Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

what? i see a dog at his bowl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Robo Reagan posted:

Don't feel bad, I'm also apparently too stupid to see it.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Maxwell Adams posted:

aaaaaaahh

I thought it was a dog sig hieling.

oh god you butchered that so bad I had to google what you were talking about :v:

Robo Reagan posted:

You're all making me doubt myself now you scrubs. But minimalist loss.jpg has been done before

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

okay, i kind of see that now, i was looking for a silhouette of one of the panels not all four of them

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Fathis Munk posted:

You're all making me doubt myself now you scrubs. But minimalist loss.jpg has been done before

We're being gaslosted.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

VJeff posted:

We're being gaslosted.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Took me awhile to see it. I don't get how you guys could see that right away though although that comic isn't ingrained in my mind either.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 26, 2014

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5y3NQi_RAY

I knew that reminded me of something.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
she seems to have a lot of influence or some poo poo, how?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Ahundredbux posted:

buddies in the industry ?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
she's a gurl gamer.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

a gurl gamrr who has industry connections in all the right places (aka her vagina)

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Ahundredbux posted:

Hey, don't tell anybody but I did some modeling a few years back under a different name. I don't normally share these with people but I think I can trust you....

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Fathis Munk posted:

buddies in the industry ?

dunno why people wanna be friends with fatties, pity? ?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

davecrazy posted:

Hey, don't tell anybody but I did some modeling a few years back under a different name. I don't normally share these with people but I think I can trust you....

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

davecrazy posted:

Was it 3D modeling or wa... Ah, okay, I get it. Heh.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I thought that logo was a 'One in the Pink, 2 in the stink" joke. guess im retarded

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW

Paladinus posted:

Was it 3D modeling or wa... Ah, okay, I get it. Heh.

Hey man we all been there, here is 250 bucks to sit naked next to a woman for a hour to get painted by a nursing home.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

More hot nudes of zoe please

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

RockPaperShotgun have been deleting Quinn threads as they arise.

Leave nothing living, to spread the deadly net of knowledge.

quote:

strange headache

Depression Quest And How We Deal With Controversy As A Community

Apparently there doesn't seem to be a topic about this weird controversy that set the indie gaming scene ablaze. So apologies if this has been posted before already, but I thought that it was interesting talking about this since it touches a very serious issue about how, as an interconnected community, we gamers deal with controversy and how we perceive feminism in gaming today. An issue that seems to be very close to the heart of RPS.

I'm sorry for the wall of text, but it's a very complicated controversy that needs some explaining.

A good friend of mine who has been dealing with depression because he got mobbed out of his work due to his homosexual orientation recently started playing "Depression Quest", a game that is freely available on steam. Intrigued by the nature of this game an because I was a bit worried that my friend started playing a game with such a peculiar name, I did a little research and stumbled upon the blog of the creator, Zoe Quinn. I was promptly greeted by a very confusing blog entry called "Once again, I will not deal with terrorists."

At first I thought that the internet was throwing another tantrum because somebody dared making a text-based game about a very serious issue, similar to what happened to "gone home". But as I read further, the issue seemed to revolve around personal issues with a disgruntled ex-boyfriend.

Confused about why a game developer feels the need to publicly defend herself for what seem to be mostly private issues, I decided to dig a little deeper. A quick google search later, I immediately regretted doing so. Apparently the whole twitter sphere is arguing about this, including well known names such as Totalbiscuit, JonTron, Phil Fish, Stephen Totilo and RPS' very own Nathan Grayson.

Now I really don't want to go into personal and private details about what started this whole controversy. As with my personal friend, who was fired because of a very private matter that is and should not be of anyone's concern, I believe that matters of sexual nature do not belong in the public sphere. What you do beneath your very own blankets is your own problem and nobody has the right to judge your person except for the people involved.

What does concern me though is the manner how the gaming industry is dealing with this controversy. Social-media are fine and dandy, but have we all forgotten about the risks that are involved in publicly discussing personal matters? Youtube and especially twitter are open platforms accessible to everybody! I cannot fathom why so many public figures of the gaming industry and even gaming journalists feel the need to insult each other to the detriment of other people's private lives. I understand that the whole argument was started by a broken-hearted person, we all do stupid things when we are emotionally injured, but why do public figures, that represent our gaming community, feel the need to escalate things even further by publicly throwing insults and slinging mud at each other over a public platform? I expected more professionalism.

Secondly, I am truly worried that important issues on gender-equality are forced to take a step back, adding fuel to the raging flames sparked by those who do not see the need in equal rights for every human being. As a humanist I couldn't care less about the particular interests of feminism and masculism, since gander-equality cannot be resolved in conflict but in the insight that we are all human beings entitled to equal rights. Defining opposite genders or sexual orientations as the scape-goat does very little to further the cause. It will only result in people getting angry and closing their ears because they feel personally insulted.

What really rubs me the wrong way though are people seeking personal (and/or) financial gains by claiming to be a public representative of a cause that is important to so many people. Even worse are people preaching one thing to the masses while practicing another. Integrity is an important thing if you don't want to harm the very cause you seek to publicly represent! It only helps to further cement prejudice. It is the reason why politics and most religions are finding themselves in such a desolate state. But I don't want to make the discussion even more complicated than it is already, so I won't delve into that now.

Furthermore, if you truly care about your cause, you do not lose your main principle or goal out of sight. You certainly do not compete with similar causes only because they differ in minor details. And most of all, you do not try to sabotage said causes only because they do not fall in line with your own narrow definitions. In the same way, you do not denigrate similar causes only to promote your own due to the very selfish desire to remain at the center stage of said cause.

