Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Are my posts invisible or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Woops I just posted before reading the other stuff.

That's some funny rules though, I live in a place where we DO get actual snow and lots of mountain highways (BC) and winter tires are fine.

I stand by saying outbacks are friggin gross though.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Saw a new V60 R-design on the road today. It's a sharp looking wagon, so i was really disappointed when I found out it was only available in auto. 'Merica can't have nice things.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

priznat posted:

Woops I just posted before reading the other stuff.

That's some funny rules though, I live in a place where we DO get actual snow and lots of mountain highways (BC) and winter tires are fine.

I stand by saying outbacks are friggin gross though.

Yeah, it is really frustrating. But when we aren't having a drought, California does get real snow (ski areas around Tahoe average around 400 inches a season), and there are a lot of people who drive up from the SF Bay Area who have no clue what the hell they are doing driving in rain, let alone snow.

It's tough, I have dogs so I refuse to buy sedans, I refuse to buy 2wd for the above reasons, and I hate CUVs. Had a JSW for a long commute, but swapped it with a WRX hatch before it was too late and after I quit that job. Shame nobody offers an inexpensive AWD wagon that I can think of anymore.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Steve French posted:

Yeah, it is really frustrating. But when we aren't having a drought, California does get real snow (ski areas around Tahoe average around 400 inches a season), and there are a lot of people who drive up from the SF Bay Area who have no clue what the hell they are doing driving in rain, let alone snow.

It's tough, I have dogs so I refuse to buy sedans, I refuse to buy 2wd for the above reasons, and I hate CUVs. Had a JSW for a long commute, but swapped it with a WRX hatch before it was too late and after I quit that job. Shame nobody offers an inexpensive AWD wagon that I can think of anymore.

If VW wants to capitalize on no WRX/STI wagon they'll put out that 4Motion Golf Sportwagen they teased.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
^ or that Golf R Wagon that's been spotted around, I lust after it hard.

Nohearum posted:

Saw a new V60 R-design on the road today. It's a sharp looking wagon, so i was really disappointed when I found out it was only available in auto. 'Merica can't have nice things.

They are pretty excellent cars all things considered, but the auto-only is indeed the killer for us. We've decided to wait until the new Sportwagens come to the USA in 2015 and if they finally do the AWD version. If so we're totally going to buy a manual diesel wagon, maybe in brown even. :getin:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Still, AWD people have an easier time finding a wagon than RWD folks :sigh:

Are there any being made now that the CTS wagon is gone? BMW 3 series wagon is AWD only (in Canada, anyway).

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Bovril Delight posted:

If you're considering a newer Outback you might as well look at some of the small SUVs.

Yeah but this is the wagon thread mother fucker! Wagon recommendations only.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Steve French posted:

It also really isn't practical to have snow tires when you're driving from someplace warm to someplace cold.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Last night I test drove the Outback and the Jetta Sportwagen. Outback was huge, ugly, and unexciting. I liked the VW though.

KakerMix posted:

We've decided to wait until the new Sportwagens come to the USA in 2015 and if they finally do the AWD version. If so we're totally going to buy a manual diesel wagon, maybe in brown even. :getin:

So the 2015 might be AWD? That could be worth waiting for. Is that model year 2015 or calendar year 2015?

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
edit: oops

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

My 2004 WRX Wagon.

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

priznat posted:

Still, AWD people have an easier time finding a wagon than RWD folks :sigh:

Are there any being made now that the CTS wagon is gone? BMW 3 series wagon is AWD only (in Canada, anyway).

Dang you're right. The MBs are all 4matic, BMWs all xDrive. I was having a good day, and now I'm a bit depressed.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dopo posted:

Last night I test drove the Outback and the Jetta Sportwagen. Outback was huge, ugly, and unexciting. I liked the VW though.

So the 2015 might be AWD? That could be worth waiting for. Is that model year 2015 or calendar year 2015?

Maybe. Nothing is for certain, but I wouldn't bet on it being a 2015 model or in 2015.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

JudgeJoeBrown posted:

My 2004 WRX Wagon.

Nice!

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I finally got a decent pic of my V70R:

SGNL06
May 6, 2004

They're goin' home! They're goin' home!
Went camping for a night and decided to be too lazy to set up a tent

Im 6'2" and the length was just about perfect. With my head almost on the passenger seat, I had to really stretch to reach the tailgate with my feet. Nothing better than a tent with a stereo and built in bear protection system!

