Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Many many many ladies (and men) would disagree

That hair. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

They hosed up making him cockney cause Tennant's natural Scottish accent is real fuckin sexy.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Zaggitz posted:

They hosed up making him cockney cause Tennant's natural Scottish accent is real fuckin sexy.

I could listen to him say Miller like he does Broadchurch all day.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Zaggitz posted:

making him cockney
:frogout:

He sounds about a Cockney as a Somerset farmer. If you don't know what it is, don't talk about it. (Similar sentiments for people trying to talk about Rose being a 'chav' and what that means etc)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sleep of Bronze posted:

(Similar sentiments for people trying to talk about Rose being a 'chav' and what that means etc)

I was going to say that about Rose a while back. I didn't know what the term "chav" was, so I Googled it, and...well the Wikipedia description at least doesn't really sound like Rose.

Wikipedia posted:

The stereotype was popularised in the first decade of the 21st century by the British mass media to refer to an anti-social youth subculture in the United Kingdom. The Oxford Dictionary defines "chav" as an informal British derogatory, meaning a young lower-class person who displays brash and loutish behaviour and wears real or imitation designer clothes.

edit: But, again, I don't really know what a chav is.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 25, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Don't both of them have an Estuary accent? I remember the "official" reason for Tennant talking the way he does was that Rose had influenced him for the regeneration. :rolleyes:

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

Bicyclops posted:

Don't both of them have an Estuary accent?
Yes, but most Americans are only aware of two English accents: RP and "cockney". I expect a lot of fans would say that Eccleston had a cockney accent.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I said this already but yeah Rose is definitely not a chav. Cassandra-as-Rose saying it in New Earth is a reference to dumb people in reviews and online saying she was.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Grey Area posted:

Yes, but most Americans are only aware of two English accents: RP and "cockney". I expect a lot of fans would say that Eccleston had a cockney accent.

I guess it's sort of like how the only three locations in America for British TV are New York City, the White House and the Wild West and the only locations in the U.K. to Americans are Victorian London and the Cornish moors.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I knew Rose wasn't a chav because she had a job

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
The fact that some skinlady from 5 billion years in the future even knows what a chav is proves that chav culture is built on a solid, enduring bedrock. Rose would be lucky to count herself among their ranks

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Soothing Vapors posted:

The fact that some skinlady from 5 billion years in the future even knows what a chav is proves that chav culture is built on a solid, enduring bedrock. Rose would be lucky to count herself among their ranks

Also that Soft Cell and Britney Spears have some serious shelf-life and everyone should be collecting all those albums right now.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Sleep of Bronze posted:

:frogout:

He sounds about a Cockney as a Somerset farmer. If you don't know what it is, don't talk about it. (Similar sentiments for people trying to talk about Rose being a 'chav' and what that means etc)

No need to neg the gently caress out bro. My point still stands that Scottish Tennant is the best Tennant.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Judging from that Bechdel derail this thread is already full of people not knowing what things are. Why stop now?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

I think the point is that, no, Moffat's episodes don't pass the Bechdel test, but neither do Davies episodes. So what the hell is the point of pointing out that Moffat's episodes don't? Shouldn't it just be said that Doctor Who doesn't pass the Bechdel test? It's not like anyone brought it up in a Davies written episode, while it was equally true there.

Actually, I'd probably have thought the same thing but someone checked and the Davies era passes far more often - in the case of one companion's tenure, in every single episode she's in.

The Davies era passes the test around 80% to 100% of the time, has more female speaking time per episode and more women in the cast on average, while the Moffat era passes around 50% of the time. Here's a link to an infographic chart they made.

I don't know what that conclusively says really about RTD and Moffat - for my money, Moffat's the better writer and RTD's woman characters can be very sexist and eye-rolly. It's certainly something to consider, though.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I'd love to know how much you'd have to hate yourself to watch every Dr. Who episode closely enough to time Rose Tyler's speaking time

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It was actually a bunch of people, so they probably split up the work as unto like shifts in a sun-lorn coal mine.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'd love to know how much you'd have to hate yourself to watch every Dr. Who episode closely enough to time Rose Tyler's speaking time

Probably about the same amount of hate as someone who would watch Doctor Who despite hating it for the amusement of some goons.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Android Blues posted:

Actually, I'd probably have thought the same thing but someone checked and the Davies era passes far more often - in the case of one companion's tenure, in every single episode she's in.

The Davies era passes the test around 80% to 100% of the time, has more female speaking time per episode and more women in the cast on average, while the Moffat era passes around 50% of the time. Here's a link to an infographic chart they made.

I was surprised that Rose wasn't the longest running companion. She only felt like that. :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Probably about the same amount of hate as someone who would watch Doctor Who despite hating it for the amusement of some goons.

And even then my ornery companion does not appear to hate this ridiculous series a tenth as much as you. Want to sign on? I kid.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Doctor Who casting information is front page news on national newspapers.

The Adventures of Jack Bauer have influenced US Supreme Court Decisions. :smug:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ALL HAIL THE GOD KING BREAKING BAD

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Grey Area posted:

Here is a helpful chart for Americans.

