Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Gimmick Account posted:

I'm pretty sure that those made-up 'what actually happened'-types of epilogues are a lot more fun to read or write than is the act of playing the game itself.

vibratingsheep, confirm/deny?

Confirm.

New poll: What should the new thread title be?

Thread overhaul coming as soon as I can finish the writeup!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

vibratingsheep posted:

Confirm.

New poll: What should the new thread title be?

Thread overhaul coming as soon as I can finish the writeup!

That third choice, it's so great. :allears:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

SystemLogoff posted:

That third choice, it's so great. :allears:

I'll be honest, I have no idea if it'll fit in the title...

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

vibratingsheep posted:

I'll be honest, I have no idea if it'll fit in the title...

At worse: "Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side - TM3 Convinced Me to Date Guys" should fit.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

Kimitsu posted:

Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side - How to Date a Gundam.

But honestly my vote goes for either Being a girl is hard or The Original Crowdfunding Success. Later games give us voice actors like One Piece's Zoro, Bleach's Ichigo, and FMA's Greed, and of course most of them have had a role in one Gundam or another... but I think the actors for the first game are overall famous in anime. (The budget for TM3 totally went to getting VAs for TMGS.)

TMGS1's cast was definitely the most high-profile for its day and even with a lot of the later games' cast having become more notable over time still probably is. I'm really familiar with a lot of TMGS2's cast now but I'm not sure how big a lot of them were in 2006 (or 2008, since one of the DS port's new characters has a now-pretty-major actor), and I've still only heard of about half of TMGS3's cast outside of the context of that game - I think the girls might actually be the most notable cast members there, though some of the guys are big now too.

But yeah. Still lots and lots of Gundam, across the entire series (but my actual vote goes towards either of those other two too). ...I'm also eternally kind of weirded out by the degree of cast overlap between TMGS1 and Revolutionary Girl Utena but I probably shouldn't be.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I... I don't want to say that Serika's final scene redeems all this bullshit game.

I don't want to say that.

But good God that is such an amazing development. How was it received originally? Was it seen as an attempt to, like, rip off ghost hunter manga of the time or something?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Glazius posted:

I... I don't want to say that Serika's final scene redeems all this bullshit game.

I don't want to say that.

But good God that is such an amazing development. How was it received originally? Was it seen as an attempt to, like, rip off ghost hunter manga of the time or something?

People laughed, and went "wait, what game am I even playing?"

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Welcome to Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side, Tokimeki Memorial 3's better-looking fraternal twin.

Tokimemo Girl's Side Table of Contents

Tokimemo Girl's Side Chapter 1: A Whole New World
Tokimemo Girl's Side Chapter 2: When Will My Life Begin?
Tokimemo Girl's Side Chapter 3: I Wonder
Tokimemo Girl's Side Chapter 4: Learn Me Right
Tokimemo Girl's Side Chapter 5: Whistle While You Work
Tokimemo Girl's Side Chapter 6: Reflection
Tokimemo Girl's Side Chapter 7: Dig a Little Deeper
Tokimemo Girl's Side Chapter 8: Poor Unfortunate Souls
Tokimemo Girl's Side Chapter 9: I'll Make a Man Out of You
Tokimemo Girl's Side Chapter 10: (You're the) Devil in Disguise
Tokimemo Girl's Side Chapter 11: I Won't Say (I'm in Love)
Tokimemo Girl's Side Chapter 12: I See the Light
Tokimemo Girl's Side Chapter 13: Never Smile at a Crocodile
Tokimemo Girl's Side Chapter 14: A Spoonful of Sugar
Tokimemo Girl's Side Chapter 15: Go the Distance
Tokimemo Girl's Side Chapter 16: I've Got No Strings
Tokimemo Girl's Side Chapter 17: Almost There
Tokimemo Girl's Side Chapter 18: Someone's Waiting for You

What is Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side?

It's the other result of the Tokimemo Fund, which funded Tokimeki Memorial 3. As its name implies, it's aimed at the female gaming audience, trying to horn in on territory that Koei's famed Angelique series of female-oriented dating games had established in 1994. The game was released in June 2002, a full 6 months after Tokimemo 3 killed the male side of the franchise.