The Fine Young Capitalists is an indie game jam seeking to promote women making video games for charity. As stated by the organizers themselves, Zoe Quinn tried to boycott their cause over the definition of what qualifies as a woman and is therefore able to participate. In the same breath Quinn promoted her own feminist game jam, accepting donations for a cause that has yet to be defined. What is even worse is that the donations seem to flow directly into Quinn's personal paypal account. I guess it's even the same paypal account that feeds into her patreon since paypal seems to be the preferred patreon payment method.

Lastly I am worried about the tight connections between indie game developers, promoters and game journalists. It is a well known fact that game reviews cannot be, by human nature, absolutely objective. But if a game is being promoted or awarded, I'd like to know about existing relationships. For the same reason that I do not trust studies on environmental issues published by big oil companies, I do not wish to see games awarded or promoted by close friends of said developer. Depression Quest was one of many games IndieCade included at their 2013 festival as part of their "Night Games" selections. One of the jury members was Robin Arnott, with whom Quinn had an intimate relationship. The game was greenlit on steam after a second attempt a couple of months after the game received the Indiecade award.

I know that the indie game scene is quite small and that everybody knows everybody else, but what is true for most domains is also true for indie games: don't mix professional and personal relationships!

Finally one must admit that with great representability comes great responsibility. If you want to act as a public figure you need to hold yourself to higher standards otherwise you should not complain to find yourself amidst a massive social-media shitstorm.

Maybe it is time that we take our responsibilities as a community and carefully choose who we want to actually represent us. I know it is a tedious thought process and certainly not an easy decision to make, but at least we avoid personal harm to those unfit to do so. I am truly sorry for Quinn in the way that we as a community deal with this on twitter and other internet-platforms. If the private and personal backlash is certainly unwarranted for and the result of a rage filled minority, certain consequences are defined by your own actions.

theclockworkrat

There have been threads. They've disappeared.

strange headache

Really? I was not aware of that. Why did they disappear?

Kadayi

Deleted by the Hivemind. The subject is verboten apparently.

Drake Sigar

Shhh, you'll all disappear.

Jesus_Phish

I feel bad that you spent so long typing all that up and now it's going to get locked or more likely deleted before the morning.

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW

sebmojo posted:

RockPaperShotgun have been deleting Quinn threads as they arise.

Leave nothing living, to spread the deadly net of knowledge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGXcq7Q4fa0

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Ahundredbux posted:

more incest than a paki goatherder clan moving and perfectly integrating into the deep south

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

horriblePencilist posted:

Zoe "Idunwannajob" Quinn

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

Page 131 reminder this waste of oxygen has begged the internet to send her money for a most likely mythological mugging, a new laptop so she could "program better" (a pentium 133 could handle all her 'games') and eventually realized how easy it was begging for poo poo so now has a patreon account just to continue existing without even pretending to make 'games' anymore.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Ex's Ama is up now

http://np.reddit.com/r/Drama/comments/2ekx0e/im_zoe_quinns_ex_ama/

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Unban Zoe's ex so we can have more fun, TIA

http://np.reddit.com/r/Drama/comments/2ekx0e/im_zoe_quinns_ex_ama/ck0hm6t

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

quote:

Btw, something awful banned me within an hour of making that thread. And deleted the thread. But NOW they have a 900 post thread discussing the thread which they deleted and banned me for.

So like, I think they should totally unban me.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
http://dk.reddit.com/r/ZKConspiracy/comments/2ehkm4/rgames_mod_removed_and_banned_for_being_source_of/

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009

The Brown Menace posted:

so this is one suggestion /pol/ came up with for the logo of the game TYFC will make

once you see it...

I thought the rectangles represented 5 guys, one rectangle laying down getting a train ran on her, and the half rectangle representing the boyfriend (since he got cuckolded).

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW

Lifepuzzler posted:

I thought the rectangles represented 5 guys, one rectangle laying down getting a train ran on her, and the half rectangle representing the boyfriend (since he got cuckolded).

It looks like the spynx or a dog laying down to me. the white space looks like a dude who lost his finger to a circular saw.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009
Mods are fags

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Design Spots posted:

It looks like the spynx or a dog laying down to me. the white space looks like a dude who lost his finger to a circular saw.

Well, i feel a bit better about not knowing wtf this is

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
now I'm seeing half a girls face.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Lifepuzzler posted:

It's weird I saw exactly the same thing.

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

What's this poo poo about her real name being Chelsea Van Valkenburg and magically appearing in 2010 to cash in as a GAMER GURL? Conspiracy poo poo or legit?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Zoey Quinn does sound like a pseudonym.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Is he banned or permabanned.

In the case of the latter, unban him. In the case for the former, let's crowdfund this poo poo. :homebrew:

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Vag Assault Weapon posted:

What's this poo poo about her real name being Chelsea Van Valkenburg and magically appearing in 2010 to cash in as a GAMER GURL? Conspiracy poo poo or legit?

She couldn't bring herself to bring shame on her noble ancestry?

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
does that mean lowtax was guy number 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

VJeff posted:

Is he banned or permabanned.

In the case of the latter, unban him. In the case for the former, let's crowdfund this poo poo. :homebrew:

Just a regular ban for making a random game thread with no real merit and a link to his story. If he'd posted the thread in a better way he wouldn't have been banned but now he's trying to insinuate SA mods were part of the shadow conspiracy.

Her name is dumb and could be fake and it also explains why she needs help to make a 'game' that rivals the work required to make a lovely geocities site

• Locked thread