Pretty sure that's right?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Well as we saw, David Tennant was on a horse. Check and mate.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

SirSamVimes posted:

Well as we saw, David Tennant was on a horse. Check and mate.

This show has a weird horse fixation.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bicyclops posted:

Don't both of them have an Estuary accent? I remember the "official" reason for Tennant talking the way he does was that Rose had influenced him for the regeneration. :rolleyes:

Not to start a debate, but aren't Estuary and Cockney related? It's no clear cut thing.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Kurtofan posted:

Not to start a debate, but aren't Estuary and Cockney related? It's no clear cut thing.

You can think of Estuary as a softer variant of Cockney, if you like. But I thought Ten's accent was pretty soft even by the standards of Estuary, so Cockney is right out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

It's Great Britain, there are no clear accent borders anywhere. All you can do is drop a few pins and say which one any given person is closest to.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Estuary's a descendant of Cockney, and is a sort of half-way point between that and RP. It's a homogenised compromise accent that is arguably a response to a shift in public sentiment against the snootiness and oppressive class associations of Received Pronunciation. In decades gone past it was considered quite enviable and good to speak proper RP, and while that's still the case in certain circles, there are far more media outlets and celebrities speaking in comfortably "everyman" Estuary now that would have been speaking RP back in the 80s.

The Cockney accent itself is more or less dead or well on the way to dying, and Estuary has so much cultural currency that it's spreading across the traditionally highly accent-varied UK like a creeping vine. You'll get a lot of younger people in Somerset, Yorkshire and even Scotland speaking with a pronounced Estuary influence these days.

But yeah, Ten speaks with a rather soft/upper-crusty Estuary accent. Almost every Doctor before him spoke some variant of RP (not Eccles, of course!), so it's indicative of the shift in cultural values that no revival Doctor has. What once was seen as an accent indicative of comforting, authoritative wisdom would now make the character seem stuffy, cold or overprivileged.

On the whole this is probably a good sign, given it indicates a general scepticism about the cultural markers of the rich and high-born that the Doctor has historically appropriated. Of course, there's more to it than that, but probably that is a discussion for another time!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Android Blues posted:

Estuary's a descendant of Cockney, and is a sort of half-way point between that and RP.

Funny, a 'half-way point between Cockney and RP' is kinda what I've always thought of as the starting point for the Australian/New Zealand accents, although it's obviously evolved by itself for a while. (And then the difference between Australian and New Zealand can partly be recognised as the effect Irish and Scottish must have had; New Zealand had a great deal more Scottish than Irish migrants and Australia was the other way around, and you can kinda hear relics in their relative accents now)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 26, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
I always find that Estuary's applied much more broadly than it should be, as a categorisation of accent. People will throw it over great swathes of the South because the accents happen to share that fact of being a bit less posh than RP, ignoring the fact that they have lots of other markers to separate them.

I blame a) Londoners who have never managed to get outside Zone 1, b) Northerners because blaming them is never wrong, and c) foreigners who heard that Estuary is an accent and want to show off that they are aware of something other than cockney and RP.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

What we can all agree on is that we're all looking forward to the day that the Doctor speaks the only proper to way to speak English: with a thick Boston accent, while wearing a Red Sox cap.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Or just have him regenerate into John Goodman and be done with it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Look I just want to know what accent it is that makes Rose say "fink" instead of "think" and how we can eradicate it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

What we can all agree on is that we're all looking forward to the day that the Doctor speaks the only proper to way to speak English: with a thick Boston accent, while wearing a Red Sox cap.

The guy who voiced JFK in Clone High should play the Doctor.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Bown posted:

The guy who voiced JFK in Clone High should play the Doctor.

That would be now famous director/screenwriter Chris Miller, of 21 Jump Street and Lego Movie fame.

I could dig it.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Soothing Vapors posted:

Look I just want to know what accent it is that makes Rose say "fink" instead of "think" and how we can eradicate it

It's called "TH fronting", according to Wikipedia. It's how cool people speak, like me.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There are a plethora of British accents, not just the two, and a great variety of local lexicons which use different words and phrases for things than we might be used to, just here in these great United States.

Makes you fink.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Rose and Mickey's accents are both closest to what linguists call MLE, which is the accent that's almost completely replaced Cockney among people who actually live in London. If they grew up further east, somewhere in Essex, they'd speak like the Doctor does; Estuary is what happened when actual Cockneys moved into Essex and their accent started merging with the similar-but-different local one.

Here's a couple of MLE speakers having a chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

Rose and Mickey's accents are both closest to what linguists call MLE, which is the accent that's almost completely replaced Cockney among people who actually live in London. If they grew up further east, somewhere in Essex, they'd speak like the Doctor does; Estuary is what happened when actual Cockneys moved into Essex and their accent started merging with the similar-but-different local one.

Here's a couple of MLE speakers having a chat.

This is actually really cool reading and the links within the article lead to more interesting reading, thank you.

• Locked thread