Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I believe countries not recognizing each other's citizenships, but also not investigating if you have them, is a fairly normal condition. A Mexican and American friend is in the same situation. It doesn't cause him any problems particularly; when he is traveling he can just choose to present himself as a Mexican or as an American, which is rather convenient.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I believe countries not recognizing each other's citizenships, but also not investigating if you have them, is a fairly normal condition. A Mexican and American friend is in the same situation. It doesn't cause him any problems particularly; when he is traveling he can just choose to present himself as a Mexican or as an American, which is rather convenient.

I've heard this too, you just have to make sure for the actual travel to always use the same passport. But passport discrimination is a known thing, and it's not uncommon for people who do a lot of diplomatic-type travel to different countries to have more than one of the same passport (e.g. Israel will refuse you entry if you have stamps in your passport showing you visited middle-eastern countries, so people who legitimately need to visit "conflicting" countries will get 2 passports [of the same nationality] to conceal their travel history as necessary).

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

univbee posted:

I've heard this too, you just have to make sure for the actual travel to always use the same passport. But passport discrimination is a known thing, and it's not uncommon for people who do a lot of diplomatic-type travel to different countries to have more than one of the same passport (e.g. Israel will refuse you entry if you have stamps in your passport showing you visited middle-eastern countries, so people who legitimately need to visit "conflicting" countries will get 2 passports [of the same nationality] to conceal their travel history as necessary).

Not to nitpick but it's the other way around: some countries will not let you in with a stamp from Israel in your passport, so you can request that the border guards in Israel not stamp your passport. Israel itself has no such policy.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

LyonsLions posted:

Not to nitpick but it's the other way around: some countries will not let you in with a stamp from Israel in your passport, so you can request that the border guards in Israel not stamp your passport. Israel itself has no such policy.

I remembered a Top Gear special where they brought out 2nd passports for entering Israel but it was probably a big showy thing they did for dramatic purposes. I did some research and it looks like in and of itself it won't deny you entry into Israel (while travel to the Middle East with an Israeli stamp is generally a no-exceptions ban), but might lead to some questions about your past trips to those countries.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

univbee posted:

I remembered a Top Gear special where they brought out 2nd passports for entering Israel but it was probably a big showy thing they did for dramatic purposes. I did some research and it looks like in and of itself it won't deny you entry into Israel (while travel to the Middle East with an Israeli stamp is generally a no-exceptions ban), but might lead to some questions about your past trips to those countries.

Israeli security is run by actual professionals instead of some tribal fuckwit, so this is to be expected. This is relevant to the Japanese politics thread because Japan is the tribal fuckwit minus religious prejudice.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Some countries can also tell by what border stamps you have in certain countries, say a Jordan exit one, that it was at the border with Israel and deny accordingly.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Stringent posted:

Israeli security is run by actual professionals instead of some tribal fuckwit

nice racism bro this is totally a thing which is acceptable in a d&d thread

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
israeli security is run by professional tribal fuckwits.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Small Frozen Thing posted:

israeli security is run by professional tribal fuckwits pissed off teenage conscripts.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
i'm not sure when you were a teenager, but I was one recently and "tribal fuckhead" describes the teenage mindset pretty well, tbh

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
http://www.turning-japanese.info/2014/06/revoked.html

It's easy to get J citizenship and you just need to pick a kanji/kana representation of your name, not "choose a Japanese name".* As everyone's said, it's also relatively easy to fly under the radar and keep both (or all) your citizenships if you don't gently caress up, unlike the dude in the link. (Said loving-up being "attempting to eat one's gold-leafed cake and have it too while being American".

* Not the same thing, but when we married, my wife took my name and so has it in katakana. She took my gaijin card (at the time) to the passport office to show the proper spelling, and so on her passport it's spelt properly and not kana-ised. I know have heard there are also some exceptions to the Hepburn/whatever rules for kids born in Japan who also have overseas nationalities--they can have a passport that reads "Jason" instead of "Jeison", for example.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm a bit confused about what's going on with everyone's favorite subject, comfort women, right now. I guess the boss of the Asashi admitted that there was a fake interview with someone admitting that they are real, but now he's refusing to apologize, not because the interview is not fake, but because the history is real? Or am I misunderstanding somehow?

