Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
All the fridge talk is odd to say the least. Some people are saying "it's only $1000" and others saying "It's less than normal ownership costs."

Both are odd.

It's $1000. That's a lot of god drat money. Fridges don't last 20 years anymore. Buying a used 10-year old fridge for $200 is the same as forcing me to buy a fridge in a year when that one dies. It's pointless. A decent fridge is about $1000, and I wouldn't settle for $200 either. It's technically a working fridge, yes, but it's also a "going to die soon and make you shell out money you wouldn't normally need to" fridge.

If being terrible with money and saying "oh just take the $200 piece of poo poo fridge they are going to give you" counts as normal cost of ownership then I don't even know what to say.

Hint: They wont get a $200 fridge. They will go to the junkyard and get one that runs enough to pass inspection for $25 and call it good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
When I bought, my agent told me a story about a seller who agreed to buy a new fridge. That was the only stipulation, so they went to Wal-Mart and bought the cheapest, smallest dorm room fridge they could.

My contract had serial numbers of the appliances that were staying in the house.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Spermy Smurf posted:

All the fridge talk is odd to say the least. Some people are saying "it's only $1000" and others saying "It's less than normal ownership costs."

Both are odd.

It's $1000. That's a lot of god drat money. Fridges don't last 20 years anymore. Buying a used 10-year old fridge for $200 is the same as forcing me to buy a fridge in a year when that one dies. It's pointless. A decent fridge is about $1000, and I wouldn't settle for $200 either. It's technically a working fridge, yes, but it's also a "going to die soon and make you shell out money you wouldn't normally need to" fridge.

If being terrible with money and saying "oh just take the $200 piece of poo poo fridge they are going to give you" counts as normal cost of ownership then I don't even know what to say.

Hint: They wont get a $200 fridge. They will go to the junkyard and get one that runs enough to pass inspection for $25 and call it good.

Exactly this. I didn't think I was being obtuse by asking for cash for a new fridge vs "whatever they want to get".

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The contents of my fridge are probably worth more than the fridge itself.

I try to do whatever maintenance and superstitions necessary to appease the anger of the appliance gods so that I don't have to shell out for new ones. My A/C is original to the house (12 years old), and is on the far end of the expected service life. It's a matter of time before it dies, and I'm really not looking forward to that.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Jastiger posted:

Exactly this. I didn't think I was being obtuse by asking for cash for a new fridge vs "whatever they want to get".

I almost made a small fuss over a tacked on first-time-showing-up-in-any-of-the-paperwork charge for propane left in the tank that was being sold to me at a much higher price than I would be buying it at from the coop that fills the tank, and the price difference was only about $45. While I decided to let it go because the sellers had been really cool about everything else, money is money and that $40 would have bought a couple really good ribeyes. Yeah, drop in the bucket, but in that case please give me 1% of your salary - it's only a drop in the bucket. (I mean the other guy, not you)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

My A/C is original to the house (12 years old), and is on the far end of the expected service life. It's a matter of time before it dies, and I'm really not looking forward to that.

The A/C and hot water heater in the house I just bought are both over 20 years old :v:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Welp, there goes our application. Since I was a stay at home dad last year, that is a lapse of employment. So, now after we've done the radon testing, got the inspection, negotiating with the sellers....my loan fell through. The VA won't back the loan since I have that lapse. So glad that this was handled well.

God fuckin' dammit.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
That sucks, but you've learned an important lesson: get your loan pre-approved first (including ironing out any little wrinkles like that lapse in employment), then go house shopping.

At least you didn't put down any earnest money!

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 25, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

That's a bummer, but there are other houses in the world. Maybe your next house won't have science fiction gases trying to kill you!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Welp, there goes our application. Since I was a stay at home dad last year, that is a lapse of employment. So, now after we've done the radon testing, got the inspection, negotiating with the sellers....my loan fell through. The VA won't back the loan since I have that lapse. So glad that this was handled well.

God fuckin' dammit.