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

SGNL06 posted:

Im 6'2" and the length was just about perfect. With my head almost on the passenger seat, I had to really stretch to reach the tailgate with my feet. Nothing better than a tent with a stereo and built in bear protection system!

I looked up your post from when you got your magnum and saw that you dropped it a couple inches and I think it looks great. What exactly did you do for the drop? Do you have any pictures of how much clearance there is inside the wheel well? How did it affect ride and handling? How has it held up over the last couple years? That should be enough questions for now. God I wish they still made the magnum...

SGNL06
May 6, 2004

Modus Man posted:

I looked up your post from when you got your magnum and saw that you dropped it a couple inches and I think it looks great. What exactly did you do for the drop? Do you have any pictures of how much clearance there is inside the wheel well? How did it affect ride and handling? How has it held up over the last couple years? That should be enough questions for now. God I wish they still made the magnum...

I got fully adjustable BC racing coilovers, and they've been great. Height adjustment goes from slightly below stock to pretty much midpipes-on-the-ground low. All four shocks have 30 "clicks" of damping firmness, and don't quote me on this but I think the softest setting is pretty close to the stock ride. The issues you may run into are too much negative rear camber if you go too low; mine isn't even that low and I'm a bit outside spec. I did buy some offset upper control arm bushings to correct it, but I'm planning on raising it back up for the winter. The snow/ice ruts here just trash the belly pan, and sooner or later I'll get stuck somewhere even with AWD and snow tires. The other issue is front CV boots ripping prematurely. My driver's side inner ripped ages ago, I just replaced the axle and discovered the outer had gone as well.

I don't have any close-ups of the wheel well, but here's how it sits on 20" wheels with 255/45 tires, which are about 0.5" bigger in diameter than stock:

I've seen lots of LXs way lower and/or with 22s on various forums so there's a good bit of room left.

The front belly pan does scrape if I'm not careful about where I'm driving, any lower and I'd be breaking poo poo. Construction zones with raised manhole covers are like minefields, but I'm sure anyone with a lowered car knows all about that...

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

SGNL06 posted:

Where did you get that subwoofer box? Was it custom?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I couldn't help myself.

Cheaper than a set of snow tires and wheels for the -V. Now I have an airport/snow/dog car that also frees me up to have transportation while the -V is under surgery. :devil:

With that said, I want to swap/turbo this thing as well. Looks like a lot of the RT4WD guys go with a D16Z6 (or ZC?) and then drop boost on them; if I wanted to aim for 200whp I don't need anything crazy though, right? Anyone have any kit recommendations? Get to start the wagovan learnings anew... Had another '91 2WD years ago but have forgotten everything.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Now I'm really jealous of your car collection, Tremek. :(

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I was behind a white V60 for a bit when going for lunch today, yup I'll have one of those. Great looking car. If only it was RWD!

SGNL06
May 6, 2004

Mighty Horse posted:

Where did you get that subwoofer box? Was it custom?

It's an MTX thunderform that cost far too much money, but it's really the only choice for a sub without loving up my cargo area. I could have looked up some tutorials and made one but...meh

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

After 3 months of waiting and a generous donation to BMW, my wife and I have joined the wagon club with our shiny new 328d. I regret that it could not be had with a manual transmission, but many months of testing on my GTI showed that my wife was not likely to learn manual any time in the near future.

It's a really nice car, and it checks all the mandatory boxes: AWD, diesel, wagon

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

chutwig posted:

After 3 months of waiting and a generous donation to BMW, my wife and I have joined the wagon club with our shiny new 328d. I regret that it could not be had with a manual transmission, but many months of testing on my GTI showed that my wife was not likely to learn manual any time in the near future.

It's a really nice car, and it checks all the mandatory boxes: AWD, diesel, wagon

Looks awesome! I like the front end of this generation, very slick.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

It's like a promotional shot for Biggest Loser: BMW Edition! Your wagon is the fit personal trainer surrounded by contestants who have an intimate relationship with cake.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

chutwig posted:

Maybe I'm just wrong, but after a year of owning my tdi Sportwagen there is no way in hell I'd want to row through the gears on a diesel. Let the DSG do it's thing.

Congrats on the wagon!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

chutwig posted:

Congratulations - this specific model led me to looking at Alpina D3 Tourings and now I'm trying to figure out which organs I can live without.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

chutwig posted:

Wow that's beautiful. Would you mind sharing your detailed build. That color is looking good in the sun.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

savesthedayrocks posted:

Maybe I'm just wrong, but after a year of owning my tdi Sportwagen there is no way in hell I'd want to row through the gears on a diesel. Let the DSG do it's thing.

