You can cool anything with enough fin surface area and airflow, if a shoebox would work too.

Oh and I'll just put here the idea of using a turbulent airflow to take better advantage of fin surface area, in case that hasn't been patented or isn't in common use yet.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Shopping for laptops sucks.

I think I've decided on this HP Envy:

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=5342018&pid=1219120915962&pcatId=abcat0502000

It seems like the best machine I can get for under $800. I'm driving an hour away to go look at it, as I haven't seen it in person yet. I reckon I'll swap out the drive for an SSD later but my computers are dead now so I need to be able to buy one today.

My requirements are:

1920x1080 screen
8gb ram
14"+ screen
Backlit keyboard

Bonuses:
Dedicated graphics
SSD
Numeric keypad
Touch screen
Cd/dvd burner

I don't really care about battery life or size / weight. I'll be using it for light gaming (minecraft) and basic office /web stuff.

aellisr
Oct 11, 2007

Alveolar fibrosis don't give a damn.
Can I get a goon opinion on:

This Y40 from Lenovo

It's the perfect size for what I was looking for and can handle some light gaming when I am out and about.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The battery is tiny and I'm guessing will run like 3 hours? The hard drive is slow as balls and would drive me nuts. I would just upgrade those two parts and it looks great.

aellisr
Oct 11, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

The battery is tiny and I'm guessing will run like 3 hours? The hard drive is slow as balls and would drive me nuts. I would just upgrade those two parts and it looks great.

From the reviews, the battery seems to be quite decent. And yeah, I will upgrade to an SSD once I get it. For a "work centric" portable machine that can handle some gaming, under a grand, it looked pretty nice to me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Y40 is goon approved. Use the :siren: link in the op

aellisr
Oct 11, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Y40 is goon approved. Use the :siren: link in the op

My apologies, glanced over the OP the other day and saw it was kind of dated :(

Probably going to pop on this then, with a 256 SSD installed it's still only 850.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
I'm still debating between the Y40 and Y50. I play WoW and that's it. That's the most taxing thing the laptop is going to see, but I want to play it on ultra @ 1920x1080. Is the 2gb Radeon 275 card going to be enough to do this? I'd bump the ram to 16gigs and add a samsung 850 pro 512gb ssd right after purchasing. The only real difference I see between the Y50 and Y40 are the size, dualcore to quad, and graphics card.

I'm currently running a Dell Studio 1558 (i5 M450, 6gb ram, Radeon 5470 1gb, OCZ 128 + 500 storage drive) and have to play on low @ around 30 fps.

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44

rivid posted:

Hey guys, I'm still ruing a Lenovo R61i I bought in 2008. As you can imagine, the thing can run like slug sometimes. It's got two gigs of ram and a 1.86 Ghz processor. According to the motherboard that's in it (specs here), I can upgrade to a 2.80 GHz processor, and 4 gigs of RAM. Well, 3 I suppose, because I can't support a 64-bit processor. Right? Anyways I would be able to get this stuff for less than forty dollars. What do you guys think? I think it beats $600 for a new laptop for the time being.

Just following up with you guys - I did the following setup and threw in a SSD too; the computer runs like brand new. Really happy with how it turned out.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

rivid posted:

Just following up with you guys - I did the following setup and threw in a SSD too; the computer runs like brand new. Really happy with how it turned out.

What did you add, exactly?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
This semester i'm rocking 4 classes that are pure writing. It is my hell, but thats another issue. I have a 2 hour gap between my classes every day, so i plan to be in the library writing so i would like something portable that is comfortable to do a lot of typing on, price being a major factor.

Things i need out of device.

As inexpensive as possible
Word Processing is number 1 priority
Netflix in bed is probably the most it would ever get taxed. Maybe angry birds or something

I'm looking at chromebooks. I was planning on using google docs for my papers anyways since i have don't have word on my home Imac, so having that compatibility seems pretty awesome, though i know any laptop could use docs/drive as well as a chromebook could.

Aka, for 190 bucks, would a chromebook be a good option, or should i try to spend a little more for a bottom of the line laptop. I read the OP so i realize build quality/value is not great here. I just have 0 experience with chromebooks and am wondering if it would be a worthwhile investment over a bottom of the line laptop.

Do chromebooks experience slowdown like regular computers after a year or two of ownership or are they more resistant to that due to the simplicity of its functions/cloud storage?

Crunkjuice fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 26, 2014

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I guess you need to figure out what is comfortable to you for typing on - personally I wouldn't want to type much on a C720 or similar but those keyboards don't bother everyone.

BTW I'd check out MS Office online - its actually really slick for a set of webapps

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Crunkjuice posted:

Aka, for 190 bucks, would a chromebook be a good option, or should i try to spend a little more for a bottom of the line laptop. I read the OP so i realize build quality/value is not great here. I just have 0 experience with chromebooks and am wondering if it would be a worthwhile investment over a bottom of the line laptop.

Do chromebooks experience slowdown like regular computers after a year or two of ownership or are they more resistant to that due to the simplicity of its functions/cloud storage?