It didn't try to do anything especially new. 2D graphics. Game mechanics that didn't stray too far from that of other established games in the genre. A focus on writing and character, not on experimental graphics. And it became a wild success for just that reason. The game has, to date, been remade twice and has had two fairly successful sequels, which have also been rereleased for Nintendo DS.

I have all of these questions, why aren't they answered in this OP?

Because I want to play this game blind for my first time! That means no spoilers, please! I don't want to know what happens. I don't want to know who's in the cast until I meet them. I don't want to know how to get every event or how to deal with every new mechanic. I'm fine with advice, but please keep it general and not "you have to go to X date spot in Y season for Z event to happen". That ruins the purpose of a blind run.

Feel free to be entertained by my wild speculation and limited imagination! I'll go back and do a more thorough playthrough after this one, I promise.

So who are all these hot boys, anyway? Are they part of a band?

Beats me! I'll meet 'em when I meet 'em.

I can make some guesses based on their profile pictures, though. This section will be updated as I learn more about the characters!

Name: Hazuki Kei.

Archetype at a glance: Bad boy with a heart of gold.
Dangerous Hotness level: 9/10. He has a sort of young Leonardo DiCaprio vibe to him that probably means that he's either an underwear model or a biker.
Non-threatening Boys Magazine rating: 1/10. Watch out, girls, this one's going to steal your heart and ride off into the sunset with it! But he'll come back to you some day.
Voiced by: Midorikawa Hikaru!
Midorikawa Hikaru's signature robot role: Heero Yuy (Gundam Wing).

Midorikawa Hikaru's most, uh, "special" role: Kabukichou Mesugurohyoumonchou (Hikounin Sentai Akibaranger)

What I think every time he opens his mouth: "I will kill you."

Name: Morimura Sakuya.

Archetype at a glance: Loyal, bookish type who would never cheat on you because his self-confidence is low.
Dangerous Hotness level: 1/10. His reaction to a girl hitting on him would probably be utter confusion.
Non-threatening Boys Magazine rating: 10/10. Lisa Simpson would call a 900 number to listen to him talk about the latest book he's been reading.

Name: Suzuka Kazuma.

Archetype at a glance: Sporty, rough around the edges but one good woman short of being a gem.
Dangerous Hotness level: 6/10. The bandage on his face speaks to his brutish ways, but also speaks of a vulnerability that only you can reach, girls!
Non-threatening Boys Magazine rating: 7/10. He's brusque to everyone at first, but once you show him some TLC he'll be a puppy.

Name: Kijyo Madoka

Archetype at a glance: Playboy with a wandering eye.
Dangerous Hotness level: 10/10. He'll break your heart and won't even realize it.
Non-Threatening Boys Magazine rating: 3/10. He's just looking for the right girl to tame his wild heart, and that could very well be you!

Name: Mihara Shiki

Archetype at a glance: Arrogant rich kid
Dangerous Hotness level: 7/10. He and his clique of rich friends probably rule the school's social circles, and he'll give you a red card if you anger him! He'll also make fun of your economic status constantly, before finally admitting his admiration of your fiery spirit and defending you fiercely for the rest of the mangagame.
Non-Threatening Boys Magazine rating: 4/10. He's not as big of a bad boy as the others, but you'll have to crack through his facade of wealth and privilege first.

Name: Himuro Reiichi

Archetype at a glance: Hot teacher
Dangerous Hotness level: 4/10. Deceptive, however; most of the danger and hotness comes from the forbidden nature of the student-teacher relationship.
Non-Threatening Boys Magazine rating: 0/10. Those are the eyes of a stone-cold murderer.
Voiced by: Koyasu Takehito
Koyasu Takehito's signature robot roles: Zechs Merquise (Gundam Wing), Gym Ghingham (Turn A Gundam)

Koyasu Takehito's most, uh, "special" role: Komoro-kun the poisonous mushroom (Papuwa)

What I think every time he opens his mouth: ONOREEEEEEE

Name: (Fudou) Tsukushi

Archetype at a glance: Scheming little brother
Dangerous Hotness Level: Eww.
Non-Threatening Boys Magazine rating: Eww.
Voiced by: Orikasa Ai
Orikasa Ai's signature robot role: Quatre Raberba Winner (Gundam Wing)

Orikasa Ai's most, uh, "special" role: Kevin McAllister (Home Alone, Japanese dub)

What I think every time she opens her mouth: Ultimate! Gespenst! KiiiiIIiiiIIiIIIiIIck!