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Asahi Shimbun retracted a bunch of articles published between 1980 and 1990.

Your link is just reporting that on たかじんのそこまで言って委員会, Kato claimed that Asahi's president Kimura told him that he wouldn't apologize. I would take this with a grain of salt; we don't know what Kato actually said, and たかじん isn't exactly the most reliable news source.

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 11, 2014

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Asashi printed a whole heap of articles based on interviews with Yoshida Seiji and from his book "My War Crimes" where he recounted going and rounding up 200 girls at gunpoint to turn into comfort woman. Later on it was revealed that it was all made up so he could sell more books. Lots of right wingers use this as proof that the IJA never kidnapped women etc, even though thats directly countered by the records of the High command telling people off for doing exactly that.

Asashi knew about this as Yoshida recanted back in the mid 90s (from memory) after a south korean reporter who was from the island he claimed the event took place went and spoke to people who were alive at the time, and none of them had any memory about it (as as the village was small it would be pretty obvious if it did happen). The problem is that Asashi kept using his accounts as proof even after he recanted.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Wibbleman posted:

Asashi printed a whole heap of articles based on interviews with Yoshida Seiji and from his book "My War Crimes" where he recounted going and rounding up 200 girls at gunpoint to turn into comfort woman. Later on it was revealed that it was all made up so he could sell more books. Lots of right wingers use this as proof that the IJA never kidnapped women etc, even though thats directly countered by the records of the High command telling people off for doing exactly that.

Asashi knew about this as Yoshida recanted back in the mid 90s (from memory) after a south korean reporter who was from the island he claimed the event took place went and spoke to people who were alive at the time, and none of them had any memory about it (as as the village was small it would be pretty obvious if it did happen). The problem is that Asashi kept using his accounts as proof even after he recanted.
Okay, thanks. I knew I was missing something big, from the little bits of poorly-sourced news I had seen recently.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is it known why Asahi decided to retract the articles now? The timing is really lovely. If they had done so a while ago it probably wouldn't be as big deal, but after the whole thing where Diet members were calling for "verifying" the Kono statement that was only really stopped by Abe's apparent lack of interest, this time it looks like the Abe administration is just going to step back and let the Diet go through with it if it wants. The right-wingers might actually get enough support to do something stupid and screw up Japan's international relations even more than they already are. There are a lot of people playing it as if these retractions have finally proved that the whole comfort women thing is a fabrication for good.

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 12, 2014

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess I missed it last week, but apparently Japan is developing its own stealth fighter.

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 20, 2014

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I assume the Valkyrie-like paint scheme is intentional.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Is this going to be a legit homegrown stealth fighter or F-2 'homegrown'? It's a little hard to tell from the article.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Pretty sure the US doesn't export stealth technology as such. Interestingly enough, the Japanese are also buying the F-35. Either the Japanese government wants to hedge its bets (a wise decision where the F-35 is concerned) or it is just a make work scheme for their military-industrial complex.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

ArchangeI posted:

Pretty sure the US doesn't export stealth technology as such. Interestingly enough, the Japanese are also buying the F-35. Either the Japanese government wants to hedge its bets (a wise decision where the F-35 is concerned) or it is just a make work scheme for their military-industrial complex.

Those seem reasonable, but one of LDP's big recent pushes has been to try to break the tradition of Japan's reliance on the US for defense. So recently they've been talking about changing the constitution or reinterpreting the constitution to lessen the restrictions on Japan's ability to go to war. Development of their own stealth fighter would fall in line with things like spying missions that currently don't seem constitutional under as things stand now.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
They're probably also intending it or export at some point. Japan has made moves already and will probably be making more to allow for exportation of weapons and military tech.

That way it not only can it potentially support an industry and make a profit, but it can help to arm it's neighbors against China and curb their military influence over the region, all while not needing to build up the Japanese military more than needed (and avoiding the political ramifications of doing so), and potentially creating closer ties with surrounding nations.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
This plane, the ATD-X Shinshin, has been in the works for years, and as said in the article they want to build their own stealth air superiority fighter since they weren't expecting the US to export the F-22 to anyone. This isn't a heavily re-engineered F-16 like Japan's F-2, this one has been designed from the ground up. Have a look at the wikipedia article.