Is a VA loan the only financing you could possibly get? Are you working with a mortgage broker, or just directly with the VA?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Spend another year renting, save 20% down. You'll be in a lot better position to buy a house then.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Engineer Lenk posted:

Spend another year renting, save 20% down. You'll be in a lot better position to buy a house then.

The entire reason was that renting was more expensive than owning for us. It'll be a slog at this point.

Leperflesh posted:

Is a VA loan the only financing you could possibly get? Are you working with a mortgage broker, or just directly with the VA?

Its the only one that makes sense for us. It sounds like we can get an FHA loan no problem, its just a question of whether we can afford the PMI and forgoing the other breaks we got on the VA loan.

a shameful boehner posted:

That sucks, but you've learned an important lesson: get your loan pre-approved first (including ironing out any little wrinkles like that lapse in employment), then go house shopping.

At least you didn't put down any earnest money!

$500 was down in Earnest money, and the lender told me I was 100% pre approved. It wasn't until his UW called and askeda bout the lapse of coverage.

I dunno, he's trying to salvage it. Depression and anxiety mode activated.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Jastiger posted:

The entire reason was that renting was more expensive than owning for us. It'll be a slog at this point.

Its the only one that makes sense for us. It sounds like we can get an FHA loan no problem, its just a question of whether we can afford the PMI and forgoing the other breaks we got on the VA loan.

$500 was down in Earnest money, and the lender told me I was 100% pre approved. It wasn't until his UW called and askeda bout the lapse of coverage.

I dunno, he's trying to salvage it. Depression and anxiety mode activated.

The same thing also almost happened to us. They were concerned that I hadn't had a real job (apparently contract/consulting for your wife's non-profit doesn't count?!) since 2010. I told them I was in school off and on and they just put down student for the whole time. No more questions after that. They did ask me how much my minimum payment was for my student loans, I told them they were deferred because I am still in school (back in school) but the underwriter wanted it anyways. 10 emails back and forth before the underwriter understood how student loans work.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Can I split hairs here and say that you don't know that for sure?
Maybe renting is $200/month more expensive, but a month into your newly purchased home your furnace croaks and you're out $4000.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

canyoneer posted:

Can I split hairs here and say that you don't know that for sure?
Maybe renting is $200/month more expensive, but a month into your newly purchased home your furnace croaks and you're out $4000.

Absolutely true. I had built into our budget an extra $200 a month in assorted repairs that would go into the home-fix budget. Since our mortgage was literally half our monthly paymnet, we'd have no PMI, I work for an insurance company, so I only pay like $40 a month in insurance, and taxes are the most expensive "extra" at $292....we'd be able to set aside that extra money and STILL come out ahead.

The cost of living here is actually pretty reasonable, its just finding good, decent rental property that doesn't make my family sick through their dated AC unit is super pricey.

Also new home warranty was included in the purchase :3:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Jastiger posted:

God fuckin' dammit.

You're an insurance agent right? Are you self employed? Otherwise I do equity but the Qualified Mortgage guidelines are pretty much the same and you should show documentation showing stable employment prior to that for 2 years and explain the time off was to care for children. If you're self employed you are pretty much boned if you have less than two tax years.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jastiger posted:

Yes, because of the second paragraph. I'd rather spend money on the emergency poo poo than have to worry about paying for a new unexpected REQUIRED repairs instead of on a new fridge that was part of the original purchase agreement.

A drop in the bucket is different when you have to pay cash for it RIGHT NOW (can't really live in a house without a fridge, sorry, mang) vs being able to hold off on new insulation or getting the termite guy out in a few weeks.

this is a completely valid point and I agree with you on this point as it stands

but a lot of your other posts have indicated financial distress or concern about minor monetary details relating to your purchase which make me wring my hands and go 'oh man I hope forums user "jastiger" knows what he is getting himself in to'... :ohdear:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

therobit posted:

You're an insurance agent right? Are you self employed? Otherwise I do equity but the Qualified Mortgage guidelines are pretty much the same and you should show documentation showing stable employment prior to that for 2 years and explain the time off was to care for children. If you're self employed you are pretty much boned if you have less than two tax years.

