Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I wonder how much of it was fighting with actual punching, like a traditional hockey fight. And how much was just everyone out on the ice without gloves on, just holding each other in a big pile or group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Given it's bronze level I imagine two dudes tried, fell over, wrestled, and then 6-10 other people were slowly pulled in to the pile by trying to grab someone and also falling over and writhing around on the ice.

I do not picture Slap Shot-esque brawling from the lowest level of beer league.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

lol some tryhards on one of those teams were on the team that tried to get in fights at one of our 3v3 fundraisers

SKs?

Let me tell you how shocked I am.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Had a playoff game tonight against a team we have beaten previously. Manage to score to goals in the last 1:15 of the game, with the game tying goal coming with 5 seconds left on the clock.

It's a bit deflating to get that game-tying goal and then have all of our shooters choke on the shootout and go 0-for-3 with their crazy skilled old guy getting the winner.

:smithicide:

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

bgreman posted:

If you're talking about Brady's Run, I joined the D league for this season. I think I lucked out though, because I got put on the gray team. Based on the website, it looks like they won the last session. Any info?

We had our first game tonight. We got smashed, 10-1 and our goalie quit! Wooo!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Won the Silver championship tonight 1-0 in an incredibly close game. This is literally the greatest moment of my life.

And our line that has been playing together for 4 years across 2 teams. We got the only goal of the game.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

That's awesome, congrats! Really sweet cup too.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

bgreman posted:

Lol what? Did you guys get a new goalie in the offseason or something? That's really strange.

Maybe it's the old Green goalie? I think Green had a different goalie last week vs last season, and their old one had an awful attitude iirc.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

xzzy posted:

Wasn't someone saying in here a ways back that the lower the league, the more guys you run into trying to prove something?

Yeah that was me - the tldr of it was that you get less of it with players who've grown up playing the game because they've already been there, done it and had it bag skated out of them afterwards. Adults on the other hand watch Matt Cooke and think that poo poo belongs in rec hockey.

You newbies just don't understand the game. :bahgawd:

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

bgreman posted:

Ouch that sucks, were you missing any players?

Look Around You posted:

Lol what? Did you guys get a new goalie in the offseason or something? That's really strange.

Maybe it's the old Green goalie? I think Green had a different goalie last week vs last season, and their old one had an awful attitude iirc.

I think this guy is new to the league, he is the one who always posts in the Pittsburgh hockey groups on Facebook talking about his Vokoun pads. I've only seen him play dek hockey and he wasn't the greatest, just big.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Look Around You posted:

dms666 posted:

Ouch that sucks, were you missing any players?

I think this guy is new to the league, he is the one who always posts in the Pittsburgh hockey groups on Facebook talking about his Vokoun pads. I've only seen him play dek hockey and he wasn't the greatest, just big.

We had 8 total, so we went with 3 D (only one of whom regularly plays D) and five F. The other team just moved the puck really well and since our D were inexperienced at it, they tried to step up at the blue line too often and got beat into the zone. We were tired, but not so tired that we should have got whipped that badly.

The goalie was one who subbed for my team a few times at New Ken's E League. He's kind of a hothead. Someone was near his crease whacking at a loose puck and he flipped his poo poo. Later, after the 7th or 8th goal, he started punching the crossbar over and over. I guess he gave some kind of "I quit" speech in the room afterward, but some other guys and I stayed on the ice to mess around since we still had some time left before the zamboni came out. I don't think he played at Brady's last season.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So there's a video of the Bronze brawl on Facebook. I have no idea how to save it to get it to Youtube though :(

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So there's a video of the Bronze brawl on Facebook. I have no idea how to save it to get it to Youtube though :(

I don't know why I want to see this so badly, but wikihow has instructions.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Is it set to public? If so link it.

Facebook often has a Download option under the options, too.