You've got entirely the right idea. There are many chromebooks that have far better build quality and are a better experience overall than low-end laptops. If you can get away with a chromebook, do it.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Bought a Sager 8268-S about two weeks ago from Xotic and got it yesterday. No problems at all with Xotic or the laptop. I think the screen looks nice, although I'm not much of a stickler for screens. I definitely don't notice any flickering.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004

Yip Yips posted:

Bought a Sager 8268-S about two weeks ago from Xotic and got it yesterday. No problems at all with Xotic or the laptop. I think the screen looks nice, although I'm not much of a stickler for screens. I definitely don't notice any flickering.

How is the thickness / heat when playing games? The side pictures on Xotic make is look really huge.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Counting the feet it's almost exactly 5 cm at its thickest point with a closed lid. It's not particularly thin.

I haven't played any games on it yet. I got it mostly to edit on because I have long stretches of time away from my desktop where I would be doing nothing productive without it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Crunkjuice posted:

This semester i'm rocking 4 classes that are pure writing. It is my hell, but thats another issue. I have a 2 hour gap between my classes every day, so i plan to be in the library writing so i would like something portable that is comfortable to do a lot of typing on, price being a major factor.

Things i need out of device.

As inexpensive as possible
Word Processing is number 1 priority
Netflix in bed is probably the most it would ever get taxed. Maybe angry birds or something

I'm looking at chromebooks. I was planning on using google docs for my papers anyways since i have don't have word on my home Imac, so having that compatibility seems pretty awesome, though i know any laptop could use docs/drive as well as a chromebook could.

Try and nab a Dell Chromebook 11 if you can. The 2 gig ram version runs great, it has the best build quality of any Chromebook out there right now (besides the pixel, but...yeah) and the keyboard is comfortable, if not a bit mushy (still way better than the HP 14's or acer c720's though).

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Try and nab a Dell Chromebook 11 if you can. The 2 gig ram version runs great, it has the best build quality of any Chromebook out there right now (besides the pixel, but...yeah) and the keyboard is comfortable, if not a bit mushy (still way better than the HP 14's or acer c720's though).

What is up with these? I see they were on the market but not anymore really. There were 2 GB ram and 4 GB ram versions?

I played with the Acer c720 today at best buy for half an hour and actually really liked it and the Samsung 2. HP/Toshiba felt super cheap. I would pull the trigger on the dell Chromebook 11 tomorrow but i'd like the 4 GB version and I'm also very curious why they were pulled from the market by dell.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Yip Yips posted:

Counting the feet it's almost exactly 5 cm at its thickest point with a closed lid. It's not particularly thin.

I haven't played any games on it yet. I got it mostly to edit on because I have long stretches of time away from my desktop where I would be doing nothing productive without it.

Alright I installed Dota 2 on it and set it to spectate a game (most settings maxed with some random stuff like weather turned off). 15 minutes later and the keyboard is warm, the wrist rests and touchpad are completely cool, and the upper part between the keyboard and screen is definitely warm (but not hot). It's also on carpet in a warm room so it's in far from ideal conditions.

Yip Yips fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 27, 2014

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
So here's where I'm at. Lifelong Windows user in the market for a new laptop in the coming months. For some reason I've had this strong urge to get a 13" MacBook Pro Retina. Last I used OSX (at least I think it was X) was the iMacs in school back around 2005. I have no really strong reason to switch but I'm still considering. I like Windows 8 on my girlfriend's laptop and aside from an old beat-up iPad 2 that I use as my main computing device, I'm not tied into Apple's ecosystem at all.

My Windows choice is the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro or whatever its successor will be in a few months time. I really like using the iPad on the couch, propping it up on my knees or what have you, so the Yoga series really appeals to me on that basis. It's a strong pull but not a deal breaker. I REALLY hope the Y3P has 802.11 AC because the lack of it on the 2 drives me nuts. Battery life isn't as major of a concern because I'm not a mobile user but I'd still like ~6 hours at least.

My other main consideration is gaming. Hardcore gaming won't be a huge focus of this machine but I still have a sizable Steam library and I'd still like to have access to the games via Bootcamp. I dunno how game performance is affected by Bootcamp, but I don't really play new games. I mostly play Civilization 4/5, Age of Empires 2 HD, Mark of Ninja, CoD4, etc, and I don't see that changing any time soon. I realize that an MBP is going to outperform a Y2P in general but some older games not running well in bootcamp will factor into my decision.

Other than that, most of my usage is general media usage, writing, etc. Again, I don't have a specific reason for wanting to switch. Just for change. Anybody here made the switch to Mac recently? I actually have a friend at school who went the other way from MBA to Yoga 2 Pro and he swears by his decision.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Crunkjuice posted:

What is up with these? I see they were on the market but not anymore really. There were 2 GB ram and 4 GB ram versions?

I played with the Acer c720 today at best buy for half an hour and actually really liked it and the Samsung 2. HP/Toshiba felt super cheap. I would pull the trigger on the dell Chromebook 11 tomorrow but i'd like the 4 GB version and I'm also very curious why they were pulled from the market by dell.