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 3, 2014

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
e: beaten.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Four-eyes is a crossdresser. You read it here first.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I have to say, after those ghastly khaki uniforms in the previous game, I'm happy to see some proper navy blue. The classics never go out of style.

That said, I can't fully approve of any dress code that permits Shiki's bolo tie. That's just tacky.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Finally, ground floor. For boys, but whatever.

Now, we could make it Goon's mission to make a man out of Morimura, however Only the MOST FABULOUS will do. Bolo Tie or not.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Looking forward to seeing which route shepe manages to stumble into, and whether the minigames are any less frustrating than they are in the DS version. (Sports festival :argh:)

FractalSandwich posted:

That said, I can't fully approve of any dress code that permits Shiki's bolo tie. That's just tacky.
That is far from the dumbest outfit you'll see in this game. We already saw at least one worse during sheep's stream.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I'm kind of impressed that you can put that much personality into the same outfit with variations. Untucked shirt and missing tie on tall dark and smirky so you can tell he's a real badass who don't play by society's rules, little bolo tie on the pretty one so you can tell he's rich as balls, and is that a sweatervest on the short one oh my god.

Hazuki doesn't seem to have a lot of personality markers going on, so I'm guessing he's the childhood friend. He's the only one not looking at the player like he wants to tap that, he looks more like he's looking at you like you just showed up to the beach in a suit jacket and clown pants.

I'm leaning towards Kazuma because he looks like he punches dudes and saves kittens from trees or Shiki because he's got pretty hair. Wanna steal that hair.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Hazuki's smack dab in the middle of the group, so he's probably this game's Shiori.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

This won't be the true girls manga experience if you don't somehow end up romantically involved with all of them while having them all (except Morimura, and possibly Suzuka) simultaneously treat you like trash until you end up with Hazuki because he's on the first goddamn cover and it's not like these characters can GROW and MATURE but instead they must FOLLOW THEIR HEART AND AGH

You hurt me so much.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
There's a lot more interest in this "Girls' Side" than I'd have expected.

Are a lot of y'all either female or LGBT?

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

sincx posted:

No to both, but I love Otome games and Shoujo manga, so I was looking forward to this one from the beginning.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

dating games for girls let me swoon over anime hunks, which is fun because it doesn't come with the same deepset feelings of shame as swooning over anime girls

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Voting for the bookish kid with glasses, he clearly needs more self confidence and a nice girl like us is the best way to achieve that! Also he looks like the nicest one by far and hopefully we can have some interesting conversations about books, books are awesome. :)

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

sincx posted:

I'm a straight Asian male and I like to play dressup in games. :colbert:

It's like half the reason I like Dark Souls.

EDIT: What the guy under me said too.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 26, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

sincx posted:

Nope, I'm mostly interested in the story and I like a good romance from either perspective.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
This game was super fun when I ran through it on the DS. I went for bookish guy and I accidentally started getting model looking guy after me. Naturally models before... Bookels or something so I did his ending instead. Tons of fun, I should see if I can find number two at my local pawnshop in my Aeon.

(I actually am a girl, but like many others have said, I like a good romance no matter what gender I'm playing.) I honestly think everyone here will have as much fun as I did with it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

sincx posted:

Nope, just enjoying romance stuff. Seeing it from the other side is just as fun.

But speaking of that, any chance for some hella yuri/yaoi in these games? :v:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Shoujo manga is hella addicting and I love them.

Well, the good ones (and some of the bad ones).

e: straight guy here

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I don't even know why you'd read this thread if you weren't a sucker for cheesy romance.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Bi here, but you can always enjoy a good romance :)

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
I can't wait to see how a group that are mostly guys lead by a guy tackle being a girl, also girl's reactions to that too.