(If it's public, comment on it so I can find it easy also)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It's not posted as public. I figured out how to grab it, but the quality sucks. I'll probably delete this in a bit, so get it while it's hot. You can see one of the girls throwing a bunch of punches on the left side of the frame, then a dude just tosses her off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_FvJwM5OlA

The guy with the initial hit is on my Monday night team. I'll bet you can figure out which one he is in my team pic above. :v:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 26, 2014

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

It's not posted as public. I figured out how to grab it, but the quality sucks. I'll probably delete this in a bit, so get it while it's hot. You can see one of the girls throwing a bunch of punches on the left side of the frame, then a dude just tosses her off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_FvJwM5OlA

The guy with the initial hit is on my Monday night team. I'll bet you can figure out which one he is. :v:

Exactly what I was expecting.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
That wasn't even a big hit or anything but my biggest concern is how many fans are in the stands. Beer league packs your stands?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Championship games are usually pretty packed. Other teams in the league will show up to watch too.
Normally it's just a few wives/girlfriends and a random mom/dad/grandma.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
lol that wasn't even a boarding penalty jesus, also does the female in question not understand the disparity in size/strength and how that relates to fisticuffs

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

lol that wasn't even a boarding penalty jesus, also does the female in question not understand the disparity in size/strength and how that relates to fisticuffs

Or you know, any type of contact. Any time I bump a girl they go flying, a lot like the way I go flying when a 300+ dude runs into me.

I'm in International Falls for work, brought my skates just in case there was a chance for an open skate or something but the only rink is on the Canadian side of town. I didn't know I'd need a passport to get ice. :smith:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's not a great hit in a non checking league.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Chemmy posted:

That's not a great hit in a non checking league.

Isn't deliberately impeding someone well after he's dumped the puck interference even in a checking league?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It looks like two hands or a stick in the lower back throwing that guy into the boards from behind.

It's a garbage hit and the guy throwing it knew that.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

The guy with the initial hit is on my Monday night team. I'll bet you can figure out which one he is in my team pic above. :v:

This is harder then I thought it would be- is it the guy standing on the far left (next to the guy in street clothes?) He looks the most like he just got out of prison.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Chemmy posted:

It looks like two hands or a stick in the lower back throwing that guy into the boards from behind.

It's a garbage hit and the guy throwing it knew that.

Seemed like charging too. I'd like to think that would be a major in the leagues around here though who knows.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Wasn't a good enough hit to be a major IMO.

2 for charging and 10 for being an idiot. Maybe a match but again a really bad hit to intentionally try to hurt someone.

When I officiated, similar to what these guys appear to feel, I also felt I wasn't paid enough to break up fights. However I also wasn't paid enough to file that much paperwork. I am surprised one of the officials didn't bust rear end to in front of whites bench to discourage and redirect players leaving the bench.

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013
Pleads pretty much nailed it with his forecast. I like the guys toward the end patting each other by the bench and skating off.

bgreman posted:

Who quits after only 10 goals? I hope he at least skated by the bench and told the team president that this would be his last game in Montreal.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
A new rink just opened in Nashville and I played pickup there for the first time tonight. It's super nice and fancy and not trashed by teenagers yet.

That is all.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Verman posted:

That wasn't even a big hit or anything but my biggest concern is how many fans are in the stands. Beer league packs your stands?

This was exactly what I was thinking watching this video. Was this one of those Bud Light fill the stands as a goof things?

Also, the hit has to be considered in context. That's pretty much the bronze league version of this.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Dangerllama posted:

Also, the hit has to be considered in context. That's pretty much the bronze league version of this.

Eh maybe, but to start a bench clearing dogpile over that hit? Hell, to clear the benches in beer league over anything other than the handshake line is ridiculous. However, I was laughing pretty hard at the fans loving the "fight."

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The context in this situation is that everyone sucks

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I go get in the car and drive to the rink and get out of the car and walk around to my trunk and open my trunk and discover that I left my stuff at home.

I stupid

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Bradf0rd posted:

Eh maybe, but to start a bench clearing dogpile over that hit? Hell, to clear the benches in beer league over anything other than the handshake line is ridiculous. However, I was laughing pretty hard at the fans loving the "fight."

Yeah. Hopping over the bench is dumb in just about every scenario.

sellouts posted:

The context in this situation is that everyone sucks

So, during your time in the NHL, what would the coach normally say on the bench when a dirty hit happened? Can you give us a sense of the locker room vibe as well?

