Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I guess you should... Prepare to Die :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tae posted:

Early talks say the Sunken City DLC was baby cakes compared to Iron King which worries me, because I struggled quite a lot with the Sunken City.

A goon in the console thread said the early parts at least (up to third bonfire) are easier than the first DLC.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I haven't played this in ages, and am getting back into it for the DLC. Have they changed the way dex scaling works so it's in line with strength? Or is it still 2 points for strength scaling, one for dex?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The greatest track in Dark Souls II to date is up on yt but the name of it is a dlc spoiler, so: click for dlc spoilers!

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 26, 2014

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Old Iron King isn't on the Steam store for purchase, was this normal for Sunken King? Since I bought that a week after the fact

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Leper Residue posted:

I haven't played this in ages, and am getting back into it for the DLC. Have they changed the way dex scaling works so it's in line with strength? Or is it still 2 points for strength scaling, one for dex?

They didn't change Dex scaling, but most dex weapon got a huge buff, like Spears and Twin Blades got AR and/or scaling buffs.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

They didn't change Dex scaling, but most dex weapon got a huge buff, like Spears and Twin Blades got AR and/or scaling buffs.

Yeah! Spears are now awesome, Thrusting Swords are now awesome, Twinblades are now awesome, Curved Swords are now awesome... I'd say dex is doing very good :v:

e: Unrelated, I've been invaded more the last couple of hours than I've been in the last month. Some of whom are using DLC items. :negative:
I guess you now have to play offline to not get spoiled before the DLC comes out. gently caress.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Concurred posted:

Old Iron King isn't on the Steam store for purchase, was this normal for Sunken King? Since I bought that a week after the fact

I bought Sunken King a day before it came out. I did have to kinda "trick" the store into letting me buy it. I clicked on DLC, then on Season Pass, then on the top I clicked on "Dark Souls 2 Downloadable Content" and it showed up in there. Searching just yielded the Season Pass. This trick doesn't seem to work for the Iron King.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
I had a good time tonight in the blood arena, but there were a few instances where my reasonably-hard-hitting spells and melee swings didn't break the poise of dudes in heavy armor, even with the newly buffed stone ring on. I'm beginning to doubt that stone ring affects spells, or if it does, that it works in PVP as well as it does PVE.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Okay time to get back into the swing of things with a new build. My 'utility spell' build was mediocre, at best, so I'm thinking of switching over to something more purely martial with a side of poison.

I'm thinking dual poison dagger and/or poison trident and spotted whip? Then primary damage with Pate's and a Blackbow. For rings/misc equipment I've got Stone, Flynn, Leo and Rat ring...or would blades be better than the small boost Rat gives? Also sanctum soldier gauntlets.

Then for stats? I'm at SL 166 now.

I'm not up and up on what changes and other items I may have missed though, anybody try something similar to this out?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Your Computer posted:

Yeah! Spears are now awesome, Thrusting Swords are now awesome, Twinblades are now awesome, Curved Swords are now awesome... I'd say dex is doing very good :v:

e: Unrelated, I've been invaded more the last couple of hours than I've been in the last month. Some of whom are using DLC items. :negative:
I guess you now have to play offline to not get spoiled before the DLC comes out. gently caress.

drat, wish I would have made a dex guy instead of my standard dual club dude.

Also what the hell, the mansion chest doesn't give a soul vessel anymore? That's crap.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

drat, wish I would have made a dex guy instead of my standard dual club dude.

Also what the hell, the mansion chest doesn't give a soul vessel anymore? That's crap.

It always does, it's just there's a promo item at the moment. Try warping back and forth between Things Betwixt and it should refresh with a Vessel.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Alabaster White posted:

It always does, it's just there's a promo item at the moment. Try warping back and forth between Things Betwixt and it should refresh with a Vessel.

Oh cool, thanks. I was rather pissed that I got a lovely black steel katana (which maybe is good now?) instead of my soul vessel.

If I've already opened the chest on the character from way before, will I get the promo item?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

Oh cool, thanks. I was rather pissed that I got a lovely black steel katana (which maybe is good now?) instead of my soul vessel.

If I've already opened the chest on the character from way before, will I get the promo item?

Yes. The chest refreshes every time a new item is placed in it.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Anyone run a poison build with pretty good success, or is it more of a gimmick? I've hardly ever encountered poison but I've been wanting to try it out.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

The Protagonist posted:

Anyone run a poison build with pretty good success, or is it more of a gimmick? I've hardly ever encountered poison but I've been wanting to try it out.

I found it pretty useful on my bow build, poisoning a boss then switching to an arrow type that caused more raw damage until the poison expired seemed pretty efficient.

In PVP, stunlocking people with a poison side-dagger was a useful trick to have up my sleeve - it was pretty panic-inducing when it worked - but it wasn't super reliable. You can't rely on poison for your main damage type but you can definitely weave it in there.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

The Protagonist posted:

I keep trying to make poison pyro builds, but they're not nearly as good as the sorcery/mixed-school builds I love. A large part of this might just be (lack of) player skill with that build, though. I shelved it indefinitely when I got a guy poisoned, readied a forbidden sun to punish his moss usage, and it sailed right past his very slow crabwalk animation mid-moss.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Space Hamlet posted:

In PVP, stunlocking people with a poison side-dagger was a useful trick to have up my sleeve - it was pretty panic-inducing when it worked - but it wasn't super reliable. You can't rely on poison for your main damage type but you can definitely weave it in there.