Seriously Otome game stuff can be pretty fun just to follow the romance and guys written for the purpose of being for girls have some fun characteristics.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I'm gay, but I'm not really attracted to these representations of peak anime, I just have a deep and shameful love of shoujo stuff.

That being said, Goonette should definitely go for Suzuka, because the jock is always the sweetest one in otome games. :allears:

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
I couldn't help but think of this once I saw the guys, even through it's probably far too late:

Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side - At Least They're Not Pigeons!

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I am female and bi. Otome games and dating sims are a bit of a guilty pleasure. I'm really looking forward to seeing the reaction from people who have never played an otome game before. I'm really glad this is a blind run!

Poil posted:

Nope, just enjoying romance stuff. Seeing it from the other side is just as fun.

I'm not sure whether I should answer this, since it involves game mechanics. :ohdear: Maybe I should put it behind a spoiler tag, or answer it later?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Catalina posted:

I am female and bi. Otome games and dating sims are a bit of a guilty pleasure. I'm really looking forward to seeing the reaction from people who have never played an otome game before. I'm really glad this is a blind run!

I'm not sure whether I should answer this, since it involves game mechanics. :ohdear: Maybe I should put it behind a spoiler tag, or answer it later?
If you remember to do it later, please do that if it doesn't come up in the lp. :)

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Bi woman here as well (and I happen to think those guys are pretty good-looking). That said, I like romances in general. Even if it was about a rock dating other rocks, I would read it as long as it was decently written.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
I'm a gay dude but I've been around the thread since Tokimeki 1 V:v:V

If nothing else this turn of events has left me excited to make use of :sparkles: again
We are going to date every boy

Fang Blade Havoc
Jun 8, 2011

Luke what are you doing, stop that

Poil posted:

In my experience with dating sims at large, it is extremely uncommon for a game to allow actual romance/relationship routes for more than one gender. There's the designated gender you're allowed to date, and then there's besties forever!! with anyone else. How self-aware and euphemistic the latter is varies, but it tends to look more like "and so at the end of my dateless highschool life, I, Goon, and my best friend smugface have decided to look for our soulmates together". (All that being said I never actually went for galpal endings in GS, so I'm just running on a very confident assumption.)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Straight male here, and like hell I'm not sticking for this. Partly because I'm honestly interested in the story of the game, partly because I absolutely must see how this game does right everything Tokimemo 3 did wrong (people have been talking really well about the Girl's Side series and how it did what Tokimemo 3 failed to, and that has left me really interested), and...well, I kinda enjoy sappy love stories.

Plus part of me hopes for weird and wacky stuff like the three previous games had. I mean, even the worst of the franchise had Persona 4's long-lost female MC Serika, and we had goddamn mad scientist Yuina in Tokimemo 1, and Tokimemo 2 has a Kamen Rider that we absolutely must date at some point goddammit and the entire Banchou story, so I absolutely expect that at least one of these guys will be really, really weird, and it will be hilarious.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
Female, straight, no particular interest in dating sims per se but I just think it's fun to watch. I'm interested in girl's side to see if they have accurately reflected the drama and bullshit quotient of being a teenage girl in high school.

And boys I guess. Go for the shy nerdy boy.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Noo the shy nerdy boy is inevitably going to go bomb central when we talk to anybody else, we need to date all the boys!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bi guy, romance animes all day. Please let us end up with Glasses, he's adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Gay lady, played GS1 because the girl's side games are the Tokimekis with an english patch. They're plenty enjoyable from a cheesy romance perspective, no attraction to dudes required. The clothing system, not so much unless you really love frilly skirts and whatnot. (Although at least it functions, unlike the one in TM3)

Fang Blade Havoc posted:

In my experience with dating sims at large, it is extremely uncommon for a game to allow actual romance/relationship routes for more than one gender. There's the designated gender you're allowed to date, and then there's besties forever!! with anyone else
Or to put it another way, you're not getting hella yuri/yaoi unless it's a game dedicated to being hella yuri/yaoi.

• Locked thread