ArchangeI posted:

Right now there is no need to hedge bets with the F-35, basically anyone who doesn't have a vested interest in the project is saying this aircraft is complete and utter poo poo. The only correct move is to get away from that project and buy other aircraft. It is very, very possible older fighters like the F-16, MiG-29, and so on could provide superior performance and logistics if the F-35's stealth performance either fails to work as intended or is simply made irrelevant through advances in radar technology.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Amid discussion of taxing Pachinko, the National Police Agency is shocked, shocked to discover that people are exchanging Pachinko "prizes" for cash:

quote:

「パチンコで換金が行われているなど、まったく存じあげないことでございまして」と警察庁の担当官。
http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASG7X64YLG7XUTFK00X.html

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

mystes posted:

Amid discussion of taxing Pachinko, the National Police Agency is shocked, shocked to discover that people are exchanging Pachinko "prizes" for cash:

Hahaha seriously what the gently caress

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

mystes posted:

What??? How could this happenn??!

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Mercury_Storm posted:

What??? How could this happenn??!

Gambling? In my country? No waaaaaayyyyy!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does anyone do this pretending not to see stuff as consistently well as the Japanese police?

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
Wait, you can't actually win money at pachinko? I thought they were the Japanese version of slot machines, where you exchange those little marbles for yen.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I Love Annie May posted:

Wait, you can't actually win money at pachinko? I thought they were the Japanese version of slot machines, where you exchange those little marbles for yen.
You exchange them for a prize, and then you walk around the corner to an unmarked storefront and they exchange the prize for yen. That's enough to make the cops look the other way. Like I said, they're experts at looking the other way.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 26, 2014

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

I Love Annie May posted:

Japan has lots of bizarre fig leaves like that. Take soaplands: okay, you're gonna pay a woman to get in a bathtub with you wearing a little bikini while you wear a speedo, lather each other up...and, woah, hey, you're having SEX? Wow, you just must be a smooth operator, because the transaction was TOTALLY unrelated to prostitution!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

quote:

「パチンコで換金が行われているなど、まったく存じあげないことでございまして」と警察庁の担当官。「建前論はやめましょう」。

Wait, am I reading this right and the National Police Agency is saying "Oh this just doesn't happen, let's just drop the theory."?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Mercury_Storm posted:

Wait, am I reading this right and the National Police Agency is saying "Oh this just doesn't happen, let's just drop the theory."?

「パチンコで換金が行われているなど、まったく存じあげないことでございまして」と警察庁の担当官。「建前論はやめましょう」。うんざり顔の議員ら。

The opposite, unless I'm mistaken. The last part is saying diet members are tired of the police sticking to the official stance that they're not aware of the pachinko loophole.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mercury_Storm posted:

The National Police Agency is saying "we have absolutely no idea what you're taking about," and the Diet members are saying "oh come on, drop the pretense."

It's funny because it's so tone deaf for them to keep pretending when 1) 100% of Japan knows it actually goes on and 2) the Diet is specifically taking about legalizing it so they can tax it.

Edit: ^^^ yeah, what he said

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 26, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

mystes posted:

The National Police Agency is saying "we have absolutely no idea what you're taking about," and the Diet members are saying "oh come on, drop the pretense."
Why are they saying this, if they wrote such a lovely law that is so easy to loophole?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why are they saying this, if they wrote such a lovely law that is so easy to loophole?
I seriously doubt there's an actual loophole, although I haven't looked into it. That's why the National Police Agency has to pretend not to know

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Samurai Sanders posted:

They want mo' money.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
So would people freak out if there was an effort to ~~~Legalize It~~~? Gambling, that is. A bunch of my coworkers and friend's coworkers got really uneasy when we mentioned that some states in the US were legalizing weed, but I don't know if people actually care about gambling.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Apparently there's an additional level of obfuscation that goes on to hide the sale of the prizes back to the parlors. The Japanese Wikipedia article is pretty interesting: http://ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%B8%89%E5%BA%97%E6%96%B9%E5%BC%8F

If anyone really cared I'm sure they could crack down though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Probably because all the pachinko places that aren't owned by the Yakuza are owned by retired cops, and so the Diet don't want to antagonise them.