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 28, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

i have no idea what you're talking about or what kind of point you're trying to make with the nhl bit but trying to follow your reference here you could say i've "gotten my cup of coffee" in bronze league and because of that i can say with authority that the context of the video is that everyone sucks and they should feel bad for acting like children over something that was really soft and stupid

Also, ratcheting up the perceived severity of something illegal that happens on ice due to difference in skill level is really stupid. I thought you were making a joke but here we are.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Dangerllama posted:

Nah, I've seen that hit in beer league, too. (No fight ensued.)

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Bullshit. That's pretty much the "intent doesn't matter, only the outcome does" line that the the NHL disciplinary board catches crazy amounts of poo poo for. It doesn't matter that the guy missed because he's terrible. It matters that he attempted to wreck another player near the boards in a no-check league (and made contact). It's super weird that you don't think a guy should get tossed for that, particularly in a league where checks aren't expected, well (read: safely) executed, nor well taken.

And yes, I agree that the bench clearing bit was idiotic. As was everyone else on the ice participating in whatever their idea of hockey justice was.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 28, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I may still feel like a slug on the ice, but all that hockey playing sure seems to be helping my overall condition in other areas.

I went for a short hike yesterday along a couple snowmobile trails in the backwoods of northern Minnesota, was only about a mile each way but it was really thick underbrush and once you add in hills it was a pretty good cardio workout. I ripped through that fucker like a champ. :smug:

Didn't time it exactly but it was about 20 minutes each way. If I'd tried that before hockey it probably would have taken me an hour, and the best part is once I got back to the car I felt like I could have done it again.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's a penalty, which was called. It's not nearly as bad as someone taking a stick to a head, butt ending, cross check to neck, sticking knee out clearly, throwing punches etc etc etc that anyone can do at any level.

Or should all body contact be a gamer?

I'm sorry but there's judgment calls to be made with officiating. There's levels of severity. This one wasn't that severe, mostly because the dude doing it had no idea how to do it. Because he sucks. Like everyone else.

2 min for the board, 10 min unsportsmanlike because he's an idiot and that makes it so he leaves the game, and that's that. Like I said maybe a match penalty if you really think he's trying to hurt the dude but I'll be honest I've seen much much much better and clearer attempts at that in a bronze level game.

Edit: watched it again, ain't no way I'm assigning that a match penalty. He gives the dude a lovely shove from the side after he finishes the dump in and it's not a hit squarely from behind or head first into the boards. I think he even avoids any sort of head contact. 2 + 10. Rewards other team with a power play, takes him out of the game for almost a whole period and given that it's the end of the game removes him from the game, let the league sort out the rest.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 28, 2014

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Clearly the only way to settle this is to invite the player in question to an in person hearing in front of the goon disciplinary board. A youtube analysis of the play in question should be provided after any disciplinary decision is made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

It's a penalty, which was called. It's not nearly as bad as someone taking a stick to a head, butt ending, cross check to neck, sticking knee out clearly, throwing punches etc etc etc that anyone can do at any level.

Or should all body contact be a gamer?

I'm sorry but there's judgment calls to be made with officiating. There's levels of severity. This one wasn't that severe, mostly because the dude doing it had no idea how to do it. Because he sucks. Like everyone else.

2 min for the board, 10 min unsportsmanlike because he's an idiot and that makes it so he leaves the game, and that's that. Like I said maybe a match penalty if you really think he's trying to hurt the dude but I'll be honest I've seen much much much better and clearer attempts at that in a bronze level game.

Edit: watched it again, ain't no way I'm assigning that a match penalty. He gives the dude a lovely shove from the side after he finishes the dump in and it's not a hit squarely from behind or head first into the boards. I think he even avoids any sort of head contact. 2 + 10. Rewards other team with a power play, takes him out of the game for almost a whole period and given that it's the end of the game removes him from the game, let the league sort out the rest.

I pretty much agree with everything here. 2 and a 10, done.

I think part of the reason why the benches cleared was because the game ended right after dude dumped it in. All the penalties on the score sheet were marked as 0:00 left in the 3rd.