Yeah I posted a rough build of what I was thinking with just a regular (raw?) Pate's as my primary with poison-dealing stuff offhand, but I just wanted to get a feel for what I should invest in before I respec.

I've seen recommendations for both spotted whip and a poison infused trident, not really had a chance to play around with either much.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

The Protagonist posted:

Yeah I posted a rough build of what I was thinking with just a regular (raw?) Pate's as my primary with poison-dealing stuff offhand, but I just wanted to get a feel for what I should invest in before I respec.

I've seen recommendations for both spotted whip and a poison infused trident, not really had a chance to play around with either much.

For me it was a poison parrying dagger, regular dagger +10, and some kind of bow in the left hand. In the right hand was another +10 dagger, a pyromancy hand, and a blacksteel katana. Dex build, had a lot of fun with it though my miracle build was more succesful for PVP.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

The Protagonist posted:

I've run into a couple people running power-stanced spotted whips, which is pretty brutal when it lands. Not much else, though.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I'm doing a run through with a poison build right now and its a lot funner late game than it is at the beginning and middle. At the start you aren't really poisoning enough and in the middle there are a lot of poison resistant things (at least the route I took) but by end game a lot of guys get poisoned after just a few hits and you can just sit back and watch. Now that I think about it I may want to take my poison guy through this DLC because he made Iron Keep about ten times easier.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
:frogsiren: LORE SPOILERS AHEAD, REFERENCING NEW ITEM DESCRIPTION :frogsiren:

http://i.imgur.com/c6hO4MK.jpg

Harry Potter and Dark Souls take place in the same universe: CONFIRMED. TIME IS CONVOLUTED

Crazy lore implications! Had to forgo img tags because it was breaking tables and spoilers don't play nice with timg.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Anyone know the item ID of the pharros mask? No time like the present to revive The Legend.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Getting pumped for the DLC, the Ashen Warrior Sword looks like the return of the Baller Swag Sword.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

I'm doing a run through with a poison build right now and its a lot funner late game than it is at the beginning and middle. At the start you aren't really poisoning enough and in the middle there are a lot of poison resistant things (at least the route I took) but by end game a lot of guys get poisoned after just a few hits and you can just sit back and watch. Now that I think about it I may want to take my poison guy through this DLC because he made Iron Keep about ten times easier.

Yeah the dude I'm respecing is 166 and just now ready to jump into ng+. What is/was your stat spread around that level?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

WarpedLichen posted:

Getting pumped for the DLC, the Ashen Warrior Sword looks like the return of the Baller Swag Sword.

It does look very similar in terms of design and moveset: from what I've seen it's basically a combination of all the best parts of the Foot Soldier Sword and Drakekeeper Sword with more damage (138 base damage, upgrades with Titanite meaning 276 base damage when +10, C/B scaling). It seems kind of OP, really, I am sure some of the info I have must be wrong. Oh, it does have low (30) durability which From seems to think is a good balancing factor.

I mean I'm going to use the gently caress out of it if this is true but unless there's some other super strong weapons in the DLC everyone is going to use this thing.

The Fume Sword looks interesting as well, a straight sword with S dex scaling and built in Dark damage and scaling. It has a moveset more like the Sun Sword's.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 26, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How're the early reports of how good the Majestic greatsword is?

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
DLC is open, restart steam to get the update.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
so my only question is how the heck we get access to it in the first place

anothmir
Nov 11, 2004

I'm the Humper; stop hitting me

The Iron Rose posted:

so my only question is how the heck we get access to it in the first place

Primal fire after the Old Iron King

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Dang, I need to get up in ~4 hours. What unfortunate timing for me.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Nahxela posted:

Dang, I need to get up in ~4 hours. What unfortunate timing for me.

I am going to work right now, I can assure you that this is worse :v:

Is any of the new armour actually good or is it all pure ~Fashion Souls~?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
did this shithole npc phantom just shrug at me

drat you from

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Played up to the third bonfire but I have to sleep :(

Feels significantly easier and more straightforward than Sunken King so far. I noped out of the tower of 'gently caress you poo poo's cursed' for now though :stare:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

did this shithole npc phantom just shrug at me

drat you from

oh jesus

it's basically a person at this point

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It's still closed for me. Or are you all hacking in your keys?

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

NOT A HUGE FAN OF THESE MONSTERS CONSTANTLY SPAWNING BEHIND ME ON THE SIDE OF CLIFFS :v:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

It's open for me. I think it seems easier so far since the last dlc both superpowered my character and I'm being incredibly cautious.

Some pretty cool enemies/attacks too I like the dudes popping up out of the ash, the big :black101: motherfuckers with firebreathing bull shoulder pads, the hollow golem bowmen that'll levitate their bowarm up into the air to get a better shot at you, and ohgod the teleporting backstabbing mage types

I'd recommend having some fire arrows handy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Bewitched Greatsword and Bracing Knuckle Ring +2 :getin:

This DLC is way more fun to me than Sunken King. Maybe the imagery was too bleary or something, but when I zoned into this one I was like "WHOA HEIDE'S WITH SNOW" and then about 15 seconds later I was like :downs: oh nevermind.