Congrats on the wagon!

I certainly don't mind decent automatics, even slushboxes if they're set up right.

But there's just something so satisfying about throwing the stick into the next gear, feeding in the clutch and gas and then feeling that surge as you get fully on the gas. I know it's slower, but it feels so good.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran
This thread has been excellent for giving me ideas. I'm planning on buying a car this year, and since I have a family and live in Germany wagons are realistic option. I keep bouncing between practical family cars and insanely powered luxury wagons. Please tell me the latter is a terrible option, I'm afraid of the repair bills :)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

EgonSpengler posted:

This thread has been excellent for giving me ideas. I'm planning on buying a car this year, and since I have a family and live in Germany wagons are realistic option. I keep bouncing between practical family cars and insanely powered luxury wagons. Please tell me the latter is a terrible option, I'm afraid of the repair bills :)

Depends on how much work you're willing to do. Germans luxury cars for example are great within warranty if you don't want to do work.

After that you end up in these situations where a repair is $100 if you do it yourself or $1000 at the dealer. In my opinion they're not any more or less reliable than most cars these days if you pick the right model, the repair costs just sting like hell if you get anywhere near a dealer or buy OEM parts.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

8ender posted:

Depends on how much work you're willing to do. Germans luxury cars for example are great within warranty if you don't want to do work.

After that you end up in these situations where a repair is $100 if you do it yourself or $1000 at the dealer. In my opinion they're not any more or less reliable than most cars these days if you pick the right model, the repair costs just sting like hell if you get anywhere near a dealer or buy OEM parts.

Reality is I'll probably always have someone else do the work, no matter what the vehicle. I'm not equipped to be doing my own work on a car.

I'm looking at mid-size cars, and most of them are pretty normal touring/family cars. Just occasionally I stumble across a high-mileage M5/RS6/E63AMG in my purchase price range and get tempted. I mean the autobahns are right here...

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Ultimate Mango posted:

Wow that's beautiful. Would you mind sharing your detailed build. That color is looking good in the sun.

Delighted! It's a 2015 328d in imperial blue metallic with the beige leather interior and basically every add: cold weather package, driver assistance packages including the parking assistance thing which is complete technological witchcraft, dynamic handling package (ADAPTIVE M SUSPENSION but it did not come with any M badges), lighting package, tech package with the HUD, upgraded sound system, and the "don't crash into other cars" cruise control. We added on pretty much all the assistance stuff to try to keep my wife from crashing it into things at low speeds, which is a longtime regrettable habit that we hope loud beeping from the car will curtail.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
What do you guys think of the new E350 wagon? I kinda don't want to give up the handling of the bimmer but on the other hand, without the read seats down the BMW doesn't actually hold that much cargo wise. I think just from what I've read not having driven either yet I'm gonna look real seriously at both the e350 and the 328 in a year or two.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I think the E wagons look fantastic, but I am not crazy about the logo in the front grille look MB has been going with lately. Totally minor quibble. I will also probably check those out when I start looking but I think between the new wagons the Volvo would probably be the one in my price range.

Also: E63 AMG wagon, oh my yes. That is my "if I had unlimited funds" car right there.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Stefan Prodan posted:

What do you guys think of the new E350 wagon? I kinda don't want to give up the handling of the bimmer but on the other hand, without the read seats down the BMW doesn't actually hold that much cargo wise. I think just from what I've read not having driven either yet I'm gonna look real seriously at both the e350 and the 328 in a year or two.

In my view, they're in different classes. We cross-shopped our wagon against the GLK250 and the Q5. E350 wagon was a step up class-wise and also price-wise, and the 3-series was about the largest car my wife was comfortable with (coming from a Honda Fit).

Also, I took the car out on the first decently-long drive today to roll around upstate NY for a few hours, and I completely understand now. The car feels as planted and quiet at 75 mph as at 25 mph. And then I got back and my wife and I went to PetSmart and we threw a ton of cat litter and cat food in the back, BECAUSE IT'S A WAGON

THIS IS WHAT PERFECTION FEELS LIKE

chutwig fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 31, 2014

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

priznat posted:

I think the E wagons look fantastic, but I am not crazy about the logo in the front grille look MB has been going with lately. Totally minor quibble.

That is part of the sport package. Otherwise it's on the hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

I've started shopping to swap my wagon from an LT1 to a 5.3 Lm7. This is probably a bad idea.

• Locked thread