It was because I was a stay at home dad for the first 9 months of my daughter's life. That is an employment lapse, so the VA is flipping out about that. Once January hits I'll have 1 year of employment, so we're trying to sneak in under the radar since I'll literally be making two payments before the anniversary.

Otherwise the lender dude is like "Lets go FHA, pay two payments, than refinance to a VA" and......I dunno about that. That sounds super risky and expensive.

mindphlux posted:

this is a completely valid point and I agree with you on this point as it stands

but a lot of your other posts have indicated financial distress or concern about minor monetary details relating to your purchase which make me wring my hands and go 'oh man I hope forums user "jastiger" knows what he is getting himself in to'... :ohdear:

I hear ya. We can afford the place as is, and once my wife is working 100% full time, it'll be gravy since nearly her entire pay check can go to all debt, emergency funds, and savings.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The title company has all the final paperwork and I close Thursday. What have I done? :ohdear:

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I'm also closing on Thursday!

It's a rental property and the day I don't have nausea and anxiety the week before a close is the day I get the gently caress out if that business.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Nothing like going to put an offer in on a cheap bank-owned house (that needed a lot of work) and finding out there was a previous buyer with a home inspection report that found rot in the main beams (which were like solid-wood 4"x16"x30' and exposed). The bank dicked around the prior prospective buyer from May to August without approving the repairs, at which point they walked away and it was back on the market.

We weren't interested in getting involved in that mess.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

We've been in the house for almost two months now, and just when things were getting to be a little normal, the water heater starts leaking (maybe as a result of an earthquake? probably not). Thankfully, our realtor got us a home warranty, so we aren't paying anything for it, but we have both had to shower at work this entire week while waiting for a new one.

Why did we buy a house again? Our dogs don't even use our backyard!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

REO bank finally managed got back to us, electricity will be on tomorrow, and thus begins our home inspection contingency period. If things go well there, then we just need a survey and an assessment. Totally doable in the next few weeks, right?

There's still a small matter with the title, where the lending bank's attorney failed to file a state-mandated affirmation at the time that the foreclosure paperwork was filed, but apparently we can still get title insurance if the affirmation gets filed soon. This issue might sink the whole purchase, in which case I'm only out a couple thousand for all of the inspections.

Would it be worth having an attorney take a look at the preliminary title binder?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Officially a homeowner!

In all seriousness, the process was pretty smooth and painless once I found a house I didn't get outbid on. So basically, make good money, have good credit, buy less house than you can afford and you can be just like me!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

fknlo posted:

Officially a homeowner!

In all seriousness, the process was pretty smooth and painless once I found a house I didn't get outbid on. So basically, make good money, have good credit, buy less house than you can afford and you can be just like me!

Congratulations :)

Now, be prepared to grimace at spending $2-3,000 furnishing, painting, buying a lawnmower, and performing the repairs noted in the inspection.

Still 1000x better than apartment living.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

a shameful boehner posted:

Congratulations :)

Now, be prepared to grimace at spending $2-3,000 furnishing, painting, buying a lawnmower, and performing the repairs noted in the inspection.

Still 1000x better than apartment living.

Already bought my mower! Gonna need to spend way more than that on furnishing and repairs. Going from an 800 square foot 1 bedroom apartment to a 2400 square foot house with 2 living rooms, 2 dining rooms and 3 bedrooms. So much poo poo to buy. Also needs some pretty immediate stucco repair. Yay!

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

fknlo posted:

Already bought my mower! Gonna need to spend way more than that on furnishing and repairs. Going from an 800 square foot 1 bedroom apartment to a 2400 square foot house with 2 living rooms, 2 dining rooms and 3 bedrooms. So much poo poo to buy. Also needs some pretty immediate stucco repair. Yay!

Don't do what we did and spend $20,000 on furniture.

(Or do because our furniture is loving awesome and will last us many decades while remaining timeless in style.)