4GB is only a consideration if you're installing Linux in my opinion. Chrome does fine with 2. The Acer c720 is an excellent laptop now that they've upgraded from the 710's HDD.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
It's worth noting that the c720 feels incredibly sturdy and very fast. I have the 32 gb SSD, 2gb RAM version that sold for 230 IIRC. Fantastic price for a fantastic machine, just be aware it's an internet and notetaking machine and nothing else. You usually don't need much more than that though, so it's a great way to save money and a great way to get a very good computer out of it.

Seriously it's sturdier and better made than my Lenovo y410p which tricked out was a solid $1,000 dollars more.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I recently started doing app development/game design, and have always done video editing, graphic design and gaming. My 3 year old Macbook Air was struggling, and I got tired of renting workstations. I also recently got a bonus at work, and figured what the hell.

I decided to order this laptop yesterday: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834198042&cm_re=fangbook-_-34-198-042-_-Product .

Between a 500 dollar rebate from work and the 450 dollars off, this felt like a good deal that would be hugely future-proofed. Where I could find reviews of it, it reviewed well. It looks like the RAM is expandable to 32 GB (though god knows when I'll need that), I can add a SSD if I feel the need, and the graphics card/processor certainly seem like they'll be enough for a while. Basically, I want to be able to do all the things I'm doing now for at least the next three years on this machine.

I couldn't find anything as powerful for a similar price, but I might not have been looking hard enough and would love some goon opinions before I decide whether or not to keep it.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

foutre posted:

I recently started doing app development/game design, and have always done video editing, graphic design and gaming. My 3 year old Macbook Air was struggling, and I got tired of renting workstations. I also recently got a bonus at work, and figured what the hell.

I decided to order this laptop yesterday: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834198042&cm_re=fangbook-_-34-198-042-_-Product .

Between a 500 dollar rebate from work and the 450 dollars off, this felt like a good deal that would be hugely future-proofed. Where I could find reviews of it, it reviewed well. It looks like the RAM is expandable to 32 GB (though god knows when I'll need that), I can add a SSD if I feel the need, and the graphics card/processor certainly seem like they'll be enough for a while. Basically, I want to be able to do all the things I'm doing now for at least the next three years on this machine.

I couldn't find anything as powerful for a similar price, but I might not have been looking hard enough and would love some goon opinions before I decide whether or not to keep it.

I think the biggest commentary is that is a 17" laptop and those typically defy conventional portability. Is there a reason you went >15"?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Crunkjuice posted:

I played with the Acer c720 today at best buy for half an hour and actually really liked it and the Samsung 2.
If you're OK with the 11" screen size and 1366x768 resolution I'd go with some variant of the C720. Or, if you can find it, I'd also take a look at the ASUS C200. Really, at the $200 mark you can use them for a year or two and upgrade after to whatever hardware is available then.

If you need a bigger (13") screen, the Chromebook 2 is great with its 1920x1080 resolution, but at $400 is double the price. The downside is that it uses a slower CPU than the Intel models, which, while I find it sufficient for my purposes (and am quite happy to have the higher resolution screen in exchange), others would probably prefer the Intel models. The only reason I wouldn't recommend the Chromebook 2 wholly is that the Tegra K1-based model (Acer's "Chromebook 13" I think is the name for it) is due out imminently and has a processor that's better enough on paper than the Samsung that I might wait for it at this point to see how it turns out in practice. Disappointingly, those are the only two models (aside from the Pixel) that have high resolution screens, which is kind of a bummer overall.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

4GB is only a consideration if you're installing Linux in my opinion.
I don't know about "only". Chrome uses a lot of memory. In general, web browsers are one of the most memory-intensive applications on a desktop, so that's not very surprising.

The way Chrome OS gets by with relatively-low memory devices is they use compressed RAM (zram) to stash away tabs you're not looking at until you switch back to them. It works well enough that if you only use a lot of tabs occasionally it's fine. But if you regularly have 10+ tabs open, the 4 GB really does help. Before I upgraded my Chromebox from 2 GB it was frequently swapping to zram, now it doesn't do it at all.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Dr. Video Games 0150 posted:

I think the biggest commentary is that is a 17" laptop and those typically defy conventional portability. Is there a reason you went >15"?

i actually thought about this for a while. I really like having the screen real estate, and most of the places that I would bring it have large desks for me to use. Also, I use a pseudo hiking backpack for class and life so it shouldn't be a big deal physically fitting it.

I think what really decided it for me is that I still have the Macbook Air for traditional "I need a portable computer" stuff, whereas this will serve as a desktop replacement (I move around a lot ad bringing a normal desktop just isn't feasible).

I'm glad the rest seems good though, I was hoping that'd be the case.

e: I'll report back once it arrives, and definitely get a feel for if it's just too big.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
How easy/possible is it to add 2gb of ram to any of the lower tier Chromebooks like the C720?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

joshtothemaxx posted:

How easy/possible is it to add 2gb of ram to any of the lower tier Chromebooks like the C720?

Not possible, it's built into the system board. You can get the C720-2848 that has 4GB, though.

The RAM is the 4 chips with the barcode sticker, the SSD is the blue board in the bottom right corner and IS upgradeable.