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Rurutia posted:

timeless in style

Yeah, sure. Pics please :v:

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

slap me silly posted:

Yeah, sure. Pics please :v:

Fine. Timeless in my tastes. We didn't have a proper bed or desks or anything before this so this includes outfitting a dining room, living room, 2 bedrooms, kitchen (bar stools/table), and a dual office/library from scratch. I'm at work so I only have a couple pictures in my files.

We definitely splurged on quality. Everything is real leather (including the cream bed frame). The dining room base is a special kind of steel. The dining room set by itself was $6000, which I honestly don't regret. The metal doesn't rust, doesn't catch fingerprints, and they're the most comfortable dining chairs I've ever sat in.

Anyways, I feel like the pieces we really splurged on are ones that you can update with just updating the decor in the rest of the room.

Guest Room

Living Room

Dining Room

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 28, 2014

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
$6,000? Jeebus. I thought I was splurging with a $1k dining table. Which has $20 Ikea chairs (that are literally falling apart) around it because I haven't been willing to face the cost of good chairs yet (the one we've seen and liked so far was $200 per chair).

On the other hand, I'm about to sign for a $23,000 HVAC upgrade.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Zhentar posted:

$6,000? Jeebus. I thought I was splurging with a $1k dining table. Which has $20 Ikea chairs (that are literally falling apart) around it because I haven't been willing to face the cost of good chairs yet (the one we've seen and liked so far was $200 per chair).

On the other hand, I'm about to sign for a $23,000 HVAC upgrade.

Yeah, our original budget was around $1000 for a dining table. I can't really defend spending as much as we did, except we agonized about it for ages and after a year of purchasing, we don't regret it at all.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Rurutia posted:

Yeah, our original budget was around $1000 for a dining table. I can't really defend spending as much as we did, except we agonized about it for ages and after a year of purchasing, we don't regret it at all.

That's pretty much the determining factor though. If you have the resources, why not drop 6 grand on a table you really like and are going to eat at every loving day. My personal feelings about glass tables are irrelevant here so I won't mention them :)

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I hate North Dakota. Spent all summer trying to find a listing I like, saw one today and called the agent. It was listed last night and someone has already made the full price offer. Do people even look at the houses they are buying any more??

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They may have seen it before it was listed. There are a lot of connections in real estate and sometimes having the right agent means seeing stuff before it hits the market.

Or it could just be a cash offer from an investor who is buying a dozen properties in your area and doesn't give a poo poo about whether the crown molding matches his furniture.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
If someone is looking at property near railroad tracks, how can he find out what kind of schedule the trains run on and if it's passenger or freight?

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Stultus Maximus posted:

If someone is looking at property near railroad tracks, how can he find out what kind of schedule the trains run on and if it's passenger or freight?

Your best bet is to politely catch a neighbor leaving for/arriving from work, and ask them. Ask what else sucks/is great about the area while you're at it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
As awful as it sounds, local railfans/train spotters may have the best idea, other than the actual railroad companies.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Stultus Maximus posted:

I hooked this recently and found an answer, but forgot how. Some federal agency has train/cars a day info on each crossing, so find where the tracks cross a road and look at that info.

Super helpful post, I know.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

gvibes posted:

I hooked this recently and found an answer, but forgot how. Some federal agency has train/cars a day info on each crossing, so find where the tracks cross a road and look at that info.

Super helpful post, I know.

Well, my friend was just looking at the iPhone video he shot when looking at the place and discovered that a train was going by while he was there so clearly it's not very noticeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I spent about $5300 (about $4000 USD) setting up my house after moving from an apartment. For that I got a couple of second hand leather couches (minor marks on one and some wear on the other), a glass dining table (6 seater with only 4 seats), reclaimed timber entertainment unit, set of drawers, B&D edge trimmer, a mitsubishi fridge with ice maker, samsung washing machine, and last years model of a 55" 3D LED TV. Second hand or discounted furniture is good, and buying clearance stock for electrical goods works well. The fridge has a couple of minor dents in one side that you can barely see, and the tv was a display model. The display models for that tv were in poor condition in most stores but each store had one so I went around each store until I found one with a screen that wasn't scratched or scuffed.